Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,770 members, 7,809,965 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:59 PM

The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) (49482 Views)

Nigerian Nurse & His Fiancée Die In Motor Accident 6 Weeks After Engagement / Narrative Of A Journey From Sokoto To Akwa Ibom / Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Hunnybee: 6:48pm On Apr 19, 2020
Hi. If you’ve the money you can apply together but when filling your visa application form pick different date of arrival ( up to 3 months from application date) from the main applicant. That’s what we did anyway and it worked

Iruosonobrugwhe:
Thanks for being open to all questions. From your experience ,what would you advise a family that can afford the 5m?
Apply together with the principal but wait till after the OSCE? or wait for the principal to go and then start the visa processing?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by themaestro08(m): 8:28pm On Apr 19, 2020
Soknown:
Finally i got an offer from Woodland lettings to check an apartment on Ridgeway road. So i chose a date which was confirmed with the landlord. I used google map to navigate to the terrace building. The landlord has two flats in this building but i chose the one that was uppermost on the second floor. The flat goes for £1100 with a deposit of £1200. I followed the agent to Station road where the office is, i paid the withholding fee immediately and got the required forms. I got all the forms filled, reference sorted within one week. we signed the tenancy. The building is built on a ridge, one of the highest point in the town.
Same day i sent a mail to the company managing my present tenancy that i will like to terminate the tenancy by the end of May, it was accepted and and the coast was clear for my wife and children to come over but they would need Visa of course.
In the month of May, i started buying household materials....

Lovely! Lovely!... At first I thought it was the usual boring and uninteresting threads I always read here not knowing I was totally wrong and was very much missing out.

Respect man. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Tinyemeka(m): 6:51pm On Apr 20, 2020
Soknown:
Finally i got an offer from Woodland lettings to check an apartment on Ridgeway road. So i chose a date which was confirmed with the landlord. I used google map to navigate to the terrace building. The landlord has two flats in this building but i chose the one that was uppermost on the second floor. The flat goes for £1100 with a deposit of £1200. I followed the agent to Station road where the office is, i paid the withholding fee immediately and got the required forms. I got all the forms filled, reference sorted within one week. we signed the tenancy. The building is built on a ridge, one of the highest point in the town.
Same day i sent a mail to the company managing my present tenancy that i will like to terminate the tenancy by the end of May, it was accepted and and the coast was clear for my wife and children to come over but they would need Visa of course.
In the month of May, i started buying household materials....

Love how you've been sharing your experiences with us. I've found them to be both refreshing and highly educating. Thanks a lot.

I've had this fear of accommodation being the biggest problem of living in countries like the UK, US and Canada. During your house search, did you take into account the closeness of the house to your place of work, especially as you now do more than one job? Is transport that cheap such that somebody could live in one town while the workplace is in another town?

Another question please. I hear that there are some courses which could be done, especially by people coming from a non-medical background but who wish to practise UK nursing. Courses that last for about 8 - 12 months to qualify the person for say LPN positions. Do you know of any school or program you would recommend?

Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by adrenaline02: 8:58pm On Apr 20, 2020
Soknown:
'The end of a race marks the beginning of the next one', so says a wise man. So that capped my 16 years of being a nurse in Nigeria. I gave the country and the profession my all, served in various capacities. Worked in unimaginable conditions, Jungles, Swamps, raging Sea, Spent more time in the air and sea than on the land. and survived a chopper crash. This is testament to the unassuming and unyielding resolve and resillience of a typical Nigerian. While i did not attempt to glorify leaving the shores of Nigeria as a Success in itself, i see it as another opportunity to perform on a much more rewarding platform and in a society that rewards excellence, diligence and all the good virtues which we are naturally embued with as Nigerians.
I hope in my little way, been able to inspire someone or at least provide information which could be useful, now or later.
Now i want to implore that the mods help in moving this to front page, while i am open for questions, supportive comments and concerns. As i prepare to write on the next phase.
well explained

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by OJURONGBE1(m): 9:26am On Apr 21, 2020
Focusmind:
Good write up. I remember my stay in UK between 2009 to 2010 when I went to do my masters courtesy of PTDF scholarship.

