Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,515 members, 7,816,250 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:14 AM

How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) (2185 Views)

Ways To Identify SA Tribes By Their Traditional Dance Moves. / Which Of The Major Nigerian Languages Would You Love To Learn? / Nigeria Tribes By Developmental Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 8:13pm On Mar 30, 2020
As a Nigerian, have you ever been mistaken to be from a particular tribe while you're not? Have you been told you look more of a neighbouring tribe than your very own? Some perhaps may have had to deal with such situations of mistaken tribal identity, especially when your parents are from different tribes or ethnic groups.

Personally, I've been often times associated with a tribe different from my true tribe. This only makes me realize the natural blend, close proximity, biological similarities and physical or geographical closeness of the Nigerian tribes and ethnic groups.

Here's an impressive way I identity the peoples of the 3 major Nigerian tribes and ethnic nationalities. Below are some distinct features or characteristics for their easy identification. This is strictly my personal opinion though.

On a naturally positive note:

1) if he looks friendly, reserved or native, he's most likely Hausa
2) if he looks muscular, audacious or showy, he's most likely Igbo
3) if he looks educated, elaborate or calm/collected, he's most likely a Yoruba

I didn't give a juxtaposition of 'Hausa-Fulani'. Both groups are distinct for me. But I think the Fulanis are cool too, even if many are of the opinion that the average Fulani appears archaic, crude and temeritous. In my opinion, they are somewhat tribal oriented, and appear pale, plain and simple. Their homely and harmless-looking females are arguably one of the prettiest in Africa.

The Nigerian people is an amazing mix of heterogeneous but closely related groups. One way or the other, we take some form of semblance to each other tribally and physiologically.
Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by PEPPERified: 8:16pm On Mar 30, 2020
Teacher: show me a mumu post?
Me: ☝�This is a mumu post.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 8:26pm On Mar 30, 2020
PEPPERified:

grin

Okay. cheesy
Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by ukukaegbu(m): 8:40pm On Mar 30, 2020
PEPPERified:

The OP is right. All those agbero and omonile that constitute nuisance all over Lagos are cool, calm and collected. Smh

8 Likes

Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 8:55pm On Mar 30, 2020
ukukaegbu:

The OP is right. All those agbero and omonile that constitute nuisance all over Lagos are cool, calm and collected. Smh

Hmmmm. honestly, you have a point. But how about the Omoluabis, responsible Oduduwans. What's your take about them?

learn to be positive mister.
Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by yyba: 9:14pm On Mar 30, 2020
you can also identify some of them through their YAM LEGS grin
Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by chiiraq802(m): 9:16pm On Mar 30, 2020
You tryna unite the 3 major ethnic groups in 9ja No way....#I sumhow njoy the online tribal war grin
Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 9:33pm On Mar 30, 2020
yyba:
you can also identify some of them through their YAM LEGS grin

Now this is very uncalled for and unacceptable.

There are 7 types of tribalist
1.Feel good tribalist
2.Thrift tribalist
3.Contentious tribalist
4.Provocative tribalist
5.Natural tribalist
6.Foolhardy tribalist
7. End time tribalist
Which are you?!

1 Like

Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 9:38pm On Mar 30, 2020
chiiraq802:
You tryna unite the 3 major ethnic groups in 9ja
[b] No way....#I sumhow njoy the online tribal war [b/] grin

I see. I'm not trying to fuel anybody's appetite for contention and division and hateful discord. Anyone who wants to enjoy tribal spat can do that elsewhere. Ladies and gentlemen, tread with caution.
Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by nsiba: 12:51pm On Mar 31, 2020
HolyTrinity:
As a Nigerian, have you ever been mistaken to be from a particular tribe while you're not? Have you been told you look more of a neighbouring tribe than your very own? Some perhaps may have had to deal with such situations of mistaken tribal identity, especially when your parents are from different tribes or ethnic groups.

Personally, I've been often times associated with a tribe different from my true tribe. This only makes me realize the natural blend, close proximity, biological similarities and physical or geographical closeness of the Nigerian tribes and ethnic groups.

Here's an impressive way I identity the peoples of the 3 major Nigerian tribes and ethnic nationalities. Below are some distinct features or characteristics for their easy identification. This is strictly my personal opinion though.

I didn't give a juxtaposition of 'Hausa-Fulani'. Both groups are distinct for me. But I think the Fulanis are cool too, even if many are of the opinion that the average Fulani appears archaic, crude and temeritous. In my opinion, they are somewhat tribal oriented, and appear pale, plain and simple. Their homely and harmless-looking females are arguably one of the prettiest in Africa.

The Nigerian people is an amazing mix of heterogeneous but closely related groups. One way or the other, we take some form of semblance to each other tribally and physiologically.

When you see a nonsensical post

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Lovelyn451(f): 6:16pm On Mar 31, 2020
If he looks dirty?? Yolobaaaaaaa

4 Likes

Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 6:29pm On Mar 31, 2020
HolyTrinity:

MC Oluomo is calm, collected and educated. That's why he attacked the uneducated voters on election day with his gangs of PhD holders in agbero and owomida.

