Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,552 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:09 AM

Okiro Now Police Ig - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okiro Now Police Ig (5672 Views)

Ibrahim Coomasie, Son Of Abacha’s Police IG Shows Off Wealth (PHOTOS) / Why I Fired Police IG, Suleiman Abba – Jonathan / Acting Police IG, Solomon Arase, Senior To Outgoing Police Boss, Suleiman Abba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okiro Now Police Ig by Mamajama(m): 2:48pm On Jun 02, 2007
WIth this development, what will ONOVO do, will he be force to retire, or work with his junior?

Mr. Mike Mbama Okiro has been appointed Acting Inspector-Gen-eral of Police to replace Mr. Sunday Ehin-dero, who yesterday retired from the Force.
A statement from the Office of the Senior Special Assistant to the President (Media) and signed by Mr. Musa Adwak said that the appointment of Okiro has been approved by President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=79811
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by McKren(m): 3:10pm On Jun 02, 2007
Ogbonna ONOVO should resign, hold his head up high and wish Mike Okiro goodluck.
He should be proud of himself for serving Nigeria, he should also be proud that he did not loose out as a result of incompetence but his geopolitical zone.
He should also have no regrets that he is from Enugu state but then he should hope and pray for a Nigeria where those from his State and Geopolitical zone are Nigerian enough to be named IGP.
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by docokwy(m): 3:31pm On Jun 02, 2007
Drama, as Okiro is named new Police IG
By Kingsley Omonobi
Posted to the Web: Saturday, June 02, 2007

ABUJA — PRESIDENT  Umar Musa Yar’Adua, yesterday, appointed Mr. Mike Okiro as 13th Inspector-General of Police. Until his appointment, the new IGP  was the Deputy Inspector-General in charge of Works.

The appointment of Okiro was confirmed via a statement signed by Musa Aduwak, Senior Special Assistant, Media to the President. Okiro’s selection as IGP  followed a day of drama regarding the refusal of his predecessor, Mr. Sunday Ehindero to hand over to his former number two, DIG Ogbonna Onovo on the  grounds that he (Ehindero) was not authorized to do so.

Things dramatically changed when Ehindero was later called from the presidency and directed to go and hand over the instruments of office to Onovo because there  cannot be a vacuum in the Police chain of command. But no sooner had Onovo received the instruments of office from Ehindero as acting IG that the President was  said to have made his decision based on advice of his security chiefs and kitchen cabinet.

Saturday Vanguard gathered that the high-wire lobbying and pressure mounted on President Yar’Adua to announce a Police boss from the North since former  President Olusegun Obasanjo appointed the IGP that worked with him from the South-West, tilted the appointment in favour of Okiro.
Onovo was said to have lost out in the last minute when powerful forces were said to have argued that giving such a sensitive position of the number one security  organization to an Igbo man, could be dangerous.

The new IG who hails from Rivers state, is an alumnus of the Nigerian Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies and was at one time, Lagos State Police  Commissioner and DIG Operations before he was made DIG Works, the number three position in the force.

As an Igbo, I should have been sad about these discriminations, but somehow I am happy instead that Nigeria keeps pushing certain component parts to the wall. When the corner becomes too tight, such people bounce back to gain some space. This is 2007 and not 1967. Meanwhile ONOVO should resign.
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by chrisokw: 3:34pm On Jun 02, 2007
Okiro is from Ogba-Egbema-Ndoni LGA (ONELGA) of Rivers state, where Peter Odili former Rivers Gov is from. They are Igbo-speaking people. So no shaking.
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by McKren(m): 3:37pm On Jun 02, 2007
chrisokw:

Okiro is from Ogba-Egbema-Ndoni LGA (ONELGA) of Rivers state, where Peter Odili former Rivers Gov is from. They are Igbo-speaking people. So no shaking.

You have no clue what is going on.
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by chrisokw: 3:43pm On Jun 02, 2007
McKren:

You have no clue what is going on.

I know what you mean. But that does not negate the fact that he is Igbo-speaking.
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by McKren(m): 4:00pm On Jun 02, 2007
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by babasin(m): 4:06pm On Jun 02, 2007
This is just the begining, wait till yaradua, the sharia apologist finish with you all,

grin cheesy grin
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by dazangel11(f): 6:10pm On Jun 02, 2007
Drama, as Okiro is named new Police IG
By Kingsley Omonobi
Posted to the Web: Saturday, June 02, 2007

ABUJA — PRESIDENT Umar Musa Yar’Adua, yesterday, appointed Mr. Mike Okiro as 13th Inspector-General of Police. Until his appointment, the new IGP was the Deputy Inspector-General in charge of Works.

