Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,696 members, 7,813,290 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:25 AM

For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? - Business (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? (63199 Views)

Nadeem Anjarwalla: Kenyan Police Arrest Binance Executive Who Escaped Nigeria / How Wigwe’s Aide, Faleye Olushola, Escaped Death In Helicopter Crash / 7 Differences Between The Poor And The Rich (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by DaddyGngeess(m): 9:45pm On Mar 25, 2020
BruncleZuma:
Success is a mindset...I was a poor individual, a poor student but omo I am that person you'd have to kill and cut off his head before I ever give up. So here I am, doing decently for myself and my family.

I have starved, I have seen my parents and siblings hungry. I have run away from home twice just to escape poverty.

I have sold bread, pure water, akamu, I have worked in a pure water factory when they were all manual, I have seen my parents swallow their pride to borrow just so we'd go to school and have something to feed on, I have seen all this and I don't blame no village people.

All I needed through all this travails was an opportunity and the mindset to see it as one.

Don't get me started with the hand me downs, JESU! I wish no man poverty, no matter what side of the Niger you find yourself, it's worse than death. In death, you are at peace.

How did I do it: I read alot, I started doing graphics design and video editing to augment, switched to adding one or two kpali by browsing newspapers to know what's the latest professional course to do for the career of my choice, tried my hands in so many useless certifications that I had to chuck most of them.

I have confidence, my balls are made of brass and I am a fast learner.

Everything day brings it's own opportunities and I try to learn one new thing a day. Every useless information I have learned had come in handy in my current profession.

I waste nothing.

My advise, No fear anybody, nah hustle we all come this life to hustle, the highest them go talk nah NO, the worst they can do is call security.

My advise, No fear anybody, nah hustle we all come this life to hustle, the highest them go talk nah NO, the worst they can do is call security,

This is beautiful...

4 Likes

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by maasoap(m): 9:55pm On Mar 25, 2020
DamonSalvatore:
My Story long.. But I no go expose myself for public forum
I am still poor..I've been starved for a whole day straight.. Just drinking water only.. I de stay with my Uncle... As i am now.. I have vowed not to get married or born.. Till I get enough money..
Imagine getting cov in a course because i no get 2k to buy book... Imagine not writing Ssce with my mates bcuz of 15..
People with rich parents don't know what God has done for them..

I won't bring a child into this world to come and suffer what i suffered.. ⅓ of what I've seen would kill some people

Long story short... My life is meaninglessness.. I'm just clowning Online to kill depression..
If I see anywhere wey i fit Sell my soul to give my parents and my younger bro and Sis Money to enjoy life forever... I'd do it.... All the ones have seen are demanding sacrifice.. I'm a half atheist anyways...So many prayers have gone unanswered that I have doubts about anybody up there
Nothing de to live for for this world... We are all gonna die anyways... It's just a matter of time..

This story get level o. Things dey happen sha. I've got story to tell too, and not a palatable one for that matter. Just that things are getting better

1 Like

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Vincad: 9:58pm On Mar 25, 2020
Bibidear:

lol.... finished 2002.....was Mrs ighalo still the headmistress

Yeah, she was, very strict woman.

1 Like

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by maasoap(m): 9:59pm On Mar 25, 2020
Mstick:
I would like to share mine but because of the immature idiots on this forum I wouldn't, I don't want them pulling the post up later to ridicule me.

Keep hustling things will change soon.

Nice point

2 Likes

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Rodeoz(m): 10:01pm On Mar 25, 2020
Olayinka8793:
Well, I didn't only grew up poor, I also grew up disabled after suffering permanent hearing loss since I was a kid in primary school.
As painful as that hearing loss was, it was what later pushed me to go and learn a trade in barbing since my hearing loss will be a great hindrance to my pursuit of higher education as there is no way I could have survived in conventional universities even though I managed to survived conventional high school up to SS2, and the other obvious choice which is a university for the deafs is not an option either as I never learned sign language.
long story short, I am a boss barber now with my own shop and two obedient apprentice.
By God's grace l am completely totally independent and out of poverty.
Doesn't sound so much like a big deal but when l count the number of able bodied people l know who are not doing well as l am and will give anything just to be in my position, and the relations and friends l have been able to assist whenever l could, l can not but say a big thank you to God.

Respect to you Bro. Good one. I admire your spirit. Keep it up.

I have a question Bro, concerning that girl fro
Previous years. Did you later get her to be your Babe? If No, have you had other Babes?

2 Likes

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by maasoap(m): 10:02pm On Mar 25, 2020
Freehuman:

I attended the most expensive schools. I'm even a bit intelligent . My siblings are a bunch of empty heads. Not sure my siblings can compose write-ups like those who suffered during childhood according to the comments I've read so far in this thread. I'm even impressed with the deaf barber who didn't attend a University .

