Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,030 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? (38932 Views)

Lady With 3rd Class In Nigerian University Bags 100% Masters In UK University / Third Class/pass Degree/gap Study But Finding Hard To Study Abroad For Masters? / Can I Do Masters With A 3rd Class Degree In Europe (USA)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by Nobody: 9:26am On Mar 06, 2020
damocool:

Come of it jare!! It's good to have good grades no doubt about it, but at the same time it does not guarantee anyone job in this country.. Jobs are been shared like cake in this country.. A federal polytechnic in my state recruited some months ago, and one of the interviewers complained to the rector that how could a third class degree holder possibly got recruited as a lecturer at the school, but the rector replied him that what's his problem with that.. Definitely, Abuja had the person covered... Biochemistry first class guy was like pleading for job on Twitter this week. He's been looking for job for over 4 years now.. Grade is awesome bro but connection is the bomb.. Like what a friend of mine told me about his brother experience when he got job at ptdf.. Those with sponsors were put in a room, served tea and bread while others were made to write aptitude test in another room for same job, and after the test they were told that they would get back to them even when they knew that their real candidates were enjoying themselves in another room.. Imagine after such enjoyment, they were given 20k for transport fare... In fact I went for an interview at one private University, I was called again for another interview but on getting there is met a guy whom I knew to be working in a state university, but was dismissed recently due to age falsification. This guy said he came for an interview at same department where I applied to and even the same position I applied for.. In fact he wasn't really interviewed but he name had been included on the list and I learnt the department is just looking for just two staffs. How did the guy get there? He's brother is the director of the ICT at same University. A friend of mine lecturing at that department reached out to the man to know what's actually happening, and the man was like if the department doesn't do anything about his brother, he will go to the owner of the school to plead his case.. I think you know what will happen next if he has his way.. Grade is good really but connection does most work in this Nigeria.. Have head a lot of stories where connection prevail over grades.

Chief, i am not disputing the connection factor, it happens everywhere, even in the developed world.
As for that Biochemistry grad, its likely age isn't on his side for graduate trainee jobs (27 max) but if not, may be he's not closer to information. Young people who knew nobody still get good jobs in this country. It may not be immediately after youth service but it will definitely come, that is if the said good grade holder is within the age range, passed tests and interviews.
I knew nobody when i got my first job in 2014 , in fact i came third on the assessment list of about 500 and my CGPA was 3.61 (Demography & Social statistics).

2 Likes

Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by GoodBoi1(m): 9:28am On Mar 06, 2020
One thing I don't like about threads like this are posts about people wishing and hoping that 1st class and 2:1 graduates will get it wrong in life. I think it just a way of consoling yourself instead of tackling your own problem head on. Hating on 1st class and 2:1 will not lift you up. There are 2.1+ that have started their own businesses with or without having juicy jobs and are employers of labour. There are many 1st class and 2:1s that did not rely on their certificate but learnt skills while in school and even after school and are doing well and will still achieve greater things later on. Having a third class or about does not guarantee that you will become more successful than those with higher grades if you refuse to take responsibility and do something about your situation. You can succeed regardless of your education and certificate just know what is demanded of you and do it. It might not seem pleasant at first but later on you will be glad you did, just like studying in school.

9 Likes

Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by Nobody: 9:31am On Mar 06, 2020
uuzba:

I work in a construction firm headed by a white Italian, here in Nigeria. And you must know that the only reason we get contracts is because the man is white and it his fellow Italian clients and friends and network that give him jobs. This guys do not even listen to Nigerians. If any of us tried to setup our own construction like this one, e no go work. We are black.
Right here, graduates have come to beg for one position or another and collect N20,000. Some sef came and asked to just work free.
Graduate? Free work?
We that are collecting salary, when I asked, each of us has connection with the guy through one thing. Na God carry me come here. I'm monitoring situation and looking for way ahead

