Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,198 members, 7,822,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:08 AM

Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative (28130 Views)

Coronavirus: Indian Contractor At Dangote Refinery Tests Negative / Coronavirus: Suspected Case In Enugu Tests Negative / Nigerian Tests Negative For Coronavirus After First Testing Positive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Reference(m): 8:10am On Feb 27, 2020
eyinjuege:

The deaths of those Drs are controversial and I'm sure you must have heard conspiracy theories that they could have been murdered for whistle blowing.
Who are the 2000 deaths that died? Were they young people or elderly / immunocompromised ones?
Pls do not think I'm saying elderly people should be allowed to die ooo, the virus shouldn't be taken with levity either.
However, misinformation is worse than no information at all.
Neither am I saying those who drink,smoke, have HIV should die from the corona. I just raised possible points that could cause lowered immunity in fit young people, who we know have their own lifestyle.

The vulnerable demographic are the elderly, children those with compromised immune systems and those with pre existing respiratory challenges, e.g asthmatic folks.

A worrying problem about this virus is that even those who recover are discovered to have residual lung damage, scarring.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by fatymore(f): 8:11am On Feb 27, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Not that we don't care. But it's a question of diplomacy. We need China more than China needs us. All the rails, roads, even oil now is China so you see why we can't afford to "run away" from them now that they have this kind of issue? It will look like a betrayal.

Diplomacy to the detriment of Her citizens... Ok oo

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Agboriotejoye(m): 8:15am On Feb 27, 2020
fatymore:

Diplomacy to the detriment of Her citizens... Ok oo
Lol
Well... It's an African thing not just Nigeria. No African country has evacuated it's citizens or issued a travel ban. We owe China big time man.
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by executive12: 8:18am On Feb 27, 2020
Young03:
It can't survive in Africa

It has entered Algeria.
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by fortri: 8:20am On Feb 27, 2020
Naso our military tell us say dey don technically destroy or defeat boko haram but boko haram don totally take over north east.

Abeg make FG keep that man quarantine ham,quaranhold ham,quarantire ham,quaranseize ham,quarankeep ham for their clinic abeg abeg abeg.
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Ozioma49(m): 8:25am On Feb 27, 2020
Na to relocate go village for now grin
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by kutashi: 8:28am On Feb 27, 2020
RisenPhoenix:

Do you know, not a single black man has been reported dead from it. I'm beginning to think that this may be right. Africans are immune to its worst effects. Maybe it might give us a mild cold.
Worst can not fight worst but one can only be a host to another! grin grin grin

I have said before not a single Nigerian will die from this 'coro' problem (InshaAllah)! Awa gan ti 'Coro' tipepe!

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Gerrard59(m): 8:37am On Feb 27, 2020
eyinjuege:

1. Many hospitals even abroad lack the facilities to detect corona virus and the samples are usually sent to special centres for that. Same with ebola. There are also centers for that in Nigeria, for Lagos state , it is the IDH (infectious disease hospital) aka mainland hospital at Yaba

2. Incubation period is not more than a month. A simple google search would have shown that.
Go to the CDC website and confirm. Quarantine period is usually advised to be 2 weeks from last date of exposure, and not even one month.

The reddingnton man has been back from China since 7weeks ago, wayyy longer than the incubation / quarantine period. He probably has malaria. (Unless he has recently been with another friend who just came back from travel)

3. If he has been infected with corona virus and it's been up to 2-4 weeks, they will still be able to diagnose and confirm it in the laboratory.

To those who are panicking already, majority of those infected with the virus do not die. The recorded deaths are elderly individuals, the very young children and those with reduced immunity for one reason or another. Those are the most vulnerable groups. Their own immunity is usually lower than it should be.

If you are a young, fit person, your body should normally be able to fight it unless you've smoked away your immunity with cigarettes or drank it all away with excessive alcohol, or sexed it away with HIV.

grin

Inside life!

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by baratech: 8:40am On Feb 27, 2020
The stoopid government will not put travel ban in place now
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Elxandre(m): 8:42am On Feb 27, 2020
eyinjuege:

1. Many hospitals even abroad lack the facilities to detect corona virus and the samples are usually sent to special centres for that. Same with ebola. There are also centers for that in Nigeria, for Lagos state , it is the IDH (infectious disease hospital) aka mainland hospital at Yaba

2. Incubation period is not more than a month. A simple google search would have shown that.
Go to the CDC website and confirm. Quarantine period is usually advised to be 2 weeks from last date of exposure, and not even one month.

The reddingnton man has been back from China since 7weeks ago, wayyy longer than the incubation / quarantine period. He probably has malaria. (Unless he has recently been with another friend who just came back from travel)

3. If he has been infected with corona virus and it's been up to 2-4 weeks, they will still be able to diagnose and confirm it in the laboratory.

