Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? (1918 Views)

Any Guy Who Doesn't Have A House And A Car Should Not Get Married Or Even Date! / Ladies Dont You Like Posessive Men? / Why Dont African American Men And Carribean Men Like 2 Date African Girls? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by playmate(f): 2:46pm On Dec 31, 2010
Marriage is something i try not to think about. . all i know is no one can force me to get married if all i want is to remain single. Marriage is not a do or die affair.
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by birdman(m): 6:13pm On Dec 31, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

You can still achieve those things without having to get married. It seems like what you're describing here is more of a communal contract. You mention a previous generation bringing me into existence so are you trying to tell me that without marriage I wouldn't exist? Its almost as though you think that just because an individual or two individuals are not necessarily tied [I'm using this word loosely by the way] to another that they cannot produce a child. You can still have children and contribute to the needs of the community without having to marry.

You can have kids without getting married. Even have a single parent, or two moms, or two dads. The fact there there is no surviving society with such family models suggest the married family model is the most reasonable for any society that wants to survive.
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by InkedNerd(f): 10:08pm On Dec 31, 2010
birdman:

You can have kids without getting married. Even have a single parent, or two moms, or two dads. The fact there there is no surviving society with such family models suggest the married family model is the most reasonable for any society that wants to survive.

Survival for who? The topic was about marriage, not producing children. Yes, the two go hand in hand but are not mutually exclusive. The main topic of discussion is marriage.'
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jan 01, 2011
@inked nerd. , can be mutually exclusive, i.e. the existence of one can negate that of the other.
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by faponfapon: 12:37am On Jan 02, 2011
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by InkedNerd(f): 12:53am On Jan 02, 2011
faponfapon:

@inknerd, just a thought out of d box, and frm wat ppl has been sayin concerning marriage here and u, dunno if you are xtian or muslim, but if u are xtian, dnt u think u deciding nt 2 get married might be u commiting sin?cos there's a passage in d bible tht makes mariage compulsory as xtian.?just thinkin

Good point and no, I don't see it as a sin. There are people on this website that preach until the sun goes down yet they follow anything that they preach. There are also thins within the Bible and Koran that make absolutely no sense at all. Me saying that I have no desire to get married  has nothing to do with religion. If I may ask, why is it that you all seem to like using the Bible, Koran, etc. as a means of justifying certain acts or behavior.
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by eldav(m): 1:02am On Jan 02, 2011
@nerd

Somethings in d Bible doesnt make sense u say?hmm,mind wat u say.God doesnt condole mockery.jst so u knw.
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by InkedNerd(f): 1:10am On Jan 02, 2011
eldav:

@nerd

Somethings in d Bible doesnt make sense u say?hmm,mind wat u say.God doesnt condole mockery.jst so u knw.

Oh, so you mean to tell me that EVERY SINGLE THING in the Bible makes sense? And for the record, I'm not mocking anyone I was just pointing out something. To mock would be an indication that I am making fun of God, which I wasn't--like I said, I was trying to point out something.
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by faponfapon: 1:58am On Jan 02, 2011
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by Orton10(m): 2:22am On Jan 02, 2011
playmate:

Marriage is something i try not to think about. . all i know is no one can force me to get married if all i want is to remain single. Marriage is not a do or die affair.

Gal u're ma mentor 4rm nw on. :-)
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by InkedNerd(f): 2:33am On Jan 02, 2011
faponfapon:

anyways nerd, i guess d decision on wat u wanna do wit your life either marryin or not marryin is entirely up to u and and nt mine 2 pokenose, and i guess i'll just leave u alone and concentrate on d original post.
really house i guess we shuld just leave nerd alone and concentrate on d topic on ground since her decisio is nun our biz.

I hope I didn't come across as rude, its just that when I mentioned what my views were there seemed to be a lot of opposition. You have your views and I have mine. If marriage is something you want then good for you. If not, the good for you as well. We're all difference and share different views on various issued issues. Who knows, I may change my mind years from now wink.
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by Orton10(m): 2:39am On Jan 02, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Oh, so you mean to tell me that EVERY SINGLE THING in the Bible makes sense? And for the record, I'm not mocking anyone I was just pointing out something. To mock would be an indication that I am making fun of God, which I wasn't--like I said, I was trying to point out something.

whatever gal its up to you and just like the other person said, its ur life.
But don't be surprised if you wake up one day at 70 with no kids or 'personal person' to call ur own.
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by Nobody: 3:45am On Jan 02, 2011
@Inkerd_Nerd & All the Other Ladies Who Had The "Balls" To Challenge The Status Quo

First, let me start by commending your stance, not because it is right or wrong, but because you possess the ability to critique a social tradition that does not make sense to you, instead of just blindly accepting the social norm. My mother's situation and the poster's are almost exactly the same, and it greatly pains me---till this day---and even occasionally bring tears to my eyes knowing that her children's happiness came only as a result of the sacrifice of her happiness. If possible, I would gladly choose to be unborn so that she could be happy. Instead, she stayed in a loveless union because of her tribal beliefs.

