Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,025 members, 7,828,599 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:55 AM

How To Win The $5,000 Tony Elumelu Grant In 2020 - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How To Win The $5,000 Tony Elumelu Grant In 2020 (2343 Views)

Foreign Loan: Why Can't CBN Print The $5.5bn Instead Of Borrowing? / Tony Elumelu And His Twin Boys, Tony And Toby Pictured Together / Tony Elumelu Was In Vegas To Watch Mayweather Vs Mcgregor Fight (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Win The $5,000 Tony Elumelu Grant In 2020 by gbengusogun(m): 9:33am On Feb 27, 2020
Have you seen the new TEF application for selecting fellows? It looks like GMATHS.
The free guide I released late last year won’t help you much. The new application system has both Psychometric & personality tests in addition to business and financial knowledge assessment.
To make this new guide easily accessible, I have chosen to blog it.
This 100% free guide has information on psychometric, personality & financial knowledge assessment.

Why am I qualified to write this?
1. I have a Bsc in Psychology
2. I am a 2017 Tony Elumelu fellow
3. I guided 20 people to become fellows in 2019
You can simply Google ‘Olugbenga Ogunbowale’ or visit here to learn more about me.

Unlike previous cohorts, this year’s format has totally changed.
Now, let’s begin:

Timeline:
• Applications (Jan 1 – Mar 1)
• Onboarding (Mar)
• Training & Mentoring (April – May)
• Pitching (June)
• Selection Announcement & Forum (July)
• Submit ID, Business Reg & Bank Details (Aug – Sep)
• World Check & Seed Capital Disbursement (Aug – Dec)

Assessment:
The assessment gives the Foundation an indication of your personality type. It gives them a better indication of how best they can make an impact in your start-up journey. The assessment will take approximately 1hour to complete. You can stop and save your personal details information online and continue later but you cannot save and continue your assessment later.

There are 2 sets of assessments i.e.
1. Psychometric / Personality tests
2. Business and Financial knowledge assessment
After taking the assessment, the system scores you and highlights your segment/path for training. All entrepreneurs that apply will go through a set of training. Training is delivered based on entrepreneur segment. During this training, you will take tests/quizzes at the end of each module. Your assigned training path will determine whether you will have a chance to get seed capital or not.

Assigned training path
Based on your answers to the assessment questions, the system profiles you and places you in the appropriate training path as follows:

Greenhorn –
This means you are a starter according to the business start-up profiling. You will go through the general training on TEFConnect. You will, however, not be eligible for mentorship or seed capital.

Innovator –
This means that you have been profiled to be an intermediate entrepreneur. You have a good potential to be a successful entrepreneur. You will go through the Intermediate training modules and you will be assigned a mentor during the programme. Based on your performance through the training programme, you will stand a chance to pitch your business in person to the set of judges for final selection to receive seed capital.

Disruptor –
This means that you are or identified to be natural or a seasoned entrepreneur. You will go through the Advanced training modules and you will be assigned a mentor during the programme. Based on your performance through the training programme, you will stand a chance to pitch your business in person to the set of judges for final selection to receive seed capital.

Pls Note
• Innovators and Disruptors stand a chance to receive the same value of seed capital.
• Assessment can only be taken once. Do not take it if you are not ready.
• If you are unable to complete the assessment before the time is up, assessment will be made based on the answered questions.

Configured scoring module (100) will be as below:
• Test Questions (weight: 40)
• Interaction on TEFConnect (weight: 50)
This includes attendance to webinars, response to surveys, activity on TEFConnect
• Mentor Engagement (weight: 10)
Top performing entrepreneurs will be shortlisted to physically pitch their ideas to a panel of judges
Entrepreneurs may be allowed to send in video pitches in approved geo-locations.

Pitching
• Pitching will happen in all 54 African countries (may be refined based on management’s decision)
• Pitching can be done in English, French, Portuguese or Arabic

Selection
• Selection will be based on aggregated scores from Application, Training & Pitching phases.
• Top performers will be selected for the seed capital.

