Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,443 members, 7,812,330 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:46 AM

"You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" (29583 Views)

NASS Landlords: Lawmakers Who Have Spent 20 Years In Senate, House Of Reps / Afenifere Urges Kwara Governor To Join Amotekun / South-West Lawmakers Reject Miyetti Allah’s Request To Join Amotekun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by DexterousOne(m): 11:26am On Mar 03, 2020
OROSUNBOLB:
Lagos state has always been my concern regarding Amotekun project. I have this fear that the state will mess it up with her over accommodating nature and laws.

There are millions of non Yorubas who have spent their entire lives in Lagos,who speak Yoruba as first Language yet they hate Yoruba people with passion and will do anything within their influence to bring the Yoruba nation down. And somebody is tinkering with the idea of recruiting this category of people into amotekun corps !

Yoruba people won't allow Lagos politicians to play politics with their lives; that insensitive clause won't see the light of the day.

What is this one talking about now?
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by justtoodark: 11:40am On Mar 03, 2020
LegendHero:

That law in itself sounds crazy. Why should they recruit someone just based on the fact that they’ve lived 20years in a locality.

So for example, if an herdsman lived in that particular community for 20years, he is entitled to be part of Amotekun too?

Just like the Miyetti Allah leader in Oyo that claimed he lived in Oyo state for several decades and even said he married a Yoruba. After all his utterances and provocations, this kind of law from Lagos means he also qualifies to be part of Amotekun right?

the same is for igbos too....
soo,stop makin senseless noise....
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by omoharry(f): 12:53pm On Mar 03, 2020
LegendHero:

That law in itself sounds crazy. Why should they recruit someone just based on the fact that they’ve lived 20years in a locality.

So for example, if an herdsman lived in that particular community for 20years, he is entitled to be part of Amotekun too?

Just like the Miyetti Allah leader in Oyo that claimed he lived in Oyo state for several decades and even said he married a Yoruba. After all his utterances and provocations, this kind of law from Lagos means he also qualifies to be part of Amotekun right?
This is an oppurtunity for heads men to infilterate into Amotekun.If they want to go by this then only southerners should be taken ..I don't trust Hausa/Fulani residents.
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by Nobody: 1:05pm On Mar 03, 2020
golddare:

Anybody can be spies irrespective of tribes, I think it was well thought through idea.

Too much liberalism. That's what's going to be our undoing in Yorubaland if we aren't careful.

We are afraid of being called ethnicists while others aren't ashamed to show that they consider their own ethnicities first and foremost before others.

How many Southerners have been allowed to join Hisbah Shari'a police in the North?

Amotekun should only allow Yorubas. We can't deceive ourselves, loyalty in Nigeria is based on ethnic lines. It is the truth.

When push comes to shove, who do you think the Fulanis in Amotekun will be loyal to?
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by Nobody: 1:09pm On Mar 03, 2020
orisa37:

What do you mean?

I mean that, that clause in the law will make it possible for Fulanis who have lived for years in Lagos to infiltrate the outfit with their people.

You think just because they have lived in Yorubaland and maybe even married Yorubas will make them loyal to Yoruba over and above their own Fulani kinsmen?

I think not.
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by Nobody: 1:13pm On Mar 03, 2020
WILLuKPquiet:

The same my heart felt the moment I read the headline. This is an outfit of Yorubas for the Yorubas why employs non Yoruba that can speak Yoruba into into it. Soon the Fulani herdsmen that speak Yoruba will join the group and start feeding their ppl with information and secrets of the group.

I wonder if the Law makers have heads at all.

Everyone who wants to join must be made to collect letters from the Kings of their village. By so doing you will employ 100% genuine Yorubas .

Thank you. God bless you jare.
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by Nobody: 1:14pm On Mar 03, 2020
Openbusiness:

Serious thrash. How do you even verify how long an outsider has stayed in your midst. Some Arabs were born in the USA and still didn't stop them from joining Alqaeda 20 yrs after to attack America. Very dumb move by Lagos.

Thank you.
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by Nobody: 1:15pm On Mar 03, 2020
lomprico:

why are you angry? your people are already natural bor spies already.

Try again. Maybe when you're sober.
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by ajl: 1:31pm On Mar 03, 2020
LegendHero:

What else do you all want. The moment you live 20 yrs in a place and speak the local language, then you are part and parcel of the place.
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by luluman: 1:35pm On Mar 03, 2020
FrLukas:
Trash!

