Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,854 members, 7,810,284 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state (37830 Views)

Oldest History Books Say Yoruba Not Benin Founded Lagos / Why Is The Yoruba Not United In Business & Politics / How A Tribe, Kilba, In Adamawa Bury Their Dead (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 2:36pm On Mar 10, 2020
MelesZenawi:

I am not yoruba nor Oduduwa.

Your Benin kingdom is non of my business as far you doesn't encroach in Igboland.

Bini man is same as a yoruba man.

Igbos has their own history entirely different from thosee two.

You have no history, just like the Yoruba. The only difference between Igbo and Yoruba is that Igbo were taken as slaves while Yoruba were brought into the region as former slaves. No history, just a brainwashed youth which makes up a story and calls it history.
You see land here and say: it is part of igboland ( which is just an other fiction, there is no precolonial country called igboland). You see people there, you say: they migrated from nri. You guys are fools. History has already happened and you are not going to ba able to change it. Also for your information, many of us in Edo-state have relatives in Delta-state. Delta state has never been part of the east. It was previously part of Bendel and Midwest before that and western region before that and Benin Kingdom before that.

Not just that rivers state as well has no Igbo connection. Forget about the south-south we are not dummies and will never roll with you. We will roll together as one.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by usebog: 3:58pm On Mar 10, 2020
ghostwon:

You have no history, just like the Yoruba. The only difference between Igbo and Yoruba is that Igbo were taken as slaves while Yoruba were brought into the region as former slaves. No history, just a brainwashed youth which makes up a story and calls it history.
You see land here and say: it is part of igboland ( which is just an other fiction, there is no precolonial country called igboland). You see people there, you say: they migrated from nri. You guys are fools. History has ready happened and you are not going to ba able to change it. Also for your information, many of us in Edo-state have relatives in Delta-state. Delta state has never been part of the east. It was previously part of Bendel and Midwest before that and western region before that and Benin Kingdom before that.

Not just that rivers state as well has no Igbo connection. Forget about the south-south we are not dummies and will never roll with you. We will roll together as one.
Lol �
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 6:46pm On Mar 10, 2020
ghostwon:

You see land here and say: it is part of igboland ( which is just an other fiction, there is no precolonial country called igboland). You see people there, you say: they migrated from nri. You guys are fools. History has already happened and you are not going to ba able to change it. Also for your information, many of us in Edo-state have relatives in Delta-state. Delta state has never been part of the east. It was previously part of Bendel and Midwest before that and western region before that and Benin Kingdom before that.

Lol

gibberish.

your relatives has igbo names...Lol

where I sleeping when typing this...Lol

Urhobo relates to Edo I fully agree..

Anything aside that na scam..Lol

Any upward river Niger , young man mind your boundaries.

Seems you are living in world of fantasy.

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 6:50pm On Mar 10, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Lol

gibberish.

your relatives has igbo names...Lol

where I sleeping when typing this...Lol

Urhobo relates to Edo I fully agree..

Anything aside that na scam..Lol

Any upward river Niger , young man mind your boundaries.

Seems you are living in world of fantasy.

The people you say have igbo names keep telling you: leave us the Bleep alone !
For the ignoramus which you are: Obaseki is an anioma family and they are purely Edo.
You guys in enugu are very confused.
Stop claiming people based on your belief they have igbo names. I know, you just want to grab their land but they don't want you and won't serve your purpose. Now fvck off.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 7:01pm On Mar 10, 2020
ghostwon:

The people you say have igbo names keep telling you: leave us the Bleep alone !
For the ignoramus which you are: Obaseki is an anioma family and they are purely Edo.
You guys in enugu are very confused.
Stop claiming people based on your belief they have igbo names. I know, you just want to grab their land but they don't want you and won't serve your purpose. Now fvck off.

Lol.... You're really funny.

Anioma na Edo language abi?....Lol

Seems you are sleeping while typing this.

All the time you were peddling your fake, I already knew where you are driving at but let it be stated in clear terms that your map ends in Edo state.

How do you guys think sef. Someone with full Igbo names and you are here claiming it as yours....Lol

This is nothing but delusion.

Edo belongs to Oduduwa republic...QED.

2 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 10, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Lol.... You're really funny.

Anioma na Edo language abi?....Lol

Seems you are sleeping while typing this.

All the time you were peddling your fake, I already knew where you are driving at but let it be stated in clear terms that your map ends in Edo state.

How do you guys think sef. Someone with full Igbo names and you are here claiming it as yours....Lol

This is nothing but delusion.

Edo belongs to Oduduwa republic...QED.
You know what, we are both speaking english, I guiess we are british ! (your logics)
Also, we both have an english name, once again, we are british !
I wonder why britain is not claiming us.
Fool. Stop claiming what doesn't belong to you. And on the behalf of my Anioma brothers: leave us alone !
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 7:12pm On Mar 10, 2020
ghostwon:

You know what, we are both speaking english, I guiess we are british ! (your logics)
Also, we both have an english name, once again, we are british !
I wonder why britain is not claiming us.
Fool. Stop claiming what doesn't belong to you. And on the behalf of my Anioma brothers: leave us alone !

Lolzzz

Very funny indeed.

You left Yorubas that are nearer and closer to you which should be your rallying point but here you are busy forcing yourself in midst of people that you are totally strange.

How do you reason at all?

