Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,712 members, 7,809,699 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:29 PM

20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church (27268 Views)

Prophetess Wields Gun While Praying In Tongues In Church (Video) / The Proliferation Of Unknown Tongues In Modern Gospel Music / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by chikason22(m): 3:19pm On Mar 08, 2020
[quote author=called2Bsaint post=87252948]20 Points We Can Glean from 1Corinthians 14 About Speaking in Tongues in the Church are listed below:

Point #1 (Verse 1) Prophesying is preferable because it is charitable, unlike speaking in tongues, which no man in the church understands.

Point #2 (Verse 2) By speaking in an unknown tongue you do not to speak to men, but unto God: because no man understands what you are speaking, even though you're speaking mysteries in the spirit.

Point #3 (Verses 3-4) Speaking in tongues in the church gathering is not useful to the church, because it only edifies the speaker; but the church cannot understand the words of the tongue or language. But prophesying edifies the church because through it we can speak unto men for their edification, exhortation, and comfort. The church gathering is not for speaking to God alone, but also for speaking to one another (I COR. 13:8-10). Therefore, SPEAKING IN TONGUE HAS CEASED. DON'T FOOL YOURSELF BY SPEAKING SOMETIN MEANINGLESS
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by DavidEsq(m): 3:27pm On Mar 08, 2020
Bigval5:

Why do you want to start a blind argument? Its first Corinthians 13:8-11 instead of you to acknowledge your mistake, instead you want to start up an argument...

This answers your doubt

Haba guy man. U didn't b see where i accepted the correction and even expressed my gratitude for the correction. Since u didn't see that, i doubt how correct ur analysis of thst scripture will be.
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by chikason22(m): 3:29pm On Mar 08, 2020
Some christians don't know how to read the BIBLE With full understanding. I CORINTHIANS 13:8-10 Made us to understand that speaking in tongues of known languages not those mumu meaningless abrabrabra has ceased. It was necessary when christianity was at it infancy in order to win gentiles or unbelivers to GOD. Or to preach to people in the language they will understand. But now that the gospel has moved to different parts of the earth and the bible written in different languages, speaking in tongues has ceased. Not necessary again. If u lack wisdom to understand this, pls pray to JEHOVAH to give u one. JAMES 1VS5
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by DavidEsq(m): 3:30pm On Mar 08, 2020
[quote author=chikason22 post=87268833][/quote]
Correct man. @the capital letters, very correct. When ppl speak gibberish today, deceiving themselves that they are speaking in some heavenly lingua, it makes me understand how powerful the devil is in deceiving so many ppl
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by DavidEsq(m): 3:30pm On Mar 08, 2020
chikason22:
Some christians don't know how to read the BIBLE With full understanding. I CORINTHIANS 13:8-10 Made us to understand that speaking in tongues of known languages not those mumu meaningless abrabrabra has ceased. It was necessary when christianity was at it infancy in order to win gentiles or unbelivers to GOD. Or to preach to people in the language they will understand. But now that the gospel has moved to different parts of the earth and the bible written in different languages, speaking in tongues has ceased. Not necessary again. If u lack wisdom to understand this, pls pray to JEHOVAH to give u one. JAMES 1VS5
Thumbs up
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by chikason22(m): 3:37pm On Mar 08, 2020
DavidEsq:

Thumbs up
Thanks bro. I have to correct that op notion. Speaking in tongue has ceased and prophesying will also cease. Many will run to and fro seeking to hear the word of GOD, But won't find it. That time is fast approaching.
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by Profestic: 3:50pm On Mar 08, 2020
this just junk men
when d apostle gather they were all speaking in tongues and the were able to interpret there tongues
let me talk u speaking in tongues will be meaningless if u can't interpret it
1st corin 13 14
another thing people speaking in tongues doesn't concern u corin 14 vs 2 it only God that understand it abeg stop misleading people with your post prophecy and tongues are good for Christan has far it depends on God

I beg of you please stop misleading people
speaking in tongues is not until men but until God

but prophecy is unto men to edification
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by enemyofprogress: 4:13pm On Mar 08, 2020
I always use my urohobo dialect to speak in tongues so as to impress my babes, her friends and decieve others. I have used it to chop so many things from women, boat single and married. Nigerians are do gullible when it comes to religion
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by Dollabiz: 4:16pm On Mar 08, 2020
Oh
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by Nobody: 4:21pm On Mar 08, 2020
DropsMic:
Believe this or not.. But if he speaks in tongues, he is a fake pastor.... Also if you speak in tongues, you are only deceiving yourself..

