Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,506 members, 7,770,268 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:21 AM

New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! (4705 Views)

Intensive Mass Production Of Catfish/Tilapia Seed / Catfish Farming, 2019 / Free Catfish Farming (Training) Mobilisation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by Adeymorla(m): 2:00pm On Feb 28, 2020
Ive been experimenting for some time, methods of cathfish farming that requires very little water change. I have learnt a few things over the years that i will like to share to as many that are interested in learning. At the same time, im also open to learning as no one is an island. i have been in catfish farming since 1999 where i learnt it from my dad back in the day. Being a researcher, i have invested time and resources in order learn the mordern ways of this business. The aim of this thread is to develop ways where water changes can be reduced to the bearest minimum, increase the feed conversion rate of fish, develop aquaponics system (where crops can be grown alongside using the fish wastes as manure, lowering feed costs and increasing the profit margin.

Join me on this Journey

1 Like

Re: New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by Adeymorla(m): 2:13pm On Feb 28, 2020
One misconception people make is that they think catfish is just like any other fisf. WRONG! Catfish is a warm water tropical fish, also known as mud fish (cause they like to live in the mud or swamps) and is an ominivore. Ominivore means it can eat basically anything, including itself when terribly hungry. As an ominivore, you can feed your fish anything and it will eat. However due to their skin, they dont like anything that contains salt, but they prefer high protein plant and animal based. Because they cant regulate their body temperature like humans, they dont like sudden changes in water temperature. It will make them stressed. As much as possible i advise to keep your water changes minimal. if you must do a water change, never do a 100% change. 50% water change is okay. Also its best to do a water change in the afternoon when the sun is up to raise the water temperature a bit.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by kilode100(f): 2:53pm On Feb 28, 2020
Following
Re: New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by Georgekyrian(m): 3:33pm On Feb 28, 2020
Following
Re: New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by saaron(m): 5:19pm On Feb 28, 2020
Ok. Where can I get big size catfish for farming?
Re: New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by Adeymorla(m): 9:11am On Mar 02, 2020
saaron:
Ok. Where can I get big size catfish for farming?

I dont know.
Re: New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by Adeymorla(m): 9:12am On Mar 02, 2020
When it comes to fish farming, the most important thing to a farmer is “How do I maximize profit”. In other words, how do I feed with little quantity and get high yields without spending so much on water changes. The main expenses is always water changes (it costs a lot to buy fuel), and feed. A little biology will help here.

Fish are aquatic animals. All Animals eat some form of food and pass out waste products. Waste products in solid and gaseous form. Take Humans, We breathe in Oxygen and eat solid food, pass out Carbon dioxide and solid wastes. Same with fish too, They take in Oxygen (from the water through the gills) and solid food and pass out carbon dioxide, ammonia and solid wastes. In order to keep them healthy and happy, we must find a way of removing the wastes(both gaseous and solid) from the water. This is generally done by doing a water change ie draining the heavy polluted water and introducing a fresh one. But from my last post we see that this is very dangerous and fish cannot regulate body temperature like humans. This makes them stressed and can cause high mortalities. Also this method is very expensive as changing water daily costs a lot.

Another way of overcoming this challenge is to find a way to tackle the problem.

One, removal of solid wastes can be done by having a filter medium separating the solid wastes from the water. Its is commonly done using pond filters and comes in various sizes. The theory is that a pump will be placed in the pond that will carry the polluted water through a filter medium. The filter separates the solid matter from the water. The clean water renters the pond.

Two, removal of gaseous wastes can be done by having an aerator inside the pond. What this does is to displace the carbon dioxide and ammonia from the water by replacing them with oxygen. How this works is by placing the aerator in the deepest part of the pond. This also helps the pond from getting stratified. This means that it ensures even temperature and keeps the water moving within the pond.