You have Rotimi , olusegun in Edo like Yoruba....Have you heard any Over this side?

Your logic is weak and stale.

I will advise you people to join Oduduwa be and afenifere towards Oduduwa republic.

You join where there are similarities not where there are none.

2 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 7:29am On Mar 11, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Lolzzz

Very funny indeed.

You left Yorubas that are nearer and closer to you which should be your rallying point but here you are busy forcing yourself in midst of people that you are totally strange.

How do you reason at all?

You have Rotimi , olusegun in Edo like Yoruba....Have you heard any Over this side?

Your logic is weak and stale.

I will advise you people to join Oduduwa be and afenifere towards Oduduwa republic.

You join where there are similarities not where there are none.

The Eze Chime family from the old Benin empire still remains in Benin till today, they are identified by their morning greetings, Lavi-Eze.

Eze Chime like the Obaseki family where originally from the Anioma part of old Benin Kingdom, their forebears where part of the nobility of Benin.

Eze Chime rose to the position of the Iyase of Benin, prime minister which was the only second position to the Oba. The Iyase is the only person that tradition permits to argue and disagree with the Oba without facing any repercussion.

Eze Chime left Benin City to establish most of the kingship in Anioma and Onitsha.

The Benin kingdom was served by families from tribes that are today referred to Yoruba and Igbo. The Yoruba and Igbo of today are products of politics.

The Benin royal houses still have prominent families from Ife, Akure, Anioma, Urhobo etc. They and all other families in Benin are identified with their morning greetings.

Any person claiming Benin that has no family morning greeting is not a Benin person. This is one of the traditions that make the Benins very unique.

The current Iyase of Benin is of Urhobo ancestry in Delta state.

The Benin kingdom had in the past Iyase, prime ministers whose ancestry where Ijaw, Anioma, Akure, Urhobo etc.

You guys know very little about Benin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 2:01pm On Mar 11, 2020
samuk:

The Eze Chime family from the old Benin empire still remains in Benin till today, they are identified by their morning greetings, Lavi-Eze.

Eze Chime like the Obaseki family where originally from the Anioma part of old Benin Kingdom, their forebears where part of the nobility of Benin.

Eze Chime rose to the position of the Iyase of Benin, prime minister which was the only second position to the Oba. The Iyase is the only person that tradition permits to argue and disagree with the Oba without facing any repercussion.

Eze Chime left Benin City to establish most of the kingship in Anioma and Onitsha.

The Benin kingdom was served by families from tribes that are today referred to Yoruba and Igbo. The Yoruba and Igbo of today are products of politics.

The Benin royal houses still have prominent families from Ife, Akure, Anioma, Urhobo etc. They and all other families in Benin are identified with their morning greetings.

Any person claiming Benin that has no family morning greeting is not a Benin person. This is one of the traditions that make the Benins very unique.

The Benin kingdom had in the past Iyase, prime ministers whose ancestry where Ijaw, Anioma, Akure, Urhobo etc.

The guy (meleszenawi) is a troll. He is saying what he says on purpose, he disregards facts and logics. You prove him wrong only for him to continue making the same debunked claim again and again. He is madness defined. So don't expect him to become reasonable, he is a troll.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 3:30pm On Mar 11, 2020
samuk:

How do you feel writing this essay to reach onitsha.

I am not disputing of Yorubas relationship to Edo as it can even be seen in names both answers, title of Kings and others.

But on Igbo claim, it totally and unholy fabricated and should be discarded the way it comes. Igbos don't have any culture in common with Benin even by names, kings title or any..

For Urhobo , nobody is disputing that but towards R.niger the story is purely fake.

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 11:42pm On Mar 11, 2020
MelesZenawi:

I am not disputing of Yorubas relationship to Edo as it can even be seen in names both answers, title of Kings and others.

But on Igbo claim, it totally and unholy fabricated and should be discarded the way it comes. Igbos don't have any culture in common with Benin even by names, kings title or any..

For Urhobo , nobody is disputing that but towards R.niger the story is purely fake.

Find yourself a copy of Nnamdi Azikiwe autobiography and history of Onitsha people to read.
Below is an extract.

