Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,670 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? (53943 Views)

Result Controversy: ‘It’s Unfair, Not My Fault’, Mmesoma Says On JAMB 3-Year Ban / NSE Rewards 2020 Best JAMB Engineering Candidates With N16m (Photos) / Anambra University Lecturer Appears In Ph.d Class As ‘Transgender’ (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by ejimatic: 11:48am On Mar 26, 2020
Trello:
Hello everyone - I'm not quite sure whether this is the right section to post this.

Anyways, I currently hold a Master's degree and I also recently gained admission into a PhD program in a UK university but with no funding from the school and the estimated total cost of the tuition and living expenses amount to about #16 million for the 3 years.

So, I decided to come seek the opinion of folks here with better experience if it really worth spending this amount in the long run or should I rather invest this amount?

Thank you in advance!
. Do not waste your money especially if you are not from a rich family. Do your PhD here and use the reaming of your millions later...please think twice .That is my candid and frank advice for you.
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by thesmallgod(m): 11:48am On Mar 26, 2020
desthan:
@OP

What have you done with your BSc??

You mean with your added Master Degree you are still a master in nothing, now you are on a quest to bag a PHD.

Even all the renowed billionaire did not posses all this to be master in their chosen field of endeavour.

So tell us, what do you need all these papers for, when you have nothing creative in your mind, not even one idea that can spin billions
Your thinking is shallow
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by 12inchess: 11:51am On Mar 26, 2020
Paying for a PhD in my opinion is not a really smart idea.If your research is not useful or valuable enough for someone to pay for it whether school or industry then why are you doing it?
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by CoronaVirusPro: 11:51am On Mar 26, 2020
tyup:

remove UI from ur List

Naxo.

4m will buy a PhD there cash down.
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by erico2k2(m): 11:52am On Mar 26, 2020
niyogeol:
I want to assume you live or have lived abroad? If yes, can you kindly enumerate the numbers? Stating minimum wage, hours worked, income after tax and cost of living.

To the best of my knowledge, wages in Europe are not as high as what is obtainable in North America, save for Mexico. For the UK in question, how much is the average entry pay for a graduate? Except for a few who earn big bucks working for USA companies in the UK or the oil industry.

I look forward to your figures. Cheers.
to ur 1st question answer yes, I have lived and worked abroad, I cam here very young o utta Uni in 9ja
The minimum wage as it stands is £8.21, this is what you are paid no matter what you do as far as you are above 25 anywhere in the Uk,Ths is the lowest pay even if you live in one Bush. people do an average of 8.5 hours a day some work 12 hours my 9ja people grin grin. so most cleaners do 60 hours a week or let me say odd jobs etc.
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by erico2k2(m): 11:54am On Mar 26, 2020
Bolognese:
If you’re doing a lab - based research, and if your supervisor is a difficult person, trust me it will affect you.

If he does 8 hours per week and earns minimum wage of £8.21/hour, that will barely cover his transport to and from work/Uni, rent and feeding for the month.

DO you really believe people do only 8 hrs per week?do you know how many students are in the construction industry?

1 Like

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by erico2k2(m): 11:55am On Mar 26, 2020
ernecy:
Dude dont throw money away. try Malaysia , UK is overrated
Seriously? wen the Malaysians are coming to UK?? have a look below

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Research--Policy/Statistics/International-student-statistics-UK-higher-education
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by desthan(m): 11:57am On Mar 26, 2020
thesmallgod:

Your thinking is shallow

Idiot, are you the original poster?
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by FutureFocus: 12:01pm On Mar 26, 2020
CoronaVirusPro:
16 what!

I die there!

Rather come to Nigeria and buy 4 PhD from Unilag, UI, OAU and FUTA

Highest I pay 4 million Naira each

16m for wetin. Na me kill Jesus

is this how you want to portrait Nigerian institutions result holders before the whole world? do you think the certificates will be useful if we all post this kind of comments ? I challenge the authority of the institutions you ridiculed up there to go after you so you can explain your comments in court.
Seun, I think your moderators need to do more. Thank You

6 Likes

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by niyogeol(m): 12:06pm On Mar 26, 2020
erico2k2:

to ur 1st question answer yes, I have lived and worked abroad, I cam here very young o utta Uni in 9ja
The minimum wage as it stands is £8.21, this is what you are paid no matter what you do as far as you are above 25 anywhere in the Uk,Ths is the lowest pay even if you live in one Bush. people do an average of 8.5 hours a day some work 12 hours my 9ja people grin grin. so most cleaners do 60 hours a week or let me say odd jobs etc.
But a student can't work 60 hours a week now. Especially during school term. Believe me, working 60 hours a week doesn't come cheap. In most cases you have to combine two jobs or more which also increases your tax burdens. As most job can't afford to give you such hours as it might warrant overtime payment which they are not ready to pay.