I didn't dispute the fact that networking plays a major role in job distribution but don't tell me construction companies owned by Nigerians don't get contracts. Go to ikoyi & Lekki and see indigenous building contractors erecting edifices ,don't know much about road though.
And you can't take away the Nigerians crave for a touch western people even if they're not the ones carrying out these works but the prestige it gives is why they dish out major contracts to them .
It's a tough world out there, i repeat there are people who knew nobody, some have not even been to Lagos until they got job invites and luck smiled on them.
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by OlawaleBammie: 9:34am On Mar 06, 2020
xcabczyxabczzzz:
You still believe he had a 3rd class in this present age?
he graduated with third class in Nigeria before moving abroad

1 Like

Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by tallskinnyperv(m): 9:35am On Mar 06, 2020
Azazeal007:
This is really a sad moment for every Nigerian students out there, when you fit into a job description and then you found out they only want people with higher degree.

Graduating with a 3rd class or pass degree I believe is no sin. But employers out there would not even look at your CV when you are below par, no matter the amount of experience you are bringing. Some unavoidable things must have happened in school that led to that, but nobody cares.

How then do you tell that to the people around you? Especially your parents or guardians who’d be feeling like their investments on you went down the drain. When people finish from the university with a third class or pass degree, they most times feel like their whole world came crashing down on them. How then do one get to a good job?

I personally fall into this category due to some unforseen circumstances but who cares. After searching fruitlessly for jobs for a year now, I just have to sit back and think about my life.

My fellow Nairalanders what is the way forward?No job, no capital to startup my own business, no money to go back for a postgraduate course. Its just me myself and I (Owusagi)
u can never find work..unless u go back to school and get a better grade....ur life of penury is sure...
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by plana1: 9:38am On Mar 06, 2020
DModeCntStopMe:
shocked

Irrelevant question!

Your president has proved all that don't matter since he could stir the affairs of the nation without one.

I beg to disagree with you on this. What he has only proved is the fact that it does matter, judging by his performance in office he has failed in all areas of life.

1 Like

Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by davidque: 9:40am On Mar 06, 2020
OP your question is a useless one.
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by CaptainLora: 9:40am On Mar 06, 2020
YES!

Azazeal007:
This is really a sad moment for every Nigerian students out there, when you fit into a job description and then you found out they only want people with higher degree.

Graduating with a 3rd class or pass degree I believe is no sin. But employers out there would not even look at your CV when you are below par, no matter the amount of experience you are bringing. Some unavoidable things must have happened in school that led to that, but nobody cares.

How then do you tell that to the people around you? Especially your parents or guardians who’d be feeling like their investments on you went down the drain. When people finish from the university with a third class or pass degree, they most times feel like their whole world came crashing down on them. How then do one get to a good job?

I personally fall into this category due to some unforseen circumstances but who cares. After searching fruitlessly for jobs for a year now, I just have to sit back and think about my life.

My fellow Nairalanders what is the way forward?No job, no capital to startup my own business, no money to go back for a postgraduate course. Its just me myself and I (Owusagi)
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by Nobody: 9:42am On Mar 06, 2020
Azazeal007:

Next time be careful of your language,it may create depression in weak persons who are already struggling with their 3rd class or pass degrees. Instead use the word "less relevant" rather than "useless".
Why do people like looking for work this much in Nigeria with so much entrepreneural opportunities to harness. I don't know about you,but employee days were the worst days of my life when I had to sell my time to join build another mans dreams. Good luck in your search

2 Likes

Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by Jones363: 9:46am On Mar 06, 2020
quote author=Afromentalist post=87206266] You people Should read the excellent book by Kyosaki:

Why A students work for C students, and why B students work for the government.

The truth is, beyond A level, diplomas are almost useless everywhere in the world unless you want to become an academic professor.

This is even truer in countries like Nigeria where even the modern slavery system called jobs are not even available except you have a connection or godfather. Certificates are good to wipe yansh nowadays, don't be mistaken about that.

The amount of energy and money you put into having a master could turn you into a millionaire if you spent it more wisely.