Getting to Know you: Business Details
This section captures your business idea and experience. Most of the questions here are yes/no.
The most important questions here is: Tell us about your start-up idea (minimum 50 words. Maximum 500 words).
I suggest you combine your elevator pitch with differentiation. Here is what this looks like:

ELEVATOR PITCH
Here, you are expected to talk about the problem, talk about the solution and make a proposition.
Let me use Epower.ng as an example:
For businesses who wish to gain visibility & attract more customers online, epower.ng is a digital agency that connects SME’s to customers through websites, & apps.
Unlike traditional advertising that is hard to target & difficult to measure,
Epower.ng harnesses the power of design & digital storytelling to help businesses make the shift from overlooked to overbooked.

Analysis: First, talk about your target audience. Are you targeting pregnant women or teenagers? Next, talk about what you do. Then throw shade at your competitor and mention why they are ineffective. Then, talk about how you do what you do. And finally, always end with a slogan or something catchy. You want to leave a massive impression in the mind of the reviewer. Your pitch should be so clear that the reviewer can pitch on your behalf.

DIFFERENTIATION
Do you know the difference between a brand and a commodity? Commodities are easy to substitute and hard to differentiate but brands are hard to substitute and easy to differentiate.
Think about Indomie or IPhone. Can you easily replace them? But can you easily differentiate them?
Now compare the above with other products like tissue paper, razor blade, pencil. When was the last time you checked the maker of your Poly bag?
You can’t just do fish farming, there are too many fish farmers. You must add a twist. Imagine if you were connecting fish farmers directly to sellers.
If I was pitching an employability training business, I could say
1) Our students get access to internship opportunities from inside and outside our client base
2) 90% of our students secure jobs afterwards.
3) Our training is very affordable ($15 - $50) unlike other actors who charge a minimum of $170

By the time you are done with both, you should have clocked 250 words.
Section 2: Personality Assessment
Here, you have questions like:
“I can easily guess what others are thinking”
“I prefer working on realistic ideas”
“I prefer being with people who hold similar values”

Here are 4 tips to help you pass the personality test

1) Be yourself
A personality test is a two-way assessment. The purpose of this particular test is to assess whether your personality is suitable for entrepreneurship. If you don’t have entrepreneurial DNA, you probably should not be applying in the first place.

2) Avoid extreme answers
Selecting highly agree or highly disagree in every response may bracket you as inflexible and robotic.

3) Answer questions with an ethical and professional mind set
Try to avoid selecting answers which could portray you as an unethical or unprofessional person. There are incorrect answers in personality tests and choosing an answer that is unethical or unprofessional is likely to be incorrect.

4) Mind the time
Keep one eye on your stopwatch as you take the test. The only thing worse than not taking the test is ending half way.

To further help you pass the test, here are 5 personality traits identified to be compatible with a prosperous entrepreneurial career:
1) Achievement Striving
This is an individual’s intrinsic motivation and efficiency of work completion. Entrepreneurs will usually be responsible for their own work hours and set their own deadlines meaning it would be easy to underachieve if they lack initiative, as there is no one to answer to when tasks are not completed.

2) Industriousness
This is considered to be an indicator of levels of persistence and hardiness, the ability to overcome difficulties and to remain functional in stressful situations. It can also convey willingness to work hard and to offer additional efforts when required. Due to number of challenges and disappointments associated with building a successful business from the ground, it is important that the individual is able to persevere with various efforts or attempts in order to achieve success.

3) Passion
This refers to one’s enthusiasm, personal commitment to achieving goals and extent to which they will go in order to get ahead. More often than not, those who possess an emotional affinity with their career of choice are more likely to succeed.

4) Taking Control
This is linked to how far the individual believes themselves to have control over a situation and its outcomes, thus affecting their perception of positive and negative events. This idea originated from the psychological theory known as “Locus of control” which describes the way in which someone might credit certain events to themselves or to other external factors. For example, those who believe to have high levels of control are likely to attribute successes to their own abilities as opposed to luck.

5) Creativity
This is indicative of how effectively one might generate new ideas, which is vital to an entrepreneur wishing to establish themselves within a niche market. The ability to continually revolutionise and build upon pre-existing concepts may help to produce a vast number of successful business models.

Section 3: Cognitive Assessment
This section contains some basic business questions. It aims to test your financial knowledge.
There are straight forward questions, calculation based questions, pattern recognition questions & scenario based questions.
Asides from the straight forward questions, the best way to prepare for the other type of questions is to take free online GMATH tests.
In addition, you will need the formula for profit & loss, profit markup.
MSRP means Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price.

