Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,741 members, 7,820,549 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:00 PM

Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group (31298 Views)

Resign Or Be Sacked From INEC – Ozekhome Warns Amina Zakari / INCREDIBLE news from CNN!!! Can This Happen In NIGERIA? / Another Brilliant Piece On Achebe From CNN Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by hbrednic: 4:39pm On Jun 12, 2007
jeff is guilty of misconduct of his duties.
he violated all the rules of investigative journalism
he has for years aided the imperialist propanda mercinaries in fabricating stories agaist nigeria
i found him giulty of refering to a part of nigeria as the hearth of darkness.
stories should be told as it is , without adding salt and peper

i am hereby declaring MR KOINANGE PERSONA NON GRATA IN NIGERIA.

a lesson to other racist journalists out- there
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by tEsLim(m): 9:37pm On Jun 12, 2007
Jeff woulda played safe by publishing more stories about his %100 poverty stricken Kenya were he came from, than bad mouthing us. I dont support the motherfather! Jeff sucks!

By the way it cost millions to get on Oprah at times.
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by obong(m): 9:56pm On Jun 12, 2007
Enlighten me!Must have missed the countless reports of kidnappings for ransom in the West by militant groups.

are you aware of the separatist movements in both spain and britain that have festered for years? yet these places are always presented as safe havens and romantic spots. they isolate the problem and present a clean view to the world. in fairness the same should apply to nigeria. the ND problem is in small pockets of the ND, and frankly it is not as dangerous as the IRA in britain or the Bath (spelling?) in spain that bomb innocent citizens. as least the ND target specific groups and can be predictable

this nonsense about making nigeria out to the be the heart of darkness is clearly racist and betrays their motives. the sad part is many of the posters on this site are so ignorant and uneducated that they can't even see that very clear message
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by uyai(f): 10:33pm On Jun 12, 2007
Obong please tell them!
Only the enlighten ones can see what the Western media is trying to do to nigeria and Africa as a whole.
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by MILITIA(f): 11:14pm On Jun 12, 2007
Oh Please!  What has the western world done to "us" and Africa that we haven't done worse to ourselves? cry  Please get real! At least you can find romantic spots in Britain and Spain.  Where do you find that in Nigeria without mosquitos chewing off your arses?  After 7PM everyone is indoors with armed robbers and "witches" parading the friendly highways and skies! grin
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by Iman3(m): 2:10am On Jun 13, 2007
obong:

are you aware of the separatist movements in both spain and britain that have festered for years? yet these places are always presented as safe havens and romantic spots. they isolate the problem and present a clean view to the world. in fairness the same should apply to nigeria. t[b]he ND problem is in small pockets of the ND, and frankly it is not as dangerous as the IRA in britain or the Bath (spelling?) in spain that bomb innocent citizens[/b]. as least the ND target specific groups and can be predictable

There are some comments that one encounters in life that can sap one's energy to respond.Faced with brazen ignorance,one cannot find the words.
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by debosky(m): 2:12am On Jun 13, 2007
I-man I agree, some people just take their perverse logic way too far. I tire sad
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by obong(m): 2:13am On Jun 13, 2007
uyai, dont mind them. some posters on this site want to dismiss nigeria but yet they can't stay away from it. if they hate it so much they should leave it for those that love it instead of running it down.

fact is nigeria is like many other countries have separatist amongst them. jeff didnt simply show the militants, but the most damning thing he did on his report was stated that the nigerian army was not even aware of the hostages being held by these guys. that MEND had 24 filipinos hostages and the fed gov didn't even know. it was a major insult. and proven to be false.
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by obong(m): 2:15am On Jun 13, 2007
There are some comments that one encounters in life that can sap one's energy to respond.Faced with brazen ignorance,one cannot find the words.

you have no words because you cannot disprove anything i have stated. are there not seperatist movements in spain and britain? and are these groups not violent?
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by debosky(m): 2:16am On Jun 13, 2007
dude quit it, to even compare the violence level in those countries to the ND is simply unreasonable. it cannot be defended in anyones imagination except yours
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by obong(m): 2:29am On Jun 13, 2007
dude quit it, to even compare the violence level in those countries to the ND is simply unreasonable. it cannot be defended in anyones imagination except yours

