Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,979 members, 7,810,715 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

Is It Correct To Use "Take" In Place Of "Teach" - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It Correct To Use "Take" In Place Of "Teach" (538 Views)

I Want To Barb My Hair — Is It Correct? / Fg Says Universities Can Reopen When Covid-19 Guidelines Are In Place / The Use Of "An" Before H Sounding Words, Is It Correct? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Correct To Use "Take" In Place Of "Teach" by MRAKBEE(m): 7:59am On Mar 25, 2020
I have heard one or two persons use take instead of teach in sentences.
For example, instead of saying "I teach Mathematics" someone would rather say "I take Mathematics"
I know that it means to offer a particular subject but does it also make sense when you use it in the above context. Nigerian English can be very tricky sometimes.
Englishmart, caplocked, n others make una come here oh..
Re: Is It Correct To Use "Take" In Place Of "Teach" by Veebliz(m): 12:22pm On Mar 25, 2020
MRAKBEE:
I have heard one or two persons use take instead of teach in sentences.
For example, instead of saying "I teach Mathematics" someone would rather say "I take Mathematics"
I know that it means to offer a particular subject but does it also make sense when you use it in the above context. Nigerian English can be very tricky sometimes.
Englishmart, caplocked, n others make una come here oh..

No, it doesn't work in that context, I take mathematics sounds more like you're saying: I study mathematics.

Of course, "to take" can be used instead of "to teach" if you use it this way: I take students for mathematics.

You can also use it instead of "to lead": "I took the morning service" instead of "I led the morning service".

"To take" can also mean "to do an exam or a test".
Re: Is It Correct To Use "Take" In Place Of "Teach" by MrBrownJay1(m): 3:42pm On Mar 25, 2020
TAKE/TEACH have two different meaning in the above sentence you quoted...
i take mathematics means thats what you study
i teach mathematics means you are a teacher of that subject
Re: Is It Correct To Use "Take" In Place Of "Teach" by englishmart(m): 7:16pm On Mar 26, 2020
Veebliz:

No, it doesn't work in that context, I take mathematics sounds more like you're saying: I study mathematics.

Of course, "to take" can be used instead of "to teach" if you use it this way: I take students for mathematics.

You can also use it instead of "to lead": "I took the morning service" instead of "I led the morning service".

"To take" can also mean "to do an exam or a test".
You're very correct. People tend to see the teaching job as something derogatory. It shouldn't be so.

1 Like

Re: Is It Correct To Use "Take" In Place Of "Teach" by babyfaceafrica: 7:20pm On Mar 26, 2020
englishmart:
You're very correct. People tend to see the teaching job as something derogatory. It shouldn't be so.
teachers are not well paid, so you can't blame them. Working conditions terrible, no respect, poor Rumenerations...
Re: Is It Correct To Use "Take" In Place Of "Teach" by englishmart(m): 7:29pm On Mar 26, 2020
babyfaceafrica:
teachers are not well paid, so you can't blame them. Working conditions terrible, no respect, poor Rumenerations...
Teachers in Nigeria you mean?

1 Like

Re: Is It Correct To Use "Take" In Place Of "Teach" by babyfaceafrica: 7:30pm On Mar 26, 2020
englishmart:
Teachers in Nigeria you mean?
yes
Re: Is It Correct To Use "Take" In Place Of "Teach" by englishmart(m): 7:32pm On Mar 26, 2020
babyfaceafrica:
yes
Well, if I were a teacher, I would be proud of it.

1 Like

Re: Is It Correct To Use "Take" In Place Of "Teach" by Veebliz(m): 2:16am On Mar 27, 2020
englishmart:
Well, if I were a teacher, I would be proud of it.

Me too. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Naira... Why Not "Nairas"? / If U Want To Start A Business, Or You Have A Business,i Recommend You Read This / Who Else Experienced This About JAMB Website?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.