Nnamdi Azikiwe: My Genealogy and Nativity

"Thus, in tracing my paternal lineage, I could say that both parents of my father are direct descendants of Eze Chima. As for me, I can trace my paternal ancestry in this wise: I am the first son of Chukwuemeka, who was the third child and first son of Azikiwe, who was the second son of Molokwu, who was the third son of Ozomaocha, who was the second son of Inosi Onira, who was the fourth son of Dei, the second son of Eze Chima, the founder of Onitsha." SOURCE - Nnamdi A zikiwe: My Odyssey, Chapter I (Spectrum Books, 1970) "My Genealogy and Nativity" p4 "I can trace my maternal ancestry thus: I am the first son of Nwanonaku Rachel Chinwe Ogbenyeanu (Aghadiuno)Azikiwe, who was third daughter of Aghadiuno Ajie, the fifth son of Onowu Agbani, first daughter of Obi Udokwu, the son who descended from five Kings of Onitsha. Five of these rulers of Onitsha were direct lineal descendants of Eze Chima, who led his warrior adventurers when they left Benin to establish the Onitsha city state in about 1748 AD." SOURCE - Nnamdi Azikiwe: My Odyssey, Chapter I (Spectrum Books, 1970) "My Genealogy and Nativity" p5 "One day I asked her (grandmother) the meaning of the word 'Onitsha'. She explained that it had historical significance. The terminology meant one who despised another. It is a contraction of two words, Onini to despise, and Ncha meaning others. So that the two words when joined together mean one who despises others. Then I asked her why we despised others. She patted me on the back and told me that it was due to our aristocratic background and tradition. I insisted that she should explain to me the basis of this supercilious social attitude. She told me that we despised others because we descended from the Royal House of Benin and so regarded ourselves as the superiors of other tribes who had no royal blood in their veins....." "I continued to belabor my grandmother to tell me more of the history and origins of the Onitsha people. She narrated that many many years ago, there lived at Idu (Benin) a great Oba who had many children. Due to a power struggle regarding the right of precedence among princes of the blood and other altercations, there was a civil war in Benin. One day, the supporters of one of the princes insulted and assaulted Queen Asije, the mother of of the Oba of Benin, who was accused of having trespassed on their farmland. Enraged at this evidence of indiscipline and lawlessness, the Oba ordered his war chief and brother, Gbunwala Asije to apprehend and punish the insurgents. In the attempt to penalise them, Chima, the ultimate founder of the Onitsha city-state, a prince of the blood in his own right, led the recalcitrants against his Uncle, Gbunwala. This intensified the civil war which rent the kingdom of Benin in two and led to the founding of Onitsha Ado N'Idu....... ..." "As the great trek from Benin progressed, some did not have the stout heart of the pioneer-warrior, and decided to settle at different places, known today as Onitsha -Ugbo, Onitsha-Olona, Onitsha-Mili, Obior, Issele Ukwu, Ossomari, Aboh, etc..." SOURCE - Nnamdi Azikiwe: My Odyssey, Chapter I (Spectrum Books, 1970) "My Genealogy and Nativity"
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Shiver99: 1:53am On Mar 12, 2020
samuk:

Find yourself a copy of Nnamdi Azikiwe autobiography and history of Onitsha people to read.
Below is an extract.

"Thus, in tracing my paternal lineage, I could say that both parents of my father are direct descendants of Eze Chima. As for me, I can trace my paternal ancestry in this wise: I am the first son of Chukwuemeka, who was the third child and first son of Azikiwe, who was the second son of Molokwu, who was the third son of Ozomaocha, who was the second son of Inosi Onira, who was the fourth son of Dei, the second son of Eze Chima, the founder of Onitsha." SOURCE - Nnamdi A zikiwe: My Odyssey, Chapter I (Spectrum Books, 1970) "My Genealogy and Nativity" p4 "I can trace my maternal ancestry thus: I am the first son of Nwanonaku Rachel Chinwe Ogbenyeanu (Aghadiuno)Azikiwe, who was third daughter of Aghadiuno Ajie, the fifth son of Onowu Agbani, first daughter of Obi Udokwu, the son who descended from five Kings of Onitsha. Five of these rulers of Onitsha were direct lineal descendants of Eze Chima, who led his warrior adventurers when they left Benin to establish the Onitsha city state in about 1748 AD." SOURCE - Nnamdi Azikiwe: My Odyssey, Chapter I (Spectrum Books, 1970) "My Genealogy and Nativity" p5 "One day I asked her (grandmother) the meaning of the word 'Onitsha'. She explained that it had historical significance. The terminology meant one who despised another. It is a contraction of two words, Onini to despise, and Ncha meaning others. So that the two words when joined together mean one who despises others. Then I asked her why we despised others. She patted me on the back and told me that it was due to our aristocratic background and tradition. I insisted that she should explain to me the basis of this supercilious social attitude. She told me that we despised others because we descended from the Royal House of Benin and so regarded ourselves as the superiors of other tribes who had no royal blood in their veins....." "I continued to belabor my grandmother to tell me more of the history and origins of the Onitsha people. She narrated that many many years ago, there lived at Idu (Benin) a great Oba who had many children. Due to a power struggle regarding the right of precedence among princes of the blood and other altercations, there was a civil war in Benin. One day, the supporters of one of the princes insulted and assaulted Queen Asije, the mother of of the Oba of Benin, who was accused of having trespassed on their farmland. Enraged at this evidence of indiscipline and lawlessness, the Oba ordered his war chief and brother, Gbunwala Asije to apprehend and punish the insurgents. In the attempt to penalise them, Chima, the ultimate founder of the Onitsha city-state, a prince of the blood in his own right, led the recalcitrants against his Uncle, Gbunwala. This intensified the civil war which rent the kingdom of Benin in two and led to the founding of Onitsha Ado N'Idu....... ..." "As the great trek from Benin progressed, some did not have the stout heart of the pioneer-warrior, and decided to settle at different places, known today as Onitsha -Ugbo, Onitsha-Olona, Onitsha-Mili, Obior, Issele Ukwu, Ossomari, Aboh, etc..." SOURCE - Nnamdi Azikiwe: My Odyssey, Chapter I (Spectrum Books, 1970) "My Genealogy and Nativity"

What is generally agreed on is that Igbo people living in the Benin area (As verified by European travellers) who were most likely descendants of priests and artisans, decided to move back into Igboland, most likely following following some economic event. The ones that stayed were absorbed into the Benin population.

