Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,204 members, 7,829,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife (13150 Views)

Initiating Sex: Who's Job Is It Really? / Is Sending My Wife To House Help Job The Best Option? / 21 Questions To Ask The Man Or Woman You Want To Marry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by lanredo(m): 8:52pm On Dec 20, 2010
Please who do the laundry in the home, the husband or the wife, I went to my friend's house last weekend I met him and his wife over a serious argument. He lament His wife have stopped washing his clothes long time ago after the birth of her second baby.
so whose job in the home to take care of the daddy's clothes, is it the daddy or mummy? your response is welcome. I will copy your comments and mail them to the husband and wife
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by Nobody: 9:31pm On Dec 20, 2010
'/'/

2 Likes

Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by snthesis(m): 9:56pm On Dec 20, 2010
Was d bride price free? All d prostration nko?

Abeg, WOMAN go and wash d clothes sharp! sharp!

2 Likes

Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by PUMBA1(f): 10:02pm On Dec 20, 2010
This should have been discussed, like Chaircover said, earlier and if not,, At the moment, I, personally, don't see anything wrong if the husband is UNDERSTANDING ENOUGH to know that things could change. He should be able to assist her in that. It doesn't have to be one person doing the laundry all the time! Cheese!
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by invisible2(m): 10:08pm On Dec 20, 2010
Its the wifes work, with serious help from the husband who should make sure ther is enough
Water, soaps, space to spread clothes, all enabling environment, plus a washing machine if they can afford it. The man should just concern himself with making sure there is enough money to make the woman's works easy. A washman should not be ruled out, as the family grows in number and the woman is more occupied with other chores.
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by no1madman(m): 11:30pm On Dec 20, 2010
snthesis:

Was d bride price free? All d prostration nko?

Abeg, WOMAN go and wash d clothes sharp! sharp!
correct! there's nothin 2 discuss . . .bullshit!

1 Like

Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by lanredo(m): 11:41pm On Dec 20, 2010
Thank u all I'm greatful I've mail ur response to the wife and the husband my friend the husband has replied, his wife has replied too, please read there response "good I like invisible's comment very understanding. U did not give them insight of the situation at home she yell to me,let them know of lack of space to spread the clothes etc. Some little hardship in the home now" Please I still need ur opinion my friend is saying he will get another woman who will takecare of his clothes he lament he is always sad whenever is doing the washing himself at 42yrs old
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by martho(m): 12:02am On Dec 21, 2010
^^I can't understand y d wife cannot do the laundry
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by martho(m): 12:03am On Dec 21, 2010
I thought is a normal thing for a wife 2 do d laundry.
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by mutter(f): 12:35am On Dec 21, 2010
I do not think it is the duty of a wife to wash the cloths.
I mean washing cloths is not easy, especially if she has to wash the kids cloths as well.
BUT, if a woman loves a man she would do it, at least whenever she can.
The most important thing is that the man will realise that she is trying her best.
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by invisible2(m): 12:43am On Dec 21, 2010
mutter:

I mean washing cloths is not easy, especially if she has to wash the kids cloths as well.
The most important thing is that the man will realise that she is trying her best.
Sorry to digress a bit, whos duty is it to make money and provide, protect the family in general?
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by Moyola(f): 12:45am On Dec 21, 2010
Unlezz I offer 2 help. . . Man should c to dhat himself, dryclean, hire sum1 etc so long i dont c derry boxaz hidden unda d sofaa tongue
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by Romeo4real(m): 12:47am On Dec 21, 2010
If it hasnt been specifically defined, it cannot be assumed to be the wife's role.
However, as part of the role of a wife is that of Homemaker, and that includes looking after her husband, then doing his could be seen as part of that role.
It could be that with 2 kids to look after now, she simply does not have the time; or she is protesting about something and decide NOT to do the husband's laundry anymore. The answer lies somewhere between the two.
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by tayoast(m): 12:51am On Dec 21, 2010
It's d wife's 'role'.

Not necessarily washing the clothes herself. She can always hire sm1 2 do dt
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by invisible2(m): 12:55am On Dec 21, 2010
Moyola:

Unlezz I offer 2 help. . . Man should c to dhat himself, dryclean, hire sum1 etc so long i dont c derry boxaz hidden unda d sofaa tongue

Good answer, and unless he offer to to take you shopping, treat you so nice in front of ya friends, you should wait for him to make up his mind if he should, and dont forget to ask for the price of a vibrator while at it. ( I wan find trouble today)
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by martho(m): 12:57am On Dec 21, 2010
mutter:

Do u find it difficult washing ur children stuffs?
DON'T u have machine?
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by Moyola(f): 1:17am On Dec 21, 2010
invisible!:

Good answer, and unless he offer to to take you shopping, treat you so nice in front of ya friends, you should wait for him to make up his mind if he should, and dont forget to ask for the price of a vibrator while at it. ( I wan find trouble today)

. . .kuz ai dont do hiz launsh*t, he wudnt do all dat he ought to?! hehe! he wanz 2 smell pepper! angry
n az 4 getn vyb. i need not. . .kuz he'd 'kum kallin'! tongue
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by Moyola(f): 1:25am On Dec 21, 2010
lanredo:

Thank u all I'm greatful I've mail your response to the wife and the husband my friend the husband has replied, his wife has replied too, please read there response "good I like invisible's comment very understanding. U did not give them insight of the situation at home she yell to me,let them know of lack of space to spread the clothes etc. Some little hardship in the home now" Please I still need your opinion my friend is saying he will get another woman who will takecare of his clothes he lament he is always sad whenever is doing the washing himself at 42yrs old

hehe! wot wud it cost him to find anova meanz of airin hiz clothes? tongue
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by dayokanu(m): 4:09am On Dec 21, 2010
Na wa for Naija women o.

