Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,896 members, 7,828,160 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. (6282 Views)

Ask Me Any Questions: Am Touring Benue & Taraba States / Profitability Of Pig Farming In Nigeria / Can 750k Be Able To Start Pig Farming ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by wengerman: 5:11am On Mar 07, 2020
PigBarn:

They to can be fatten to slaughter in 6months, weighing 100kg no local breed will give you this.
Modern farming is all about farming right and smart. We plant genetic improved seedlings so do we rear genetic improved animals to maximize profit.

The Nigeria pork industry is so underated , Nigerian still imports pork from South Africa at this time, because most pig farmers lack the proper knowledge of the pork market.
Nigeria is meant to be the highest exporter of pork to the world given the abundance of varieties for protein and carbohydrate for the formulation of pig feeds.
The pork industry is a huge one.
it is not viable in Lagos to buy exotic breed to fatten.in oke-aro,gberigbe and the pig farm where I operate in small scale ,live weight is sold at an average of 460 per kg which means 100kg is 46k ,then how can u fatten profitably when u buy exotic breed weaners or grower for such high price

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by Sunday66: 6:45am On Mar 07, 2020
I will coming to oke aro today or tomorrow, pls who can I meet to show me around. I'm coming to learn one or two things.thanks
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by zeestone99(m): 9:07am On Mar 07, 2020
wengerman:
it is not viable in Lagos to buy exotic breed to fatten.in oke-aro,gberigbe and the pig farm where I operate in small scale ,live weight is sold at an average of 460 per kg which means 100kg is 46k ,then how can u fatten profitably when u buy exotic breed weaners or grower for such high price

Exactly . now let's Talk about food pls. Pig barn you said 300k can feed 50 pigs to market weight. Pls enlighten us on how to achieve that. It would be really helpful thanks.

cc pigbarn
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 9:29am On Mar 07, 2020
wengerman:

You buy exotic breeds to breed and increase you sow capacity.
Advantages
The farrow large litter of piglets averaging 10-16 piglets
The have less or no fat in there meat
The have high food conversion rate, when feed 2.5 -3kg a day per pig it gains 1kg daily
The have faster growth rate for fattening.

When going for this breeds u don't buy to fatten immediately for profit. You buy to multiple, grow and have enough breeding sows so that each month possible you have 5 sow giving birth to new piglets. This breed enhance better production.

I will advice you go for this breeds if you intend to farm commercially and not backyard farming

2 Likes

Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by wengerman: 11:53am On Mar 07, 2020
PigBarn:

You buy exotic breeds to breed and increase you sow capacity.
Advantages
The farrow large litter of piglets averaging 10-16 piglets
The have less or no fat in there meat
The have high food conversion rate, when feed 2.5 -3kg a day per pig it gains 1kg daily
The have faster growth rate for fattening.

When going for this breeds u don't buy to fatten immediately for profit. You buy to multiple, grow and have enough breeding sows so that each month possible you have 5 sow giving birth to new piglets. This breed enhance better production.

I will advice you go for this breeds if you intend to farm commercially and not backyard farming
great our professor.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by bluice25: 4:57pm On Mar 07, 2020
Please your number o
PigBarn:

They to can be fatten to slaughter in 6months, weighing 100kg no local breed will give you this.
Modern farming is all about farming right and smart. We plant genetic improved seedlings so do we rear genetic improved animals to maximize profit.

The Nigeria pork industry is so underated , Nigerian still imports pork from South Africa at this time, because most pig farmers lack the proper knowledge of the pork market.
Nigeria is meant to be the highest exporter of pork to the world given the abundance of varieties for protein and carbohydrate for the formulation of pig feeds.
The pork industry is a huge one.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by bluice25: 5:00pm On Mar 07, 2020
Please WhatsApp me on 09072089800
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by gbotman1: 8:08pm On Mar 07, 2020
If you are interested in buying piglets or pigs of any size, Holla at me 09024534478. Whatsapp only.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by Nobody: 10:01pm On Mar 07, 2020
Do you have any idea of camborough breed?
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 10:12pm On Mar 07, 2020
EMMAACHILE:
Do you have any idea of camborough breed?

Camborough breeds are very good farms breeds and farrow many piglets
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by sweden7: 8:44am On Mar 08, 2020
Hello. Where is your pigbarn located?
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 9:21am On Mar 08, 2020
Contact me on my WhatsApp pls for further enquiries please.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by aisolae: 4:36pm On Apr 07, 2020
you didn't sent me a mail, did you? i didn't receive anything from your end.