This is a migration pattern that has happened many times in global history. Which would explain why Igbo have nothing in common with Benin. The group most prevalent distinct relationship to the onitsha people are the Nri.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 2:00am On Mar 12, 2020
Shiver99:

What is generally agreed on is that Igbo people living in the Benin area (As verified by European travellers) who were most likely descendants of priests and artisans, decided to move back into Igboland, most likely following following some economic event. The ones that stayed were absorbed into the Benin population.

This is a migration pattern that has happened many times in global history. Which would explain why Igbo have nothing in common with Benin. The group most prevalent distinct relationship to the onitsha people are the Nri.
Total bullshit.
History is not propaganda.
It is not about writing whatever suits your ambitions of the momment.
Onitcha has nothing to do with nri !
Your story is stupid and an obvious scam.
What in hell is igboland ?
Which precolonial country is that ?
There is no such thing.

You wrote your rubbish just to take away Benin as source of the Anioma and replace it with nri. How dumb do you think people are ?
You hear the Anioma themselves tell you they are related to Benin, but of course you have to twist everything band turn it into nri instead.
"Nothing in common with Benin", the Obi of Onitcha carries a Benin sword !

Read this again and crie in silence :

samuk:

Below is an extract.

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 2:09am On Mar 12, 2020
The Yoruba created an "ife" genesis story, now the Igbo are copying that and creating an "nri" genesis story.
Both ife and nri were small little villages in precolonial times.
The Obi of Onitcha is himself more powerful than the nri whatever.

You guys whom are trying to rewrite African history are doing nothing but damaging the future of the black race, all this for your current ethnic ambitions.
History will remember you guys as the kappos who destroyed the black race for peanuts.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Shiver99: 2:28am On Mar 12, 2020
ghostwon:

Total bullshit.
It is not about writing whatever suits your ambiotions of the momment.
There is no such thing.

You wrote your rubbish just to take away Benin as source of the Anioma and replace it with nri. How dumb do you think people are ?
You hear the Anioma themselves tell you they are related to Benin, but of course you have to twist everything band turn it into nri instead.

Did one comment require all this lamentations? Onitsha has approximately nothing to do with Benin.

Even the name Onitsha is a common place name in Igboland.

Benin rose sharply in significance during the slave trade, conversely, during that time Nri’s influence was declining rapidly. Despite this, European travellers still recorded the tremendous influence that they wielded in Southern Nigeria that an Nri priest had to be present in the coronation of kings.

Onitsha culture mimics that of the igbos around them. Nothing of Benin exist in the place, not even language. The igbos that would allegedly have returned back to Igboland would have reacculturated by the prevailing force of the dominant culture there.

Hence the only claim to this story is gimmicks like the Benin sword, which would have been easily adopted due to proximity.

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Shiver99: 2:45am On Mar 12, 2020
Shiver99:

Did one comment require all this lamentations? Onitsha has approximately nothing to do with Benin.

Even the name Onitsha is a common place name in Igboland.

Benin rose sharply in significance during the slave trade, conversely, during that time Nri’s influence was declining rapidly. Despite this, European travellers still recorded the tremendous influence that they wielded in Southern Nigeria that an Nri priest had to be present in the coronation of kings.

Onitsha culture mimics that of the igbos around them. Nothing of Benin exist in the place, not even language. The igbos that would allegedly have returned back to Igboland would have reacculturated by the prevailing force of the dominant culture there.

Hence the only claim to this story is gimmicks like the Benin sword, which would have been easily adopted due to proximity.

Additionally, one would have to query on why EZE Chima and his family all had Igbo names, and the places they founded again also had Igbo names.

Archaeology tells us that the area called Onitsha was already populated long before the founding of Onitsha town, which that paper puts in the late 1700s.( Onitsha itself is a small town
near the niger that makes up just a sliver of modern day Onitsha city).

Either the progenitors of Onitsha town were Igbo citizens of Benin who reverse-migrated back to Igboland.
Or the dominating culture of Igbos was so prevalent that he and his entire entourage were immediately igbonised the instant they left Benin’s borders.

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 5:22am On Mar 12, 2020
samuk:

Below is an extract.

As we all know Azikiwe genealogy has been disproved by many scholars as years run by. So read again and see the distortion and non agreement in his essay.

2 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 5:27am On Mar 12, 2020
Shiver99:

Exactly@bolded

I don't know what that ghostwon wants to gain in distorting history...his actions looks so petty.

2 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 6:04am On Mar 12, 2020
ghostwon:

Total bullshit.
It is not about writing whatever suits your ambitions of the momment.
There is no such thing.

What the hell is Benin kingdom.

A kingdom not less than 7 local government is what you are comparing to land of over 150 local Governments....

Are you okay?

There are things we don't need to argue which are Edos and Yoruba rely even with Urhobo but that of Igbo is a fabricated fallacy.

Join hands with Yorubas for future Oduduwa republic and stop all these archaic and unfounding history

2 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 8:27am On Mar 12, 2020
MelesZenawi:

As we all know Azikiwe genealogy has been disproved by many scholars as years run by. So read again and see the distortion and non agreement in his essay.

Since you and your co travellers know Nnamdi Azikiwe genealogy more than the great Zik himself and all his forebears before him who passed down their history to him, it's a complete waste of time debating you guys.

But be reminded that the history of Benin Kingdom is too established for you guys to be able to distort or change it.

Various European nations had been visiting and writing independent accounts of Benin Kingdom and it's vastness since the 1400s, about 600 years ago, long before the names, Yoruba, Ibo and Igbo where coined to represent a group of villages/villagers and returned slaves for political identification.