Las las, na body dey hear am from this jacky jobs. Not sustainable if you ask me. So in the real sense of this conversation without derailing the original poster's thread, such money you have quoted can't be earned by a student while studying except you abandon your study to work full time which will violate the terms of the person's visa.
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by sodeide2013: 12:07pm On Mar 26, 2020
Capital NO. I did my postgraduate in the UK. Most of these institutions are there for the money. Specifically, for the money of people from the developing countries who see a UK degree as the ultimate. Nothing special. In my own case, my organization paid. So except you are sponsored, its not worth it.

1 Like

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by erico2k2(m): 12:11pm On Mar 26, 2020
niyogeol:
But a student can't work 60 hours a week now. Especially during school term. Believe me, working 60 hours a week doesn't come cheap. In most cases you have to combine two jobs or more which also increases your tax burdens. As most job can't afford to give you such hours as it might warrant overtime payment which they are not ready to pay.

Las las, na body dey hear am from this jacky jobs. Not sustainable if you ask me. So in the real sense of this conversation without derailing the original poster's thread, such money you have quoted can't be earned by a student while studying except you abandon your study to work full time which will violate the terms of the person's visa.
aome jobs run 24 hours so you cover your bits, and yest it would violate ur student visa, but like everything in teh Uk, what happens in teh Uk stays in the Uk, nah ogboni meeting nor B everything we go talk on line, if you check this link you will have an idea how good the uk schools are
https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Research--Policy/Statistics/International-student-statistics-UK-higher-education
last last, to hustle abroad mean ur brain must work at high frequency at all time even wen U r asleep,
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by Orpe7(m): 12:17pm On Mar 26, 2020
Worth it
As long as you dont comeback with corona
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by jesmond3945: 12:18pm On Mar 26, 2020
govomotors:
I spoke with someone in the US with a PhD a week ago. He informed me that if he knew what he know now, he would have not gone for his PhD.

I asked him why? He said now and days those with Bsc with professional certificate in their chosen career are in more demand then those with PhD without these professional certificate.

He advise one should pursue professional certificate courses instead of PhD.

dont listen to him. during phd you acquire skills that professional certifications will not give you. ask any phd student in a stem field. most of them knew nothing about programming and using hardware at the beginning but now they are good. This is because the phd required them to use it or else they wont graduate. Also, during phd you have opportunity to learn and acquire skills as much as you can because afterwards it becomes hard.

3 Likes

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by dingbang(m): 12:22pm On Mar 26, 2020
Waste of money.. Please use it and start a cool business.
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by ezegenigbonine: 12:22pm On Mar 26, 2020
CoronaVirusPro:
16 what!

I die there!

Rather come to Nigeria and buy 4 PhD from Unilag, UI, OAU and FUTA

Highest I pay 4 million Naira each

16m for wetin. Na me kill Jesus

Arsene Wenger
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by CoronaVirusPro: 12:24pm On Mar 26, 2020
FutureFocus:

is this how you want to portrait Nigerian institutions result holders before the whole world? do you think the certificates will be useful if we all post this kind of comments ? I challenge the authority of the institutions you ridiculed up there to go after you so you can explain your comments in court.
Seun, I think your moderators need to do more. Thank You

Tales by moonlight
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by CreamyDency: 12:28pm On Mar 26, 2020
post=87770686:
Normally, you should look at the salary scale of the people doing what you will get to be doing after you are through with your 3 years PhD program,
juxtapose it and weigh your options if it is worth it.

That is the only reasonable thing we can advice you right now with the little information you gave up there.

All the very best.

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by HRMK: 12:29pm On Mar 26, 2020
Trello:
Hello everyone - I'm not quite sure whether this is the right section to post this.

Anyways, I currently hold a Master's degree and I also recently gained admission into a PhD program in a UK university but with no funding from the school and the estimated total cost of the tuition and living expenses amount to about #16 million for the 3 years.

So, I decided to come seek the opinion of folks here with better experience if it really worth spending this amount in the long run or should I rather invest this amount?

Thank you in advance!
this looks more like a foolish or stupid question to me!#16m for 3yr phd course and u come back jobless!invest it in biz!!
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by fof1: 12:31pm On Mar 26, 2020
post=87770686:
Normally, you should look at the salary scale of the people doing what you will get to be doing after you are through with your 3 years PhD program,
juxtapose it and weigh your options if it is worth it.

That is the only reasonable thing we can advice you right now with the little information you gave up there.

All the very best.

ALWAYS USING THIS PLURAL 'WE' CAN ADVISE... ARE U CHAIRMAN OF D ADVISERS COUNCIL? WHO APPOINTED YOU...? PLS STOP THAT PARLANCE AND OF ARROGATING TO URSELF EMPTY STUFF WITH NO BENEFITS.
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by able20(m): 12:32pm On Mar 26, 2020
Trello:

Thank you in advance!
Is your question a project or.... Let
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by fof1: 12:37pm On Mar 26, 2020
Trello:

Thank you in advance!

