Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

What Is The Best Way To Treat People Who Treat You Badly - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Is The Best Way To Treat People Who Treat You Badly (1371 Views)

Men Will Treat You Base On How You Portray Yourself, / What About Women Who Treat Men badly? In / People who treat their spouses badly don't know they lock heaven over themselves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Best Way To Treat People Who Treat You Badly by sotherefore: 10:37am On Mar 16, 2020
We all have that one person that seems to exhibit bad behavior towards you so as to make you feel inferior or just to bring down your self esteem..it could be in school...social gatherings or even church ....it could come from a friend...cousins..and MOST IMPORTANTLY IT COULD COME FROM THE OPPOSITE SEX...........how should we treat them.....should we just ignore them let them treat us as they like ? ...how should we handle it when is from the opposite sex....do you have similar experience ? How did you handle it ?.....share your contribution lets learn from each other...
Re: What Is The Best Way To Treat People Who Treat You Badly by cRobo: 10:42am On Mar 16, 2020
Treat them like I do
Re: What Is The Best Way To Treat People Who Treat You Badly by Humanoid01(m): 10:57am On Mar 16, 2020
Don't let people change you. If you react negatively to a negative treatment, you're giving those people what they want and as such, they're winning. I believe that things like this happen to us so that certain characters can be built.

You can't determine what happens to you, but you can determine the outcome by how you react. To me, the best is to ignore those people and use what they throw at you to build your character, understand that the problem is not you, but them.

A lot of people have committed crimes because they had to react negatively (with anger) to a bad treatment. Of course, they're not at fault but the law doesn't see that, a crime is a crime whether or not the offender was the first to be attacked.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Best Way To Treat People Who Treat You Badly by Sexyliciousbri: 10:58am On Mar 16, 2020
If someone treats you badly then better be away from that person,as you don't deserve negative behaviour. There is something called self respect, it's not that the person who ill treated you is bad,its because your self respect is more important than that person.

You can't change anyone, you can only change yourself. Always better to keep away from such individual as you deserve to be treated well and respected and nothing at the cost of your self respect.

Don't take shit from anyone,if you feel so,change your path,never to mingle with that individual. You will find hundreds who will be good with you… and love you for what you are.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Best Way To Treat People Who Treat You Badly by AfroKnight: 11:56am On Mar 16, 2020
You must not keep silent cos some people would take your silence as fear or weakness.

Tell them what you don’t like. If they continue, then you know it’s definitely deliberate. Now you can take further steps to end the abuse.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Way To Treat People Who Treat You Badly by Nobody: 12:01pm On Mar 16, 2020
Ignore them big time like they don't even exist.
Blank them.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Treat People Who Treat You Badly by XhosaNostra(f): 12:07pm On Mar 16, 2020
WHAT? There's no such person in my life because I don't have a problem severing ties or being a bìtch back.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Best Way To Treat People Who Treat You Badly by Pascopele: 12:10pm On Mar 16, 2020
Girls take a moment to thank and appreciate all those guys you dated in high school. They loved you with no makeup, bald heads, short natural hair, sometimes even oversized uniforms and shapeless bags.
That was one true love♥

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Way To Treat People Who Treat You Badly by Leezah(f): 12:14pm On Mar 16, 2020
cheesy
Unfortunately all of us are capable of allowing people to treat us badly. Accepting poor treatment from someone can seem obvious to everyone else but you might be blind to the way you are allowing a person to treat you. Sometimes you might know someone doesn’t value you but you still allow yourself to accept the bad treatment, hoping things may change in the future.

Why do we do this? There are all sorts of reasons. You might really love that person. Telling your child “no” could seem impossible to you. You might be so in love with your partner that you’d rather be with them and accept bad treatment than walk away. You may feel like you are indebted to your friend simply because you have shared such a long history of friendship together. Perhaps you struggle with guilt due to standing up for yourself. You might know the person is genuinely a good person and you are hoping they will suddenly wake up, realize how they have been acting and start treating you with the respect you deserve.

The good news is you can change the dynamic of your relationship with that person. You can stop accepting bad treatment from someone and there is even a chance that your relationship with that person can improve as well. You can recognize the behaviors that you are responsible for such as your own and acknowledge behaviors that are out of your control.

1. Accept it is not your responsibility to make others feel good. I’m a naturally empathetic person. I genuinely want others to be happy and to see the best things occur for my loved ones. There’s nothing wrong with having empathy but often times, you might risk taking responsibility for other people’s emotions. When you see your friend is upset, you feel bad and believe it is your duty to make them feel better. If a loved one is angry at you, you may have a hard time coping and allow the person to be disrespectful and hurtful towards you. You are not responsible for the happiness of others. Unless you are being intentionally hurtful or actually treating someone badly, you cannot accept responsibility for someone’s emotional states.