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_Provisional_IRA_Actions#2000s

http://www.onwar.com/aced/data/sierra/spain1968.htm

these are links to the amount of people killed by both movements in both spain and britain, you stupid shit. now read them and let me know which separatist group is more violent.

this is a link to MEND and their activities.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movement_for_the_Emancipation_of_the_Niger_Delta

the point being that one would never think these countries even have this sort of activity within them. yet nigeria is painted as though the whole place is in conflict. of course shit like you cant tell the difference because the white man's dick is so far down your throat.
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by uyai(f): 2:57am On Jun 13, 2007
obongggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please tell them, need i say more. We call them UNLCLE TOM
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by hbrednic: 4:13am On Jun 13, 2007
@obong
please save yourself some energy brother,otherwise you will be arguing with fools.
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by YangaRat: 7:14am On Jun 13, 2007
Yes o.  We gree say IRA dey UK, ETA dey Spain and KKK dey America,  but the point wey some people here dey try to forget be say all those separatist group them nogo EVER fit get power reach to dry the treasury of the federal gofment of the country wey them dey operate.

Who no know go know say MEND when dey Nigeria oil region dey VERY different from those other group, because MEND fit spark come begin dey take dynamite scatter ALL the oil pipe and pump head when dey Niger Delta, wey e go be say THE WHOLE source of Nigeria income go pafuka finish one-2, if our new president Yar Adua no settle MEND and Niger Delta people quick-quick once wey him don enter office for Aso Rock.

Make una no because of ya love for Nigeria come dey compare Nigeria every day, every where danger with ETA and IRA OCCASIONAL attack for Spain and London, because no be only MEND dey cause make Nigeria dey unsafe in general.  Make I begin dey list am  for una ?

Abi una don forget say nobody when get common sense go ready to waka for Nigeria express road once night don fall because if army robber no fire them moto, na police go take big timber and stone cross road and arrest or fire any driver when no gree settle as usual.  I sure say una go also claim say una never hear how as army robber dey take over many of Nigeria town for night, come begin dey raid every house turn by turn, dey rape and kill with full confidence as them know say them don REGISTER with police.

Anyway make I no talk too much o, otherwise our close-eye, all-weather promoters of Nigeria "good name" them go wake up begin dey halla dey call me another mumu wey no know say na Nigeria dey safe pass for all this world country.   

Monkey no fine, but him mama love am.
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by DisGuy: 10:36am On Jun 13, 2007
obong:

Enlighten me!Must have missed the countless reports of kidnappings for ransom in the West by militant groups.

are you aware of the separatist movements in both spain and britain that have festered for years? yet these places are always presented as safe havens and romantic spots. they isolate the problem and present a clean view to the world. in fairness the same should apply to nigeria. the ND problem is in small pockets of the ND, and frankly it is not as dangerous as the IRA in britain or the Bath (spelling?) in spain that bomb innocent citizens. as least the ND target specific groups and can be predictable

this nonsense about making nigeria out to the be the heart of darkness is clearly racist and betrays their motives. the sad part is many of the posters on this site are so ignorant and uneducated that they can't even see that very clear message

if you have access to NTA you will also notice that they never show riots, protests, hungry people, they always "isolate the problems and present a clean view to the world" wink
why do we always expect other TV centre to present us like some holy people?

sensationalizing is part of the news by the way afterall we see it in the sun newspaper with their impeccable source who always begs anonymity; frank nwanker jnr has still not showed the world the evidence he got from his own research at least if CNN wont show it NTA will
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by Iman3(m): 1:37pm On Jun 13, 2007
@obong
Had you not called someone a "stupid shit",I would have dismissed your comments.Let me however treat you as you should be treated.Your posts on this issue display a remarkable synthesis of ignorance and imbeccilitty.Let me reference again your comments
the ND problem is in small pockets of the ND, and frankly it is not as dangerous as the IRA in britain or the Bath (spelling?) in spain that bomb innocent citizens

This is nothing but brazen idiocy.I live in Europe,Britain to be precise.Nobody feels threatened by the IRA.Apart from the obvious fact that the IRA renounced violence since 2005(must have escaped your notice),there has not been any known significant acts of violence by the IRA or any of its splinter groups since the Armagh bombing in 1998(9 years ago).