Marriage and children are a good thing, but, unfortunately they are not for everyone. Whenever I hear someone say that s/he will not have children or get married, it makes me really happy because I know they are not selfish but that they are trying to avoid being unhappy, or trying to avoid pleasing other people but themselves. Unfortunately, only rich people like Oprah Winfrey, George Clooney, Janet Jackson, and many others can make such decisions with minimum vilification.

Some of our African brothers and sisters always talk about how those of us in the West are quick to follow the white man's way of thinking. Hmm, who gave you Christianity? Who gave you education? Who taught you English? Who gave you democracy? If our way of thinking were superior, we would be amongst the top nations in the world; it hurts, but it is the truth. They are quick to tell you that you are mocking God whenever you point out that the Bible---that was given to them by the white man---contains errors. We don't analyze anything, we just accept them hook, line, and sinker. Some id.iots still think only God can change Nigeria. You know what, I have an exam in three days time, but I am not going to study, because the God that I serve is a living God and He will do a new thing in my life. So, I have been fasting and praying and I know that the Holy Ghost will take control of my exam in three days. God bless you all.
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by InkedNerd(f): 7:58am On Jan 02, 2011
Orton1_0:

whatever gal its up to you and just like the other person said, its your life.
But don't be surprised if you wake up one day at 70 with no kids or 'personal person' to call your own.

And why is it so wrong for me to be 70 years old and without a child or partner? Its not a must for me to have those things in my life? Please stop trying to shove your views down my throat. Because I don't think or live as you do does not in any way mean or indicate that I am not living a positive life.

omo_to_dun:

@Inkerd_Nerd & All the Other Ladies Who Had The "Balls" To Challenge The Status Quo

First, let me start by commending your stance, not because it is right or wrong, but because you possess the ability to critique a social tradition that does not make sense to you, instead of just blindly accepting the social norm. My mother's situation and the poster's are almost exactly the same, and it greatly pains me---till this day---and even occasionally bring tears to my eyes knowing that her children's happiness came only as a result of the sacrifice of her happiness. If possible, I would gladly choose to be unborn so that she could be happy. Instead, she stayed in a loveless union because of her tribal beliefs.

Marriage and children are a good thing, but, unfortunately they are not for everyone. Whenever I hear someone say that s/he will not have children or get married, it makes me really happy because I know they are not selfish but that they are trying to avoid being unhappy, or trying to avoid pleasing other people but themselves. Unfortunately, only rich people like Oprah Winfrey, George Clooney, Janet Jackson, and many others can make such decisions with minimum vilification.

Some of our African brothers and sisters always talk about how those of us in the West are quick to follow the white man's way of thinking. Hmm, who gave you Christianity? Who gave you education? Who taught you English? Who gave you democracy? If our way of thinking were superior, we would be amongst the top nations in the world; it hurts, but it is the truth. They are quick to tell you that you are mocking God whenever you point out that the Bible---that was given to them by the white man---contains errors. We don't analyze anything, we just accept them hook, line, and sinker. Some id.iots still think only God can change Nigeria. You know what, I have an exam in three days time, but I am not going to study, because the God that I serve is a living God and He will do a new thing in my life. So, I have been fasting and praying and I know that the Holy Ghost will take control of my exam in three days. God bless you all.

Thank you wink

It's interesting that you mention Oprah Winfrey, George Clooney, Janet Jackson. My sister was having a discussion with her teacher last year about marriage and children and he pointed out to her that many of the rich and "successful" people that "we" look up to are unmarried and without children. The he went on to point out that often time when they do have children they limit the number to one or two and that usually poor people [I'm not sure if that's the proper word I should use] are the ones with many children. Sorry, I hope my little schpiel isn't derailing what you've said. By the way, it's great that you were able to give another perspective when it comes to not having/not having a child. And you also may a wonderful point when you mentioned the African living in the west.
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by sexylogan(m): 9:48am On Jan 02, 2011
@Poster;
U read my mind completely. Don't get me wrong- I applaud those who have desired and have gotten married
but looking around and seeing so many unhappy couples, i've come to doubt the  common opinion that
marriage is a must and that fulfillment can only be found in marriage. Most people marry becuz they are
pressured from family/friends/society to do so. And from my observations, marriage is also a very nice way to
kiss your dreams 'goodbye' in the name of 'making sacrifices for your spouse/family'. that's my 2 pesos.
cool
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jan 02, 2011
A lota pips av totaly wrong perspectiv bout mariage especialy in africa.our moms, granies n many iliterate women refer n c dia hubby's as dia 'oga'.a combinatn of dia boss,father n instructor.even d bible referd 2 marriage as companionship n patnership nt d relatnshp of a boss 2 a surbodinate.ur husband or wife shud b ur friend,partner n lastly lover.anywayz back 2 topic,i discovad in my family my cuzins n sistas mary because dey want 2 b referd 2 as 'mrs' or presure frm parents or my mater r marid,dey endure in it bt wen ppu r around dey put up a front lyk dey r apy 2geda.i'm 25 n dnt plan gethn marhd anytym frm nw.i want 2 enjoy d company of my friends,party n av fun,go whereva i dim please n com bak weneva.of cos dat cant hapen as a marid woman n wen i'm Hot i go 2 my boyfis house.simple as dat.wen i fil mr ryt has com n am done wit lyf as a single il get marid.bt i'm makin d best use of my energy 4 mysef b4 huby n kids stop moi.
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by Orton10(m): 12:46pm On Jan 02, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