2. Look for understanding within the other person and within yourself. In some cases, a toxic person may need a bit of understanding on your part. For instance, has your friend been distant and unreliable this year? If so, did something in particular happen to their life that may be the reason for that distance? Was there a death in their family, did they lose a job, go through a divorce or are struggling with intense feelings of depression? In some cases, people are actually not capable of being good friends to us at this time in their lives. In these situations, it may be good to gain understanding of the situation and not take their actions so personally. Also, take a look at yourself. Are you being particularly negative in your own life? There have been stages in my life where I was negative and this had a bad influence on the people around me. As difficult as it may be to admit, you actually might play a significant role in why some of your relationships with others are toxic. If this is the case, take a step back, forgive yourself and work on adopting a positive mindset and treating people with the kindness and respect they deserve.

3. Recognize the supportive people in your life and invest more energy into them. There is a good chance that you have been overinvesting energy into a toxic person and neglecting the supportive and loving people in your life. A quick way to stop accepting bad treatment from someone, is to focus your energy on the people who treat you great. Spend more time with other friends. Go on a date with a person who respects and appreciates you. Dedicate a lunch day to your colleagues who are supportive and like you. Spend a day with the family members who value and love you. Surround yourself with the people who do value and appreciate you. As you do, you may realize that you are spending too much of your resources in a toxic person and not enough in the people who do much for you and rarely ask for anything in return. As you do this, the dynamic with the toxic person will naturally change because you are placing less importance and resources on this person.

4. Walk away from any form of harassment. Never accept any type of belittling or malicious intent towards you. If you have a habit of allowing someone to bully or talk down to you, then you need to work on leaving the situation when this occurs. Make it very clear that you will not allow someone to talk or treat you like that. Get off the phone, get out of the room, go home or do whatever you need to do to make sure that it’s very clear you will not accept any kind of harassment. Finding the strength to walk away shows a person that you will not tolerate any harsh words or behaviors from them. You give the opportunity for that person to learn that if they want to be in your life, they must treat you with respect. You also minimize the amount of negative words and behaviors you allow into your own life.

5. Avoid unnecessary arguments. Some people love to fight, and often times these arguments are unnecessary and are more about someone being right rather than trying to find genuine mutual understanding. If you find yourself involved in arguments that are breaking down your relationships, you need to ask yourself what is going on. If there is a genuine misunderstanding, then sometimes a healthy argument is necessary to resolve it. However, if you find yourself constantly trying to explain yourself and feeling misunderstood every time or you simply just want to “win” every argument, then you are actively participating in a useless argument. An unnecessary argument takes two people to occur. When you notice you are having pointless arguments, it is time for you to stop being a participant. Don’t allow yourself to get involved in an argument that you know will go nowhere. Find the difference between a healthy and needless arguments. There’s nothing wrong with an occasional argument, especially one that is required for the relationship to grow and be stronger. However, pointless arguments often make both parties feel bad, resentful, frustrated, hurt and involve wanting the other person to feel pain. Recognize the difference between healthy and pointless arguments so that you can stop yourself from being an active participant in a toxic argument.

6. Walk away from anyone who is judgmental towards you. All of us have made mistakes and have scars from our past experiences. The beautiful thing about being close to others, is sharing your vulnerabilities with these people. The moment someone tries to make you feel like a bad person about something you’ve done in your past, is the moment you may need to accept that this is someone you should not be that close with. Someone who genuinely cares for you may feel sad that you’ve been through past hurts, may feel inspired by how you’ve grown or may kindly remind you of when you may be at risk of making the same mistake again, but a person who truly cares about you would not make you feel stupid or like a bad person because of your past.

7. Learn to not be reliable to someone who is unreliable. Many of us have had a friend in our lives who we were always there for but never returned the favour. You invite this person out regularly, are there for them when they need someone to talk to or are always willing to give them a helping hand when they need something done. Yet, when you need something from this person, she is unreliable. She has excuses, other commitments and little flexibility with her schedule. The best way to deal with this situation is to stop being reliable to someone who is unreliable. Stop being someone’s option, when you make them a priority. The friendship will naturally balance itself out when you mirror their actions.

8. Identify and honor your boundaries. All of us have boundaries that must be respected. Everyone is different and some things that bother you may not bother someone else. Understand what those boundaries are to you and respect those boundaries. Communicate those boundaries if there is ever a misunderstanding. If someone understands your boundaries and continues to violate those boundaries, then that should give you an indication of how much they respect you.