3 Likes

Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 6:30pm On Mar 31, 2020
nsiba:
When you see a nonsensical post
Louder please

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 7:41pm On Apr 03, 2020
MelesZenawi:

MC Oluomo is calm, collected and educated. That's why he attacked the uneducated voters on election day with his gangs of PhD holders in agbero and owomida.

Mister, calm down. OK. calm down. This isn't a contest, just an opinion.

A poignant response would have garnered more credence than all that ambiguous and equivocal incoherences (at least so it seem to me). No need blowing smoke or stoking quenched flames.
Let's reason like matured adults. Blessings
Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 7:44pm On Apr 03, 2020
Lovelyn451:
If he looks dirty?? Yolobaaaaaaa

If you're a female, I really I'm disappointed. Perhaps you're a gender impersonator. Lemme assume you are.

Take note friend. I have no designs on your virtue.
Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 7:46pm On Apr 03, 2020
Tribalism has buried many in the abyss of ethnocentric foolery. Entities without qualities. Human beings bereft of what 'being humans' entails. Substances lacking essence. Ignoble and ignorant. When common sensibilities is lacking, nonsensicalities reign supreme. Watch it pals and don't fall victims of arousing but unnecessary and unwarranted divisive and intrusive reactions that breeds acrimony, animosity and enmity. Your morality defines your humanity.
Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 7:50pm On Apr 03, 2020
Honestly, I can't stop wondering. As harmless as this post is, the reactions are appalling.

Now, I wonder what misplaced sense of identity brought certain folks in here. Pls, y'all should do me and those who have meaningful contributions to make a little favour by ignoring this post or better still, make use of your device's button to escape or exit this thread when you come across it. What's the whole getting upset about?
Just ignore and pretend not to see this post pessimistic people. You'll be superfine and relieved. It's a guarantee. Don't get a headache or a hot blood over my realistic and natural opinion. Try only to prove it's deceptive falsity if you think it is, or appreciate its infallible accuracy. That's all. Blessings.

1 Like

Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 7:53pm On Apr 03, 2020
HolyTrinity:

Mister, calm down. OK. calm down. This isn't a contest, just an opinion.

A poignant response would have garnered more credence than all that ambiguous and equivocal incoherences (at least so it seem to me). No need blowing smoke or stoking quenched flames.
Let's reason like matured adults. Blessings

Just shut..

Your display of bias and tribalism is unparalleled.
Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by K254725: 8:23pm On Apr 03, 2020
An outsiders persective cool

All African tribes have differentiated phenotypes.

* Most Yoruba have prominent jawbone's, tend to have a small facial features. Tall

* Igbos mostly have prominent facial features, heavily built

* Hausa ... Slender features and body. Thin boned

1 Like

Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 03, 2020
Lemme douse the tension in here a bit and clarify myself more on the intent and perspective from which I'm speaking.

Here are reasons for my assertions. I'm a bit deductive but more of being inductive. Lemme reiterate clearly that the below statements are not to calm or soothe anyone's ego and moreover, there's no disdainful or fabricated fact about them. I'm speaking plainly from a rational, logical and a positive point of view and frame of mind. I'm simply voicing out my own observation with an open mind.

All you're about to read are without any iota of bias irrespective of anyone's opinion and most importantly, they're realistic and observable traits depicting the nature of the people I'm describing. Henceforth, I employ only those without tribal sentiments and ethnocentrism or nonrigid tribalists to comment. A reasonable and open mind isn't hard to identify.

Here me out clearly. My personal views:

Your first impression of an Hausa is that he's nice and peace loving. He looks friendly and carries this aura of culturality with him. On first meeting with him, you realise his cool headedness, easygoing nature (which i allude mostly to their tamer temperament) and his affinity to his nativity (cultural lifestyle). With time his friendly disposition becomes noticeable. The Hausa also show tribal solidarity and inclusiveness better than other tribes. Aside being instigated to go violent and destructive, an average Hausa is reserved and approachable. An evident fact about them also is their honesty in trade, merchandise and business.

Once you see an Igbo, he either strikes you as an industrious fellow or a hustler, and the majority of them appear strongly built. Every tribe has its own fair share of great looking men but it seems the Igbo are nurtured to have good looks and solid bodies. When blessed with monetary and material resources, they naturally have this tendency to be exuberant or showy. The Igbo more than any other tribe are prone to show more attitude during confrontation. This attitude they may exhibit sometimes out of proportion. Another noticeable trait of the Igbo is his self oriented and opinionated lifestyle. To the Igbo man, he knows no king. He is strongly of the believe that everybody is a King in his or her own domain. Their choice of lifestyle I believe is their way of living fulfilled.

Ever wonder why the Yorubas are progressive and enlightened? It is because they indeed are by virtue of their open-mindedness and progressive mentality. On sight, a Yoruba may strikes you as one intelligent or corporate fellow or one with a calmly disposition. Perhaps their educational exposure, cultural practicality, tribal uniqueness and natural acumen makes them so. Notwithstanding, the Yorubas exhibits some level of elaborateness; a noticeable trait in their daily life. A Yoruba's loquaciousness, charisma, festive nature, and quest for pleasure eloquently attests to his intricacy and personal orientation and not necessarily as a result of his ethnic complexity.