Like Benin, Rome is just a city today confirmed to the Vatican but it will be a historical heresy to argue that it didn't once rule over almost the entire known world including Europe and part of Africa.

Throughout history, great empires and kingdoms do rise and fall and shrink in sizes.

The Obi of Onitsha doesn't only carry the Benin traditional sword, his official traditional title, Agboghidi is also a Benin title.

Agboghidi the original bearer of that name/title was a great man from Ugo town in present day Orhionmwon local government area of Edo state.

In recent edition of Ofala festival, the Benin traditional attire was fully represented by a group of Onitsha men and women who wore them.

There was no such thing as a pre colonial Igbo, what you have where villages which where mostly under the leadership of the Oba of Benin.

You guys can read the works of Olaudah Equinano if you are really interested in the true history of what is today known as Anioma and south east Igbo.

Olaudah Equiano.

Olaudah Equiano (c. 1745 – 31 March 1797), known for most of his life as Gustavus Vassa (/ˈvæsə/),[5][6] was a writer and abolitionist from, according to his memoir, the Eboe region of the Kingdom of Benin (today southern Nigeria). Enslaved as a child, he was taken to the Caribbean and sold as a slave to a Royal Navy officer. He was sold twice more but purchased his freedom in 1766.

Olaudah Equiano is believed by historians to have been a native of either the present day Anioma or present day Abia State. He wrote his book in the 1700s when there was no place called Igbo land in Nigeria, long before latterday revisionist where born.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by AreaFada2: 11:04am On Mar 12, 2020
samuk:

Since you and your co travellers know Nnamdi Azikiwe genealogy more than the great Zik himself and all his forebears before him who passed down their history to him, it's a complete waste of time debating you guys.

But be reminded that the history of Benin Kingdom is too established for you guys to be able to distort or change it.

Various European nations had been visiting and writing independent accounts of Benin Kingdom and it's vastness since the 1400s, about 600 years ago, long before the names, Yoruba, Ibo and Igbo where coined to represent a group of villages/villagers and returned slaves for political identification.

Like Benin, Rome is just a city today confirmed to the Vatican but it will be a historical heresy to argue that it didn't once rule over almost the entire known world including Europe and part of Africa.

Throughout history, great empires and kingdoms do rise and fall and shrink in sizes.

The Obi of Onitsha doesn't only carry the Benin traditional sword, his official traditional title, Agboghidi is also a Benin title.

Agboghidi the original bearer of that name/title was a great man from Ugo town in present day Orhionmwon local government area of Edo state.

In recent edition of Ofala festival, the Benin traditional attire was fully represented by a group of Onitsha men and women who wore them.

There was no such thing as a pre colonial Igbo, what you have where villages which where mostly under the leadership of the Oba of Benin.

You guys can read the works of Olaudah Equinano if you are really interested in the true history of what is today known as Anioma and south east Igbo.

Olaudah Equiano.

Olaudah Equiano (c. 1745 – 31 March 1797), known for most of his life as Gustavus Vassa (/ˈvæsə/),[5][6] was a writer and abolitionist from, according to his memoir, the Eboe region of the Kingdom of Benin (today southern Nigeria). Enslaved as a child, he was taken to the Caribbean and sold as a slave to a Royal Navy officer. He was sold twice more but purchased his freedom in 1766.

Olaudah Equiano is believed by historians to have been a native of either the present day Anioma or present day Abia State. He wrote his book in the 1700s when there was no place called Igbo land in Nigeria, long before latterday revisionist where born.
Dude, most people who make provocative statements here are not as smart as they like to portray themselves. Due to British disingenuous machinations, the rise of big tribes by population and the skewing of historical facts make people think life was always as it is now.
Like you mentioned, independent accounts of Benin history by Europeans over nearly 600 years abound. Rome, a small settlement by the River Tiber rose to control their known world.

Aside copy and paste, one on one, most cannot verbally explain the history they claim to know here. In Benin history is woven into the unique morning greetings of each family, songs, folklore, stories, proverbs, worship, prayers, marriage, royal activities and celebration, professional guild occupations, etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 12:09pm On Mar 12, 2020
AreaFada2:

Dude, most people who make provocative statements here are not as smart as they like to portray themselves. Due to British disingenuous machinations, the rise of big tribes by population and the skewing of historical facts make people think life was always as it is now.
Like you mentioned, independent accounts of Benin history by Europeans over nearly 600 years abound. Rome, a small settlement by the River Tiber rose to control their known world.

Aside copy and paste, one on one, most cannot verbally explain the history the claim to know here. In Benin history is woven into the unique morning greetings of each family, songs, folklore, stories, proverbs, worship, prayers, marriage, royal activities and celebration, professional guild occupations, etc.

Most of them have no history, that is why you see a lot of distortions in their stories. How do you take stories from people who where formerly of different tribes and clans and try to make a unified history out of it without making a mess of the entire exercise.

Onitsha history is different from it's neighbouring Igbo towns, but because they have all now be lumped together as Igbo due to politic, you see someone from Owerre who hardly knows his own history arguing Onitsha history with Nnamdi Azikiwe. Similar thing you find with the Yorubas with someone from Ogbomosho arguing the history of Lagos and Lagos monarchy with the Oba of Lagos.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by AreaFada2: 12:56pm On Mar 12, 2020
samuk:

Most of them have no history, that is why you see a lot of distortions in their stories. How do you take stories from people who where formerly of different tribes and clans and try to make a unified history out of it without making a mess of the entire exercise.