That's just the absolute fact..
If you believe otherwise then you are lost..

In Nigeria People only speak in tongues for one reason only... So people see them as "highly spiritual"... Which here is all you need to scam gullible church goers.

If you think I'm lying monitor your pastors tongues. You go see pattern

You are spiritually naive.
What is baptism of Holy Spirit?
I guess you are one of those wannabe that like to discredit anything that has to do with Christianity.
Repent now
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by GoodBoi1(m): 4:28pm On Mar 08, 2020
I was like some persons here, having doubts about speaking in tongues. I even answered altar calls for those that want to be baptised in the Holy Spirit, after much prayers by the Pastor it seemed nothing happened to me. At times in gathering I just speak in tongues but I wasn't really sure, had doubts, felt like I was just speaking rubbish and it can be done by anybody.

Until one night in a prayer gathering, I was baptised in the spirit spoke in tongues uncontrollably, it felt fluent, genuine, the energy and presence was much and unusual. Since that day I can pray in the Spirit and I know, without any doubt, that I pray in genuine tongues. I became sensitive to things of the Spirit like if someone is praying, singing in the spirit, I can feel the energy. If you are baptised in the Holy Spirit, you should know, you won't have doubts. I praise God, I have experienced the supernatural since then and I believe there is more as I grow in the faith.

1 Like

Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by peropoliet(m): 4:50pm On Mar 08, 2020
Offpoint:
I remember that year I went to a Program and the invited guest speaker after preaching gave prayer points titled "Operation you must speak in tongues"

Those who can speak were asked to step backwards and those who can't forward.
That's when the whole church started prayers that lasted almost 3 hours, preacher said everyone must speaks in tongue.

After 2hrs everyone has spoken in tongues, whom I knew some fake it o...
I was the only one left o, that was how the entired church gathered around and starts bombarding me with prayers o.

30 minutes, no signs... preacher touch me, anoint me, push me, blow me breeze... no signs.
For my mind: God which can wahala be this? pity me now, even na just 5 seconds make I speak am... abi na so demons plenty for my body reach wey entire church gather for my head for over an hour and nothing show?
God abeg pity My life.

After over an hour the preacher man was like: The devil is liar, he must release you, I can see the spirit of tongues in you.
Me in my mind "You're right sir, I speak 7 languages"

After another 20 Minutes, preacher was like: See me after service.

Another questioning and prayers sessions after service o.

Tongues are mostly what Nigerians use to cover up when they ran out prayer points.

I've always question the logic of speaking a language nobody understands in church, a language not even you the speaker understands.... then what are you telling God when even you yourself don't understand?

I think the tongue of the Pentecostal Day was the only thing I found reasonable, what Nigerians are speaking is not tongues

I stopped taking them serious when I realized those who speaks in tongues, all of them individually all have one pattern they speak... you can't be telling God sake things since time immemorial.

Prayer for healing: oshe prapra robototo Mali kakobuyaya Toire

Prayer for protection: oshe prapra robototo Mali lukakukakabuyaya Toire

Prayer for Devine blessings: oshe prapra robototo Mali lukakukakabuyaya Toire

All prayer points:
oshe prapra robototo Mali lukakukakabuyaya Toire

seriously?

Funny part some said they speak in tongues to confuse the devilgrin
Devil who was once an heavenly citizen told them he doesn't understand heavenly tonguesgrin
you have not received the holy spirit when he comes even your mind and flesh can not withstand him
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by tayot1(m): 4:52pm On Mar 08, 2020
grin About the name, did you at some point lived around Ajao estate-7&8- Mafoluku in the 90s?

Shibaraba:
Ever wondered where my name came from? My own be say when you speak Interpret.else na jargons and I'll just walk out
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by DropsMic(m): 5:07pm On Mar 08, 2020
Batam:

You are spiritually naive.
What is baptism of Holy Spirit?
I guess you are one of those wannabe that like to discredit anything that has to do with Christianity.
Repent now