Millions have been spent on my siblings and myself . I still don't believe my siblings can compose a meaningful essay.

Four or five square meals a day. Girls from richer backgrounds chase you. Church girls crush on you after your parents make a donation and they see you walk into an exotic car after church service . You walk into your father's office and seat down in a seat a higher degree holder who is his employee wouldn't seat. Very clear skin and everyone calls you "soft boy".

I'm not worried about myself but fear for my siblings. Don't want them to taste poverty because I know those poor creatures can't survive the least difficult story I've read in this thread.

Hmmm! Won't you be there for them?
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by ifiokjohn(m): 10:02pm On Mar 25, 2020
DrChukki:
I grew up in a very poor family.

I won't say am very rich now. I'm still in the process and I love the fruitful results am seeing.

While in schools, I went into DIGITAL MARKETING and COPYWRITING, that's what's fetching me money now and am pretty cool with it.

The journey has not been easy so far but is the determination to escape poverty that has kept me going.

My advice to anyone born poor is this:
"if you die poor is your fault"

Please bro, can you also teach me Digital Marketing and Copy writing? I will be very grateful if you do. Thank you.
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Oreofepeters: 10:04pm On Mar 25, 2020
Me what my eyes have seen I can't say it all. If I start to talk wetin I don see and experienced mehn I swear we no go end am today.
When suffering was too much I had to ventured into Yahoo business. I became a full time Yahoo and I cashed out big time.
I must confess I've done so many things that I hate but I can't blame me tho, poverty ain't good for nobody
But thank God for changing the story of a last born son at last......

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Marxxx: 10:06pm On Mar 25, 2020
I have painstakingly gone through all the comments and I will love to say " do not get caught up on where you would rather be and forget to make the best of your present moments ".
Enjoy every moment of your life whether poor or rich. My best memories are still those horrible days the boys and I ran around the mission playing football barefooted.

Yes you need to work hard and you need God. We all do. Stop self pity and learn a skill.

Finally when you get more money than you have ever imagined, you will then realize that money is not enough.

7 Likes

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Obatolysis(m): 10:21pm On Mar 25, 2020
Bibidear:

are you kidding me.....I finished 2002....lol hope you still remember Mrs ighalo

Yep Mrs T. O Ighalo was her name. Those in my set I can remember is Dimeji, Rosemary, Onyinye Umeh, Chilee, Bimbola, Joy, Obi , Chima, Samson, Ikechukwu Justin, Nwagu Chidiebere, Chidozie (with ptosis), Orizu Meziaku, Dike Francis, Emmanuella, Julie, Essien enobong, Tobi, Jeremiah, Uyi, Ifeanyi and Obiorah
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by 3Hopeblog(m): 10:21pm On Mar 25, 2020
uuzba:

You asked it insensitively.

Do you know the pain of losing your own mother?
She's alive and she's actively denying you?
The writer is not happy about that and does not need you to ask him probing questions.

You, go and survive your own.

Oga quoter. No be me ask the question. Check well before you mention me.
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Blankstare(m): 10:22pm On Mar 25, 2020
Nice thread, life is hard, too plenty stories. Since hood days, have been a nigga with tall ambition and unrelenting drive... But ever since there's this bad spirit that always bring me down.. spirit of quiting in the middle of an important task, spirit of a kind of bad complacency... would have broken the chain of poverty if not . God help, too many hopes on me.

2 Likes

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by mujiboy(m): 10:23pm On Mar 25, 2020
Blankstare:

Nice thread, life is hard, too plenty stories. Since hood days, have been a nigga with tall ambition and unrelenting drive... But ever since there's this bad spirit that always bring me down.. spirit of quiting in the middle of an important task, spirit of a kind of bad complacency... would have broken the chain of poverty if not . God help, too many hopes on me.
God help you.. I think I know that feeling!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by gowonmaharajah(m): 10:24pm On Mar 25, 2020
I wanna make my papa proud.
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Ayt27(m): 10:31pm On Mar 25, 2020
DamonSalvatore:
I am still poor..I've been starved for a whole day straight.. Just drinking water only.. I de stay with my Uncle... As i am now.. I have vowed not to get married or born.. Till I get enough money..
Imagine getting cov in a course because i no get 2k to buy book... Imagine not writing Ssce with my mates bcuz of 15..

I won't bring a child into this world to come and suffer what i suffered.. ⅓ of what I've seen would kill some people

Long story short... My life is meaninglessness.. I'm just clowning Online to kill depression..
If I see anywhere wey i fit Sell my soul to give my parents and my younger bro and Sis Money to enjoy life forever... I'd do it.... All the ones have seen are demanding sacrifice.. I'm a half atheist anyways...So many prayers have gone unanswered that I have doubts about anybody up there
Nothing de to live for for this world... We are all gonna die anyways... It's just a matter of time..

bro if there is ONE thing you can be sure of, it's God hears your prayers, don;t give upon Jesus pls don't
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Nnemuka(f): 10:33pm On Mar 25, 2020
Jonathan39:
If I believe your story despite your username then I can believe buhari is the best president in the whole world
The guy is forming Dangote, while offline he might be struggling to eat.