That's how you recruit spies into your midst.
I'm with you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by luluman: 1:36pm On Mar 03, 2020
fergie001:

How do you mean?
If it's a yoruba thing it should strictly be yoruba.Will other regions allow yoruba into their system?
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by Nasir123(m): 2:12pm On Mar 03, 2020
0m0nnakoda:
He is entitled on paper let u see what happens in practice.

The constitution forbids discrimination so they need to be wise..
Besides amotekun will have cleaners and cooks .
If they employ and say your job is to cut grass,feed pigs or wash toilet if you don't like it you can resign.

grin grin
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by Injera(f): 2:27pm On Mar 03, 2020
FrLukas:
Trash!

That's how you recruit spies into your midst.
In principle only. Implementation of course will be different
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by Oyinlomobambam(m): 2:59pm On Mar 03, 2020
LegendHero:

Lagos state is playing the best politics ever.

They told them they'll employ them but you won't see any of them in it.

It's called paper politics
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by 0m0nnakoda: 3:19pm On Mar 03, 2020
luluman:
If it's a yoruba thing it should strictly be yoruba.Will other regions allow yoruba into their system?
Lagos has non Yoruba indigenes
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by orisa37: 3:29pm On Mar 03, 2020
FrLukas:

I mean that, that clause in the law will make it possible for Fulanis who have lived for years in Lagos to infiltrate the outfit with their people.

You think just because they have lived in Yorubaland and maybe even married Yorubas will make them loyal to Yoruba over and above their own Fulani kinsmen?

I think not.

It's the Candidate that must be 20 + Language. 10 years is even enough.
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by luluman: 3:34pm On Mar 03, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Amotekun is YORUBA entirely not lagos. So the tribe wins
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by luluman: 3:34pm On Mar 03, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Amotekun is YORUBA entirely not lagos. So the tribe has it.
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by luluman: 3:39pm On Mar 03, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Amotekun is about Yoruba not Indigenes
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by 0m0nnakoda: 3:53pm On Mar 03, 2020
luluman:
Amotekun is about Yoruba not Indigenes
Clearly you are not from Lagos.
This is not a time for childish talk

1 Like

Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by 0m0nnakoda: 3:57pm On Mar 03, 2020
luluman:
Amotekun is YORUBA entirely not lagos. So the tribe has it.
Foolish talk.

This is about the legal framework.

So the discussion is for rational people not emotional rants.

There are non Yoruba communities in Lagos state e,g Badagry.
So will Amotekun import Yoruba people from Kwara or Kogi to operate in Badagry
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by EvensShehab: 4:10pm On Mar 03, 2020
[s]
FrLukas:

Too much liberalism. That's what's going to be our undoing in Yorubaland if we aren't careful.

We are afraid of being called ethnicists while others aren't ashamed to show that they consider their own ethnicities first and foremost before others.

How many Southerners have been allowed to join Hisbah Shari'a police in the North?

Amotekun should only allow Yorubas. We can't deceive ourselves, loyalty in Nigeria is based on ethnic lines. It is the truth.

When push comes to shove, who do you think the Fulanis in Amotekun will be loyal to?
[/s]
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by ykalhaji(m): 4:16pm On Mar 03, 2020
Jesus... Majority of Nigerians lack critical reasoning. The bill says indegenes or non-indegenes with 20 years residency and strong language requirement. In Lagos, what language are we talking about here ? Yoruba, Awori, Egun or Ijebu because, if it were for only indegenes only Awori, Ijebu-ikorodu and Egun people will be members, so even for the general population of Yoruba's in Lagos who are not indegenes to become members, there needs to be this caveat in the law

Now as per non-Yorubas becoming members, Lagos is a cosmopolitan state, you have areas were majority of the populations are not Yoruba, so who protects that area ? I keep telling all my fellow Yoruba secessionists, we in Lagos will never allow for a breakup of Nigeria. Being a Lagos indegene is by lineage but being a Lagosian is simply by mentality, we are like New York, London, Toronto. E.g Dangote, Otedola, Adenuga might have been born in other parts of Nigeria but they are Lagosians. Dangote will tell you he is more a Lagosian than anything (even Kano), he can't live anywhere but In Lagos, so are the hundreds of property owners and 2nd born generations of non-Yorubas and even Yorubas born in Lagos.