To those who are panicking already, majority of those infected with the virus do not die. The recorded deaths are elderly individuals, the very young children and those with reduced immunity for one reason or another. Those are the most vulnerable groups. Their own immunity is usually lower than it should be.
If you are a young, fit person, your body should normally be able to fight it unless you've smoked away your immunity with cigarettes or drank it all away with excessive alcohol, or sexed it away with HIV.
And young people don't have young children and elderly as relatives
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Truthbites: 8:44am On Feb 27, 2020
Big lie. Do u think Nigerian hospital has the equipment to check the virus? They are just lying ..nor be only thermometer them get for hospital? Since coronavirus is new, how did our hospital get the means to check? Any micro biologist or doctor to help here?
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by eyinjuege: 8:47am On Feb 27, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

Controversial how? I don't know where you're getting your info from but the first doctor died in hospital and was recognised by the Chinese govt as a national hero which is even rare for China to do. Don't bring conspiracies that don't exist. China have been as open as anyone else with the virus. There's nothing to suggest only old people have died from it or people with other health issues. The fact is, it kind of agitates the body's immune system especially in severe cases such that it begins to kill off infected tissues and organs itself not just the virus alone.
This leads to organ failure and in extreme cases death. The best bet is early detection so the body's immune system does not reach that point.

The Chinese government were not initially open about this virus. They knew about it long before the good Dr decided to make it public, when he realised they weren't doing anything about it and covering it up. There was an initial cover up, and China citizens knew nothing about the virus. The Chinese government have not been innocent in the spreading this virus, please. It's been going on for longer than the world knew about it.
Of course he is a hero in China for doing the right thing, and if weren't for him, it would have spread beyond what it is now. The world would have initially thought it originated in South Korea or Spain or the middle east or any other country trying to curb its spread before they would have traced it to China, wasting a lot of time in the process.
There is a lot to suggest those who have died from it had existing health issues, and also elderly. Pls note- I am talking of mortality here, and not just getting infected. Of course when you're elderly, health issues become part and parcel of getting old.
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by eyinjuege: 8:47am On Feb 27, 2020
Elxandre:

And young people don't have young children and elderly as relatives

Dont be anal
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Prechy08(m): 8:47am On Feb 27, 2020
they better quarantine that guy for one month I don't trust that test and government might be saying this to curb panick
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by eyinjuege: 8:49am On Feb 27, 2020
Reference:

The vulnerable demographic are the elderly, children those with compromised immune systems and those with pre existing respiratory challenges, e.g asthmatic folks.

A worrying problem about this virus is that even those who recover are discovered to have residual lung damage, scarring.

Yes, perhaps there may even be other long term complications not known yet. Time helps with that, as with all things.
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by naptu2: 8:54am On Feb 27, 2020
The Infectious Diseases Hospital (previously known as the Mainland Hospital, Yaba) is the main facility for combating serious infectious diseases like ebola, lassa fever and the corona virus. The Ebola Containment Centre that was built during the Ebola Crisis of 2014, was located at the Infectious Diseases Hospital. Since then, the Lagos State Government, the US Government, the British Government, the Canadian Government and several international NGOs have collaborated to further upgrade the facilities at the hospital.

Lagos builds biobank to tackle Lassa fever, Corona virus, others

By Risikat Ramoni, Lagos | Published Date Jan 27, 2020 9:11 AM

The newly built Lagos State Level 3 Biosafety Laboratory also known as the Lagos Biobank has commenced operation.

The facility located in the Lagos Infectious Disease Hospital has the capacity to process, rapidly identify and store samples of infectious diseases such as Ebola, Lassa Fever, novel Coronavirus amongst others.

During a visit to the facility at the weekend, the State Commissioner for Health, Prof. Akin Abayomi said the new facility located within the premises of the Mainland Hospital, Yaba and the Lagos Infectious Disease Hospital, was built by the state government with support from the Canadian government to ensure effective management of infectious diseases.

“With this facility, which is the highest and most functional biosafety, biobanking laboratory in Nigeria and West Africa, Lagos is prepared to tackle and contain any possible outbreak of emerging infectious diseases, novel and highly infectious pathogens,” he stated.

The Commissioner who also inspected other facilities at Mainland Hospital including infectious disease wards, isolation wards, quarantine units and proposed sites for expansion of isolation wards and mini emergency operation centre expressed satisfaction at the level of preparedness of the infectious disease hospital and the bio-security unit for possible disease outbreak.

Abayomi while giving an update on the level of preparedness of Lagos State against the raging novel Corona Virus in South East Asia and Lassa fever outbreak in some states in Nigeria disclosed that the Ministry of Health is working closely with other agencies of the Federal Government including National Centre for Disease Control and Ports Health to strengthen surveillance in the State.

The Commissioner urged citizens to adopt and practice high standard of personal and environmental hygiene including regular hand washing, covering of mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing, avoiding close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing as well as practising good biosecurity precautions with domestic and wild animals as measures against the transmission of any kind of contagious infection and pathogens.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/lagos-builds-biobank-to-tackle-lassa-fever-corona-virus-others.html

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Reference(m): 8:55am On Feb 27, 2020
naptu2:

Who is the "it" that said that the results will be out by Friday? The competent authority on that matter has stated what the results are, but you said that, "It is said that the results will be out by Friday", so who is the "it" that said that the results will be out by Friday??

