Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

Adventure In Ireland - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Adventure In Ireland (197156 Views)

What Is Like Studying In Sweden As An African. A Nairalander Adventure In Sweden / Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) / My 2017 Summer And Fall Adventure In Canada (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (94) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 2:39pm On Apr 03, 2020
Hotdawg:
Waiting for the day's update chiggs

Loooolllllllll, this gives me Joy mehn. Thanks man.
Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 2:42pm On Apr 03, 2020
Hotdawg:
Waiting for the day's update chiggs
Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 3:21pm On Apr 03, 2020
BUHARIISCURSED:

Will advice you do economics and start your ICAN in school, if you finish ICAN before graduation gal you made at your age you done big gal

@seunmohmoh, thanks for the question, I'll give my opinion below.

That's the mistake people make, they'll come here and do bsc, spend Four years and it becomes a journey to work and living life. Its easy for them to get carried away and become dropouts. The best thing is to do your Bachelor's in Nigeria in the most stressless school, maybe private universities that is accredited with no strike and then go abroad for your masters, most country actually require you to study a year in their country in order to be integrated into their economy.

In reality, its not every student that do Bachelor's that finishes, I've met lots of blacks that came here to do secondary school and Bachelor's working in the warehouse.
Because of the masters thing, I was watching a news documentary about the Nigerians in the USA, a huge percentage of the masters and PhD owners are Nigerians.

When you do your Bachelor's in Nigeria, you get lots of benefits:

ITS CHEAPER
I cant shout about the benefits of doing this in Nigeria. A semester fee in Dublin APART from my rent, feeding and transportation is enough to cover my tuition in a federal school in Nigeria. My rent for a month in Dublin is more than my rent for a year in Nigeria plus I even share the room here. I watched a Vlog in canada, Majority of student finance their education through student loans that they spend close to 20yrs paying off after getting a full time job.

Higher likelyhood of completing your Bachelor's.
Yes, drop out rate is lesser in Nigeria because of lots of stigmas for those who fail.

Debt free
If you're paying just one tuition like me, where will hypertension come from

Fun
Imagine sending your child overseas to enjoy their holiday. For parents it's a great incentive to reward good behavior

Learning
In my first semester, while I was studying Economics, I remembered that we had a course where I studied just Nigerian Economy History and I got to understand the impact of Agriculture before the Oil craze started.
How will I have learnt that if I was abroad, now I can plan and see how I can impact the Economy wherever I am. Instead, I'll be studying the history of other nations. You'll get to learn more about your root through lots of Case studies and all. Remember in 2019, celebs overseas started to investigate their roots and even when they didnt find it, they went to one African country and bonded with the people there. Then they said, THIS IS MY COUNTRY.

You get to connect and have people you'll continue to relate with.
Even when I have my kid.......
These are my opinions.
Cheers.

22 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Businessmogul93: 5:01pm On Apr 03, 2020
Bro,pls,whats d total expenses one ll make assuming he is to pay 70% of the sch fees,include accommodation fees.Also will d money gotten from d 20hours per week be enough to pay off the remaining 30%.Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 5:31pm On Apr 03, 2020
Businessmogul93:
Bro,pls,whats d total expenses one ll make assuming he is to pay 70% of the sch fees,include accommodation fees.Also will d money gotten from d 20hours per week be enough to pay off the remaining 30%.Thanks
Not really

The general/study Visa Irish thread has lots of input on this.
Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 5:43pm On Apr 03, 2020
This is the way we dey buy here,
This is Aldi
The top cheapest place to buy stuffs are Lidl, Aldi and Tesco, supervalu sometimes has some cheap items tho
How it works is that Tesco items in Tesco Express are cheaper than other items there.
These are what I buy in Tesco, bread, chicken, milk if my powder milk runs out, potatoes, sugar and oats
For Irish potato, the rooster, I get it for €5.
I'll post a picture about the size of the bag.
Other items are cheaper in Lidl and Aldi.
Like Sparkling water, Lemonade, biscuits, noodles, chicken too, rice, pasta, ketchup, Bama.... the crocs you see me wearing when I was outside was from lidl and lots more

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adventure In Ireland by seunmohmoh(f): 11:25pm On Apr 03, 2020
Chiggsglover:

@seunmohmoh, thanks for the question, I'll give my opinion below.