Epilogue
I wish you all the very best in your application. Pls reach out to me if you have questions not covered in this guide. And pls reach out to me when you eventually win the grant. I would love to share your story.
Email me (yesboss2080@gmail.com) or WhatsApp me (+2348037285780)
And whether you win $5k or not, the free training you get from TEF can help accelerate your business. God bless The Tony Elumelu Foundation for empowering African Entrepreneurs.
It’s your turn. Go succeed!

2 Likes

Re: How To Win The $5,000 Tony Elumelu Grant In 2020 by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 27, 2020
I ended up in the, greenhorn Jarre, never knew the system has changed.
For someone to pass those tests, he needs a professional tutor.
I just want to update my profile and start selling on the platform, I cannot comman go and kill myself
Re: How To Win The $5,000 Tony Elumelu Grant In 2020 by Nobody: 10:45am On Feb 27, 2020
southniyikaye:
I just want to update my profile and start selling on the platform, I cannot comman go and kill myself

how do you sell on the platform
Re: How To Win The $5,000 Tony Elumelu Grant In 2020 by gbengusogun(m): 11:45am On Feb 27, 2020
southniyikaye:

Awww...do not be discouraged.
if you have a business partner, encourage the person to apply.
Encourage your family & friends to apply to.
And like you have rightly said, it pays to seek tutoring from past winners or those who have passed.
Re: How To Win The $5,000 Tony Elumelu Grant In 2020 by gbengusogun(m): 11:45am On Feb 27, 2020
BetBuilder365:

TEF connect is a very exciting platform.
There is a market place.
Register and explore.
Re: How To Win The $5,000 Tony Elumelu Grant In 2020 by Nobody: 12:11pm On Feb 27, 2020
gbengusogun:

TEF connect is a very exciting platform.
There is a market place.
Register and explore.

Can I sell online education programs like the way udemy does
Re: How To Win The $5,000 Tony Elumelu Grant In 2020 by Nobody: 12:12pm On Feb 27, 2020
gbengusogun:

And like you have rightly said, it pays to seek tutoring from past winners or those who have passed.
I think where I missed it was being a sole proprietor of the company and truly I don't have a business partner. And while I was answering questions seems the scheme takes special interest in partnership businesses
Re: How To Win The $5,000 Tony Elumelu Grant In 2020 by Nobody: 12:13pm On Feb 27, 2020
BetBuilder365:

the option is there, just complete your profile
Re: How To Win The $5,000 Tony Elumelu Grant In 2020 by gbengusogun(m): 8:45pm On Feb 27, 2020
southniyikaye:
I think where I missed it was being a sole proprietor of the company and truly I don't have a business partner. And while I was answering questions seems the scheme takes special interest in partnership businesses

Not at all.
Your score is about your assessment test performance.
Re: How To Win The $5,000 Tony Elumelu Grant In 2020 by gbengusogun(m): 8:48pm On Feb 27, 2020
BetBuilder365:

Can I sell online education programs like the way udemy does

You can try
Re: How To Win The $5,000 Tony Elumelu Grant In 2020 by NewLogicalMind: 12:41am On Mar 01, 2020
southniyikaye:

Partnership business have better chances of survival
Re: How To Win The $5,000 Tony Elumelu Grant In 2020 by Ade4all080(m): 5:28pm On Mar 16, 2020
gbengusogun:

Not at all.
Your score is about your assessment test performance.
Yes your scores is all that matters and not by sole proprietorship or partnership.

Please when will they begin to send mail for the next stage ooooo?
Re: How To Win The $5,000 Tony Elumelu Grant In 2020 by bineedrees(m): 1:59am On Feb 18, 2021
good day sirs,i am bit cinfused concerning the personality test,as the answer option is too tricky..Pls in a situation where u are absolutely sure of answer is it okay to just put"agree instead of strongly agreed?or disagreed instead of strongly disagreed?

And like you have rightly said, it pays to seek tutoring from past winners or those who have passed.[/quote]

(1) (Reply)

Influx Of Suspect Finance / Investment Houses / Zenith Bank Bumper Offer Opens Today / Gtbank Now Collects #100 To Buy Airtime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.