If dem leave una You go push plane start.

Wouldnt it be a thing of shame to see your husband washing clothes while you dey there?

He can as well cook his meals, and satisfy his sexual desire somehow
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by Outstrip(f): 4:14am On Dec 21, 2010
I cannot even imagine this being a serious issue. We both do the laundry in our home. If they do not have a washing machine and they cannot afford a washerman then I am sorry but the man needs to help out too. Hand washing clothes under the hot sun is not easy. As far as I am concerned it should be put right up there with farming.
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by mutter(f): 8:20am On Dec 21, 2010
I think some men have to be more considerate.
Invisible and Matho, women also do things that are not necessarily the duty of a woman.
Since you ask how I go about it, then I can tell you that I do have a washing machine and I have forbidden my husband to use it because he mixes colors and washes wool with cotton and that is a disaster.
I used to iron his cloths but as the children increased and my duties increased I stopped. He did not have any objections. Sometimes I help him. However I also expect my grown up kids to overtake some of my functions.
Now obviously this man has not got a machine and you need to understand that cloths are difficult to wash. Try to be humane. How much work do you expect a woman to do? I mean it would be okay if she washes his intimate wears and the other cloths are washed by someone else.
The fact that he is washing them himself means that he does not want to pay to have it done Is he not as the provider to provide the money for washing the cloths? Is he not the one wanting in his duties?
Next you might also say the woman should carry the goods from the market home on her head, because the man can`t pay for transportation.
When lack of funds results in more work, is it not only fair that both have to bear the burden?
This has nothing to do with being a man!!!

3 Likes

Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by ifyalways(f): 8:28am On Dec 21, 2010
lanredo:

Please who do the laundry in the home, the husband or the wife, I went to my friend's house last weekend I met him and his wife over a serious argument. He lament His wife have stopped washing his clothes long time ago after the birth of her second baby.
so whose job in the home to take care of the daddy's clothes, is it the daddy or mummy? your response is welcome. I will copy your comments and mail them to the husband and wife
o ma se o.Time he wasted on lamenting he could have used it to do the laundry.
Reading through some of the replies from the men makes me cringe.women don suffer shocked
@Topic,laundry is one of the many roles of a wife but it does not make a husband less a man If he helps out once-in-a while.

1 Like

Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by mutter(f): 8:37am On Dec 21, 2010
dayokanu you cannot compare families, different circumstances apply.
It would indeed be a shame to see my husband washing cloths because I have bigger kids. So there is no reason why my husband has to do anything.
He does not even have to help because my kids can do everything.
But do not forget that I said that if the woman loved her husband she would do the cloths for him.
There are so many things I do for my husband as an expression of love, respect and appreciation and not because I have categorised it as my duty as a woman.
Even those things I do because I feel they are my duty, I do them differently because of the feeling I have for him. I do them with my heart wanting to please him and not just to perform my obligation.
Sometimes when things go wrong, two parties are to blame. Maybe this man too has been lacking in his role and the woman has no regard for him, so she finds it difficult to do these acts of love, sticking only to mere obligations.
As I mentioned you cannot compare families.

1 Like

Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by dominique(f): 10:17am On Dec 21, 2010
Some men can be so insensitive and inconsiderate. Domestic duties alone is not easy now couple it with taking care of two small children and doing husband's laundry, haba! thats abit too much and the husband of all people should understand that she can't carry all the burden of chores alone. There's nothing emmasculaing about a man doing his own laundry, nobody will fault him or make jest of him for doing that. But if he continues to give the poor woman trouble for not adding his laundry to her mounting responsibilities, he may get percieved as a wicked, useless and/or irresponsible man.

On a lighter note, thank goodness i'm married to a workaholic/perfectionist who doesn't let me go near his laundry cos he feels i would never wash then as clean as he would grin

1 Like

Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by Nobody: 10:29am On Dec 21, 2010
'/'/
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by dayokanu(m): 2:48pm On Dec 21, 2010
Mutter, I believe there are some roles fit for men and roles for women.

It would likewise be a shame on the husband to be home and the wife trying to fix her car, electrical gadgets, mow the lawn or carry heavy loads.

If you say the husband should do his laundry, then the wife should also fix her car whenever it needs to be done.

Each should do their own thing, Husband cook his food, wife cook hers maybe that would satisfy the women of nowadays who see every female chore in the house as being treated as a slave.