That's the mistake people make, they'll come here and do bsc, spend Four years and it becomes a journey to work and living life. Its easy for them to get carried away and become dropouts. The best thing is to do your Bachelor's in Nigeria in the most stressless school, maybe private universities that is accredited with no strike and then go abroad for your masters, most country actually require you to study a year in their country in order to be integrated into their economy.

In reality, its not every student that do Bachelor's that finishes, I've met lots of blacks that came here to do secondary school and Bachelor's working in the warehouse.
Because of the masters thing, I was watching a news documentary about the Nigerians in the USA, a huge percentage of the masters and PhD owners are Nigerians.

When you do your Bachelor's in Nigeria, you get lots of benefits:

ITS CHEAPER
I cant shout about the benefits of doing this in Nigeria. A semester fee in Dublin APART from my rent, feeding and transportation is enough to cover my tuition in a federal school in Nigeria. My rent for a month in Dublin is more than my rent for a year in Nigeria plus I even share the room here. I watched a Vlog in canada, Majority of student finance their education through student loans that they spend close to 20yrs paying off after getting a full time job.

Higher likelyhood of completing your Bachelor's.
Yes, drop out rate is lesser in Nigeria because of lots of stigmas for those who fail.

Debt free
If you're paying just one tuition like me, where will hypertension come from

Fun
Imagine sending your child overseas to enjoy their holiday. For parents it's a great incentive to reward good behavior

Learning
In my first semester, while I was studying Economics, I remembered that we had a course where I studied just Nigerian Economy History and I got to understand the impact of Agriculture before the Oil craze started.
How will I have learnt that if I was abroad, now I can plan and see how I can impact the Economy wherever I am. Instead, I'll be studying the history of other nations. You'll get to learn more about your root through lots of Case studies and all. Remember in 2019, celebs overseas started to investigate their roots and even when they didnt find it, they went to one African country and bonded with the people there. Then they said, THIS IS MY COUNTRY.

You get to connect and have people you'll continue to relate with.
Even when I have my kid.......
These are my opinions.
Cheers.
Thank you very much for your time.
Re: Adventure In Ireland by morinto: 12:23am On Apr 04, 2020
I apply for Griffith college for computer analytic for post graduate degree and the fee is 12 thousand euro in Dublin. Pls is there any cheap school apart from Griffith I can apply. Like fees of 8 thousand euros

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 6:24am On Apr 04, 2020
morinto:
I apply for Griffith college for computer analytic for post graduate degree and the fee is 12 thousand euro in Dublin. Pls is there any cheap school apart from Griffith I can apply. Like fees of 8 thousand euros

https://www.nairaland.com/4056995/general-irish-student-visa-work
They have lots of experience and knowledge to tackle this in that thread, my school is like the cheapest I know.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 6:05pm On Apr 04, 2020
The IRISH NOODLES

Not sure if this is the Irish noodles but the fact is that I bought it from a store here, they're all scattered all over Europe I guess. I bought it for say, 0.14cents, that's like 60naira, For each of them. The carton is €5, that's half the price of our own.

The Nigerians in my apartment still spend €10 on the our carton of Indomie that is even smaller than this, some stores sells theirs for €15.They didnt bother to try these out, they just assumed that it wont make sense. What I did was I bought different flavours, cooked them separately and it was Delicious. I like the fact that it's not as Sharp as our indomie. What Nigerian mothers do is to remove one of the seasoning when they're cooking five sachets. Either ways, you have to experiment to find the perfect balance for your taste buds.
They either throw away the sachets or use it to cook other food like spag and stew which I find to be funny. I prefer using it for eggs.