And why is it so wrong for me to be 70 years old and without a child or partner? Its not a must for be the have those things in my life. Please stop trying to shove your views down my throat. Because I don't think or live as you do does not in any way mean or indicate that I am not living a positive life.

Ofcourse not dear. And just like i said its ur life and you are entittled to ur own opinions. Everyone must not follow the band-wagon. Sorry if you misunderstood ma point. javascript:void(0);
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by tine(f): 2:20pm On Jan 02, 2011
Where in the Bible is it written that one must get married?
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by Jenifa1: 1:42am On Jan 03, 2011
@OP, they always say that people who come from broken families tend to perpetuate the cycle. I think what you need to do is to look for a good role model marriage. Other wise you will continue to have this idea of marriage as being unhappy or some sort of a trap. Find at least a couple, if not more, that you can look up to as your model of a good marriage. Then things might start changing for you.

For me, I definitely want to get married.  I have all these models of happy marriages around me so I definitely know that marriage is not bad. Of course it takes a lot of work and effort. The best marriages are ones that are based on mutual understanding and love.

Again, my advice is to find a couple (maybe through a church) and study their marriage. If you have a uncle that has a happy marriage, go and spend the weekend in his house to see what he is doing etc. Find those role models and it will help you learn to be a good partner and father that you and your mother didn't have.

Do you have a best friend? 
I admire people, esp. guys, who have bestfriends (esp. if they've had the friends for many years). It shows someone who values relationships. one who doesn't jump from one person to the next based on convenience rather than true loyalty and lasting friendship. These are the types (to me) who can remain married for a lifetime and have rewarding marriages. because a wife is basically a bestfriend +other benefits and drawbacks of course. hahaha
I hope your apprehension doesn't last long and you find an answer to your questions.
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by olanabbey(m): 4:40am On Dec 11, 2011
Av got d̶̲̥̅̊ feeling too. I avnt seen an enviable one in my 'arnd 2 decades of maturity'. Better things to think about out there.
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by Nobody: 8:54am On Dec 11, 2011
In today's world marriage has become fairly irrelevant. Most benefits which stem from marital association can as well be obtained without tying the knot with some woman or man. Additionally, having kids out of wedlock isn't so unfashionable these days. The point is rather that many have been conditioned from childhood to have grandeur illusions about spending the rest of their life with a "wife" or a "husband". Of course, entrenched social norms and mass media continue to stoke these illusions, and the dreamy teenager (like Jenifa_) entrapped by disney's Cinderella or Snow White can only have the most perfect regard for this possibly defective institution.
However, the world grows wiser, with Africa tagging behind. As our world becomes freer, less restrained and better aware of individual circumstances, we can expect that the future will bring succour and respect the way of those who see marriage as no more than another banal human thinking and want no association with it.
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by Hardunnii(f): 2:45pm On Dec 11, 2011
You will know the importance of mariage when you are old, looking forward to mine
Re: Why Dont You Want To Get Married Or What Are Makes You Apprehensive About It? by Adaeze003(f): 4:23pm On Dec 11, 2011
many couples are unhappy today because they didn't have the opportunity to pick that special one. But in this generation we have that opportunity to make that choice, to pick 'the one'.
To the op and all others who dont wanna get married, what if you meet the love of your life and he/she want to get married? Will you pass up that love just because of what you've witnessed in the past?

Well unlike you peeps i'm a strong believer when it comes to love, getting married, having kids, watching them grow, and even seeing grand children. I only hope that's what God wants for me. Growing up i always said i wanted to get married to a man like my dad and i thank God my parents are still happy till this moment! cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do Men Love Lesbians? / Husband Cheated W/ Igbo Girl & She Did Witchcraft / Ever Regretted Once Being A Flirt?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.