Continue deceiving yourself then. Continue sinning against the holy spirit.. It's your life, Not mine.
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by Mike4S: 5:48pm On Mar 08, 2020
It is true that the bible says that if you are not a man of the spirit you cannot understand the spirit things. Even with this, I kept asking myself if speaking in tongue is something one can just start anytime he wants it. I'm asking this because I've been in a church where the person at the altar said that everybody should pray in tongue. I did not pray because I can't fake.
Another thing that is confusing me is the praying tongue that was recorded in the Acts of the Apostle that I've never encountered. The people prayed in the tongue that listeners understood but I'm yet to see where I understand one
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by Obiwank: 6:53pm On Mar 08, 2020
AQUAMAN247:
Speaking in tongues is simply speaking in a language one has not learned. With the gift of the Holy Spirit, you can speak in an unknown tongue(language). How ever, if there’s no one there who can understand the language spoken, it’s like you are speaking into the air.
That’s why the apostles, having been commissioned to go preach the gospel to the ends of the earth, though were originally Jews and could speak just one language, could speak other tongues (earthly human language) of other tribes of the different ethnic groups who had gone to attend the festival in Jerusalem at the time. Hence the people heard the apostles speaking in their own respective native languages. This is evidenced here in (acts 2:5-12)
5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. 6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,[b] 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” 12 Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”
Review this and compare to our so called modern day speaking in tongues.

Completely agree with you. I strongly believe that the practical rationale for speaking in other tongues was and still remains for the propagation of faith.

I have heard an unverified story that it happened recently where a speech was delivered in an international conference and each attendee for some reason heard directly in their own language even though all the translation arrangements were made. As the story goes, it was not noticed by the organizers until people starting commenting at the end of that particular speech why their own language was chosen by the speaker and also expressed surprise that the speaker has native fluency in their language. Now, if this is true would represent actual speaking in other tongues vs. the noise in churches today.
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by Nobody: 6:58pm On Mar 08, 2020
DropsMic:

Continue deceiving yourself then. Continue sinning against the holy spirit.. It's your life, Not mine.
You lack understanding of the word of God
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by Youngsage: 7:06pm On Mar 08, 2020
DropsMic:

Has anyone ever interpreted your 'tongues'?
If your answer is no then you are a fake minister

10. Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning.

11. If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and he is a foreigner to me.

12. So it is with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.

13. For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says.

Well said, succinctly expressed!!!
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by Youngsage: 7:22pm On Mar 08, 2020
Tobechuckwu:

Now, we Christian speak in tongues, the Bible says we speak to God.

Lol.

Let's be sincere, most of y'all have been brainwashed. Honestly.

The tongues you speak, do you really think it has any meaning?
It's simple psychology, the tongue speaking has become a part of you and you tend to attribute whatever meaning to it simply because of repeated engagement in it.

It has no spiritual connotation. If you want to pray, pray.
Don't confuse praying, with the so called speaking in tongues.
How many Christians even know how to test spirits? You think every spirit that performs 'miracles' is of God? Remember Moses and the magicians.
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by DAVE5(m): 7:29pm On Mar 08, 2020
pressplay411:

May be if you stayed within context, your points will be well received.
True, the problem of most believers is lack of personal time with God, His Word and a relationship with the Holy spirit rather than just swallowing hook line and sinker every thing their pastors preach to them, even when it has been tainted with the pastor's personal motives.
The Bereans are a typical example in the scriptures. Even the Apostle Paul's teachings were verified before they accepted them.

I was just wondering what you were driving at.

I learnt one very important thing from your message which is

Even apostle Paul's teaching were verified before they accepted them

Very salient point

These days; one man stands on a pulpit, says anything he likes and the congregation accept like he's all knowing cos he's a pastor

I think there's a Bible verse that says something like we should test spirit that manifest so we are sure its actually of God, can't remember exactly how it was written though but it's interpretation is something like I wrote

1 Like

Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by bereto(m): 8:35pm On Mar 08, 2020
I once attended a program from full gospel business men and the founder of Austin laz was preaching in English and a woman who only understood urhobo heard him clearly, I've never experienced that again but that is called speaking in tongues
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by GoodBoi1(m): 8:39pm On Mar 08, 2020
Jude 1:20
But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit,

Praying in tongues is one of the ways you edify yourself and it is isn't necessary that you understand what you say, the communication is in the spirit. In 1st Cor 14, Apostle Paul did not condemn speaking/praying in tongues, he just wanted order in the Christian gathering. I believe there is no problem if a church has a safe space and time when everyone is allowed to exercise their spiritual gifts as far as order is still maintained in the church else pastor can be preaching and someone in the congregation will just start prophesying or praying in tongues.
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by pressplay411(m): 8:43pm On Mar 08, 2020
DAVE5:

I learnt one very important thing from your message which is

Even apostle Paul's teaching were berries before they accepted them

Very salient point

These days; one man stands on a pulpit, says anything he likes and the congregation accept like he's all knowing cos he's a pastor

I think there's a Bible verse that says something like we should test spirit that manifest so we are sure its actually of God, can't remember exactly how it was written though but it's interpretation is something like I wrote

Yes. The Bereans Acts 17:10-11
And as you pointed out, we are warned to test spirits to avoid following false doctrines. John 4:1-3
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
2 By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God,
3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.