ETA in Spain is still violent( 900 people have died since 1968) but its death toll is relatively puny.Very few people,if any get killed by ETA these days.I don't know the precise yearly  casualty figures from ETA's activities but I do know that 46 people have been killed since 1998 .That works out at 5.1 deaths per annum.

Compare this,to the current situation in the Niger Delta.Here are some reports on the situation in the region

Such grievances are one of several reasons for the escalating violence, which according to conflict experts and security analysts, left over a thousand deaths in the Niger Delta in 2003. Amnesty International’s calculations based on local and international media reports, show that the number of people killed in the Delta, Rivers and Bayelsa States in 2004 up to and including incidents in late August, could be in the region of 670.http://www.commondreams.org/news2004/1109-01.htm(check bottom of the 4th paragraph)

According to the Shell report: "Annual casualties from fighting  already place the Niger Delta in the 'high intensity conflict' category (over 1,000 fatalities a year), alongside more known cases such as Chechnya and Colombia.
http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/06/africa/bassey.htm (Check the 4th paragraph)
To suggest that Britain or Spain faces greater danger from the activities of the IRA or ETA is mind boggling stupidity.For instance,nobody has been  killed in Northern Ireland(Ulster) throughout this year or last year due to separatist activities.Not one single person.

In Spain,ETA last caused fatalities in December 2006(2 deaths),prior to that,the last fatalities were also 2 deaths in 2003.That is 4 deaths in the past 4 years.http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=12867&sectionid=3510206.Compare that to the constant death and destruction in the Niger-Delta.At least 1,000 fatalities in 2006 alone and you will realise the gravity of the situation.To claim that Nigeria is just as safe as Britain or Spain is a sad example of rectal-cranial inversion  

I brought up a number of links to for your perusal.Stop making ignorant comments.This will help cure your rectal-cranial inversion  

http://www.worldhunger.org/articles/06/africa/bassey.htm
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2006/10/mil-061005-voa06.htm
http://www.stakeholderdemocracy.org/main/content/view/34/37/1/0/
http://www.remembersarowiwa.com/pdfs/Odioma_Feb19.pdf
http://www.commondreams.org/news2004/1109-01.htm
http://www.answers.com/topic/conflict-in-the-niger-delta
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/war/nigeria-2.htm
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by Jakumo(m): 2:06pm On Jun 13, 2007
Holy Mackerel. Iman.  Damn.   Your ruthless deployment of the term "Retrocranial Inversion" sent me scurrying for my dictionary, but I am still none the wiser.

Yo, Obong.   The ball sho'nuff is in your court.  Let us see how you will deflect Iman's cruise missile without resorting to any further acts that could be construed as being retrocranially inverted.   The eyes of the international community are following this thread, and I know Obong is at this very moment removing the safety catch in readiness.
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by ono(m): 2:24pm On Jun 13, 2007
Jakumo, when I'm done cracking my ribs after laughing out so loud, you'll be invted to pay the bills for fixing them back.

I-Man, well, we will get back to you as regards the security situation in the Delta.
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by Iman3(m): 2:29pm On Jun 13, 2007
Jakumo:

Holy Mackerel. Iman.  Damn.   Your ruthless deployment of the term "Retrocranial Inversion" sent me scurrying for my dictionary, but I am still none the wiser.