Once this two processes are implemented, the pond is self sustaining. You do not need to change the pond water, but I should state that you will need to periodically wash the filter as a blocked filter will damage the pump.
Tomorrow, I will be talking about how I made these changes to my pond setup and include some pictures.
You can follow me on twitter @adegbade1. I post pictures and videos on my twitter handle.
Re: New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by Adeymorla(m): 9:23am On Mar 03, 2020
First thing I had to do was to get an aerator. It was a 20W aerator that I got off amazon.
[img][/img]

There are various types on aliexpress too, but the key is to get one with very low power consumption. The aerator is basically an air pump much like the ones the vulcanizers use. You will also have to get a diffuser.
[img][/img]

A diffuser is something that breaks the air from the pump into tiny bubbles. This tiny bubbles makes the air diffuse into the water and can push out the harmful gases contained in the pond. You will also need to get the air hose. The hose is the connected to the air pump and the diffuser. The diffuser is then placed in the deepest end of the pond. As I said in the previous post the introduction of the diffuser pushes out harmful gases from the pond and keeps it from getting stratified. The Air pump needs power to work so I suggest you get a small inverter system for the whole setup. Something you can charge when there is light and if you have the means, get a small solar panel to charge the battery and use the sunlight to power the air pump.

I started with a 80W solar panel, 500W inverter and 100Ah battery. This will ensure that your aerator is always connected and working optimally.

Here is a picture of my pond setup
[img][/img]

Re: New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by saaron(m): 9:59am On Mar 03, 2020
Interesting.
Re: New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by wengerman: 4:24pm On Mar 06, 2020
keep up the good work.please drop your number for personal contact
Re: New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by BillyPro: 7:31pm On Mar 18, 2020
CATFISH SALES ALERT
Healthy and Fast-Growing Clarias, Post-fingerlings and Juveniles ready for sale.
Call/Whatapp: 08160616886
Waybill Services available upon request.
Re: New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by Ttalk: 10:22pm On Mar 18, 2020
Introducing Shutters Seed (Juvenile ) to Nigeria.

Healthy and fast growing juvenile.

Phone: zero eight zero three eight eight seven six nine
Re: New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by revbcorah: 11:01am On Apr 03, 2020
This is a very interesting discourse. Need to continue. And you know, some of us are not technically proficient, so it'll be more profitable if we know how to get the finished outfit. We're ready to pay for your skill/services
Re: New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by nairamaniac: 11:32am On Jan 03, 2021
happy newyear.
This thread seems nice.

op, is this thread still active?
few things to discuss with u.
Thanx!
Re: New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by jamace(m): 1:12pm On Jan 03, 2021
Adeymorla:
First thing I had to do was to get an aerator. It was a 20W aerator that I got off amazon.
[img][/img]

There are various types on aliexpress too, but the key is to get one with very low power consumption. The aerator is basically an air pump much like the ones the vulcanizers use. You will also have to get a diffuser.
[img][/img]

A diffuser is something that breaks the air from the pump into tiny bubbles. This tiny bubbles makes the air diffuse into the water and can push out the harmful gases contained in the pond. You will also need to get the air hose. The hose is the connected to the air pump and the diffuser. The diffuser is then placed in the deepest end of the pond. As I said in the previous post the introduction of the diffuser pushes out harmful gases from the pond and keeps it from getting stratified. The Air pump needs power to work so I suggest you get a small inverter system for the whole setup. Something you can charge when there is light and if you have the means, get a small solar panel to charge the battery and use the sunlight to power the air pump.

I started with a 80W solar panel, 500W inverter and 100Ah battery. This will ensure that your aerator is always connected and working optimally.

Here is a picture of my pond setup
[img][/img]
OP, nice thread. Happy new year 2021..

Kindly continue with your lecture. Thanks.
Re: New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by IRIENBOY(m): 5:38pm On Jan 03, 2021
Nice
Re: New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by Adeymorla(m): 8:38pm On Oct 21, 2021
You can join my telegram channel. I post regularly there.

Search for "everythingcatfish" on Telegram

Modern Catfish Farming Techniques. New Technologies in Catfish Farming.
https:///everythingcatfish

I will try to answer all your questions to the best of my ability.
Re: New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by Adeymorla(m): 8:50pm On Oct 21, 2021
nairamaniac:
happy newyear.

This thread seems nice.

op, is this thread still active?

few things to discuss with u.

Thanx!

It's still active. Follow Everythingcatfish on Telegram.
Re: New Method Of Catfish Farming; No Water Change! by nairamaniac: 9:31pm On Oct 21, 2021
Adeymorla:

It's still active. Follow Everythingcatfish on Telegram.
how do I get into the thread you mentioned on telegram?

Is there a link to it?

(1) (Reply)

Palm Oil Machine Production And Palm Oil Mill For Sale In Malaysia,indonisia / Beans Price Has Crash In Niger State / My 3 Weeks Old Ducklings Arrived Safely

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.