That is what I heard on the news this morning. I am not in Lagos and certainly not in Reddington and you are certainly not in Wuhan so news is what we all use in tracking what is going on. That is why I also asked for who has the facts. Facts is what made the ebola crises whatever it became.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by naptu2: 9:01am On Feb 27, 2020
Reference:

That is what I heard on the news this morning. I am not in Lagos and certainly not in Reddington and you are certainly not in Wuhan so news is what we all use in tracking what is going on.

If you provide information, then you must state the source or authority that gave the information in order for it to be credible. All hospitals in Lagos are required to inform the Lagos State Government about suspicious cases. Reddington informed the Lagos State Government and the patient was moved to the Infectious Diseases Hospital, which is owned by the Lagos State Government. The commissioner of health, who is the competent authority to provide such information, has stated the results of the tests that were conducted at the Infectious Diseases Hospital and then you come here to say, "It is said",

Who is the "it" that said?? What is his name??

Even on the news, they will provide the name of the person or authority that made that statement. Every good journalist knows this. Otherwise it's just beer parlour rumours! Professor Akin Abayomi has stated the result of the test, so who is the "it" that said that the result will be ready on Friday??

5 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by omoharry(f): 9:22am On Feb 27, 2020
Young03:
It can't survive in Africa
Oga open your eyes..it is now in Algeria.That is northern Africa.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by HonAdeli(m): 9:23am On Feb 27, 2020
All thanks to God, I was there yesterday at Isaac John in Ikeja around 1 in the Afternoon, I noticed something unusual at the hospital, everybody was given a nose mask. It was when i got home around 5 that I was told a Chinese patient was there in the morning to complain about corona virus.

I was so afraid, there was this fear in me but all thanks to God for this good news...

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by HonAdeli(m): 9:23am On Feb 27, 2020
All thanks to God, I was there yesterday at Isaac John in Ikeja around 1 in the Afternoon, I noticed something unusual at the hospital, everybody was given a nose mask. It was when i got home around 5 that I was told a Chinese patient was there in the morning to complain about corona virus.

I was so afraid, there was this fear in me but all thanks to God for this good news..
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by omoharry(f): 9:30am On Feb 27, 2020
fatymore:
I don't know why we don't have the gut to restrict their coming into Nigeria for some time now.

We don't really care in this country.

Nigeria cannot do that because so many of our projects are financed by China on low credit...America too in indebted to china same with other countries across Africa..China is everywhere. Even WHO is downplaying the whole thing and cautious on declaring it an epidemic because of politics..china is playing a big role underground in the world politics.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by ForbesHomesNG(m): 10:38am On Feb 27, 2020
YoungPerson:
This virus could constantly be mutating and they'd not tell us about it.
Quite unfortunate.
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by fatymore(f): 10:58am On Feb 27, 2020
omoharry:
Nigeria cannot do that because so many of our projects are financed by China on low credit...America too in indebted to china same with other countries across Africa..China is everywhere. Even WHO is downplaying the whole thing and cautious on declaring it an epidemic because of politics..china is playing a big role underground in the world politics.

Lobatan
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by buhariguy(m): 1:21pm On Feb 27, 2020
deekseen:
Good!

We don't want to start battling with another epidemy. This government is one already and we are barely surviving.

Recently, a handbook on surviving kidnapping was made available to only the elites. If this government was in power during the ebola epidemy, God knows what would have happened.

Everyday life is being squeezed out of the common Nigerian.
thhere is no way ebola would have enter nigeria if it was buhari govt,
as you can see, if it is pdp govt, this coronavirus would have spreed to nigeria by now
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by deekseen(m): 2:17pm On Feb 27, 2020
buhariguy:
thhere is no way ebola would have enter nigeria if it was buhari govt,
as you can see, if it is pdp govt, this coronavirus would have spreed to nigeria by now
LOL... I like your sense of humour. cry
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by abimic(m): 6:01pm On Feb 27, 2020
I have a feeling if this virus is to break first in Nigeria, it would start from Lagos.
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by Nobody: 6:33pm On Feb 27, 2020
Ghostrye:

Even China itself is very hot and that is where the main cases come from. Heat cannot do anything to covid-19
China is not hot they have winter than Europe
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by stormborn28(m): 8:50pm On Feb 27, 2020
tsephanyah:
Wow! Covid19 in Lagos will be like nuclear bomb detonated. But Alas the Atlantic ocean water is the vaccine against Covid19
just look at your last statement..

Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by GemUnique(m): 9:51pm On Feb 27, 2020
Ain't praying for the virus
But I don't see it surviving in Nigeria considering its mode of transmission (respiratory droplets)
The Humidity is a bit lower, I think
Re: Coronavirus: Reddington Hospital Patient Tests Negative by naptu2: 1:54am On Feb 28, 2020
An Italian citizen has tested positive for the virus in Lagos. The test was conducted by the Lagos State Government at the Infectious Diseases Hospital and reported to the Federal Ministry of Health.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please Help My Mum Is Dying / Real Life Lessons I Learnt From An Injury I Had 6 Years Ago, But Treating Today. / Baby Who Had Been "Cured" Of HIV Now Has The Virus Resurfacing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.