Given the Poor safety regulations, the Nigerian indomie isn't very safe, when I was in Nigeria, what is eat Dangote noodles and Oriental noodles, it's kinda scarce, its bountiful in the North where I served, not golden penny. It has lots of spice that you can pick up after you cook it.

This one below has smaller strands compared to the hours and it's cheaper.
The one I cooked was just consisting of just Two sachets and it was like I ate three of our small size noodles.

It all boils down to different strokes for different folks.
Time to gobble down the chow. shocked

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adventure In Ireland by morinto: 5:28am On Apr 05, 2020
Chiggsglover:

https://www.nairaland.com/4056995/general-irish-student-visa-work
They have lots of experience and knowledge to tackle this in that thread, my school is like the cheapest I know.
OK thank u. So which sch are u attending in Dublin and did dey have computer science department?

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 6:11am On Apr 05, 2020
morinto:
OK thank u. So which sch are u attending in Dublin and did dey have computer science department?
Dublin business school

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by morinto: 12:58pm On Apr 05, 2020
Chiggsglover:

Dublin business school
. OK but have u seen Griffith college in Dublin?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 1:49pm On Apr 05, 2020
morinto:
. OK but have u seen Griffith college in Dublin?
Yes I have
Its bigger in size and you pay more in tuition fee.
We have lots of Nigerians there unlike In Dublin business school where we have more Indians that you'll think you're in Indian.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adventure In Ireland by morinto: 2:35pm On Apr 05, 2020
Chiggsglover:

Yes I have
Its bigger in size and you pay more in tuition fee.
We have lots of Nigerians there unlike In Dublin business school where we have more Indians that you'll think you're in Indian.
. By God grace I will be coming in summer. After the corona I would start my visa processing my visa. Heard that house is very expensive so I wanted choosing the Griffith campus in lemerick or cork town but my brother keep insisting Dublin that dey is a lot of jobs to do as a student unlike the rest city out side dublin

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Brightfab(m): 6:49pm On Apr 05, 2020
I found this thread today I must thank you op for sharing,you just made me fall in love more with Ireland. One more year to complete my Bsc (Industrial Chemistry) and I will be making the big move for Msc in Ireland. I hope there are opportunities for my line of course.
God bless you and stay safe

Chiggsglover:
The IRISH NOODLES

Not sure if this is the Irish noodles but the fact is that I bought it from a store here, they're all scattered all over Europe I guess. I bought it for say, 0.14cents, that's like 60naira, For each of them. The carton is €5, that's half the price of our own.

The Nigerians in my apartment still spend €10 on the our carton of Indomie that is even smaller than this, some stores sells theirs for €15.They didnt bother to try these out, they just assumed that it wont make sense. What I did was I bought different flavours, cooked them separately and it was Delicious. I like the fact that it's not as Sharp as our indomie. What Nigerian mothers do is to remove one of the seasoning when they're cooking five sachets. Either ways, you have to experiment to find the perfect balance for your taste buds.
They either throw away the sachets or use it to cook other food like spag and stew which I find to be funny. I prefer using it for eggs.

Given the Poor safety regulations, the Nigerian indomie isn't very safe, when I was in Nigeria, what is eat Dangote noodles and Oriental noodles, it's kinda scarce, its bountiful in the North where I served, not golden penny. It has lots of spice that you can pick up after you cook it.

This one below has smaller strands compared to the hours and it's cheaper.
The one I cooked was just consisting of just Two sachets and it was like I ate three of our small size noodles.

It all boils down to different strokes for different folks.
Time to gobble down the chow. shocked

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Adventure In Ireland by fid4fid: 9:53am On Apr 06, 2020
Chiggsglover:
Guy, how guys dey take get residency for there after they study finish?