I started in September 2009 and by 2010, I had submitted my thesis.

I got a job in St. Andrews Community hospital, Scotland as an office assistant.

The matron asked me to be assisting the nurses in some of the duties with an increased pay.

Mind you, I wasn't trained as a nurse. My masters was on finance.

But I enjoyed my work so much and my scottish colleagues liked me without any bias. No racism at all, and they were very free with me as I worked so hard to win their trust and respect.

The lady nurses were so fond of me that they were always seeking for my attention and companionship.

The Matron noticed it and smiled why we were having a private informal discussion and said jokingly that I was now a darling of the nurses. She said, " please make your choice quickly among the nurses so that others will know where they stand".

I was just laughing and she said she meant her statement.

There is no such segregation in the health care sector over there in the North.

Focusmind, you're one of the monikers i respect a lot on this forum. You're a thorough bred, vast and educated person. However, I must ask why you changed career from Engineering to finance?

3 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Focusmind: 10:51am On Apr 21, 2020
OJURONGBE1:

Sir , you're one of those monikers i respect a lot on this forum. You're a thoroughly bred ,educated and well rounded person. However, I must ask why you changed career from Engineering to finance ?

We all had our dreams when we were doing our courses in the University. I wanted to be a mechanical engineer in a top most organization or work in an oil and gas company or further my studies abroad with specialization in thermodynamics and fluids engineering.

All these were dreams and the expectation was to get that mouth - watering offer in oil and gas sector. Sadly, after the NYSC, reality started setting in and I am not the type that lives in self denial. I always weigh my options and focus on the one most suitable towards the realization of my goals.

I did all the aptitude tests for almost all the oil companies - Transocean, Slumberger, Halliburton, Total E & P, Chevron, Global Energy Company, Eni SPA (AGIP), Statoil Hydro, SNEPCO, NNPC, DPR etc.

I passed the aptitude tests of all these organizations but couldn't make a head way after the interviews despite my brilliant performances. I wasn't looking at the banking or financial sector at all as it was not my thing even though I was seeing call for application from almost all the 89 banks then as they were recruiting graduates at a record level then.

I finally applied to one of the new generation banks and was called for aptitude test which I passed and was called for an interview. one early morning, I was walking down my street and got a congratulatory message from the bank that I should come for medicals. After the medicals, I was asked to resume at the training school with all other trainees.

I resumed and after the 6 weeks training, I was posted to the financial control department in the head office with four other trainees. The head of the department welcomed us and after reviewing our qualifications, he told me that I had to buckle up to catch up as I didn't major in accounting and finance.

The head of department told me that he also graduated in civil engineering with a first class and today he is the group head of the financial control and that I must enroll in ICAN professional exams.

After going through ICAN syllabus and studying it for like two weeks, I mustered up courage and registered for the foundation which I passed. I continued till I qualified.

When I sat for the PTDF exams, my intention was to see if I could go back to my engineering field. PTDF questions those days had each of the courses under sponsorship.

Geology, Petroleum Engineering, oil and gas accounting, petroleum economics, petroleum finance, civil engineering etc had their own respective questions. When I opened the questions booklet, I couldn't remember much in mechanical engineering that I wanted to write the exam on .

I opened the questions in accounting and finance and finished the whole questions before time. When the result came out, I was part of the 10 people shortlisted in my state. That's how I went to UK to study petroleum finance under PTDF scholarship and came back to Nigeria to continue with my finance work with a company in oil and gas.

Since then, I have been into accounting and finance and don't intend leaving it now. I have already set up my own consultancy in that field, Though the challenges are still there as getting clients are difficult but I am happy with my achievement.

I told myself that I would be on my own once I clock 40 years and that's exactly what I did when I left the company I was working for to set up my own consultancy. The good thing is that the company signed a retainer ship contract with me as I am being paid based on job delivered.

This has given me opportunities to also work for other people in areas of taxation, management consulting, international development and audit.

That is it - I took time to do this for others to also learn. You must not insist on practicing what you studied in school. look for where opportunities could come from and develop your capabilities in those areas.