Sattelite town, Festac that area, will the members be only Yoruba ? in areas where the population of non-yorubas are enough to elect non-yorubas as house of rep and assembly members?

Please guys make we use our medulla oblongata abeg.

By the way I am an Awori, omo ni mushin an jin no, omo ni mushin ano ko oru. So you can't get more omo onile than me.

1 Like

Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by babaireti(m): 4:23pm On Mar 03, 2020
ChoCho54:
We are here.

I am going to enroll.

I can speak and write the language better than most indegenous people. I know the faweli and the konsonati. I know Ami ohun and the Yoruba amu t"orun wa names.

I read Alawiye and Efusetan Aniwura. I am eminently qualified!
You are indeed a potential mole,Omo Oodua,beware
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by ola6: 4:29pm On Mar 03, 2020
ykalhaji:
Jesus... Majority of Nigerians lack critical reasoning. The bill says indegenes or non-indegenes with 20 years residency and strong language requirement. In Lagos, what language are we talking about here ? Yoruba, Awori, Egun or Ijebu because, if it were for only indegenes only Awori, Ijebu-ikorodu and Egun people will be members, so even for the general population of Yoruba's in Lagos who are not indegenes to become members, there needs to be this caveat in the law

Now as per non-Yorubas becoming members, Lagos is a cosmopolitan state, you have areas were majority of the populations are not Yoruba, so who protects that area ? I keep telling all my fellow Yoruba secessionists, we in Lagos will never allow for a breakup of Nigeria. Being a Lagos indegene is by lineage but being a Lagosian is simply by mentality, we are like New York, London, Toronto. E.g Dangote, Otedola, Adenuga might have been born in other parts of Nigeria but they are Lagosians. Dangote will tell you he is more a Lagosian than anything (even Kano), he can't live anywhere but In Lagos, so are the hundreds of property owners and 2nd born generations of non-Yorubas and even Yorubas born in Lagos.

Sattelite town, Festac that area, will the members be only Yoruba ? in areas where the population of non-yorubas are enough to elect non-yorubas as house of rep and assembly members?

Please guys make we use our medulla oblongata abeg.

By the way I am an Awori, omo ni mushin an jin no, omo ni mushin ano ko oru. So you can't get more omo onile than me.

Oga, I'm also a Lagos indigene and those places will be guarded by YORUBAS ONLY.

Take that to the bank.

1 Like

Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by Nobody: 4:48pm On Mar 03, 2020
Injera:

In principle only. Implementation of course will be different

I sure hope so.

1 Like

Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by Nobody: 4:49pm On Mar 03, 2020
orisa37:

It's the Candidate that must be 20 + Language. 10 years is even enough.

There are Fulani who have lived for 20 years in Yorubaland and speak perfect Yoruba.
Re: "You Can Join Amotekun If You Have Spent 20 Years In Lagos & Speak Yoruba" by ykalhaji(m): 4:51pm On Mar 03, 2020
ola6:

Oga, I'm also a Lagos indigene and those places will be guarded by YORUBAS ONLY.

Take that to the bank.

Of course, you don see where omo una dey do security before? But they will be the one hiring the Yoruba people that will guard them in those areas, so what noise are you making

See, what is the fear ? Lagos is way more worried about armed robbery, assault, criminal activities, which are equal opportunity crime for both Yorubas and non-Yorubas than herdsman terrorists and kidnapping, which is what the hinterland states are worried about and the worry about the north taking over the southwest is more a religious thing and if that is the case then you should worry more about Yoruba muslims but you can't because they are us, your brothers, wives, sisters in-laws, so what are you gonna do about them Nothing.

Also Amotekun is just a PR stunt, basically what we will have are state centers of intelligence, policing and investigation, interconnected by geographical location which will be supervised by the federal unit (Nigerian Police), basically State police without force through the back door, Lagos will also partner with the south south, middle belt, northern and eastern states for better data collation as time passes.

I expect other states to follow in today's footsteps and pass state policing laws based on their states coloration. Lagos passed it's own laws based on our coloration we have close to 70% non independent living in Lagos, over 35% non-Yorubas and our main concern is economic growth and you only get that by providing opportunities and harmonious living conditions for everyone. That reduces crime more than any policing activity.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria Close To Becoming A Failed State, Says Financial Times Of London / Melaye To Buhari: If Politicians Are Responsible For Killings, Why Ranching? / Before I Fled Boko Haram’s Den, Many Chibok Schoolgirls Were Pregnant – Escapee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.