Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,469 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:07 AM

Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam - Sports (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam (46336 Views)

Super Eagles Eat Fufu & Pounded Yam Before Matches - Seun Kuti (Video) / Black Lives Speech: Anthony Joshua Hits Back At Criticism / ‘Ewure Oshi’ - Anthony Joshua To Iphone 8 Owners ‘asking Him For Favors’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Anambralstson: 2:57pm On Mar 10, 2020
Anthony should have called Efo Elegusi, or Amala and Ewedu, why Egusi soup Igbo soup

2 Likes

Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by unbitchable(m): 2:59pm On Mar 10, 2020
Ngozi123:

My ancestors ate coco yam and cassava. Did your ancestors ever eat egusi? If so, why do they call it by an Igbo name?

If your ancestors were eating their own version of egusi soup before Igbo people were then why didn't they give it a name? Why are they going by its Igbo name? Are Yoruba people not more numerous and influential than Igbos in Nigeria? Then why are they using an Igbo name for their ancestral dish?

Stop trying to appropriate Igbo cuisine.

true that. your ancestors ate roasted yam being that they lived largely in the bush before they met civilization. however, i'd forgive your ignorance borne out of illiteracy to have appropriated egusi to the igbo . Egusi melon is traditionally a West African delicacy which is not exclusive to any tribe.
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Anambralstson: 3:01pm On Mar 10, 2020
greencard:
bros plz stop spamming the thread with this unknown personality , why are you forcing him down our throat?

We no know be say , we no know am

With femi olaseni we stand ...

Biko gerraarehere with your hurbat mall grin. We no buy grin
You don't know him because you are Indomi generation, I am forcing you to know what ever you are making noise today Igbo man has accomplished it years back

Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Kokoebapluse(m): 3:02pm On Mar 10, 2020
Aj Omo wa, you done chop pepper now your head dey hot, awaleyin jare
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by BULLIONVAN4(m): 3:13pm On Mar 10, 2020
Dareal90s:

Lol, y d cry?

Egusi is an African word, I showed u evidence u ar still crying, am I d one that developed google translator? Your father nd ur great grandfather lied to u, Egusi isn't an Igbo word, deal with it.

Yoruba's have a word called Asiri, Ijaw has d word too nd one other tribe nd it means same thing, Igbo also av this word but it means d negative of what it is from other tribe. So ar u telling me Asiri belongs to Igbo alone or to Yoruba or Ijaw? Broda wey mumu
Lol, there's nothing like "cry" in this just stating the fact.

yes, we have the word "asiri" which means "gossip" i don't know what it means in either yoruba, ijaw, efik or ibibio

just as the Igbos have "Ngozi" which means blessing and another country that have Ngozi as a name of a town in it.

*MODIFIED* about the word ASIRI[/HR]

the was gotten from two differnt Igbo words,
ha-siri(for plural)means "they said"
a-siri means "it was said"
so, all these brought about the wor
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Dareal90s(m): 3:20pm On Mar 10, 2020
Anambralstson:

You guys should stop fooling yourselves, Igbos owns Egusi soup, stop twisting history to suit your tribe, what Yoruba cook is tasteless Efo Elegusi soup
Lol, that igbobsoup that looks like baby's poop, white like a child battling with cough shit. U sef knw, when u bring out Yoruba food nd Igbo food in party d masses go for Yoruba. No b ordinary eye we take be party lover.

1 Like

Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Dareal90s(m): 3:21pm On Mar 10, 2020
BULLIONVAN4:
Lol, there's nothing like "cry" in this just stating the fact.

yes, we have the word "asiri" which means "gossip" i don't know what it means in either yoruba, ijaw, efik or ibibio

just as the Igbos have "Ngozi" which means blessing and another country that have Ngozi as a name of a town in it.
You've answered ur question yourself
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by greencard: 3:21pm On Mar 10, 2020
Anambralstson:

You don't know him because you are Indomi generation, I am forcing you to know what ever you are making noise today Igbo man has accomplished it years back
. Noo you are forcing it down our throats and we are not having him for dinner...ANTHONY JOSHUA taste better grin

You should update/upgrade your kitchen..stop drinking old soup

1 Like

Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by BULLIONVAN4(m): 3:32pm On Mar 10, 2020
Dareal90s:

You've answered ur question yourself
Check again, I modified it.

But that has not, in anyway answered my question.

tell me what those items mean and their yoruba local names.
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Anambralstson: 3:40pm On Mar 10, 2020
Dareal90s:

Lol, that igbobsoup that looks like baby's poop, white like a child battling with cough shit. U sef knw, when u bring out Yoruba food nd Igbo food in party d masses go for Yoruba. No b ordinary eye we take be party lover.
Igbo foods are favorite to other tribes, you hardly see Yoruba food outside Yoruba states, Igbo foods are in every restaurants in all states and beyond shore's of Nigeria. Even in Lagos Yorubas prefer Igbo foods than the rubbish your people are cooking

3 Likes

Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by yommen: 3:49pm On Mar 10, 2020
Officialgarri:
Yoruba Amaka

There is nothing like in Yoruba abeg!!!

2 Likes

Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Wizikal(m): 4:06pm On Mar 10, 2020
So much love you AJ The proud Yoruba star!������❤️�
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Basic123: 4:13pm On Mar 10, 2020
Witcher:
If ignos have what Yoruba have in Nigeria they will not let anyone sleep. The Yoruba people are just Awesome
I tell you

I always imagine this!