The appointment of Okiro was confirmed via a statement signed by Musa Aduwak, Senior Special Assistant, Media to the President. Okiro’s selection as IGP followed a day of drama regarding the refusal of his predecessor, Mr. Sunday Ehindero to hand over to his former number two, DIG Ogbonna Onovo on the grounds that he (Ehindero) was not authorized to do so.

Things dramatically changed when Ehindero was later called from the presidency and directed to go and hand over the instruments of office to Onovo because there cannot be a vacuum in the Police chain of command. But no sooner had Onovo received the instruments of office from Ehindero as acting IG that the President was said to have made his decision based on advice of his security chiefs and kitchen cabinet.

Saturday Vanguard gathered that the high-wire lobbying and pressure mounted on President Yar’Adua to announce a Police boss from the North since former President Olusegun Obasanjo appointed the IGP that worked with him from the South-West, tilted the appointment in favour of Okiro.
Onovo was said to have lost out in the last minute when powerful forces were said to have argued that giving such a sensitive position of the number one security organization to an Igbo man, could be dangerous.

The new IG who hails from Rivers state, is an alumnus of the Nigerian Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies and was at one time, Lagos State Police Commissioner and DIG Operations before he was made DIG Works, the number three position in the force.

The man, Mike Mbama Okiro

Date of birth: July 24, 1949.
Place of birth: Oguta, Imo state.
Home town: Egbema
LGA of origin: Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni
State of origin: Rivers
Schools attended:
University of Ibadan, BA (English); University of Lagos, MPA (Masters in Public Administration; University of Jos, LLB, LLM (Law); National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru, Plateau, mni.
Job experience:
NYSC Maiduguri, 1976-1977; Nigeria Police Force Force (1977 to date).

Posts held:
Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Central Police Station, Port Harcourt; Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Obigbo, Rivers state; Divisional Crime Officer (DCO) Aguata, Anambra state; Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Uwani, Enugu state; Chief Superintendent of Police (Admin) (CSP ‘A’), State Headquarters, Enugu state; Chief Superintendent of Police (CSP) (CSP ‘A’), Police College, Ikeja; Divisional Police Officer (DPO), Bode Thomas Police Station, Surulere, Lagos; Member, Armed Robbery and Firearms Tribunal, Lagos; Area Commander, Area ‘C’ Surulere, Lagos; Assistant Commissioner of Police Operations (ACP ‘OPS’), Lagos state; Deputy Commissioner of Police Operations (DC, Ops), Lagos state; Second in Command, Ogun stater Police Command; Deputy Commandant, Police Staff College, Jos; Commissioner of Police, Benue; Commissioner of Police, Lagos; Deputy Inspector-General of Police ‘B’ Department (Operations), Force Headquarters, Abuja.

Position held before yesterday’s appointment:
Deputy Inspector-General, ‘C’ Department (Works and Logistics), Force Headquarters, Abuja.
Membership of professional bodies:
Member, Nigerian Institute of Management; Member, Nigerian Institute of Personnel Management; Fellow, Chartered Institute of Administrators; Fellow, Institute of Corporate Administrators; Member, International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP).

Honours & Awards:
Knight of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem; Nigeria Police Medal, NPM; Atunluse of Lagos; Agunechemba of Egbema; Ochendo Ndigbo Lagos; Ochiagha of Akpulu, Orlu; Seriki Babatolu of Gbagura, Abeokuta; Bamofin of Ipaja, Lagos; Baba Agbakin of Oniru, Lagos.

This is Shit.
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by ijogbon(m): 6:49pm On Jun 02, 2007
@above post

And He is not igbo enough for some people.

Born in Ibo land and served most of his time in ibo land.
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by McKren(m): 7:08pm On Jun 02, 2007
@Ijogbon

You see forget your spin, the Presidency had a policy of wanting Ehindero's second in command to take over and chose to bypass him for obvious reasons. That is not fair.

There is no point talking about him not being Igbo enough. Well if you want to play it that way then let me inform you if you go to Mike Okiro's village Ndoni or Ikwere in Rivers State and call them Igbos you may not come back alive.

That is a fallout of the blackmail and cold war, the IBBs, Gusaus and Danjumas have over the years ochestrated against the Igbos in the South East.

Trust me this is just a continuation of that cold war and I have a feeling that those who prevented Ekwueme from being President in 1999 because the Igbo man must never be trusted and chose to install OBJ who as it were then was in Prison could still be those behind this move.