Instead of running after certificates, try to learn rare skills that will make you free and rich. That's what true Mentalists and aspiring Mentalists do.

The African Mentalist

Ps: those who want the book can contact me for a digital copy. [/quote]
please I need a copy
Joneschisom@gmail.com dats my mail tnx u

1 Like

Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by shine12: 9:49am On Mar 06, 2020
In the world of pursuing work based on academic merit, you might struggle but I',ve come to realise that creativity is innate and academic qualifications has been a blessing and curse to some.its taken some to greater heights and its made some to forget their natural talents and dreams. A 3rd class graduate could end up becoming a great business owner. I won't say any human is useless based on the result of a 4 year degree.

1 Like

Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by osquareone: 9:50am On Mar 06, 2020
[quote author=tripplephi post=87203566]

You are either in the wrong field or you are thinking wrong.

In today's workplace, SABIFICATE is higher than CERTIFICATE.

"Na who PASS KNOW book but na who get JOB KNOW THE WAY"

Learn a practical skill and be the best at it and the same employers will beg you to be employed

Another factor is WHO DO YOU KNOW..... some names are higher than BSC and even MASTERS.....

YOUR NETWORK IS YOUR NETWORTH

So if you are still running with the old brain mindset that your paper from school can affect your life, then you are either very very ignorant or just unfortunate.

THIRD CLASS PEOPLE THESE DAYS ARE THOSE WHO UNDERSTOOD LIFE EARLY AND KNEW THEIR PATH IN LIFE WAS NOT TO CARRY BOOK ON THEIR HEAD, and after school, it is the 3rd class persons', that becomes rich and better than the first class.

SO gbe body eh, shake of that quack mentality your experience has given you and go get 3-5 relevant self employable skills and watch how your life will change in a matter of months.

NB: The skills are FREE if you know how to use your MB data well. Some may even be here on nairaland in the business section.[/quote

I totally agree with u bro.. I am also a victim but today, by God's grace, I am not using my certificate but SABIFICATE. Just look inward and see wat you can do with ease n still derive pleasure in doing it. 3rd class or pass is just a stepping stone to your greatness only if u can have a positive mindset about life. I celebrate u all greatly.
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by mechanics(m): 9:51am On Mar 06, 2020
All hope is not lost, maybe you should go a step further by getting professional certification and further studies, it will assist you in getting a job, I even know of a third class graduate working in the civil service, so don't give up.
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by osquareone: 9:52am On Mar 06, 2020
I am also a victim but today, by God's grace, I am not using my certificate but SABIFICATE. Just look inward and see wat you can do with ease n still derive pleasure in doing it. 3rd class or pass is just a stepping stone to your greatness only if u can have a positive mindset about life. I celebrate u all greatly.
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by Unserious: 9:52am On Mar 06, 2020
Hezmatosky:
Totally useless. What's the value of you going to school? You dey crase? Abi you dey mad ni? What kind of stupidity is that? Are you mad? Crazy? Or something? Fool and idiotic human being you are. So unserious and ignorant. Guy am not trying to insult you, but that's what your father will say angry

Never you mention me along with "Ignorant" again!
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by ojaydedon(m): 9:55am On Mar 06, 2020
Afromentalist:
You people Should read the excellent book by Kyosaki:

The truth is, beyond A level, diplomas are almost useless everywhere in the world unless you want to become an academic professor.

This is even truer in countries like Nigeria where even the modern slavery system called jobs are not even available except you have a connection or godfather. Certificates are good to wipe yansh nowadays, don't be mistaken about that.

The amount of energy and money you put into having a master could turn you into a millionaire if you spent it more wisely.

Instead of running after certificates, try to learn rare skills that will make you free and rich. That's what true Mentalists and aspiring Mentalists do.

The African Mentalist

Ps: those who want the book can contact me for a digital copy.