PLS WHY NOT LOOK OUT FOR OTHER SCHOOLS WITH BENEFITS.? 3 YEARS IS 36MONTHS. THAT MONEY CAN BE UTILIZED AND MULTIPLIED ALSO IN UR FIRST TWO YEARS WHILE IN SCHOOL STILL... DEPENDING ON UR COURSE OF STUDY, IF U ARE NOT PAYING ALL UP FRONT, USING THE BTC CRYPTOCURRENCY SPACE WHILE THERE. CONGRATS. STAY SAFE.
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by pmoye(m): 12:37pm On Mar 26, 2020
I cannot reveal too many specific details here, but suffice it to state that I got an MSc degree from the University College London.

frog12:
what did you study in uk and germany? i like your post.

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by DexterousOne(m): 12:46pm On Mar 26, 2020
erico2k2:

This is one of the major problems in Nigeria, everybody wants to be a Businessman and think they can do Business, The business people in Nigeria are living in a false Economy cos once a while they suffer the negligence of others.If all business where to be regulated as per the initial basis of doing business, the vast majority of them will shut down!

True that

1 Like

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by tyup(m): 12:48pm On Mar 26, 2020
CoronaVirusPro:

Naxo.
4m will buy a PhD there cash down.
that's not possible
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by obstead200(m): 12:56pm On Mar 26, 2020
francescainnoce:
Those that don't have money will say "it isn't worth it"
Those that have the money will say "it is worth it"
The Optimist will say "It is worth it"
The pessimist will say "how can you even think about that"
As a realist, I would say this: studying for the PhD should have a reason why and that justifies the intention to spend 16 milli. Besides, 16 million is only an estimate. I spent over 20 million now. The UK educational system is very promising and encouraging and why the expense is overwhelming, the quality of education is second to non. Given that you are in line with your study, and with God on your side obviously, you can actually gain more after the completion of your study. Statistically, a lecturer earns at least £35k and above and the remuneration structure is fab! Now, if you don't intend to go into academia or research study, any employer will value your degree; it comes with a handsome package and a very well due respect. Alternatively, you can start your own firm because you will most definitely have an innovative idea during these 3 years programme undoubtedly,
For me, the money counts but contributing to the general body of knowledge is a bolster.
aunty, u are not being realistic. Maybe u are one of those silverspoon fed kids who are guaranteed a job placement back here in Naija. Or u are just schooling for the fun of it.(maybe because Ur husband wants a wife with a PhD).

Now listen, to be realistic, a PhD is basically a means to an end. And the end is simply more money.

So, for me, I can't spend that amount on any PhD except I have a position locked down waiting for me to step into as soon as I am done. Or unless I am very sure of getting a job placement in that foreign land as soon as I am done. If not, then the only way I can undertake such a PhD is through scholarship.

Trust me, PhD is research based. Which means u can do it anywhere, as long as u are willing to do the donkey work, u will still turn out a wonderful research and contribute greatly to the body of knowledge.
I however, had to admit that research is easier over there in UK cos u have access to prime data sources, premium online libraries and current methodologies.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by benji93: 12:57pm On Mar 26, 2020
Honestly. This is quite unconventional. Why would you spend your money pursuing a Ph.D? This is effectively a research degree. No right-thinking person does that. I can only assume you are doing it out of desperation. Most reputable institutions usually offer funded PhD positions. Can you tell us the name of the school and your potential research supervisors? Did you submit your own research proposal- Was your original intention to get a professor to supervise your research, given that you already have a project proposal? Can you let us in on your research proposal, if you have one?
Trello:

Thank you in advance!
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by Yankee101: 12:59pm On Mar 26, 2020
1. PhD in what field?
2. People don't usually pay for their phd. You look for funding. Usually you can get funding at any stage of your PhD
3. See if you could begin and get an assistantship later
4. Convert any naira you want to use into dollar today. More depreciation coming

1 Like

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by erico2k2(m): 1:00pm On Mar 26, 2020
obstead200:
aunty, u are not being realistic. Maybe u are one of those silverspoon fed kids who are guaranteed a job placement back here in Naija. Or u are just schooling for the fun of it.(maybe because Ur husband wants a wife with a PhD).

Now listen, to be realistic, a PhD is basically a means to an end. And the end is simply more money.

So, for me, I can't spend that amount on any PhD except I have a position locked down waiting for me to step into as soon as I am done. Or unless I am very sure of getting a job placement in that foreign land as soon as I am done. If not, then the only way I can undertake such a PhD is through scholarship.

Trust me, PhD is research based. Which means u can do it anywhere, as long as u are willing to do the donkey work, u will still turn out a wonderful research and contribute greatly to the body of knowledge.
I however, had to admit that research is easier over there in UK cos u have access to prime data sources, premium online libraries and current methodologies.
where can U research the origin of electrostatic Energy Electromagnetism in Nigeria as an aspiring PhD holder in Elect Elect?
Sometimes I just wonder how some of us reason!

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Top 5 Student Visa Interview Questions And Answers To Study Abroad / 7-Year-Old Son Demands Iphone From His Father, And His Father Demands This. / Unizik 2012/2013 Post Utme & Admission Update.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.