Should have said rectalcranial inversion.Will edit it  grin  grin He seems to be a victim  of this problem.Thats why he can't see the full scale of death and destruction in the Niger-Delta.If you think Bilbao(Basque-Spain) is just as dangerous as Port-Harcourt,see a doctor! obongs' malaise
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by obong(m): 3:10pm On Jun 13, 2007
This is nothing but brazen idiocy.I live in Europe,Britain to be precise.Nobody feels threatened by the IRA.Apart from the obvious fact that the IRA renounced violence since 2005(must have escaped your notice),there has not been any known significant acts of violence by the IRA or any of its splinter groups since the Armagh bombing in 1998(9 years ago).

ETA in Spain is still violent( 900 people have died since 1968) but its death toll is relatively puny.Very few people,if any get killed by ETA these days.I don't know the precise yearly casualty figures from ETA's activities but I do know that 46 people have been killed since 1998 .That works out at 5.1 deaths per annum.

Compare this,to the current situation in the Niger Delta.Here are some reports on the situation in the region

You are so desperate to defend the europeans over your country that you have stooped to calling the deaths by these groups "puny." try telling that to the families. the fact remains these deaths are happening in supposedly 2 of the richest countries in the world with the resources to stop the violence. yet they have not done it. yet, you guys want to make nigeria's own seems worse. c'mon. compare the 'puny' killings of any of those groups and tell me, honestly, which is worse. mend or those euro killers.

I guess it also escaped you that MEND has also called for a cease fire. and that the IRA has also called for a cease fire before and yet resumed fighting later. let me also point out to you that most nigerians are not afraid of MEND either, because the ND is remote from most places in nigeria, especially places of significant commerce like lagos, abuja and kano, that most of the attacks take place off the coast of nigeria in oil rigs, and also because MEND and co tend to attack mostly foreigners, not nigerians. I when i say attack, i mean kidnap. IRA and co tend to blast anyone, even children, and do it in very public places like trains and what not as my links point out. if anything, you are making the point that these groups are very similar, with slight and differences. and the differences play out in favor of MEND, who are less violent.

so why the disparate treatment in the media and in the minds of unpatriotic nigerians like yourself.? the first part is easy to answer, since we don't own the media, they will continue to talk nonsense about us. but how can you explain the fact that supposedly intelligent nigerians like yourself also buy into that same crap. perhaps i'm being too generous by assuming you are intelligent.

you keep pointing out that "these days" basque and ira dont kill as much. well mend never killed much, and will probably kill less in the future. doesn't something shake in your brain when you write that these movements have been around since 1968! i mean think about that for a while. that sort of violence for close to 40 years! spain and britain have lived with these movements and are still first world countries. these separatist movements don't take away from the progress of those countries, and fools like you that believe mend classifies all nigeria are one of our biggest problems because you go around parroting the same lies. pointing out that the IRA and britain are trying to solve he problem by agreeing to a cease fire does not dismiss thier violent and bloody past.

how many of you here want to bet that nigeria solves the mend problem before britain or spain EVER solve their separatist problems?

the article you listed shows you are a stark raving idiot.

1. only a fool like you would believe that over 1000 people have been killed in the ND yearly. the papers constantly report one or two unfortunate nigerian police or soldier died. if you believe 1000 people are killed there a year, (greater than the annual loss of soldiers by americans in iraq and afganistan annually) than you are as big a fool as i imagined.

2. read the articles that you bother to post. it states that the killing is as a result of OBJ ordering soldiers to raid and level villages in the ND. this was not killing done by MEND. your article is misplaced.

3. the killing done by OBJ happened in 1999. years before MEND was even formed.

try again
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by dj4wealth: 3:51pm On Jun 13, 2007
Made in Nigeria, by Nigerians & for Nigerians.

Pls stop the Civil War in this Naira land Country.

I still stand by word that the Media Presentation on Africa by the Western World is totally unfair.

I-Man & Obong be your brothers keeper.

