Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,688 members, 7,809,604 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:52 AM

Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam - Sports (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam (46337 Views)

Super Eagles Eat Fufu & Pounded Yam Before Matches - Seun Kuti (Video) / Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism / ‘Ewure Oshi’ - Anthony Joshua To Iphone 8 Owners ‘asking Him For Favors’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Digmygold: 12:40am On Mar 11, 2020
greencard:
he looks like you grin

Like your papa grin
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Whizzyasqi: 6:07am On Mar 11, 2020
So proud of nigg#
Thumbs Up Man
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Nobody: 6:30am On Mar 11, 2020
Witcher:
If ignos have what Yoruba have in Nigeria they will not let anyone sleep. The Yoruba people are just Awesome
And what exactly does the Yorubas have?
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Nobody: 6:32am On Mar 11, 2020
Chris2863:
As if yorubas sabi cook Egusi or pound yam�
He has actually been eating the one cooked by someone definitely not Yoruba
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Kennyswag: 8:41am On Mar 11, 2020
Anambralstson:

Loud mouth tribe, No tribe can compete with Igbos in sports in Nigeria
which sport are you talking about? go and check about henry akinwade.
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Kennyswag: 9:22am On Mar 11, 2020
Ngozi123:

Don't mind them. I don't know why it's so hard for them to appreciate Igbo cuisine.
what the f is ofe akwu?

1 Like

Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by ayyoshert: 11:19am On Mar 11, 2020
Ngozi123:

Yes, it is. How do you say "melon" in Igbo and how do you say "melon" in Yoruba?
We call it Eede in Ekiti
Some others call it Oosiki i guess Ijebu.
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by ayyoshert: 11:25am On Mar 11, 2020
Gabriel004:
Egunsi is a Yoruba word for it. Even Hausas eat egunsi.

Yoruba calls it Efo elegunsi
Igbo calls ofe egunsi
Hausa calls it Miyan gushi.

Everyone prepares it differently. You people do your own with little oil and pepper. Yoruba prepare their own with lots of oil and little more paper cos it will make them spit if pepper not added properly.

I don't know how hausas prepare theirs.

So it is not igbo soup.

For real i don't know what egusi means in Yoruba but the sub tribes have their dialectical names for it in Ekiti we call it Eede and Ijebu i think call it Ooshiki. I even remember my late grand mother whenever she came visiting brings one special one that is roasted and eaten like groundnuts, i remember she brings another type very tiny compared to the regular one. It will be funny for any tribe to lay any claim to it, this ia an African plant that grows everywhere the only point could only be the mode of cooking preparation.
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by gregyboy(m): 12:10pm On Mar 11, 2020
Ngozi123:

Okay, so you don't call it egusi soup?

Yea, we calk it melon soup or uwomwenogi in native dialect

Don't ever call it igbo soup or yoruba ever

Pounded and egusi is not just a native soup to benins it is a religious food

Check my nairaland post on food crops in africa before you mislead yourself

https://www.nairaland.com/5678205/what-original-food-crops-africa
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by gregyboy(m): 12:21pm On Mar 11, 2020
femi4:
minority sef dey lay claim to food.

See ozour

Fool so because we are minorites we wont claim what originally belongs to us

You majourity that is eating our religious delicacy aint you ashamed

You were our red coral beads
Your women wear our bead hair dress

You be ashamed majourity fool
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by gregyboy(m): 12:27pm On Mar 11, 2020
Ngozi123:

The guy is saying that his favourite meal is pounded yam and egusi soup, which is an igbo dish and you're saying this.

Just be proud of your people without mentioning Igbos, ok?

Shut the Bleep up,

Igbo should never lay any claim to any cultural affiliation to nigeria before the arrival of the britsh the igbos were nothing

The igbos borrowed several cultures to form thiers from edos and yorubas

The egusi you mentioned is an edo delicacy introduced to the yorubas through conquest
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by gregyboy(m): 12:37pm On Mar 11, 2020
Stevecovey:

my point exactly. it belongs to several people. And ewedu is oyo food. Every town has their local delicacy. In my village our major local meal is ekuru and eko (what Southsoutherners call agidi), not ewedu, even though all Yorubas eat it. And when u go to ijeshaland u'll see the pounding of yam from morning to evening everywhere. Same way u see amala everywhere in ibadan and oyo town.