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 12:14pm On Apr 06, 2020
morinto:
. By God grace I will be coming in summer. After the corona I would start my visa processing my visa. Heard that house is very expensive so I wanted choosing the Griffith campus in lemerick or cork town but my brother keep insisting Dublin that dey is a lot of jobs to do as a student unlike the rest city out side dublin

You are absolutely correct.
Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 12:16pm On Apr 06, 2020
Brightfab:
I found this thread today I must thank you op for sharing,you just made me fall in love more with Ireland. One more year to complete my Bsc (Industrial Chemistry) and I will be making the big move for Msc in Ireland. I hope there are opportunities for my line of course.
God bless you and stay safe

This is why I share, thank you very much.
Just complete your studies, theres always a gap for STEM courses, cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 12:17pm On Apr 06, 2020
fid4fid:

Guy, how guys dey take get residency for there after they study finish?
By getting a full time job that pay €30000 or by marriage, choose thou wisely.
Re: Adventure In Ireland by Nobody: 12:36pm On Apr 06, 2020
Chiggsglover:

the moment I hear 30000euro my left ear became longer than my right ear
Please that 30000euro is monthly
Re: Adventure In Ireland by fid4fid: 12:37pm On Apr 06, 2020
Chiggsglover:

E hard o! To get €30k full time work easy for there?

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 1:56pm On Apr 06, 2020
fid4fid:

E hard o! To get €30k full time work easy for there?

Well, that's the thing, I wont lie, I used to be scared. But given the fact that if you do odd jobs for five days in a week at 12hrs per day and you get paid the minimum wage you can easily make more than 30k.
Imagine if you earn up to what my warehouse pays me, you'll ball. But the thing here is that you wont grow. Full time jobs offers opportunity for you to move career wise, which in turn gives you motivation and deep satisfaction.
But they dont want people to come here and be working in their warehouse. They want foreigners to fill up jobs in STEM that their citizen hate. These irish guys here comfortably drop out from school and they do well. Hence the reason why I moved from Economics to Data Analytics.
The 30k mark is for full time jobs in Any sector, but the fact that their a gap in a particular sector makes it reasonable for us to aim at it.

For your question, before I went to the odd jobs route, I applied aggressively to jobs on Glassdoor, LinkedIn, indeed, Job.ie, and I also went to the Gradireland job fair in February, just the next month I got to the country, wheeewwwwwww!!!!!!!!

Given my CV with plenty volunteering experience and just one Eight month of actual job experience.
I received lots of Rejection mails that hurt so much that I got used to it. Plus the ones that didnt even bother to reply to this day.
In all, I received about three different phone calls and offer for Full time jobs which when I told them I could only work part time, I was rejected. That shows you that it is Possible!!!!!
When I went to RCCG in my area, it's a big church with mostly blacks, I only spotted one white woman, after the service finished, come and see young girls and boys bouncing into their Benz, I was the only one that was walking home cry

People have the option of Marriage, I no fit talk much here. I want a professional job where I'll dress well and when you see me on the Road, you'll know IM DOING WELL. smiley

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 1:56pm On Apr 06, 2020
ZINIBANKS:

the moment I hear 30000euro my left ear became longer than my right ear
Please that 30000euro is monthly
Its annually, den wan kill you., na executives dey get that one monthly
Re: Adventure In Ireland by Nobody: 2:03pm On Apr 06, 2020
Chiggsglover:

Its annually, den wan kill you., na executives dey get that one monthly
Ok but please those excutives how their own be
How person go join them
30000euro no be small money per Months

2 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Nobody: 2:12pm On Apr 06, 2020
Chiggsglover:
Going out to the park to exercise and take in some of the Sun's energy. No power frenzy military men here is going to make me do frog jump, Lol. As long as we keep our 2meter distance, I'm safe.