1Love
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by Iman3(m): 6:17pm On Jun 13, 2007
@obong
You are so desperate to defend the europeans over your country that you have stooped to calling the deaths by these groups "puny." try telling that to the families.
The above exposes the fact that you are grammatically challenged.The death toll in the UK and Spain is  "relatively puny" compared to the Niger-Delta.It is dishonest to remove the term "relatively" to give my statement another meaning.

the fact remains these deaths are happening in supposedly 2 of the richest countries in the world with the resources to stop the violence. yet they have not done it.  yet, you guys want to make nigeria's own seems worse. c'mon.  compare the 'puny' killings of any of those groups and tell me, honestly, which is worse. mend or those euro killers.

Utter drivel! Which deaths are happening in the UK?There hasn't been any separatist killings by the IRA or any of its splinter groups since 1998.The fact that violence in the Niger-Delta is significantly worse than in the UK or Spain is apparent to all but the most phenomenally ignorant.This is for the simple reason that there is no violence happening in the UK and there has been relatively fewer deaths in Spain(4 in the last 4 years).The Niger-Delta is witnessing  violence that exceeds anything one may find in Spain or the UK.

I guess it also escaped you that  MEND has also called for a cease fire. and that the IRA has also called for a cease fire before and yet resumed fighting later.
Your ignorance is unparralleled.The IRA has not called for a ceasefire.The IRA has renounced the armed struggle and decomissioned its weapons.This has never happened before.Comparing the IRA 's renunciation of violence to MEND's call for a ceasefire is utterly fatuous.

so why the disparate treatment in the media and in the minds of unpatriotic nigerians like yourself.? the first part is easy to answer, since we don't own the media, they will continue to talk nonsense about us. but how can you explain the fact that supposedly intelligent nigerians like yourself also buy into that same crap. perhaps i'm being too generous by assuming you are intelligent.
Your posts veer from the moronic to the blatantly dishonest
The "disparate treatment" is due to the simple fact that there is no violence to cover.Which violence are they going to cover in the UK, for instance? Is this not complete lunacy? When there has been violence,like in the early 90s.The media gave it wall to wall coverage.They hid nothing,unlike our notoriously quiet NTA.

you keep pointing out that "these days" basque and ira don't kill as much. well mend never killed much, and will probably kill less in the future.
IRA doesn't kill at all anymore.ETA has killed 4 people over the last 4 years(2 in 2006 and 2 in 2003).However,even the very link you cited noted that MEND has killied much more-10 on the 2nd of October 2006,9 workers for ENI earlier in the year.This death toll,while not by any means an exhaustive toll of the deaths caused by MEND,is much worse than the exhaustive death toll,attributable to the IRA and ETA in the same year-0 for the IRA and 2 for ETA in 2006.This is 9 times as worse and  appears from your very own link.

something shake in your brain when you write that these movements have been around since 1968! i mean think about that for a while. that sort of violence for close to 40 years! spain and britain have lived with these movements and are still first world countries
For God's sake,shut up!3,000 people were killed in Ulster(N.Ireland) since then,900 people in the Basque region.In between that time,Nigeria has had a civil war(I million dead) and innumerable casualties from a variety of conflicts.

. only a fool like you would believe that over 1000 people have been killed in the ND yearly. the papers constantly report one or two unfortunate nigerian police or soldier died. if you believe 1000 people are killed there a year, (greater than the annual loss of soldiers by americans in iraq and afganistan annually) than you are as big a fool as i imagined.

The burden of proof rests on a person who makes a claim.I have cited a multiplicity of sources(Shell,Amnesty International,Global Security.org) who claim that the total death toll in the Niger-Delta hovers around the 1,000 mark per annum.You have cited no source to vindicate your claim that the deaths are limited to "one or two unfortunate Nigerian police or soilder".Put up or shut up.
read the articles that you bother to post. it states that the killing is as a result of OBJ ordering soldiers to raid and level villages in the ND. this was not killing done by MEND. your article is misplaced.
3. the killing done by OBJ happened in 1999. years before MEND was even formed.
Do you access the internet through an interpreter? I'm sure you can read.Let me repaste the relevant sections of the articles again.