1 Like

Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by DAVE5(m): 9:01pm On Mar 08, 2020
pressplay411:

Yes. The Bereans Acts 17:10-11
And as you pointed out, we are warned to test spirits to avoid following false doctrines. John 4:1-3
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
2 By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God,
3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.

Thanks... Always remembered that but never remembered where in the Bible I came across it

Made a typo error though

berries meant to say verified
Phone palava
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by Mgada1(m): 8:18am On Mar 09, 2020
Truth! Noisemakers
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by Kobojunkie: 4:29am On May 16, 2020
called2Bsaint:
20 Points We Can Glean from 1Corinthians 14 About Speaking in Tongues in the Church are listed below:
Point #19 (Verse 30-33, 40) Orderliness should be maintained in Christian meetings.
Orderliness should be maintained in Christian meetings? Really?
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by Kobojunkie: 6:56pm On May 16, 2020
heywhya:
I can see the ignorance of the masses about tongue and Prophecy.
Can you all do an in depth study of the book of 1Cor 14 and ask Holy Spirit to explain to you.
If you are a believer and you don't pray in Spirit, you are short changing yourself.
Since you admit to having no clue what you say when you are supposedly praying in Spirit, how do you know what to expect?
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by RemarkableMind: 5:42pm On May 24, 2020
Incantations are deep words. If you listen, you will understand it. I am a Yoruba man, no incantation is meaningless in in Babalawo's dairy; they have have book of incantations you can learn from, because it's legible.
Now, God is not the author of confusion! His way is plain and understanding. God bless you all!

Professorcplus:
What is the difference between the incantations of babalawo and speaking in tongues of Christian all in the name of talking to gods. Same ni. The difference is just packaging.

Modified
There is this particular church I won't mention name but if by chance you came across them, they don't pray in men's language. The prayers must be in tongues. No prayer point o. 2hours speaking in tongue stretch. I was invited to their meeting some years back and after the sermon I was asked if I could speak in the Spirit. I replied once in a while. The guys was furious saying its meant to be always. So he said by the time he's done with me I would speak.

Okay, let watch and see. He held my hands firmly and he began. I just kept quite and he continue with some gibberish. At a point I start giving the sound some funny meaning like Bobo sote Mafo wobe comin. Before I knew it, my breath increases, my lip wanted to patted ways; a sound is about to be realised. He told me it is now speak it. I couldn't hold myself again. Finally, I released the sound full of laughter grin. I laugh sote eye dey push me.
Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by Nobody: 4:28pm On May 31, 2020
DropsMic:
Believe this or not.. But if he speaks in tongues, he is a fake pastor.... Also if you speak in tongues, you are only deceiving yourself..

That's just the absolute fact..
If you believe otherwise then you are lost..

In Nigeria People only speak in tongues for one reason only... So people see them as "highly spiritual"... Which here is all you need to scam gullible church goers.

If you think I'm lying monitor your pastors tongues. You go see pattern

Bro You are not in the right position to judge anyone.
In Act 2:1-7 expounds that Speaking in tongues comes only when you are filled with the Holy Spirit.
Forget about those people who forges theirs because God is in position to judge not you.

Re: 20 Points From 1 Corinthians 14 About Speaking In Tongues In The Church by Kobojunkie: 4:31pm On May 31, 2020
RemarkableMind:
Incantations are deep words. If you listen, you will understand it. I am a Yoruba man, no incantation is meaningless in in Babalawo's dairy; they have have book of incantations you can learn from, because it's legible.
Now, God is not the author of confusion! His way is plain and understanding. God bless you all!

grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Melchisedec - Who Was This Man? / Atheist Society Of Nigeria Registers As A Corporate Body, Petitions MDCN / Is Marriage Restitution For Men With 2 Or More Wives Actually Scriptural?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.