When will the Spin masters go to rest so that we can truly be one people.

Just look at it this way, amongst the heir to the post of IGP, ONOVO was most qualified, had 5years left in his service, higher than Okiro on the police strata and yet younger than him in age. What is there reason for edging him out when the Presidency had already announced that second in command should take over
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by debosky(m): 7:14pm On Jun 02, 2007
but he IS Igbo, or must someone necessarily come from the Igbo dominant SE states to be igbo?

there is a thread on this forum about how all igbos whether they call themselves ikwerre or anything else are one and the same.

there are many cases where the second in command doesn't take over, take Atiku's case for once, Onovo was told to assume the post in acting capacity, but the incoming president made his OWN choice and decided on Okiro for the position. all these claims that its 'fear of an igbo man in a sensitive position' don't hold much water with me, it seems to just be another rumor/ploy to whip up ethnic/sectional sentiments and begin to cause problems for the new government. Okiro is the new IG, let him simply get on with the job, there is far too much of this linking each and every action to tribal levels.
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by docokwy(m): 7:46pm On Jun 02, 2007
If Peter Odili is considered Igbo, then Okiro is Igbo. Moreover he was born in Imo and trained in Abia. So? Enough of all these senseless banters and let the man get to work.
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by ijogbon(m): 7:52pm On Jun 02, 2007
@McKren
I have never been one to blame my failures and shortcomings on other MEN like me. My DESTINY is in my hands as given by GOD.

Now you said -

McKren:

@Ijogbon

You see forget your spin, 1the Presidency had a policy of wanting Ehindero's second in command to take over and chose to bypass him for obvious reasons. That is not fair.

2There is no point talking about him not being Igbo enough. Well if you want to play it that way then let me inform you if you go to Mike Okiro's village Ndoni or Ikwere in Rivers State and call them Igbos you may not come back alive.

3That is a fallout of the blackmail and cold war, the IBBs, Gusaus and Danjumas have over the years ochestrated against the Igbos in the South East.

Trust me this is just a continuation of that cold war and I have a feeling that those who prevented Ekwueme from being President in 1999 because the Igbo man must never be trusted[b]4[/b] and chose to install OBJ who as it were then was in Prison could still be those behind this move.

When will the Spin masters go to rest so that we can truly be one people.

Just look at it this way, amongst the heir to the post of IGP, ONOVO was most qualified, had 5years left in his service, higher than Okiro on the police strata and yet younger than him in age. What is there reason for edging him out when the Presidency had already announced that second in command should take over

I will answer thus:

please see my posting on this link - https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-56575.0.html#msg1163921

1. In reply to your point (marked 1 in the quote) - The presidency 'had' a policy ? Which presidency? the new one or the presidency as an office? In any case, if the presidency had a policy and the presidency 'changed' its policy that is the presidency's perogative. Secondly, since when did Life become fair? Chance favours the prepared they say.

2. My posting on the link above should argue this point to a conclusion.

3. I don't think your blaming Northerners or anyone else for the failings in the south-east gives the Igbo spirit of taking their destiny in their hands any respect (See my very first statement on this reply). The problems between the Igbos politically and socially precede the conception of the above named 'gentlemen'. Ekwueme for president ? Please spare me. Some school children don't even know who that is. What does he stand for? Is he a democrat, republican, technocrat, looter, crony, ally? My point is that - If you don't stand for anything you will fall for anything. I am a Nigerian and Old enough, I know what IBB stood for, Abacha same, OBJ, Chinua Achebe, Soludo, Okonjo-Iweala etc. But pray tell what does Ekwueme represent. He had his chance - He blew it !

As I believe the appointment of Okiro was a deft diplomatic and strategic move:

1. He was born in Ibo land and has served severally in ibo land. So should be a good choice for Igbos.

2. He is from the Niger delta. So he can bring his expertise while serving there and ties of his roots to bear on the security situation in the country.