2 Likes

Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by gazilion: 4:33pm On Mar 10, 2020
Witcher:
If ignos have what Yoruba have in Nigeria they will not let anyone sleep. The Yoruba people are just Awesome

Stop Stoking the fire of trouble. You are too beautiful for this!!

Be De-tribalised in Jesus name.
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by holicupp(m): 4:46pm On Mar 10, 2020
OlawaleBammie:

Lol, funny guy u re, why did u ask??

Am a proud yoruba, a proud Afonja

confirmed ewedurian grin

the way u are replying that my tribe girl without throwing insult at her baffles me and I was tempted to ask
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by virginchaser(m): 4:53pm On Mar 10, 2020
His speech almost brought me to tears.

1 Like

Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Tmb78(m): 4:58pm On Mar 10, 2020
holicupp:

the way u are replying that my tribe girl without insult throwing insult at her baffles me and I was tempted to ask
You are making it sound like only the yorubas that answer with insults here.
But you know you igbos hurl insults too as if you it's going out of fashion even without provocation at times.
It's both ways,don't make it one sided.
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by MikoB: 5:00pm On Mar 10, 2020
Anambralstson:

Can you show me evidence of Hide carrying drugs? , I believe you forgotten Yoruba man that beheaded British army, may of your kinsmen are more in Britain prisons than Igbo
You can do the research yourself, it is all over the Internet, he even went to prison for it
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Tmb78(m): 5:04pm On Mar 10, 2020
Armaggedon:
what's your point?
Check very well sir
I wrote in English.
I think my point is pretty clear.
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by atiku07(m): 5:08pm On Mar 10, 2020
Ngozi123:

Pounded yam is ji asuru asu in Igbo. We don't call it iyan, that's a yoruba word. But egusi is an Igbo word. What does egusi mean in Yoruba?

it is called oshiki

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by holicupp(m): 5:08pm On Mar 10, 2020
Tmb78:
You are making it sound like only the yorubas that answer with insults here.
But you know you igbos hurl insults too as if you it's going out of fashion even without provocation at times.
It's both ways,don't make it one sided.

yea u are right my apology
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Yemi7up: 5:21pm On Mar 10, 2020
Ogilinsaka:
He didn't know or have any tangible thing to say at an event as this hence the blabbing about Egusi and pounded yam..
M U M U.
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Ogilinsaka: 5:26pm On Mar 10, 2020
Yemi7up:
M U M U.

Your hungry generation M U M U
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by Tmb78(m): 5:31pm On Mar 10, 2020
holicupp:

yea u are right my apology
Yeah.It's all good.

1 Like

Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by goodnessme1(f): 5:34pm On Mar 10, 2020
OlawaleBammie:

And it wil b better if u stop ur bitterness against my folks as well tongue
Your folks are the ones bitter against us.
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by OlawaleBammie: 5:35pm On Mar 10, 2020
holicupp:

the way u are replying that my tribe girl without throwing insult at her baffles me and I was tempted to ask

Ahh, wen am not mad, nawa o.

how would i b throwing jabs wen she didn't attack me first? who in his right senses would do dat??
naaahh am not like dat, i dont liv a life of grudges and bitterness, am not a political or tribal bigot,

i dont tink i wil ever find mysef in dat position where me and someone wil b discussing plainly and thoroughly den i would just switch to insulting the person with no reason.

besides, talking to someone and getting response back from dat person should b a pleasure to u cus he sees u as someone who is worth wasting tym on.

this life too easy oo bro

1 Like

Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by eyinola: 5:35pm On Mar 10, 2020
Anambralstson:

A well known personality don't need google search,98% of people here don't know him ,u people like to be prooving unnecessary points, Yoruba dominates, people rulling d music industry for years has been wizkid,Davido,tiwa savage,olamide and of recent nairamarley, zlatan....Yoruba to d world
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by OlawaleBammie: 5:37pm On Mar 10, 2020
goodnessme1:
Your folks are the ones bitter against us.

Like seriously i dont know why tribalism has eaten deep into both set of folks, am not exonerating any tribe here.

Its wen i joined nairaland dat i discovered this heinous act of our generation. and if u tink about it so deep u wil realise dat its not worth it

And one tin i notice is dat, majority of people throwing jabs online are handicapped in real world, infact dem b water.

many are doin dat to amass likes, and attention here.

weneva i come across yoruba and ibos throwing blows at demselves below the belt level here on nairaland i always burst into lafter, why?? i careless

@ goodnessme1 this is wat i meant to type
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by goodnessme1(f): 5:43pm On Mar 10, 2020
OlawaleBammie:

Like seriously i dont know why tribalism
You know is true but Won't admit it.
Re: Commonwealth Speech: Anthony Joshua Hails Yoruba, Egusi Soup, Pounded Yam by OlawaleBammie: 5:46pm On Mar 10, 2020
goodnessme1:
You know is true but Won't admit it.

You guys are throwing it at each other na but i dont know why.
And they called themselves the so called leaders of tomorrow

scroll up a little, i just modified what u quoted

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Noussair Mazraoui Breaks His Fast On The Pitch / Lionel Messi Is Leaving Barcelona / 200 Police Officers To Guard Diego Maradona's Burial Site To Stop Grave Robbers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.