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 12:29pm On Apr 21, 2020
Focusmind:

We all had our dreams when we were doing our courses in the University. I wanted to be a mechanical engineer in a top most organization or work in an oil and gas company or further my studies abroad with specialization in thermodynamics and fluids engineering.

All these were dreams and the expectation was to get that mouth - watering offer in oil and gas sector. Sadly, after the NYSC, reality started setting in and I am not the type that lives in self denial. I always weigh my options and focus on the one most suitable towards the realization of my goals.

I did all the aptitude tests for almost all the oil companies - Transocean, Slumberger, Halliburton, Total E & P, Chevron, Global Energy Company, Eni SPA (AGIP), Statoil Hydro, SNEPCO, NNPC, DPR etc.

I passed the aptitude tests of all these organizations but couldn't make a head way after the interviews despite my brilliant performances. I wasn't looking at the banking or financial sector at all as it was not my thing even though I was seeing call for application from almost all the 89 banks then as they were recruiting graduates at a record level then.

I finally applied to one of the new generation banks and was called for aptitude test which I passed and was called for an interview. one early morning, I was walking down my street and got a congratulatory message from the bank that I should come for medicals. After the medicals, I was asked to resume at the training school with all other trainees.

I resumed and after the 6 weeks training, I was posted to the financial control department in the head office with four other trainees. The head of the department welcomed us and after reviewing our qualifications, he told me that I had to buckle up to catch up as I didn't major in accounting and finance.

The head of department told me that he also graduated in civil engineering with a first class and today he is the group head of the financial control and that I must enroll in ICAN professional exams.

After going through ICAN syllabus and studying it for like two weeks, I mustered up courage and registered for the foundation which I passed. I continued till I qualified.

When I sat for the PTDF exams, my intention was to see if I could go back to my engineering field. PTDF questions those days had each of the courses under sponsorship.

Geology, Petroleum Engineering, oil and gas accounting, petroleum economics, petroleum finance, civil engineering etc had their own respective questions. When I opened the questions booklet, I couldn't remember much in mechanical engineering that I wanted to write the exam on .

I opened the questions in accounting and finance and finished the whole questions before time. When the result came out, I was part of the 10 people shortlisted in my state. That's how I went to UK to study petroleum finance under PTDF scholarship and came back to Nigeria to continue with my finance work with a company in oil and gas.

Since then, I have been into accounting and finance and don't intend leaving it now. I have already set up my own consultancy in that field, Though the challenges are still there as getting clients are difficult but I am happy with my achievement.

I told myself that I would be on my own once I clock 40 years and that's exactly what I did when I left the company I was working for to set up my own consultancy. The good thing is that the company signed a retainer ship contract with me as I am being paid based on job delivered.

This has given me opportunities to also work for other people in areas of taxation, management consulting, international development and audit.

That is it - I took time to do this for others to also learn. You must not insist on practicing what you studied in school. look for where opportunities could come from and develop your capabilities in those areas.
Well said, thank you for sharing this with us. I have picked up one or two items for myself.

2 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 12:38pm On Apr 21, 2020
Tinyemeka:

Love how you've been sharing your experiences with us. I've found them to be both refreshing and highly educating. Thanks a lot.

I've had this fear of accommodation being the biggest problem of living in countries like the UK, US and Canada. During your house search, did you take into account the closeness of the house to your place of work, especially as you now do more than one job? Is transport that cheap such that somebody could live in one town while the workplace is in another town?

Another question please. I hear that there are some courses which could be done, especially by people coming from a non-medical background but who wish to practise UK nursing. Courses that last for about 8 - 12 months to qualify the person for say LPN positions. Do you know of any school or program you would recommend?

Thanks.
Redhill is a small town so it does not matter where i live. From the town center to ESH is just 35 minutes leisure walk. It is possible to live and work in different places. There is effective transport system, though the cost is relative. A lot of people living in Redhill work in London, they go to work by train.
To the second question, i know people from non-medical backgrounds working as nurses after undergoing 24 months of mental health nursing at Master level.