I want the book
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by Jman06(m): 9:59am On Mar 06, 2020
The truth is that our education sector needs a total overhaul and a change from the current state of things.
We have completely lost the whole essence of education which is to acquire knowledge that can be applied for betterment of the society. That is why somebody would be here arguing that companies prefer 3rd class graduates to first class. Imagine such nonsense! A first class graduate that should be a problem solver in his field! A rallying point that everybody should look up to for solution!

But what we have is a system that encourages students to just memorize lecture materials(with AOCs in some cases) and then enter exam hall and write those memorized works, score an A and dump the whole thing thereafter. At the end of the day they come out with first class without understanding anything in their fields of study.
Those who tried to go extra miles in understanding the courses they study are sometimes punished with poor grades by lecturers for not regurgitating the exact thing in their lecture materials.

If I'm to be a lecturer today, I'll never give out a lecture note or handouts to students and those who don't have good textbooks in my course will not be in my class. Besides, I'll adopt a very strict testing and examination approaches that would ensure a pass for only those who truly understand my course.

@op, I think companies should stop discriminating against those with 2-2 and 3rd class but put everybody to test so that those who scale their tests would be employed irrespective of their classes of degree.

5 Likes

Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by uchman(m): 10:01am On Mar 06, 2020
d33types:
If you graduated with a 3rd class or pass and at the same time you didn't do or learn anything significant with your time, then it's likely you're a failure already.except you sit up.

Like ,what the heck would make you have a 3rd class, when you didn't do any business in school or didn't learn any side skill which swallowed your time of studies!

You are right brother but there are inevitable
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by 12345DKO(m): 10:05am On Mar 06, 2020
Afromentalist:

The African Mentalist

Good morning
Please I need the book.
boboye209@gmail.com
Thank you
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by saintneo(m): 10:06am On Mar 06, 2020
Azazeal007:

They are not useless.

Those are just grades, you just have to have passion for something then try to earn money from it.
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by Harbeeorlar(m): 10:09am On Mar 06, 2020
I will love to read
Afromentalist:

The African Mentalist

Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by wizardus: 10:15am On Mar 06, 2020
Afromentalist:

The African Mentalist

Hmmm...
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by Hezmatosky: 10:19am On Mar 06, 2020
Unserious:

Never you mention me along with "Ignorant" again!
Are you not? As a graduate u are contemplating between 65k job and 35k own when your mates are outside there making good money

2 Likes

Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by Cmeo(m): 10:19am On Mar 06, 2020
They will be very useless if they don't have any skills apart from the certificate. They can however be greatly useful when they have modern days sort after skills.
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by Unserious: 10:20am On Mar 06, 2020
Hezmatosky:

Are you not? As a graduate u are contemplating between 65k job and 35k own when your mates are outside there making good money

Only serious people bother about making money. undecided undecided undecided
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by mytalentlyng: 10:22am On Mar 06, 2020
Afromentalist:

The African Mentalist

Kindly avail me with the book, my email is temidayo.adebiyi1@yahoo.com. Thank you
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by dododawa1: 10:23am On Mar 06, 2020
Nonsense, HEAVEN Matter Most Not EARTH.
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by Yeminace(m): 10:25am On Mar 06, 2020
Afromentalist:

The African Mentalist

Pls I want the book..you can send it to my WhatsApp 08060033983 or dewalesam@gmail.com
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by dododawa1: 10:26am On Mar 06, 2020
if you have FAIL in you certificate,will you not live Op?
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by OgogoroFreak(m): 10:30am On Mar 06, 2020
Academically? Yes, they are useless!
Re: Are People With 3rd Class & Pass Certificates Useless? by Kelvin30286063(m): 10:32am On Mar 06, 2020
Prec1ous:

Bro, which ICT college and which programming course did you go for?
I went to Bluescript IT college, Ibadan. Studied programming following on Php at the time but I have since developed my knowledge by training myself on many other programming languages and frameworks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Joy Adesina Graduates From OAU Medical School With 9 Awards / Can A HND Holder Go For Masters? / Maduka University Ekwegbe, Enugu State In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.