Onitsha history is different from it's neighbouring Igbo towns, but because they have all now be lumped together as Igbo due to politic, you see someone from Owerre who hardly knows his own history arguing Onitsha history with Nnamdi Azikiwe. Similar thing you find with the Yorubas with someone from Ogbomosho arguing the history of Lagos and Lagos monarchy with the Oba of Lagos.
You have summed it up succinctly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Shiver99: 1:27pm On Mar 12, 2020
samuk:

Olaudah Equiano.

LOL! Ok, let me just say this because it's clear that you are severely misinformed. At the height of the benin empire, most igbos still were not aware it existed. IT was simply insignificant to the vast majority of the Igbo population other than the tribes that neighboured them or traded directly with them.

OLaudah stated that he came from the province of 'eboe' in the 'vast benin empire'... lipsrsealed Now, anyone informed by history, reading that statement should have paused there. Olaudah is believed to come from somewhere around modern Anambra so such a strange statement should be treated with skepticism.

The reason that Olaudah made that statement is because, during that time, Europeans had only made in contact with coastal African kingdoms. And in their crude understanding believed the territory of Benin covered all the land from west Africa to modern day Ethiopia, completely ignoring all civilisations in between; as indicated in that book. Now does that make any sense to you? grin

Even Olaudah himself in his biography wasn't convinced of this European belief and made sure that his readers knew it. He made sure after that sentence to state that neither he nor anyone in his town had ever heard of Benin prior to arriving in the west.

Once again, Igbos are very different from your people, I suggest you look west and stop dragging Igbo history with Igbo people.

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by samuk: 1:59pm On Mar 12, 2020
Shiver99:

LOL! Ok, let me just say this because it's clear that you are severely misinformed. At the height of the benin empire, most igbos still were not aware it existed. IT was simply insignificant to the vast majority of the Igbo population other than the tribes that neighboured them or traded directly with them.

OLaudah stated that he came from the province of 'eboe' in the 'vast benin empire'... lipsrsealed Now, anyone informed by history, reading that statement should have paused there. Olaudah is believed to come from somewhere around modern Anambra so such a strange statement should be treated with skepticism.

The reason that Olaudah made that statement is because, during that time, Europeans had only made in contact with coastal African kingdoms. And in their crude understanding believed the territory of Benin covered all the land from west Africa to modern day Ethiopia, completely ignoring all civilisations in between; as indicated in that book. Now does that make any sense to you? grin

Even Olaudah himself in his biography wasn't convinced of this European belief and made sure that his readers knew it. He made sure after that sentence to state that neither he nor anyone in his town had ever heard of Benin prior to arriving in the west.

Once again, Igbos are very different from your people, I suggest you look west and stop dragging Igbo history with Igbo people.

The second to your last paragraphs is a complete fallacy, there is no where in Olaudah's book where he stated that neither he nor anyone in his town had ever heard of Benin prior to arriving in the west. It's either you haven't read the book, you misunderstood it or you read it upside down.

Olaudah made mention of the great king in Benin who he described as having less than nominal rule over his people, even though they where part of the Benin kingdom, his people where mostly allowed to run their affairs with little or no interference from Benin City, the capital of the empire.

There where no singular Igbo race as you would make us believe at this time, hundreds of years ago, present day Igbo land comprises of different people and villages then.

You stated that there are claims that Oluadah was possibly from present day Anambra, whether Anambra, Abia as claimed by some or Anioma in Delta state, one thing is for sure, all these places where one time under the Benin Empire.

Historians believe Olaudah to have been a native of Anioma or the south east because of his tradition which he described in his book.

You treat Nnamdi Azikiwe autobiography with scepticism, you treat Olaudah equiano's autobiography written over 200 years ago with scepticism and expect us to believe and take your Aba made stories written yesterday as history, wonder they say shall never end.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 2:35pm On Mar 12, 2020
Shiver99:

I guess you were not only there in the 1400's but that you were also in the heads of the europeans and that you watched stayed there and observed over the centuries. That would be the only logical explanation for your statement. You are not only a time traveler but also a mind reader.

You claim europeans met only costal kingdoms, yet their maps show kingdoms very far away from the coasts, e.g mali.
The capital of Benin empire is not a costal city neither ! But the europeans visited it even though many towns are between Benin city and the coast, they saw Lagos, they saw Warri, but they had to go to the nerve center of the empire, Benin city.

You are trying very hard to rubbish actual history and replace it with your fabricated fiction.
Your logics: "the people who witnessed our ancestors and wrote what they saw were wrong, I did a time travel and also read their minds. I who was not born when history was taken place, I know better than those who actually saw what was taking place and wrote it down."

With these your superpowers, can you tell me what is happening in my house right now, let us put your superpowers to test.
You are a medium with magical powers.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by lx3as(m): 11:45am On Mar 13, 2020
ghostwon:
The Yoruba created an "ife" genesis story, now the Igbo are copying that and creating an "nri" genesis story.
Both ife and nri were small little villages in precolonial times.
The Obi of Onitcha is himself more powerful than the nri whatever.

You guys whom are trying to rewrite African history are doing nothing but damaging the future of the black race, all this for your current ethnic ambitions.
History will remember you guys as the kappos who destroyed the black race for peanuts.