3. He is a well known Nigerian who has served in all parts of the country and performed.

Simple.
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by Sijien(m): 7:56pm On Jun 02, 2007
some people can never be satisfied.
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by Danmasani(m): 7:59pm On Jun 02, 2007
Okiro or Onovo, both from Rivers state and Ibo speaking does not guarrantee an effective Inspector General. It is what whichever has achieved or will achieve that will make the difference. The Nigerian Police at the moment is at its lowest ebb. Whoever takes charge must reverse this.
I also find it quite interesting that the Ikwerre's are not considered Ibo enough. Its high time tribal discords stops. Statements like Ibo man at "sensitve position" are ridiculous. Once upon a time, we had Nnamani, Soludo, Okonjo-Iweala, Akinyuli, Ezekwelsi among others in top spots. Is that not sensitive enough? No one complained because they effectively did their job. That what the Nigerian police needs, hope Okiro does just that!
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by Sijien(m): 8:00pm On Jun 02, 2007
tell them o
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by Danmasani(m): 8:07pm On Jun 02, 2007
The same discord at the moment is been played at the Nigerian Senate. Because the Senate Pres and Deputy are christians, eyebrows are being raised. We really need to go beyond that. in 1993, SDP filed two muslims and won the most successfull election in Nigerian history. Nigeria should develop and do more of that!
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by adconline(m): 8:22pm On Jun 02, 2007
what would you call a situation where your junior was promoted to lead your office? as for me its discrimination. maybe racial or tribal
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by Danmasani(m): 8:27pm On Jun 02, 2007
adconline:

what would you call a situation where your junior was promoted to lead your office? as for me its discrimination. maybe racial or tribal

what will u call a situation when a president acts within the powers bestowed on him to appoint whoever he deems fit for a position- Exercise of Presidential Might and that is Constituitional my friend!
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by debosky(m): 8:47pm On Jun 02, 2007
his junior was not promoted 'over' him, it is obvious that once someone lower is to take a higher position than his immediate superior, that signals the retirement of the superior officer.

people just want to find fault with the appointment. bottom line : Yar'Adua determined who he wanted his IG to be, it is not necessary that the next most senior officer take over. Obj retired all the senior military officers who had held political positions in order to appoint his own people, that is simply the case that has occured here.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200705280916.html

these folks obviously regard Onovo AND Okiro as both being Igbo, thus an Igbo man is now the IG, even though his state of origin may not be 'igbo', that does not negate his ethnic background.
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by olutomiwa(m): 9:00pm On Jun 02, 2007
Wen are we going to stop all this TRIBAL bullshit wen?abeg the thing is tearing us apart and our leaders are using it to DIVIDE US.Does it really matter where the guy comes from?does it?
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by adconline(m): 9:28pm On Jun 02, 2007
olumutiwa
Wen are we going to stop all this TRIBAL bullshit when?abeg the thing is tearing us apart and our leaders are using it to DIVIDE US.Does it really matter where the guy comes from?does it?

Maybe you should tell Yar'dua not to be president, because he is not more qualified than Utomi and Duke. Tell also PDP to do away with zoning arrangement. Nigerians acting like they live in space.
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by angel101(f): 9:34pm On Jun 02, 2007
zoning is not a PDP thing it's a nigerian thing. anyway, i think okiro deserves the job and i hope he does it well.
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by docokwy(m): 9:50pm On Jun 02, 2007
Debosky thanks for the link. It is clear that Igbos are ok with Okiro. He is a true Igbo son. Case closed.
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by Iman3(m): 9:51pm On Jun 02, 2007
docokwy:

Debosky thanks for the link. It is clear that Igbos are ok with Okiro. He is a true Igbo son. Case closed.

If Docokwy is satisfied,then all Igbos have no reason to complain grin
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by debosky(m): 9:53pm On Jun 02, 2007
Is he the Eze Ndigbo of Nairaland or something?
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by Iman3(m): 10:15pm On Jun 02, 2007
debosky:

Is he the Eze Ndigbo of Nairaland or something?

He sees tribalism everywhere.If he says there is no tribalism here against Igbos ,then there is none grin
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jun 02, 2007
@McKren

What is your point exactly?. . .That they are trying to create rifts between Rivers/Delta Igbos and other Igbos?
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by Nobody: 5:50am On Jun 03, 2007
Hopefully people who will hang themselves before they admit there are Igbos in Rivers and Delta states will learn a lesson!
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by Mamajama(m): 4:14pm On Jun 04, 2007
What happened to let the best candidate wins? why must it all be about ethnicity?
Re: Okiro Now Police Ig by BUSHFELLOW(m): 4:37pm On Jun 04, 2007
MAMAJAM why are worried about who steps into the former IG shoes not to worry his mess wont be exposed after all he helped in also rigging the election so why will a president or a new IG Be interested in exposing some one who help them through the back door.

So who ever becomes the new ig no worry your self about am you hear. at least worry about who becomes the next American president at least that is where you spend most of your time. ABI NO BE SO

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Saraki The God Father Of Kwara State Politics Secrete Agenda Exposed / Zonning:Jonathan or IBB remove North or edo,delta and Yorubas(satellte pics) / Pensioners Protesting In Front Of Unity Bank Building, Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.