We can go to the supermarket, bank, even some warehouses are open.
How in the world will people stay indoors in Nigeria, what if the food runs out. Hian
See ya later.
I spot dread on your head supposing is Niaja now dey will say you are Yahoo boi
Before you know it you don land station
What a country angry

4 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 4:36pm On Apr 06, 2020
ZINIBANKS:

Ok but please those excutives how their own be
How person go join them
30000euro no be small money per Months
You need lots of experience, you'll have to be a manager to get 30k monthly. people that earn up to this are very few. You see, income here is more distributed. If you earn that amount, what you may take home may be like 20k monthly.
That tax will be used to cater for those that are on the lower spectrum and the money comes back to you in kinds.

6 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 4:40pm On Apr 06, 2020
ZINIBANKS:

I spot dread on you head supposing is Niaja now dey will say you are Yahoo boi
Before you know it you don land station
What a country angry

Yes oooo, I can work in the bank like that

4 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Nobody: 4:43pm On Apr 06, 2020
Chiggsglover:

Yes oooo, I can work in the bank like that
Can you imagine even to some African parents here you are not a good boi lol grin
I know I will also evaporate this poo-hole one day sad

4 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 5:07pm On Apr 06, 2020
Here's one thing I noticed, I've been meaning to write something about this.
In this country, before you get inside your house, you'll pass two doors. This is where you'll find your posted letters and other items you order from online stores.
Yes, if you order from Aliexpress, they bring it to your house unless you order for things like a phone and the store decides you need to sign to receive the items, that is when you can go to the An post and you won't pay a dime.

The An post is another story on its own.
This is a federal post office that has s Banking service, postal operation, and network too o, they give out sim and phones and operate like MTN and Vodafone.
This is the way for government to regulate service by being there, in Nigeria, what do you do if ALL the telecommunications network decide to hike their price, you're in soup.
If you try that here, All your customers will rush to the network with the lowest price. Higher the price, lower the demand. The government will beg the private firms, if they refuse, he will ensure that the price goes lower. The private firms will have to sit up or be shown the door.

I found it to be very strange.
In my first apartment, the first door led to two duplex, with one of them leading to where me n the other mates live. The second door led to the other duplex.
In each of the duplex, the kitchen and the common room is downstairs. I'll post a picture later, if I forget, remind me. Upstairs contain two room and a toilet and bathroom.
The first door was made in a way that if you dont have the key, you cant get in. But you can open it from inside with the handle. They simply removed the handle from the side facing the wicked world.
In most homes in Ireland this is how the door is made. I won't say All because I haven't been to all. Lol
The bad side about this door is you can easily be locked out of your own house.
That's how I hear stories of people freezing in canada just outside their home, maybe this is the kind of door they had. Now it all makes sense.
My first house had the first door like this.
My next house had its own differently, because theres only one door facing one apartment after the first door.
They made the inner door to have just one handle.
So when a postman comes, all he has to do is to open the first door and keep the item in the space, he won't be able to access the inner door because he doesn't have the key.

5 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Chiggsglover(m): 5:13pm On Apr 06, 2020
ZINIBANKS:

Can you imagine even to some African parents here you are not a good boi lol grin
I know I will also evaporate this poo-hole one day sad

Lol
People here see me as a human being whether hair or not, Nigerians will look at me like a criminal if they see the dreads. My hair started to lock while I was waiting for my visa result. I didn't dare lock the hair unless SARS will hunt me with pitchforks like a witch in medieval times.
This is why I wont be pained if these guys snub us, when I know in my country, they'll express their displeasure and you must pay for it dearly.

Now I understand what jesus meant when he said he came to own and they rejected him. cry

5 Likes

Re: Adventure In Ireland by Hadampson(m): 5:25pm On Apr 06, 2020
NiklauseFred:
Lemme register my presence here wink

Baba hadampson Weldon o

May God help our matter bro.. See as we dey move from one travel thread to another grin

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (94) (Reply)

Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response / *** General Irish VISIT/TOURIST VISA Enquiries *** / Anyone Studying In Portugal!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.