When you read Bini revisionists distorted palm wine shop's stories, there is nothing for one to do than to laugh. One thing these liers fail to know is that intelligence is not hidden. There is difference between Old Igodomigodo and present Bini. The Igodomigodo started as groups of people from Eastern Ondo state, offshoot of Nupe, Noks, and immigrants from the North Eastern Africa. They moved southward to occupy land being left by the Oru people, who had moved toward the Sea. There were more influx of people from West and North West of their newly settled land. They were being ruled by people referred to as 'Sky gods,' the ogisos. The kingdom was never organized until the last Ogisos.

Due to movement of people from Older and larger kingdom of Ìfẹ, Ọwọ, etc, a relationship developed between Ìfẹ and Igodomigodo. I don't need to go into how Oranmiyan gave birth to the present Bini royalty. A lot of people followed him to Bini and decided to settled and helped shape the Kingdom. During Oba periods, Bini became great, more organized and Yorubas' gods, deities, culture were brought in: Umọlẹ from Ekiti, Ayelala from Ìlájé, Olokun from Yorubas (Ijebus, Ikales, Ìlájes) that already settled Ode Itsekiri and Iwerre before Ginuwa arrived and was welcome as their Oba being great grandchild to Oranmiyan. It is foolhardy for someone to be saying Olokun originated from Bini.

There is no doubt there are lots of relationship and intermixing between Yorubas and Binis, notwithstanding there are also lots of egos; one of these was unhappiness of Oba of Bini not being among first two Obas in the Western region. His claim was that he was the first child of Oranmiyan who later gave birth to Alaafin and recent rulers in Ìfẹ.

It is also very funny and stupid when some revisionists claim Bini owns Ekiti, Ondo and Lagos. First, the Eastern and South Eastern Yorubas (who were not being called Yorubas initially and some even refused until British imposition, although they always see themselves as one people from the Source), viewed Bini as one of them (bounded by the royal family and earlier migrated families to Bini Kingdom). Secondly, Bini is not on the shore of the Atlantic but Itsekiris and Ìlájes took Prince Ado to Lagos. During the great period of the empire, Bini also did what Ibadan later did by trying to bring the Eastern Yorubas under their trading influence in alliance with some Yoruba kingdoms that saw Oba of Bini as one of their own. Can we now say because Ibadan, that imposed "Ajeles" on many other Yoruba territories and kingdoms now make everyone in these places Ibadan people and their lands, Ibadanland?

At present, Yorubas are, at least, in 8 states with hundreds of LGAs and some would still be showing their ignorance by saying Yorubas are from 7 Bini LGA, in which Yorubas even made up large part of their inhabitants. 'Bini no dey give birth ni?

To me Edo or Bini is dispensable/inessential to Yorubas except those that want to associate with the Yorubas, for instance the 'Olumolẹs, etc. I have never witnessed visible discriminations between Yorubas and Edos as these revisionists always posit. Edos feel at home in the west just as Yorubas feel at home in Edo and old mid-west. Nobody is trying to force Edo into Yoruba. Itsekiris that are closer are not even forced not to talk about several kingdoms and lands that claim Ìfẹ Source in Delta, Edo, West Africa, etc. are not being forced into Yoruba. Igodomigodo people are not Yorubas, although some would still say, few elements among them were from ancient Akoko area. Yorubas are one of the largest groups in Africa with one of the richest culture, Bini is not a rival at all; this irrelevant ego made it so easy for Biafra soldiers being led by Banjo to conquer mid-west in few days. You Igodomigodo revisionists should look toward Afemai, Ebiras, Nupes, Idomas, etc for rivals not Yorubas who are not emotional or care about you, what you think or do.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by Nobody: 1:43pm On Mar 13, 2020
Look at this time traveller telling us stories with no dates and no proofs and which didn't take place before his eyes.

Myths and other fictions are not history. You call me revisionist and then proceed to tell stories with no proof.

Facts: ife was a small village when the British arrived and took over without a single shot.

Benin was an empire and fought against the British.
Precolonial map of Benin below.
The people rewriting history are the guys who fed you all these lies which you repeated as your gospel.

lx3as:

When you read Bini revisionists distorted palm wine shop's stories, there is nothing for one to do than to laugh. One thing these liers fail to know is that intelligence is not hidden. There is difference between Old Igodomigodo and present Bini. The Igodomigodo started as groups of people from Eastern Ondo state, offshoot of Nupe, Noks, and immigrants from the North Eastern Africa. They moved southward to occupy land being left by the Oru people, who had moved toward the Sea. There were more influx of people from West and North West of their newly settled land. They were being ruled by people referred to as 'Sky gods,' the ogisos. The kingdom was never organized until the last Ogisos.

Due to movement of people from Older and larger kingdom of Ìfẹ, Ọwọ, etc, a relationship developed between Ìfẹ and Igodomigodo. I don't need to go into how Oranmiyan gave birth to the present Bini royalty. A lot of people followed him to Bini and decided to settled and helped shape the Kingdom. During Oba periods, Bini became great, more organized and Yorubas' gods, deities, culture were brought in: Umọlẹ from Ekiti, Ayelala from Ìlájé, Olokun from Yorubas (Ijebus, Ikales, Ìlájes) that already settled Ode Itsekiri and Iwerre before Ginuwa arrived and was welcome as their Oba being great grandchild to Oranmiyan. It is foolhardy for someone to be saying Olokun originated from Bini.