Audio billionaire grin

1 Like

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by DavidEsq(m): 10:43pm On Mar 25, 2020
SirBobiGentle:
My story is quite different because I will appreciate my father as a man any day any time. I remember growing up in a one room boys quarter with my parents and two siblings. Life was so tough and we use to help mum sell bonce and puff puff. Dad was a taxi driver but we didn't really know what he was doing then because we were quite young.

One thing about my dad was that he was determined and I remember my sister entering secondary school in one public school but before I got to enter secondary school, dad had a job that started paying something a little nice. We moved from the boys quarter to a one bedroom house that erosion nearly carried us one night. He put me in a private secondary school and transferred my sister to same private secondary school. My younger brother later joined us and things were beginning to change a little.

My dad didn't depend on that job because he kept pushing for something better till he struck a jackpot. He got employed in one of the biggest oil companies in Nigeria and then boom, the whole story started changing.

He bought our first house, bought cars, spoilt us with money. We got practically everything we wanted in life. I entered university first year with my own ride. He bought all of us rides and messed us up with whatever we needed. We go overseas for holidays and I saw the difference between poverty and riches.

He bought houses and also built a befitting palace to suit his status, set all of us up after graduation and we are all doing fine. He is retired now and still enjoying his pension peaceful to the point that if we send him 100k each as a gift, he will be laughing at us that we don't have money and we are giving him chicken change lol.

Life without money is actually the real hell on earth. Heaven is right here on earth when you gat money.

I pray everyone makes it in life.
From what u have described here, ur father's determination spurred him to widen out his hustle. Each step he took, paid off. Hm! My guy, just thank God say ur papa no chop disappoinment like puff-puff, back to back.

1 Like

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by grandstar(m): 10:45pm On Mar 25, 2020
magicminister:

Grew up in Ajangbadi....
they killed so many people it was crazy... I’ve seen so many people die painful deaths after pleading for their lives. It’s not something any child has to see but that was my reality growing up.

Do you blame Yoruba people or OPC?
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by DavidEsq(m): 10:46pm On Mar 25, 2020
Spanishmilf:
that wasn't the question oga
u dey move upandan u didn't tell us full story. Warris going on embarassed
U should know na grin
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Olayinka8793(m): 10:47pm On Mar 25, 2020
Rodeoz:

Respect to you Bro. Good one. I admire your spirit. Keep it up.

I have a question Bro, concerning that girl fro
Previous years. Did you later get her to be your Babe? If No, have you had other Babes?
Thanks bro. To answer your question, I didn't get her cos she later travelled and hasn't returned.
Now, na wife material l dey find cos I can't waste my time dating someone l don't see myself marrying.

2 Likes

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by iCauseTrouble: 10:51pm On Mar 25, 2020
Victoronah1:
I'm sorry blame it on my dad not me. He always told me to show off. And call h anytime.im.in need. Can't you see why sometimes being born in a wealthy family is bad?
How old are you to start with?
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by momove4real25(f): 10:58pm On Mar 25, 2020
It started like this. Immediately i finished my SSCE I was called by my single mother to know the kind of handwork I want to learn. So my uncle who was former board commissioner in Ogun State decided to get me job at the age of 19 with salary of 7k in 2006 Jan 3rd. So from there I started saving up 4k in a month a and spends 3k on other things. In 2007 I enrolled for OND in estate mgt at MAPOLY by which fees, rent was buy me. I could not chose medics course in university because Mum already told me she did not have power to send me to schl. In 2010 I put in for HND in estate mgt, in 2017 I put in for conversion programme at the Bells Ota now I am B.tech holder which I will tender soon in the office. Presently I av moved from lower cadre which I do flush toilet for Permanent Secretaries in Ogun State while I was messenger to better cadre. I am now Senior EState Officer with my HND. What helped me through was the statement by a woman that I cannot express myself. Fine background tells in me but I glorify God. I don't look down on anyone and I believe people can learn from me. During this journey I was molested, maltreated, disappointed but I never allowed any to draw me back. The only painful thing in my story is by July I will clock 33 as a single. Ain't feminist but training n focusing affected me with my strong decision

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Karleb(m): 11:03pm On Mar 25, 2020
ReneeNuttall:

That sounds more like my mom,she just realised the importance of having children now that she's already ageing. Anyways we av forgiven her,cuz shes only human.And humans make Mistakes.I hope u do same if u really want closure.