"Such grievances are one of several reasons for the escalating violence, which according to conflict experts and security analysts, left over a thousand deaths in the Niger Delta in 2003. Amnesty International’s calculations based on local and international media reports, show that the number of people killed in the Delta, Rivers and Bayelsa States in 2004 up to and including incidents in late August, could be in the region of 670"

Where does the above state 1999?   What an oaf

"Annual casualties from fighting  already place the Niger Delta in the 'high intensity conflict' category (over 1,000 fatalities a year), alongside more known cases such as Chechnya and Colombia.

No rational person will believe that the above refers to the one-off conflict in Odi back in 1999.One of the links I put up,put the Odi death tolll at 2,483 fatalities.

Let me end by repeating the question I put to you before-Is Bilbao(Basque-Spain) less safe than Port-Harcourt? If you weren't so inebriated in your imbeccilitty,you would know better.
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by ono(m): 6:19pm On Jun 13, 2007
Obong,
You know, I served in Bayelsa state for the compulsory one-year NYSC. At the last lap of our orientation camp, we were made to trek from the camp site in Kaiama to Odi - the supposedly military leveled town. You know, I asked to see the buildings that were destroyed by the army at the time to know how true the story of rampaging and destructing army is. The locals there told me no doubt, the presence of the military guys caused no small stir; but to say the town was completely leveled as speculated by the western press and even some of our dailies is pure lie.

Over reliance on newspaper publications is dangerous. For first hand information, if you're in doubt, go to the location and see things for yourself.

I-man, the Niger delta is a peaceful place. Have you heard about the Tinapa business resort, Obudu Ranch, Abraka beach resort, and recently, the world class golf course in Akawa-ibom state? Surely you have never stepped on the soil in the Delta to make such statements about the Delta. Much as the average conditions of the people of the area is like that of the average Nigerian, we believe this should not be the case given the enormous resources bestowed on us by God. The average niger-deltan should live in a much better environment, exposed to the best training possible, and live generally comfortably relative to other Nigerians.
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by Iman3(m): 6:41pm On Jun 13, 2007
ono:

I-man, the Niger delta is a peaceful place. Have you heard about the Tinapa business resort, Obudu Ranch, Abraka beach resort, and recently, the world class golf course in Akawa-ibom state? Surely you have never stepped on the soil in the Delta to make such statements about the Delta.
Is the Niger-Delta more peaceful than the Basque region or Ulster? That's the crux of the debate.If you think the region is so peaceful that there is nothing to be worried about,fair enough,as long as you don't go around calling people "stupid shit" for expressing a contrary view .
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by debosky(m): 8:28pm On Jun 13, 2007
the area is the size of scotland for crying out loud, do you expect there to be continuous gunfire every second every where?

the parts that are unsafe are extremely unsafe, especially the waterside locations around PH, Nembe, Brass and a few others in Delta I can't mention now.

where I live in Lagos (as small as it is) I never see all the area-boy madness that is going on in Oshodi today, but does that negate its existence? NO
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by obong(m): 1:12am On Jun 14, 2007

The above exposes the fact that you are grammatically challenged.The death toll in the UK and Spain is "relatively puny" compared to the Niger-Delta.It is dishonest to remove the term "relatively" to give my statement another meaning.

Utter drivel! Which deaths are happening in the UK?There hasn't been any separatist killings by the IRA or any of its splinter groups since 1998.The fact that violence in the Niger-Delta is significantly worse than in the UK or Spain is apparent to all but the most phenomenally ignorant.This is for the simple reason that there is no violence happening in the UK and there has been relatively fewer deaths in Spain(4 in the last 4 years).The Niger-Delta is witnessing violence that exceeds anything one may find in Spain or the UK.

presently yes, but so what. im comparing the entire movements, not convenient pockets in their history

Your ignorance is unparralleled.The IRA has not called for a ceasefire.The IRA has renounced the armed struggle and decomissioned its weapons.This has never happened before.Comparing the IRA 's renunciation of violence to MEND's call for a ceasefire is utterly fatuous.

Why?