PigBarn:

sorry for the late reply, am actively involved at the farm. Nairaland is not an instant messenger so we might all experience this from both sides.

Building a pig pen for 100 Pigs, it all depends on your budget and the materials you intend to use. we have concrete pens and wooden pens. concrete pens are more durable but expensive and requires 24 hrs water supply for bio-security, a septic tank to store all waste product to ensure minimal odour pollution.
wooden pens are less expensive but not good for a scale of 100 pigs, pigs are so destructive, 100 growers will destroy a wooden pen in less than 6 months talk more of full grown pigs (finishers) this will require constant repairs that will amount to the budget of a concrete pen.

The cost of building a pig pen depends on the type of pen you intend to build and your vision for it (breeding or slaughter). 50 sows (female pigs) for breeding can produce a minimal of 500-1500 piglets each year, this has to be taking to consideration.

will contact you privately to know your specifications and type of facilities you intend to you e.g nipple drinkers, farrowing creates, feeders etc.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by Offorcs(m): 5:10pm On Apr 07, 2020
Sir I intend going into commercial pig farming but I don't have the knowledge at all. What is your advice for me? What do I do first? How can I get the knowledge that I need to raise at least 10 sows for breeding for a start? Can I get them here on nairaland?
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by freshpzy1(m): 8:14am On Apr 08, 2020
Pls OP...........& others with helpful contribution

Can some1 just help us with cost of rearing 50 piglet to maturity profitably

Pls let the cost include;

# cost of buying tge piglet
# cost of renting a pen for tgeir housing
# cost of feeding them for the required months

1 Like

Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by wengerman: 3:14pm On Apr 09, 2020
Offorcs:
Sir I intend going into commercial pig farming but I don't have the knowledge at all. What is your advice for me? What do I do first? How can I get the knowledge that I need to raise at least 10 sows for breeding for a start? Can I get them here on nairaland?
you will need to buy and invest in knowledge. if ready contact me
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by amadasunfarm(m): 6:21am On Apr 13, 2020
Pls I will appreciate if you can could share will me the cost of roofing my pig pen and the pig house in Benin city, The wood ,zinc and the labor cost thank you

Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by wolffire(m): 5:51pm On Apr 13, 2020
Good evening sir. How long does it take weaners of two months old to reach market size sir. If our local breed or mixture breeds are given quality feeds as you have highlighted(soya, maize), how many months will it take to feed them to market weight of about 70 to 80kg sir. Thanks
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 11:56pm On Apr 17, 2020
wolffire:
Good evening sir. How long does it take weaners of two months old to reach market size sir. If our local breed or mixture breeds are given quality feeds as you have highlighted(soya, maize), how many months will it take to feed them to market weight of about 70 to 80kg sir. Thanks

So sorry for the late reply here, been so busy trying to stock feed for the pigs because of the lockdown.

On local breeds of weaners, attaining market weight of 70-80kg it could take almost 9 months and above. Local breeds are very slow in gaining weight cos of the low feed conversation rate in them. The only way to attain market weight faster with local breeds is by castration of the male piglets but even at this the pork quality is usually low cos of the excess fat in them.
A crossbreed will do better in. Weight at 7 months depending on the breeds crossed and how pure they are.
Note:
Local breeds are a waste of time for commercial pig farming.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 12:01am On Apr 18, 2020
amadasunfarm:
Pls I will appreciate if you can could share will me the cost of roofing my pig pen and the pig house in Benin city, The wood ,zinc and the labor cost thank you

Sorry for the late reply.
On roofing. Of your pig pen and pig house in Benin city , it depends on the cost of labour and materials in ur location also the style of roofing u intend to go with.

At my location a budget of 600-800k will do this including workmanship
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 12:11am On Apr 18, 2020
Offorcs:

So sorry for the late reply.
My advice will be first get a structure where ur pigs will be kept. It will be nice if you start small and grow with the right numbers of pigs u can afford to feed.
Raising 10 sows will require feeds of about 8500kg a year , feeding each 2kg a day minimum.
Yes you can get them on nairaland depending on ur location.
Pig farming is lucrative if you farm the right breeds of pigs.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by Osinanwatabulu1: 2:02pm On Apr 18, 2020
I constructed pen of 5rooms(though have plans to add more by january)
Am a novice in pig farming but have been reading endlessly about it,
i want to start with 10 weaners for reproduction/breeding. Please am so confused
about the best breed to start with.

please advice me on the breed, the number to start with as a novice, feeding
budget, medication and expansion plan(when they start giving birth).
However, my target is to have at least 100pigs ready for market by mid next year