There is no doubt there are lots of relationship and intermixing between Yorubas and Binis, notwithstanding there are also lots of egos; one of these was unhappiness of Oba of Bini not being among first two Obas in the Western region. His claim was that he was the first child of Oranmiyan who later gave birth to Alaafin and recent rulers in Ìfẹ.

It is also very funny and stupid when some revisionists claim Bini owns Ekiti, Ondo and Lagos. First, the Eastern and South Eastern Yorubas (who were not being called Yorubas initially and some even refused until British arrival, although they always see themselves as one people from the Source), viewed Bini as one of them (bounded by the royal family and earlier migrated families to Bini Kingdom). Secondly, Bini is not on the shore of the Atlantic but Itsekiris and Ìlájes took Prince Ado to Lagos. During the great period of the empire, Bini also did what Ibadan later did by trying to bring the Eastern Yorubas under their influence in alliance with some Yoruba kingdoms that saw Oba of Bini as one of their own. Can will now say because Ibadan, that imposed "Ajeles" on many other Yoruba territories and kingdoms now make everyone in these places Ibadan people and their lands, Ibadanland?

At present, Yorubas are, at least, in 8 states with hundreds of LGAs and some would still be showing their ignorance by saying Yorubas are from 7 Bini LGA, in which Yorubas even made up large part of their inhabitants. 'Bini no dey give birth ni?

To me Edo or Bini is dispensable/inessential to Yorubas except those that want to associate with the Yorubas, for instance the 'Olumolẹs, etc. I have never witnessed visible discriminations between Yorubas and Edos as these revisionists always posit. Edos feel at home in the west just as Yorubas feel at home in Edo and old mid-west. Nobody is trying to force Edo into Yoruba. Itsekiris that are closer are not even forced not to talk about several kingdoms and lands that claim Ìfẹ Source in Delta, Edo, West Africa, etc. are not being forced into Yoruba. Igodomigodo people are not Yorubas, although some would still say, few elements among them were from ancient Akoko area. Yorubas are one of the largest groups in Africa with one of the richest culture, Bini is not a rival at all; this irrelevant ego made it so easy for Biafra soldiers being led by Banjo to conquer mid-west in few days. You Igodomigodo revisionists should look toward Afemai, Ebiras, Nupes, Idomas, etc for rivals not Yorubas who are not emotional or care about you, what you think or do.

1 Like

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by lx3as(m): 3:26pm On Mar 13, 2020
ghostwon:
Look at this time traveller telling us stories with no dates and no proofs and which didn't take place before his eyes.

Myths and other fictions are not history. You call me revisionist and then proceed to tell stories with no proof.

Facts: ife was a small village when the British arrived and took over without a single shot.

The people rewriting history are the guys who fed you all these lies which you repeated as your gospel.

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by lx3as(m): 3:47pm On Mar 13, 2020
ghostwon:

Just look at this one! You don't see how you gave dates' proof! I can't begin to spamming Nairaland with irrelevant map or telling you about how Ijebus and other Yoruba kingdoms fought British.

I told you to go and look for your mates (small territories) to begin measuring kingdoms not great Yorubas'. Boy, we don't care whether your less than 7 LGA and one senatorial district/territory exist or not.

6 Likes

Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by bigfrancis21: 5:50pm On Mar 13, 2020
MelesZenawi:

The Binis have the same 4 market days as the Igbo, Eke, Orie, Aho and Okhuo (Nkwo), which they probably borrowed.

Some names have similar meanings, for example Osakhue means the same as Osakwe in Igbo. And many more.
Re: The main reasons Yoruba not enlisted as a tribe in Edo state by scholes0(m): 9:35pm On Mar 13, 2020
lx3as:

It is also very funny and stupid when some revisionists claim Bini owns Ekiti, Ondo and Lagos. First, the Eastern and South Eastern Yorubas (who were not being called Yorubas initially and some even refused until British arrival, although they always see themselves as one people from the Source), viewed Bini as one of them (bounded by the royal family and earlier migrated families to Bini Kingdom). Secondly, Bini is not on the shore of the Atlantic but Itsekiris and Ìlájes took Prince Ado to Lagos. During the great period of the empire, Bini also did what Ibadan later did by trying to bring the Eastern Yorubas under their influence in alliance with some Yoruba kingdoms that saw Oba of Bini as one of their own. Can will now say because Ibadan, that imposed "Ajeles" on many other Yoruba territories and kingdoms now make everyone in these places Ibadan people and their lands, Ibadanland?

Just wanted to highlight this because a particular Benin workmate of mine whose name I won't mention still said at work TODAY that benins came "from Yoruba", in his exact words: "Bini people na Yoruba people na, abeg wetin be difference sef"

It was I the Yoruba that was even telling the Benin man that Benins didn't come from Yoruba although a large portion of the population might have in the past. I have never experienced Benin-Yoruba attrition in real life. Yes there might be arguments about Obas and Oduduwa and What not, but that's it. The ambience between both groups is verrry cordial. Inter-marriages btw both are not even really seen as inter marriage.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Women Want To Be Men, We Can’t Be Equal – Ooni Of Ife’s Wife / How Madam Efunroye Tinubu Aided Abolishment Of Slave Trade In 1800s / Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.