Your posts veer from the moronic to the blatantly dishonest
The "disparate treatment" is due to the simple fact that there is no violence to cover.Which violence are they going to cover in the UK, for instance? Is this not complete lunacy? When there has been violence,like in the early 90s.The media gave it wall to wall coverage.They hid nothing,unlike our notoriously quiet NTA.

i lived in the UK before the ceasefire and I also lived in the US before the ceasefire. at no time did the coverage ever paint the violence there as they do in nigeria. you keep harping on this period of the ceasefire. im speaking of the larger history and actions of these two groups. calling me a lunatic or whatever may make you feel better, but doesnt carry your point

IRA doesn't kill at all anymore.ETA has killed 4 people over the last 4 years(2 in 2006 and 2 in 2003).However,even the very link you cited noted that MEND has killied much more-10 on the 2nd of October 2006,9 workers for ENI earlier in the year.This death toll,while not by any means an exhaustive toll of the deaths caused by MEND,is much worse than the exhaustive death toll,attributable to the IRA and ETA in the same year-0 for the IRA and 2 for ETA in 2006.This is 9 times as worse and appears from your very own link.

once again, you talk only about the honeymoon period. why avoid the other par of their history?

For God's sake,shut up!3,000 people were killed in Ulster(N.Ireland) since then,900 people in the Basque region.In between that time,Nigeria has had a civil war(I million dead) and innumerable casualties from a variety of conflicts.

now the civil war is blamed on MEND. what is the point of raising the civil war in this argument? your rage is showing and you are losing focus

The burden of proof rests on a person who makes a claim.I have cited a multiplicity of sources(Shell,Amnesty International,Global Security.org) who claim that the total death toll in the Niger-Delta hovers around the 1,000 mark per annum.You have cited no source to vindicate your claim that the deaths are limited to "one or two unfortunate Nigerian police or soilder".Put up or shut up.
http://www.loccidental.net/english/spip.php?article62
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6269351.stm
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L13248051.htm

for 1000 to be killed a year, we would need close to 100 people killed a month in the ND. my friend, do you really believe that. i mean honestly. do you really believe 100 people are killed a month in the ND?

[b]"Such grievances are one of several reasons for the escalating violence, which according to conflict experts and security analysts, left over a thousand deaths in the Niger Delta in 2003. Amnesty International’s calculations based on local and international media reports, show that the number of people killed in the Delta, Rivers and Bayelsa States in 2004 up to and including incidents in late August, could be in the region of 670"

Where does the above state 1999? Huh What an oaf

"Annual casualties from fighting already place the Niger Delta in the 'high intensity conflict' category (over 1,000 fatalities a year), alongside more known cases such as Chechnya and Colombia.

No rational person will believe that the above refers to the one-off conflict in Odi back in 1999.One of the links I put up,put the Odi death tolll at 2,483 fatalities.

Let me end by repeating the question I put to you before-Is Bilbao(Basque-Spain) less safe than Port-Harcourt? If you weren't so inebriated in your imbeccilitty,you would know better. [/b]

you really should take my advice and read what you post carefully. the category 'high intensity conflict' refers to fatalities over 1,000. meaning that fatalities of 2,483 would also qualify. it doesnt have to be exactly 1,000. thats why the Odi incident is part of the list you provided to me.

On November 20, 1999, barely six months into his first term as civilian president of Nigeria, President Obasanjo ordered soldiers into Odi, a town in the Niger Delta. By the time they left, the destruction of Odi was complete and 2,483 people had been slain. The dead included women, children and the aged and infirm.

so even though its not exactly 1,000 people dead, but its over 1,000, it still falls within the category. looks like you dont even understand what you are posting.

So calling you or whoever, stupid shit is what is paining you. LOL. anyway, to answer your question I can't tell you if PH is safer because i dont have the population figures for both regions. i also dont know the source of violence in both regions. If you want me to tell ou where I think is safer, I can do that. but none of us really know. we'd base it on perception. and i can already tell how you perceive nigeria. At any rate your question is off base. Port Harcourt is not the base of operation of MEND. They don't have a base per se, so I don't know why you singled out PH.

