Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,298 members, 7,822,483 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military (2902 Views)

Gunman Arrested In Kaduna Found With A Brigadier-general's Complimentary Card / Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu Assumes Command As Director Army Public Relat / Brigadier General F.O. Omata Led Lekki Killing - Femi Fani-Kayode (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by kettykings: 1:18pm On Mar 07, 2020
His Majesty, Obi (Professor) Chukwuka Okonjo, the traditional ruler of Ogwashi-Uku, Delta State, and notable academic and intellectual who developed the famous double intake system and other innovations to improve education in Africa, turns 90 on June 21.

Investigations by News Express showed that series of activities have been lined up to mark the event.

Okonjo is author of over 100 articles and books, including “University Tertiary Education for All”, a 2017 publication by Safari Books. He is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).

Okonjo, who was crowned Obi in 2007, began his career as an academic at the Economics Department of the University of Ibadan in 1963, where he founded the first Center for Demography in Nigeria in partnership with Prof John Caldwell of the Australian National University.

He moved to the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, during the civil disturbances that preceded the Nigerian civil war, where he served as Head, Department of Economics and later Dean of the Faculty of Social Sciences.

An alumnus of Kings College, Lagos, Okonjo had earned his first degree – a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics – as an external candidate of the University of London at 23 and became Principal of Boys High School, Ibadan in 1952 at the very young age of 24.

In 1955, he proceeded to Germany on a German government scholarship, where he spent the next eight years distinguishing himself with two Master’s degrees in economics and statistics and a Doctorate degree in Mathematical Statistics.

During the civil war, Prof Okonjo was a Brigadier in the Biafran Army and Head of the iconic Biafran Organization of Freedom Fighters (BOFF)

Prof Okonjo left the University of Nigeria in 1973 and joined the United Nations as Director of the UN Regional Institute for Population Studies (RIPS) located in the University of Ghana, Accra. He served in the UN for 15 years before taking up appointment as Education Advisor to the Ghanaian government. It was in this position that he developed the double intake system designed to achieve significant increase in student enrolment rates.

He is the recipient of honors too numerous to list including honorary doctorate degrees, and high national awards from the governments of Ghana and Nigeria.

He and his wife of 65 years, Prof Kamene Okonjo, have seven children, 21 grand-children and great grand-children.

Former Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, is the first child of Obi (Prof) Okonjo.

5 Likes

Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by jimyjames(m): 1:23pm On Mar 07, 2020
Afronja's over to you

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by solmusdesigns: 2:56pm On Mar 07, 2020
jimyjames:
Afronja's over to you

are afonja's your parents abi why calling them
Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by jimyjames(m): 3:32pm On Mar 07, 2020
solmusdesigns:

are afonja's your parents abi why calling them

Yes afronjas are my parents, do you have a problem with that?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by solmusdesigns: 3:34pm On Mar 07, 2020
jimyjames:

Yes afronjas are my parents, do you have a problem with that?

try ask your mum well, afonja doesnt have flat head, and he would rather fight till death than be like lamidi kanu and ojukwu

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by mercyville: 3:37pm On Mar 07, 2020
solmusdesigns:

try ask your mum well, afonja doesnt have flat head, and he would rather fight till death than be like lamidi kanu and ojukwu

1 Share

Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by solmusdesigns: 3:39pm On Mar 07, 2020
mercyville:

hahahaha!!! this made me crack up they would rush to say they want to live to die another day grin maga dem
Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by jimyjames(m): 3:40pm On Mar 07, 2020
Olanipekun1:
yet another one
mynd44 lalasticlala seun oam4j obinoscopy
solmus is back with solmusdesigns to continue breaking rules

Olanipekun1 be careful I didn't break any rule I only replied a message that was directed to me ,

I don't know these monikers you are mentioning, you are a hater I know
Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by SundayIgbanke: 3:40pm On Mar 07, 2020
[s]
solmusdesigns:

hahahaha!!! this made me crack up they would rush to say they want to live to die another day grin maga dem
[/s]

4 Likes

Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by solmusdesigns: 3:43pm On Mar 07, 2020
jimyjames:

Olanipekun1 be careful I didn't break any rule I only replied a message that was directed to me ,

I don't know these monikers you are mentioning, you are a hater I know

jimmy my guy dont mind that fellow he is your ipob member and wanted to attack me.. but jimy my ipob friend why do you guys run from war and why is it that you watch us marginalize you even with the loan we are taking and you are paying, when will kanu come home to fight for you and not fear aboki dss
Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by jimyjames(m): 3:43pm On Mar 07, 2020
solmusdesigns:

Thank you, now I know, afronjas have cornheads , and have never fought a war cause they are verbal warriors

7 Likes

Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by solmusdesigns: 3:46pm On Mar 07, 2020
jimyjames:

Thank you, now I know, afronjas have cornheads , and have never fought a war cause

they are verbal warriors

do you need me show you what Obasanjo and Awolowo reduced your elders too during he biafra war, son i still have the pics dont let me hurt your feelings

i just want you happy so you can pay tax for the loan we took in your name hahaha
Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by jimyjames(m): 3:47pm On Mar 07, 2020
solmusdesigns:

jimmy my guy dont mind that fellow he is your ipob member and wanted to attack me.. but jimy my ipob friend why do you guys run from war and why is it that you watch us marginalize you even with the loan we are taking and you are paying, when will kanu come home to fight for you and not fear aboki dss