2 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 12:38pm On Apr 21, 2020
themaestro08:

Lovely! Lovely!... At first I thought it was the usual boring and uninteresting threads I always read here not knowing I was totally wrong and was very much missing out.

Respect man. Keep up the good work.
Thank you so much.
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 12:40pm On Apr 21, 2020
Hunnybee:
Hi. If you’ve the money you can apply together but when filling your visa application form pick different date of arrival ( up to 3 months from application date) from the main applicant. That’s what we did anyway and it worked
Good one, never thought of that.
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by OJURONGBE1(m): 2:17pm On Apr 21, 2020
Soknown:

Good one, never thought of that.

Here comes my question :how do you write so well , is it an inbuilt ability or you got this from years of consistent reading and practising ?
I find it hard sometimes to convey my thoughts into words . There are times i write and I feel ashamed of myself because my words were badly put together.

Another question I would love your opinion on is: I have a 15 year old cousin who's torn between studying medicine and Nursing but as it is, her 220 UTME score won't get her invite for UI Post UTME, so i urged her to try science lab tech at Yabatech, get good grades in her forthcoming WAEC Exam and prepare well for next year.

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Yemisih(f): 4:23pm On Apr 21, 2020
She has to decide which she wants to do btw medicine and nursing but if she settles for nursing let her go to university straight.
OJURONGBE1:

Its been long I read something this smooth on Nairaland. Kudos sir .
Here comes my question :how do you write so well , is it an inbuilt ability or you got this from years of consistent reading and practising ?
I find it hard sometimes to convey my thoughts into words . There are times i write and I feel ashamed of myself because my words were badly put together.

Another question I would love your opinion on is: I have a 15 yr old cousin who's torn between studying medicine and Nursing ,but as it is, her 220 UTME score won't get her an invite for UI Post UTME, so i urged her to try science lab tech at Yabatech, get good grades in her forthcoming WAEC Exam and prepare well for next year.
You might ask me why i am asking this question on her behalf ,well ,she's someone I took interest in ever since she lost her Dad when she was 8 .
How a young girl would be so interested in her future amazes me .Each time I visit them, she always ask me to buy her books, share with me her term results laced with distinctions and how chemistry bores her but her lowest grade was 71.
I have been trying in my little way to expose her on her dream course , got few text books , have her watch Grey Anatomy etc to gear her up but there's a limit to what I can do at the moment because of the financial implications .
So, how good is a Nursing degree obtained from the university compared to school of Nursing?
My Aunt attended Ogun state school of health (Nursing major) and i kid you not, she's extremely good.
She once told me Nursing degrees are more of administrative nursing while school of health deals more with practicals.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by phockallmods: 6:11pm On Apr 21, 2020
OJURONGBE1:

Its been long I read something this smooth on Nairaland. Kudos sir .

Another question I would love your opinion on is: I have a 15 yr old cousin who's torn between studying medicine and Nursing ,but as it is, her 220 UTME score won't get her an invite for UI Post UTME, so i urged her to try science lab tech at Yabatech, get good grades in her forthcoming WAEC Exam and prepare well for next year.
You might ask me why i am asking this question on her behalf ,well ,she's someone I took interest in ever since she lost her Dad when she was 8 .
How a young girl would be so interested in her future amazes me .Each time I visit them, she always ask me to buy her books, share with me her term results laced with distinctions and how chemistry bores her but her lowest grade was 71.
I have been trying in my little way to expose her on her dream course , got few text books , have her watch Grey Anatomy etc to gear her up but there's a limit to what I can do at the moment because of the financial implications .
So, how good is a Nursing degree obtained from the university compared to school of Nursing?
My Aunt attended Ogun state school of health (Nursing major) and i kid you not, she's extremely good.
She once told me Nursing degrees are more of administrative nursing while school of health deals more with practicals.
I really don't know why old nurses keep glorifying schools of nursing. Tell her to go to uni. Which useless practical are we talking about? Don't let anyone deceive her into any SON. Both are good but uni is better. Medicine is studied in the university, a year for housmanship where "practical" is learnt. There's also internship for Nursing graduates and the so called "practical " will be learnt there.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 12:42am On Apr 22, 2020
OJURONGBE1:

Its been long
Thank you for your good words, Writing, good write-up is a product of many factors. Practice, knowledge, Confidence. etc Growing up, i had wanted to be a Journalist but Truth be told, i am not very good at writing, if i am, i would have published many books. This project i am writing is experiential so that makes it easy to write, even at that, I have to edit it countless times before i post. I believe you have a story to be told just like everyone else. So start with your story, write it anyhow it comes, then edit and make corrections. You can record your thought in words before you then transcribe it, your confidence will grow with time. When you read, try to get into the writer's mind. why did the writer put a instead of b or c? As i said earlier, I appreciate your good words.

Concerning your cousin, let her follow her passion and ability, but it is advisable to get a University degree as advised earlier by Phocallmods and Yemisih. Hopefully she will make very good grades next year. Let her choose in between the two courses based on her passion, you can nudge her as you have started but let her choose. I hope going for the course at Yaba tech would not distract her from reading and writing the next WAEC and JAMB. Good luck to her, i will be following up with you.

6 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by okeyben10: 7:33am On Apr 22, 2020
Thank you for ds wonderful piece

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 11:57am On Apr 22, 2020
okeyben10:
Thank you for ds wonderful piece
Thank you.
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 12:30pm On Apr 22, 2020
Something happened in May that reminded me of where i was coming from. That particular week, i was working four long days, on the fourth day, the manager told me that there is an MDT meeting by 1400hr, immediately after my break. That i will be presenting on a particular patient. I was shocked, presenting as how? she said i will be giving information on how the patient has been over the four days that i have worked with him. She could see through me that i was worried so she said she would be there to offer any support.
I have attended MDT meeting before, but not the one presenting, well today the table has turned since i was the most knowledgeable person per the patient having nursed him for four straight days, eight days cumulatively, ( counting the days in previous weeks). All through the morning, i was thinking what would i talk about? I decided to use the activities of daily living, having found a base i started filling the gaps in my head and when i got the time, i jotted few things on a paper.
1400hr, we were all seated, the doctors led by the consultant in charge of the patient's care, the physiotherapists, the Occupational therapist, the social work team, the community nurse, the pharmacist, my manager, the patient's relative who has the lasting power of attorney for health. Each department made presentations and questions were asked. when it was my time, i talked about the patient's ability to attend to personal hygiene and grooming, ability to eat and drink independently, ability to transfer from bed to chair and vice-versa, his continence, and bowel movement pattern, ability to recognize pain and ask for help. I talked about his preference for some drug form, that some drugs needed to be converted to liquid while some needed to be converted to injections that the community nurse could administer. i corroborated some facts made by the physiotherapist and stated some equipment the patient might need before discharge. In the end, the social work team and the community nurse came back to thank me for making their job and decision making simpler. I thought to myself, i have come a long way.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Mindlog: 1:34pm On Apr 22, 2020
Soknown:
Something happened in May that reminded me of where i was coming from. That particular week, i was working four long days, on the fourth day, the manager told me that there is an MDT meeting by 1400hr, immediately after my break. That i will be presenting on a particular patient. I was shocked, presenting as how? she said i will be giving information on how the patient has been over the four days that i have worked with him. She could see through me that i was worried so she said she would be there to offer any support.
I have attended MDT meeting before, but not the one presenting, well today the table has turned since i was the most knowledgeable person per the patient having nursed him for four straight days, eight days cumulatively, ( counting the days in previous weeks). All through the morning, i was thinking what would i talk about? I decided to use the activities of daily living, having found a base i started filling the gaps in my head and when i got the time, i jotted few things on a paper.
1400hr, we were all seated, the doctors led by the consultant in charge of the patient's care, the physiotherapists, the Occupational therapist, the social work team, the community nurse, the pharmacist, my manager, the patient's relative who has the lasting power of attorney for health. Each department made presentations and questions were asked. when it was my time, i talked about the patient's ability to attend to personal hygiene and grooming, ability to eat and drink independently, ability to transfer from bed to chair and vice-versa, his continence, and bowel movement pattern, ability to recognize pain and ask for help. I talked about his preference for some drug form, that some drugs needed to be converted to liquid while some needed to be converted to injections that the community nurse could administer. i corroborated some facts made by the physiotherapist and stated some equipment the patient might need before discharge. In the end, the social work team and the community nurse came back to thank me for making their job and decision making simpler. I thought to myself, i have come a long way.