You shouldn't talk factually about things u know nothing about.

I have done my research

Have you done yours is the question

You can never remove edo cultral impact from yorubas so you can never remove Portuguese
Influence on nigeria likewise the British impact

The Portuguese had brought egusi plant and yam to africa and traded with the locals one of the people who contact with the Portuguese are the binis and not igbo or yourbas

The plant egusi is in thesame family with watermelon which is also foreign to africa cs

https://www.nairaland.com/5678205/what-original-food-crops-africa

Follow my link and do your research before you spill trash
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by gregyboy(m): 12:40pm On Mar 11, 2020
geosegun:

Liar, @gregyboy, you have started again, abi. Egusi, ishapa (Veg) and pounded Yam is traditional Ekiti and Ijesha food. How is Benin if Yesterday, that the Yoruba civilised be the owner?...what's wrong with young men of nowadays?

You fool even nigeria know those places you mentioned benin had its territorial control over them

I bet those yoruba people had meant the Portuguese who had brought egusi plant to africa
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by gregyboy(m): 1:08pm On Mar 11, 2020
Toluobaeko11:

Lol! I'm from Iju in Akure north local government of Ondo state. Our traditional food is Pounded yam and Egusi mixed with ishapa soup. If you taste my grandmother Egusi soup with a lap of grasscutter, you'll deny your ancestral background ASAP.
Follow me, make I flex you with IYAN & Egusi(ishapa) soup with a semi-cold palm wine and laps of Oya(grasscutter). Then you'll know that nkan tó n be léyìn èfà, ó ju èje lo (what is after six is more than seven)������

And this is because of edo influence in ondo

I keep telling people that egusi and pounded yam is edo food the only people who share that sane delicacy would be people who edo had influence on the rest borrowed it
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Shiver99: 3:05pm On Mar 11, 2020
gregyboy:

Shut the Bleep up,

Igbo should never lay any claim to any cultural affiliation to nigeria before the arrival of the britsh the igbos were nothing

The egusi you mentioned is an edo delicacy introduced to the yorubas through conquest

Chai, so when people are talking, non-entities will start yapping.

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen you try to steal Igbo culture. Igbo are very different from your kind; just stay in your lane and stop forcefully attaching to them.

1 Like

Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Probz(m): 1:33am On Mar 12, 2020
Ngozi123:

Tell them cool.

I’d normally be inclined to agree but Ondo and Ekiti people differ in this poundo-egusi sense. Pounded yam and Ekiti are like Igbos and crayfish.

But then Ondo and Ekiti people are the Igbos of yorubaland.
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Ngozi123(f): 4:13pm On Mar 12, 2020
gregyboy:

Shut the Bleep up,

If it's edo then why do Yorubas, and edo people for that matter, call it by an igbo name? Do you see how you expose yourselves cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by gregyboy(m): 9:07pm On Mar 12, 2020
Ngozi123:

If it's edo then why do Yorubas, and edo people for that matter, call it by an igbo name? Do you see how you expose yourselves cheesy

We dont call it egusi we call it melon soup" here in edo
Or the native name ogi
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by royrit: 4:24pm On Mar 13, 2020
Enroll for our event planning and management class today
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by MikoB: 11:59am On Mar 29, 2020
Anambralstson:

Can you show me evidence of Hide carrying drugs? , I believe you forgotten Yoruba man that beheaded British army, may of your kinsmen are more in Britain prisons than Igbo

I am not a tribal bigot, I am just just happy for Joshua for identifying with his root, if Joshua were to be an igbo man I would have done the same, after all we are all black.
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by chiboy1116: 1:07pm On Mar 29, 2020
Witcher:
If ignos have what Yoruba have in Nigeria they will not let anyone sleep. The Yoruba people are just Awesome
tribal bigot
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by CryptoBo: 9:58am On Mar 30, 2020
I really like Anthony Joshua as an athlete, I always follow his fights and achievements.
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Opperwezen(m): 3:39pm On Jun 10, 2020
smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Lionel Messi Is Leaving Barcelona / 200 Police Officers To Guard Diego Maradona's Burial Site To Stop Grave Robbers / Ronaldo Wants To Pay For Damage Caused By Bodyguard Crashing His Bugatti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.