Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,319 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Money Matters In Marriage: Does The Husband Own His Wife's Money? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Money Matters In Marriage: Does The Husband Own His Wife's Money? (4194 Views)

I Gave My Wife Money For Abortion / Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? / Sex Before Marriage Does It Help? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Money Matters In Marriage: Does The Husband Own His Wife's Money? by oada: 8:01am On Dec 22, 2010
Hello everybody. I would want to have other opinions from both men and women on the topic above. I have heard the saying that a man owns his wife and therefore also owns her money and has the final say on finance in the home, what do you think?

Is this right? what does the Bible say about this? anybody know?
Re: Money Matters In Marriage: Does The Husband Own His Wife's Money? by softgirl1: 9:04am On Dec 22, 2010
Lazy man beta take ur eyes off ur wife's money and work hard for ur own tongue
Re: Money Matters In Marriage: Does The Husband Own His Wife's Money? by oada: 9:13am On Dec 22, 2010
@soft girl, i am not a man.
Re: Money Matters In Marriage: Does The Husband Own His Wife's Money? by ifyalways(f): 9:20am On Dec 22, 2010
oada:

Hello everybody. I would want to have other opinions from both men and women on the topic above. I have heard the saying that a man owns his wife and therefore also [b]owns her money [/b]and has the final say on finance in the home, what do you think?

Is this right? what does the Bible say about this? anybody know?
@Bolded,laughing in strange tongues.
My money is mine,his is his BUT we have a collective purse,once i've paid my dues as a wife for the family upkeep,the rest is mine to blow as i want.Same for him.
Re: Money Matters In Marriage: Does The Husband Own His Wife's Money? by harakiri(m): 3:11pm On Dec 22, 2010
@Poster

Women usually say what is his is hers and what is hers is his BUT reality remains that she keeps hers and his and he has nothing.
Re: Money Matters In Marriage: Does The Husband Own His Wife's Money? by mutter(f): 3:38pm On Dec 22, 2010
Money is one of the major issues in a marriage.
In some cases the mans money is enough for him and the woman`s money is enough for her. The issue is who pays for the kid`s.
I think that the logical thing is that the spouse that is more capable should determine how the money is spent or saved. Sometimes it may be the wife.
while my husband is almost running our family like a venture- accounts to the last penny I am more careless with money.
At a stage he wanted me to make written accounts of everything I bought
that was just too much for me.
Now we have reached a compromise. We have agreed on how much I should save from my money monthly, what bills I pay and what I do with the rest is okay. I only give him the bills that are on the high side.

1 Like

Re: Money Matters In Marriage: Does The Husband Own His Wife's Money? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Dec 22, 2010
@poster
the fact that some people out there think like:"a man owns his wife after marriage" is the real problem here. if anyone wants to talk about ownership then husbands and wives own EACH OTHER!!!!
the minute someone believes that they own women, like a goat bought from the market, is the moment they sincerely failed in life. . . . . . . . . .and it would be understandable that this same ignoramus would view whatever that "goat" owns as his.

as for your question about what the bible says about it, if you had any KNOWLEDGE of the bible, you would know that we can find a plausible positive verse for any stupidity out there, whether it be Inbreeding, PEDOPHILIA, MURDER, despoil, THEFT, SPOUSAL/CHILD ABUSE etc etc so i suggest you keep the your bible out of it and use your BRAIN instead into deciding whats right or wrong for you. if you cant decide for yourself in such a simple matter then i would understand why you would need a MAN to take care of issues in marriage as the one you stated.
Re: Money Matters In Marriage: Does The Husband Own His Wife's Money? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Dec 23, 2010
op,ur answer lies in MRbrownJay's reply!!
Re: Money Matters In Marriage: Does The Husband Own His Wife's Money? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Dec 23, 2010
op,ur answer lies in MRbrownJay's post!!
Re: Money Matters In Marriage: Does The Husband Own His Wife's Money? by raphealolami(m): 2:18pm On Apr 22, 2013
Considering the bible, you are supposed to be is assistant. If he needs from yours to achieve a reasonable goal please give with no thinking twice. As long as you both has taken your time to analyze what he wants to use the money for. I believe in three "P"s in marriage PRAY together, PLAN together and PLAY together. If these things are right you won't have any reason to know who owns the money. If the house is not in order that when you will be saying MY money, MY car, MY child, MY sponge and all other MYs that exists. Am not against you both having a purse for general use and personal stuffs, but the money belongs to both of you and you spend it together. If the house is in order, even if you buy personal stuffs like pants, bras and stuff; its still fun to tell him and show it to him if he really likes it and this applies to him too.
So if the word of "MY" is getting in. Its either you are selfish or you have a private project which you want to keep from your husband. You have to submit though but you must be sure both of you love each other sincerely. And with open heart. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

From A Distressed Wife, Pls Advice! / Mummies On Nairaland, Be Mindful Of The Daycare Centers U Enroll Ur Babies / I Am Very Very Disturbed,please Help,my Wife Is Hiv+

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.