9. Stop allowing yourself to be taken for granted. Taking things for granted is human nature. There is so much we take for granted such as being able to breathe, having a job, being able to have a meal today and so forth. Being taken for granted by someone you love can feel terrible. This person may not realize or appreciate all the things you do for them. The best thing to do is to stop doing these things if you really feel you aren’t being appreciated.

10. Keep pursuing your passions and following your dreams. You might notice that the people who are toxic in your life are not all that supportive. Sure, this person may verbally tell you that they support you but they don’t really seem to care. This person isn’t interested in hearing about your projects, goals and generally doesn’t seem to care all that much. Again, an unsupportive friend may not come right out and say he does not support you, but their lack of caring will reflect how he truly feels. I had an unsupportive person in my life who showed little interest in my writing. He knew it was important to me, but never asked about it, had a difficult time listening to what my book was about and generally didn’t seem to care. He might tell me verbally that he supports me working on my book, but his actions show little to no interest. When you surround yourself around toxic people, you may fall into the trap of neglecting your passions and feeling uninspired. Keep investing time into your goals and dreams. When you put energy into your passions, you’ll leave little room to allow their lack of support to get you down.

11. Have the courage to remove someone toxic from your life. A person who genuinely loves and cares for you does not hurt you intentionally, betray you, lie to you and treat you badly. As much as you may care for this person, find the courage to recognize that you deserve to be around people who treat you with respect. I know walking away from someone you love is often times the most difficult thing you may experience, but you need to embrace the courage to remove anyone from your life that continually hurts you, Walking away from someone doesn’t have to involve a confrontation. You can simply just let go, move on and let the friendship naturally dissolve. Life is unpredictable so this may not actually be the end of a particular relationship, but sometimes walking away paves a journey for a reconnection and a stronger and healthier relationship in the future.

12. Take care of yourself. The best way to take care of others is to first take care of yourself. As you work on being kind and loving to yourself, you will more easily recognize when you are putting someone else’s needs above your own.

There are often clear patterns of behaviour that we adopt and accept that allow a negative relationship to thrive. As you get better at recognizing those negative patterns, you can more easily avoid that situation. Remember you are not alone. Everyone has experienced a toxic person that we willingly allow to hurt us. That’s okay. Stay grounded, love yourself and be willing to walk away from negativity that is destructive to your life.

I hope Sneha This will help you a lot Stay Happy stay Blessed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Best Way To Treat People Who Treat You Badly by Kyngfarabale1(m): 1:20pm On Mar 16, 2020
Humanoid01:
Don't let people change you. If you react negatively to a negative treatment, you're giving those people what they want and as such, they're winning. I believe that things like this happen to us so that certain characters can be built.

You can't determine what happens to you, but you can determine the outcome by how you react. To me, the best is to ignore those people and use what they throw at you to build your character, understand that the problem is not you, but them.

A lot of people have committed crimes because they had to react negatively (with anger) to a bad treatment. Of course, they're not at fault but the law doesn't see that, a crime is a crime whether or not the offender was the first to be attacked.
my almighty God bless u 4 us

if I tell my friends all this you've written here

they'll be like educated man dey talk bcoz I was opportune to attend higher institution

but dey don't know the life is changing.... bad things are happening so we need to adjust to avoid had I know......

I always tell dem I no get power to fight oooo but if Na mouth I get just to avoid problems

bless u
Re: What Is The Best Way To Treat People Who Treat You Badly by kwakwakwa(m): 2:41pm On Mar 16, 2020
Leezah or Lizard.............................ur DP though..................... SMH ! grin
Re: What Is The Best Way To Treat People Who Treat You Badly by Leezah(f): 2:43pm On Mar 16, 2020
what about it?
kwakwakwa:
Leezah or Lizard.............................ur DP though..................... SMH ! grin
Re: What Is The Best Way To Treat People Who Treat You Badly by Eberechi24(f): 2:51pm On Mar 16, 2020
"You can't hurt me without my permission."
I got this quote from "sweet Sixteen" a novel recommended for Jamb students last two years.

"No matter what you do, you would not be able to control how people behave towards you. But you know what? You can control how they make you feel... How you feel about yourself is more important than how other people make you feel."

The only solution is developing self confidence. You are beautiful/handsome the way you are, don't let people make you feel differently.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Treat People Who Treat You Badly by Nobody: 3:45pm On Mar 16, 2020
Ignore them. Focus on yourself.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Best Way To Treat People Who Treat You Badly by Nobody: 4:07pm On Mar 16, 2020
just ignore them, but first let them know how you feel.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Lessons I Learnt From Dating A Woman Who Constantly Put Me Down / Top 10 Countries Where Women Are In (short Supply/high Demand / EFCC blocked this guy on Twitter because of Buhari (PICTURES)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.