Another thing bordering me is the fact that i will not be always present in the farm
Please what can i do?
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 4:56pm On Apr 19, 2020
zeestone99:

Exactly . now let's Talk about food pls. Pig barn you said 300k can feed 50 pigs to market weight. Pls enlighten us on how to achieve that. It would be really helpful thanks.

cc pigbarn

Feeding 50 pigs to market weight with 300k is attainable by using soyabeans, dried cassava and rice bran.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 5:13pm On Apr 19, 2020
Osinanwatabulu1:
I constructed pen of 5rooms(though have plans to add more by january)
Am a novice in pig farming but have been reading endlessly about it,
i want to start with 10 weaners for reproduction/breeding. Please am so confused
about the best breed to start with.

please advice me on the breed, the number to start with as a novice, feeding
budget, medication and expansion plan(when they start giving birth).
However, my target is to have at least 100pigs ready for market by mid next year

Another thing bordering me is the fact that i will not be always present in the farm
Please what can i do?

For the breeds to start with I will advice u go with the landrace or largewhite 100% pure breeds, cos the farrow more. This will help u grow faster.

I will suggest you start with 7 sows 2 boars.
On your presence on you farm, I will suggest u get capable hands whom have love for animals to work on your farm.

On an average for feeding I will suggest u feed pigs of about 4 months and above 2kg of feed a day, sows breast feeding 2.5-3kg of feed daily.

A pure breed of large white or landrace is marketable at 5 months and above weighing 80kg and above if feed appropriately.

For medication, if you practice basic biosecurity guide lines on your farm you won't be needing much medication on ur farm except when given iron injection to new born piglet, multivitamins,anti biotics and deworming injections all this won't cost up to 20k a year
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by Osinanwatabulu1: 11:26pm On Apr 19, 2020
PigBarn:

For the breeds to start with I will advice u go with the landrace or largewhite 100% pure breeds, cos the farrow more. This will help u grow faster.

I will suggest you start with 7 sows 2 boars.
On your presence on you farm, I will suggest u get capable hands whom have love for animals to work on your farm.

On an average for feeding I will suggest u feed pigs of about 4 months and above 2kg of feed a day, sows breast feeding 2.5-3kg of feed daily.

A pure breed of large white or landrace is marketable at 5 months and above weighing 80kg and above if feed appropriately.

For medication, if you practice basic biosecurity guide lines on your farm you won't be needing much medication on ur farm except when given iron injection to new born piglet, multivitamins,anti biotics and deworming injections all this won't cost up to 20k a year

Thanks so much. After the lockdown, i will commence immediately.
Please may i suggest that you create a whatsapp group for this purpose
If it''s already in existance, please do add me up without any permission sir

1 Like

Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 9:53am On May 12, 2020
Keep the questions coming.
For as low as 3k u can get an eBook that will teach you all you need to know about pig farming( structural, feeding, etc)
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by Bato93: 3:49am On May 13, 2020
I wanted to go into piggery for commercial purpose but am scared with current economic realities if there will be ready market for it. Expert should kindly advice. Thanks.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 10:36am On May 13, 2020
Bato93:
I wanted to go into piggery for commercial purpose but am scared with current economic realities if there will be ready market for it. Expert should kindly advice. Thanks.

This is the right time to do it , currently in Nigeria the demand for pork is higher than its supply.
I can assure u after all this is gone there is going to be a shortage of lot of agricultural products. Most farmers are selling off there products currently and most haven't restocked as they normally do. This will lead to a huge shortage when all this is gone, I see profitable days ahead
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by peterbello(m): 12:41pm On May 16, 2020
PigBarn:

This is the right time to do it , currently in Nigeria the demand for pork is higher than its supply.
I can assure u after all this is gone there is going to be a shortage of lot of agricultural products. Most farmers are selling off there products currently and most haven't restocked as they normally do. This will lead to a huge shortage when all this is gone, I see profitable days ahead

Please, where can I get exotic breed weaners? Male and female. I am in Niger state.
Re: Ask Pigbarn Any Questions About PIG FARMING. by PigBarn: 8:56pm On May 16, 2020
peterbello:

Please, where can I get exotic breed weaners? Male and female. I am in Niger state.

I currently have varieties of exotic breeds (landrace, largewhite and durocs)
U can contact me on WhatsApp for more enquires 0.7.0: 6569:2849

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Come In If You Need Bags Of Garri Supplied To You In PH. / Groundnut Oil making Machine For Sale / Join Our Snail Farm Training Whatsapp Group Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.