My friend your people are bunch of verbal warriors, go fight a civil war against the entire country like we did, then come back and we can talk

5 Likes

Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by SundayIgbanke: 3:49pm On Mar 07, 2020
[s]
solmusdesigns:

do you need me show you what Obasanjo and Awolowo reduced your elders too during he biafra war, son i still have the pics dont let me hurt your feelings

i just want you happy so you can pay tax for the loan we took in your name hahaha
[/s]
jimyjames do you want me to show you the ugly picture of the person quoting you?
Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by solmusdesigns: 3:49pm On Mar 07, 2020
jimyjames:

My friend your people are bunch of verbal warriors, go fight a civil war against the entire country like we did, the come back and we can talk

but you didnt fight a war you got conquered and now we run you like kite with a thread
Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by jimyjames(m): 3:51pm On Mar 07, 2020
solmusdesigns:

but you didnt fight a war you got conquered and now we run you like kite with a thread

Is that why , we Igbo's conquered Lagos and turned it to no mans land? At least we still have our lands

2 Likes

Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by jimyjames(m): 3:52pm On Mar 07, 2020
SundayIgbanke:
[s][/s]
jimyjames do you want me to show you the ugly picture of the person quoting you?

Don't worry I have it

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by SundayIgbanke: 3:52pm On Mar 07, 2020
[s]
solmusdesigns:

[/s]
Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by jimyjames(m): 3:53pm On Mar 07, 2020
solmusdesigns:

Is that why awolowo drank rat poison?

6 Likes

Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by solmusdesigns: 3:54pm On Mar 07, 2020
jimyjames:

Is that why , we Igbo's conquered Lagos and turned it to no mans land? At least we still have our lands

which side of lagos did your galla, okirika and lacasera selling kinsmen claim to conquer and tell us the king in the occupied area, is it oba elegushi, oba of lagos eleko, oba , iba , oniru of oniru among many others, abi which ibo is lagos governor, is it chuckwudi fashola, or nnamdi ambode lol son wake up
Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by gidgiddy: 3:54pm On Mar 07, 2020
He was the great Brigadier Okonjo of the Biafran Army. He chose to fight for his fellow Igbos when push came to shove.

I remember his daughter, Professor Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala said at Ojukwu's burial that she cooked for Biafran Soldiers during the war

8 Likes

Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by SundayIgbanke: 3:55pm On Mar 07, 2020
jimyjames:

Don't worry I have it
grin

2 Likes

Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by SundayIgbanke: 3:56pm On Mar 07, 2020
[s]
solmusdesigns:

which side of lagos did your galla, okirika and lacasera selling kinsmen claim to conquer and tell us the king in the occupied area, is it oba elegushi, oba of lagos eleko, oba , iba , oniru of oniru among many others, abi which ibo is lagos governor, is it chuckwudi fashola, or nnamdi ambode lol son wake up
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by jimyjames(m): 3:57pm On Mar 07, 2020
solmusdesigns:

Lol I will ask you the same thing about the Igbo's you conquered and the Yoruba governor in Igbo land hahah
Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by solmusdesigns: 3:58pm On Mar 07, 2020
jimyjames:

Is that why awolowo drank rat poison?

my boy, Awolowo died at 78, Ojukwu at 78, Awolowo became a lawyer and an accountant, ojukwu became a BA historian and a colonel, Awolowo trained millions of his people through free education, Ojukwu killed 3 million of his people through starvation and gun wound, Awolowo is on 100 naira note, Ojukwu finished his millionaire fathers wealth and made his family a pauper

we all know truly ojukwu took his life when femi fani kayode came back for his girlfriend bianca

1 Like

Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by solmusdesigns: 4:01pm On Mar 07, 2020
jimyjames:

Lol I will ask you the same thing about the Igbo's you conquered and the Yoruba governor in Igbo land hahah

who need a governor in shoutyeast when we can force you to serve us using western port, or make you watch us rotate presidency with our northern friend
Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by SundayIgbanke: 4:01pm On Mar 07, 2020
[s]
solmusdesigns:

who need a governor in shoutyeast when we can force you to serve us using western port, or make you watch us rotate presidency with our northern friend
[/s]
Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by SundayIgbanke: 4:01pm On Mar 07, 2020
[s]
solmusdesigns:

my boy, Awolowo died at 78, Ojukwu at 78, Awolowo became a lawyer and an accountant, ojukwu became a BA historian and a colonel, Awolowo trained millions of his people through free education, Ojukwu killed 3 million of his people through starvation and gun wound, Awolowo is on 100 naira note, Ojukwu finished his millionaire fathers wealth and made his family a pauper

we all know truly ojukwu took his life when femi fani kayode came back for his girlfriend bianca
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Prof Okonjo Was A Brigadier In The Biafran Military by jimyjames(m): 4:02pm On Mar 07, 2020
My friend why are you comparing awolowo with ojukwu, ? Compare awolowo with his rival , the great zik of Africa that's he's mate

solmusdesigns:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See The Massive Weapons Recovered From Boko Haram Warehouse (photos) / President Buhari Waives 13 Billion Tax For Air Peace / Intercontinental Prophet, Joshua Iginla Reveals God's Mind On Tinubu, Wike, Pete

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.