I don't need to prove that 1000 people die a year from the activities of MEND. thats your assertion. the links you provided don't state that. besides, idiot, you are doing the very thing that is the basis of this thread. which is basing your opinion on my dear country on the western media. is that all you have to tell you about nigeria. what about your experience in the ND perhaps?

the fact remains that the media paints nigeria and africa in an unfair light. without me bringing up the ETA and IRA in this thread, few would have compared the coverage of those regions and the ND and seen the clear hypocrisy. you may not want to admit it, but statements about that reference "relatively puny' death tolls, don't help your point, but hurt it because it signifies that these major world countries grappled with the same problems that nigeria does. and they also fail at solving these problems. and stating that the violence has reduced is weak. the violence ranged for 40 years; a short stay of the violence is the exception in britain and spain, not the rule.
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by Iman3(m): 1:32am On Jun 14, 2007
@obong

Cut the bullshit.In all your remarkable tour de force of incoherence,you have failed to vindicate the following assertion
the ND problem is in small pockets of the ND, and frankly it is not as dangerous as the IRA in britain or the Bath (spelling?) in spain that bomb innocent citizens.

You have told us that there has been violence in the UK or Spain,which was never in dispute.You have failed to show that it is more dangerous than the ND(presumably Niger-Delta).

The media potrays the reality on the ground.You asked why the media doesn't highlight the IRA problem in Ulster.The simple reason is that there hasn't been an IRA attack since 1998.The IRA has been disbanded since 2005 as a para-military organisation.

ETA's problem still exists but on a much lesser case than what we have in the Niger-Delta.Lack of media coverage of the violence is mainly due to the fact that there is little or nothing to cover.2 fatalities in Dec 2006,2 more in 2003.What are they supposed to cover again?
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by debosky(m): 1:40am On Jun 14, 2007
I don't know why you're bothering I-man, he is obviously deluded that this is simply about western coverage of the ND issue

I gave up on him quite a while back. very soon when we say people are dying of AIDS in Africa, he'll remind us of the great plagues in Europe for comparison or maybe even the extinction of the dinosaurs grin grin
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by Iman3(m): 1:46am On Jun 14, 2007
I don't know why you're bothering I-man, he is obviously deluded that this is simply about western coverage of the ND issue

Lawyers love a debate. grin I don give up for the man.He thinks being patriotic entails engaging in denial and utterly fatuous parallels.
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by obong(m): 1:56am On Jun 14, 2007
the two of you are dumb and dumber.
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by obong(m): 1:57am On Jun 14, 2007
You have told us that there has been violence in the UK or Spain,which was never in dispute.You have failed to show that it is more dangerous than the ND(presumably Niger-Delta).

The media potrays the reality on the ground.You asked why the media doesn't highlight the IRA problem in Ulster.The simple reason is that there hasn't been an IRA attack since 1998.The IRA has been disbanded since 2005 as a para-military organisation.

ETA's problem still exists but on a much lesser case than what we have in the Niger-Delta.Lack of media coverage of the violence is mainly due to the fact that there is little or nothing to cover.2 fatalities in Dec 2006,2 more in 2003.What are they supposed to cover again?

why must i show you it is more violent in the ND than in basque. why?
Re: Jeff Koinange Sacked From CNN Over His Story On The Niger-delta Based Mend Group by Iman3(m): 2:08am On Jun 14, 2007
why must i show you it is more violent in the ND than in basque. why?
Because you made the following assertion
the ND problem is in small pockets of the ND, and frankly it is not as dangerous as the IRA in britain or the Bath (spelling?) in spain that bomb innocent citizens.
and called someone a "stupid shit" for saying this

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

'It’s Too Late For Atiku To Use Chicago University Records Against Me', Tinubu / Wife Of Mubarak Bala Pleads For ‘Proof Of Life’ / Newswire Retracts Story About Terrorist Watchlist. Pantami Reacts.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.