Back to the topic, I'm still grinding and hoping that one day God will pick my call.

That's to show you that mum or not, human beings most likely will only remember you when they need you not when you need them.

1 Like

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Mar 25, 2020
iamDrRhymes:

You didnt still tell us how you got to where you are. You said you hustle, you did what exactly?
What else do you want to know grin
The point is he made it
Let's leave it there grin
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Lawsimon(m): 11:19pm On Mar 25, 2020
DamonSalvatore:

Bro, though it's tough and painful, I mean what you are passing through. I want to assure you that your unbelief cannot change the fact that God exists. Know that, Jesus Christ came for that your soul you're looking for where to sell it. I promise you that if you surrender your life - soul - heart to Him this moment, your life will never remain the same - though you may not see drastic physical changes, but definitely, you will begin to enjoy and have peace of mind and joy, which money cannot buy.

Have you ever wondered about life after here? What if there is another life after death? And what you do here will determine the type of life you will live there. If you are wise, you won't take chances.
Jesus saves
He is the truth, the way and life.
He doesn't promise you heaven and Earth.
He sure will guarantee you eternity (eternal life).

Jesus is knocking on your door now.
Won't you receive Him?

1 Like

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Abolarin91(m): 11:24pm On Mar 25, 2020
Well, I think poverty has stages. If I were to rate it;1,2,3,&4, I was in stage 2 because we can still help then...

I live in Lagos, Agegunle precisely(kpako house, getto). I can't can't even start telling my story now because I am not yet what I wish to become, the story will be sweet if someone can look back and smile.

I believe I am going a higher places but it painful the woman that stayed by my side will not be able to eat the fruit of her labour. I pray to all people going through hard time, God will wipe ur tears and lift you up...

3 Likes

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by arcdone(m): 11:30pm On Mar 25, 2020
Since there is life... There is hope of success....
Struggles continue, the time as not yet ripe to that extend to share my stories, but Glory be to God, comparing to some folks stories, better days ahead, I knew and believe I will made it big... By the GRACE of GOD
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Oritsewhandey(m): 11:35pm On Mar 25, 2020
magicminister:
Man!!! It was rough!!!

Grew up in a ghetto in Lagos where we were oppressed by OPC everyday. There were public lynching and ethnic cleansing conducted by the OPC.

Then we were oppressed by the police. After OPC have had their way and killed whom they pleased, the police would extort us and beat us severely if you dared to oppose

Then there were the thieves that would raid every house in the ghetto. Robbing and raping and killing. Fortunately, we were never attacked by any of those but I saw it so many times that I got desensitized to the deaths and charred bodies that lined up the street everyday.

It wasn’t funny!
L-I-E-S-!-!-!
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by Excuzeme: 11:36pm On Mar 25, 2020
Immorttal:
Not all mom are mothers and not all dad are fathers. Now rewrite the story by f[b]inding your kids a beffiting mother[/b] and giving them a good life as a dad. We must not replicate our horrible past to our children. Doing the same to my kids.

How do you "find YOUR KIDS" a befitting Mother? angry
I thought you find a befitting wife first and when she gives birth to your child(ren), she becomes the "befitting" mother of your kids? shocked
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by JewelBukky(f): 11:42pm On Mar 25, 2020
Loool... Obi! I dey come fes grin
Obinnau:
come share your story joor.
Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by trilobite: 11:45pm On Mar 25, 2020
Tow stories from my friends:

One who used to be controlled by his wife, we never found it funny till I asked him why he allowed it and he told me his story.

After university he was jobless, doing goephysical surveys without getting paid. He told madam (his then girlfriend) that he would not be able to finance their marriage and she should leave him and move on. She said no way!! They could get married while she joined him in hustle.

So they did. There was no reception, everything took place in her father's house with only small food and drinks shared between few people. She then moved with him into a single room apartment.
Their agreement was NO KIDS TILL THE MONEY COMES. So they hustled, hustled, and hustled. Oga kept running his surveys till one day his local politician remembered him and gave him a huge borehole contract that changed his life forever.

Another guy:

Also broke and jobless after graduation. Him and his friends decided they were going to stay back at the state they were posted to for NYSC and hustle till they made it.
They did everything real estate, typing, etc. Till they sold a property worth billions and got a 300m agent cut. They all haven't looked back. Now the poor dude doesn't even know what to do with his money grin grin.

4 Likes

Re: For People Who Grew Up Poor And Eventually Escaped Poverty, Whats Your Story? by fineboynl(m): 11:45pm On Mar 25, 2020
when I become richer than dangote I I'll come back to this thread and tell my story in full.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply)

Gombe Exports 400 Snakes To England Every Month / Aishah Ahmad: Profile Of The CBN Deputy Governor / Real Owners Of REMITA- System Specs Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.