You just reminded me of my first ever presentation at work! cheesy

The consultant psychiatrist, the psychiatric nurses with years of experience, the social worker and the occupational therapist were all seated likewise the patient and his mother. I managed to pull it through and heaved a sigh of relief! cheesy cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Yemisih(f): 4:01pm On Apr 22, 2020
Please what is MDT ?
Soknown:
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Iruosonobrugwhe: 4:08pm On Apr 22, 2020
many thanks.......

Hunnybee:

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Mindlog: 4:27pm On Apr 22, 2020
Yemisih:
Please what is MDT ?

Multidisciplinary team.

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by neloyah: 8:13pm On Apr 22, 2020
Soknown:
In case you're wondering, what an amala inspired farewell means, it's simply 180° co levitation bi -parallel disposition of the human frame as evidenced by your chest touching the floor.
I know, I know it's too early for this. grin

Your sense of humor is something else grin
There's no relation in your diagnosis tho tongue

2 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Yemisih(f): 8:49pm On Apr 22, 2020
Ohhhk tnks
Mindlog:

Multidisciplinary team.
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by neloyah: 8:50pm On Apr 22, 2020
Wonderful thread...

2 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Bonjovi13: 8:32am On Apr 23, 2020
Nice thread @Soknown Your writting is very expressive and your use of words make following your flow very easy.I am always wanting to know what next.
I have also followed your soldier boy thread...I'm sure it would be quite a read.

2 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Yemisih(f): 11:10am On Apr 23, 2020
While u wait for Op's response, u can join D's UK thread nd ask ur question there too. https://www.nairaland.com/4158866/living-uk-life-uk-immigrant
Bonjovi13:
Nice thread @Soknown Your writting is very expressive and your use of words make following your flow very easy.I am always wanting to know what next.
I have also followed your soldier boy thread...I'm sure it would be quite a read.

I'd like your input if you may on a personal issue.

My wife is a BSC registered nurse and midwife.
Finished with an impressive grade from a reputable private university in Nigeria.

Although she had a brief stint working in a clinical settings during ger service year,she has been in the HMO sector for the most part of her career.

She is mulling the idea of us relocating to UK.
What advice would you give her.She has not worked in a hospital for years although she has been updating herself.What career path is available for her in the UK.

Secondly I am a lawyer by profession although I also work in a Federal Government parastatal.I have my own private law practice and businesses on the side.I am not doing badly thanks to God.

My question then is what is available for me in the UK.I cannot convert to nursing.I am a thoroughbred lawyer and business man.Nigeria and the UK are both members of the Commonwealth and we have the same legal system generally. To practice law in the UK is possible but I'd have to write the bar exams and stuff.That would cost money and time.
With money being a critical factor in the UK(gleaned from your story),can we cope.
We dont have any children yet.I am willing to let her go alone and I visit regularly but she is not too comfortable with that.
Just give me your take. Anyone too who has an understanding of the career path of a lawyer in the UK can advice me too.
Thanks

3 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 11:24pm On Apr 23, 2020
Bonjovi13:

Just give me your take. Anyone too who has an understanding of the career path of a lawyer in the UK can advice me too.
Thanks

Thanks for your good words.
I believe your wife will have no issue in fitting g into the clinical settings. Apart from the OSCE, each trust has preceptorship programs which provide tailor-made, trust-specific information for new staff members. Per coping, yes. You should be able to cope.
As for yourself, I am afraid i have no clue. As Yemisih advised you can post same question on that thread, i believe you will get enough response.

7 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by haiti007(m): 7:38pm On Apr 24, 2020
Soknown:

Thanks for your good words.
I believe your wife will have no issue in fitting g into the clinical settings. Apart from the OSCE, each trust has preceptorship programs which provide tailor-made, trust-specific information for new staff members. Per coping, yes. You should be able to cope.
As for yourself, I am afraid i have no clue. As Yemisih advised you can post same question on that thread, i believe you will get enough response.