We have seen different topics on here, Husband should help with cooking, help with laundry, help with kids, Is there anything left that the woman can do alone?
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by omamokta: 4:12pm On Dec 21, 2010
Clash of the sexes. lol
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by freshera: 4:23pm On Dec 21, 2010
It can be anybody's job. Anybody who has the power to do it at that moment. As an African I was brought up to belive it is wrong for a  married man to wash his own clothes but later in life I saw and heard of Nigerian men  who did their laundry and ironing exclusively by themselves, some to help their wives some were just being perfectionists.

Seriously women are not some superbeings. Is it not the same husband who will complain that his wife is not being wild and tireless  in bed and yet he wants her to wash his clothes, her clothes, the home's fabrics like curtains and bed sheets and the children's clothes which are always REALLY dirtyHow often are manly jobs e.g. car fiixng, etc required compared to everyday tasks like laundry, etc.?

Please let the woman do it but with much help (if and when it is needed)  from the man. That's what all the plenty food he eats is meant for. A vibrant sex life is better than a perfectly neat home or so I heard.

2 Likes

Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by invisible2(m): 4:26pm On Dec 21, 2010
dayokanu:

Mutter, I believe there are some roles fit for men and roles for women.

It would likewise be a shame on the husband to be home and the wife trying to fix her car, electrical gadgets, mow the lawn or carry heavy loads.

If you say the husband should do his laundry, then the wife should also fix her car whenever it needs to be done.

Each should do their own thing, Husband cook his food, wife cook hers maybe that would satisfy the women of nowadays who see every female chore in the house as being treated as a slave.

We have seen different topics on here, Husband should help with cooking, help with laundry, help with kids, Is there anything left that the woman can do alone?

Eggzactly!
Men are being pushed to the wall with what used to be non issues in the past. Women now want to contest every chore and see how they can manipulate the men to succumb and do them.
I cannot think of men leaving their leadership roles in the house to do 'little' work instead of making more money and providing succour to the whole family. Duties of the man;
Pay the house rent or build a house (just provide them with good shelter)
make sure there is enough water (sink a borehole or pay for tanker or fetch water on your head) depending on your level.
Pay the school fees of everybody.
Provide feeding money, also other house running costs.

The rest of the chores are women duties, washing plates, clothes, bathing the kids and cleaning the house. (if the hose is big, the man should pay for helpers)
Then the woman can use the rest of the time to watch home movies while the man sweat like a he- goat in the workplace.
And lest I forget, the man gets to work hard at night to make the woman happy between the sheets.
We are being too fair, ladies please praise your man.
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by boy1(m): 5:02pm On Dec 21, 2010
r
Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by Outstrip(f): 5:07pm On Dec 21, 2010
You Nigerian men should keep fooling yourselves. Quite honestly it is disgusting to me that anybody can say it is okay for a woman they respect and adore to have to hand wash clothes all by herself because you feel "it is not a man's job". Hand washing the clothes for the whole family is a whole day affair. I am sure the man still expects his lunch and everything else just like it was a normal day. How can a woman even respect such a man. A man that has a lawn to mow can obviously afford a washing machine so you have it all wrong with your analogy. Also I can bet money on it that a man that thinks his wife alone should sit under the hot sun and wash his dirty clothes all day  will have no problem with her also carrying very heavy things while he watches.

Respect is a huge part of love and that is why 99% of Nigerian women just tolerate their husbands. They might never tell the man that he is a nuisance but that is exactly what many of them are. In marriage we tend to take each other for granted but there is a big difference between taking someone for granted and just being plain abusive.

Listen to invisible. You call it "little work" in reference to what the woman should traditionally do in the home. You might not know it so I will tell you. You are an abuser. When you take what you expect that a woman should do is "little" compared to what you do. Not only are you a bad partner I don't see you even making a good boss. You do not know the first thing about what being a leader is. You are the exact reason why Nigeria is the way it is. People running around playing "oga". I am not calling you an abuser to make you mad. I am telling you so you can change your ways.

When you decide that the only thing you are good for is providing money then you have basically reduced yourself. That is not all it takes. Anybody can make money including the wife that you think is only good for "little work". This is why when a lot of you lose your jobs or are not financially capable you fall apart. You never learned to be a team player. In situations like this when the man does not have the means to provide financially and he runs to NR to say how his wife treats him differently now everybody wonders why. Well this is why. You have to make yourself much more than just someone who provides money because even the beggar in the street begs to provide for his family. It does not make you special.

If it is work that you will not do then don't expect her to do it. If it is work that you will not do but she does it with joy then you should be appreciative of it. For example don't think of it as what a "smaller person" will do. You ain't Poo

8 Likes

Re: Washing Husband Clothes! Who's Job The Man Or His Wife by no1madman(m): 5:16pm On Dec 21, 2010
Real women no dey argue about things like household chores. .
Men should do some houseworks too sometimes. (voluntarily)
personally,i love cleaning. . . .i'd 4ver clean.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Happy Valentine From Me To All / Living With Extended Family - Advice Badly Needed! / Don't Acquire Properties In Your Husband's Name, Nigerian Lady Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.