Sir, I must commend. I envy virtually all about you. From your writing skills, to your courage and lot more.

Please advice me.
Growing up has been challenging and rough. It hasn't been easy. In fact. Am 25 now and hitherto, I don't have any degree whatsoever.
For a while now, I've been trying nursing into OAU in Nigeria, but i have always had below cut off.

This year's utme was worse. I had way below my past score. 213. Am considering putting in for SON and conclude my BSC in UK.
In respect to your experience sir, kindly put me through in things am ignorant of.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by BoyDimples: 8:46pm On Apr 24, 2020
Mr Soknown I love your writing and enjoying this read. More strength to your hustle just remembered my first few days as a Pharmacist in the UK.

Soknown:

Thank you for your good words, Writing, good write-up is a product of many factors. Practice, knowledge, Confidence. etc Growing up, i had wanted to be a Journalist but Truth be told, i am not very good at writing, if i am, i would have published many books. This project i am writing is experiential so that makes it easy to write, even at that, I have to edit it countless times before i post. I believe you have a story to be told just like everyone else. So start with your story, write it anyhow it comes, then edit and make corrections. You can record your thought in words before you then transcribe it, your confidence will grow with time. When you read, try to get into the writer's mind. why did the writer put a instead of b or c? As i said earlier, I appreciate your good words.

Concerning your cousin, let her follow her passion and ability, but it is advisable to get a University degree as advised earlier by Phocallmods and Yemisih. Hopefully she will make very good grades next year. Let her choose in between the two courses based on her passion, you can nudge her as you have started but let her choose. I hope going for the course at Yaba tech would not distract her from reading and writing the next WAEC and JAMB. Good luck to her, i will be following up with you.

2 Likes

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 10:51pm On Apr 24, 2020
haiti007:

Sir, I must commend. I envy virtually all about you. From your writing skills, to your courage and lot more.

Please advice me.
Growing up has been challenging and rough. It hasn't been easy. In fact. Am 25 now and hitherto, I don't have any degree whatsoever.
For a while now, I've been trying nursing into OAU in Nigeria, but i have always had below cut off.

This year's utme was worse. I had way below my past score. 213. Am considering putting in for SON and conclude my BSC in UK.
In respect to your experience sir, kindly put me through in things am ignorant of.
Let me ask you, what course is actually your passion? I asked this because it seems you are saying when the desirable is not available, the available becomes desirable.
As for SON, most of them have online presence, you can search for their contacts and you will get all the information you need. You can check naijanursesforum and nursing world Nigeria for more specific information.
Dig deeper, push and believe in yourself, do not settle for less. I wish you good luck.

1 Like

Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by Soknown: 10:52pm On Apr 24, 2020
BoyDimples:
Mr Soknown I love your writing and enjoying this read. More strength to your hustle just remembered my first few days as a Pharmacist in the UK.

Thank you so much.
Re: The Odyssey. Narrative Of A Nigerian Nurse. (PROPRIETARY CONTENT) by haiti007(m): 11:09pm On Apr 24, 2020
Soknown:

Let me ask you, what course is actually your passion? I asked this because it seems you are saying when the desirable is not available, the available becomes desirable.
As for SON, most of them have online presence, you can search for their contacts and you will get all the information you need. You can check naijanursesforum and nursing world Nigeria for more specific information.
Dig deeper, push and believe in yourself, do not settle for less. I wish you good luck.

Thank you sir for the time taken to attend to my question.
To your question Sir.
I have a very strong passion for nursing.
I have checked the nursing forum, but due to the lockdown, there no relevant informations as regards admission.

Am planning to take two forms. One from luth and the other from Nacon. I will settle with whichsoever one that comes first.
I started my preparations though

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Why Is Nobody Traveling To Benin Republic? (my Honest Opinion Video) / The First Flight Of New Airbus BelugaXL Cargo Plane That Looks Like Whale / Lagos Life: 10 Reasons You Should Move From Mainland To Island

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 154
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.