Now, make una chill abeg.

1 Like

Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 8:33pm On Apr 03, 2020
K254725:

* Most Yoruba have prominent jawbone's, tend to have a small facial features. Tall

God bless you. This is what I expected. Not some emotionally overzealous tribal defenders. Thanks Anon.

Meaningful contributions, clarifications and additions. Simple.
Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by K254725: 8:34pm On Apr 03, 2020
HolyTrinity:

God bless you. This is what I expected. Not some emotionally overzealous tribal defenders. Thanks Anon.

Meaning contributions, clarifications and additions. Simple.
cool

1 Like

Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 8:44pm On Apr 03, 2020
K254725:

Amazingly, a persons physiological outlook depicts to an extent his/her temperament/personality/nature. Tribally, a peoples nature can be use to classify their tribal behavioural patterns.

Once again, I appreciate this contribution.
Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Lovelyn451(f): 8:51pm On Apr 03, 2020
Yea thats the plan to disappoint your tribal foolishness...are there no educated calm reserved looking guys in every tribe? how da hell are yorubas reserved sef? And I'm sure in ur life you've never heard that name lovely..well its a female name
HolyTrinity:

If you're a female, I really I'm disappointed. Perhaps you're a gender impersonator. Lemme assume you are.

Take note friend. I have no designs on your virtue.
Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 7:55am On Apr 05, 2020
HolyTrinity:
[s]Lemme douse the tension in here a bit and clarify myself more on the intent and perspective from which I'm speaking.

Here are reasons for my assertions. I'm a bit deductive but more of being inductive. Lemme reiterate clearly that the below statements are not to calm or soothe anyone's ego and moreover, there's no disdainful or fabricated fact about them. I'm speaking plainly from a rational, logical and a positive point of view and frame of mind. I'm simply voicing out my own observation with an open mind.

All you're about to read are without any iota of bias irrespective of anyone's opinion and most importantly, they're realistic and observable traits depicting the nature of the people I'm describing. Henceforth, I employ only those without tribal sentiments and ethnocentrism or nonrigid tribalists to comment. A reasonable and open mind isn't hard to identify.

Here me out clearly. My personal views:

Your first impression of an Hausa is that he's nice and peace loving. He looks friendly and carries this aura of culturality with him. On first meeting with him, you realise his cool headedness, easygoing nature (which i allude mostly to their tamer temperament) and his affinity to his nativity (cultural lifestyle). With time his friendly disposition becomes noticeable. The Hausa also show tribal solidarity and inclusiveness better than other tribes. Aside being instigated to go violent and destructive, an average Hausa is reserved and approachable. An evident fact about them also is their honesty in trade, merchandise and business.

Once you see an Igbo, he either strikes you as an industrious fellow or a hustler, and the majority of them appear strongly built. Every tribe has its own fair share of great looking men but it seems the Igbo are nurtured to have good looks and solid bodies. When blessed with monetary and material resources, they naturally have this tendency to be exuberant or showy. The Igbo more than any other tribe are prone to show more attitude during confrontation. This attitude they may exhibit sometimes out of proportion. Another noticeable trait of the Igbo is his self oriented and opinionated lifestyle. To the Igbo man, he knows no king. He is strongly of the believe that everybody is a King in his or her own domain. Their choice of lifestyle I believe is their way of living fulfilled.

Ever wonder why the Yorubas are progressive and enlightened? It is because they indeed are by virtue of their open-mindedness and progressive mentality. On sight, a Yoruba may strikes you as one intelligent or corporate fellow or one with a calmly disposition. Perhaps their educational exposure, cultural practicality, tribal uniqueness and natural acumen makes them so. Notwithstanding, the Yorubas exhibits some level of elaborateness; a noticeable trait in their daily life. A Yoruba's loquaciousness, charisma, festive nature, and quest for pleasure eloquently attests to his intricacy and personal orientation and not necessarily as a result of his ethnic complexity.

Now, make una chill abeg.[/s]

Mc oluomo is educated, progressive and enlightened.

Enlightened under brown roof Republic.

Whenever nonsense surfaces, no interpretation is needed. This post is one he'll of nonsense that should be thrown to dustbin of history.

Learn to be neat before talking of enlightenment. Dirtiness is a disease.

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 7:56am On Apr 05, 2020
Lovelyn451:
Yea thats the plan to disappoint your tribal foolishness...are there no educated calm reserved looking guys in every tribe? how da hell are yorubas reserved sef? And I'm sure in ur life you've never heard that name lovely..well its a female name

Don't stress yourself much. That's how they go about lying about on internet.

Touch them and they shout we are sophisticated.

Don't always take them serious. They don't know how to mind their business.

1 Like

Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by IamAtikulate: 11:52am On Apr 05, 2020
Higher proportion of people in the SE and SS speaks better English than Yorubas.

The acclaimed Yoruba literacy is a hoax.

Deceive those who has not been to the waste land.

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by WannaHowzit(m): 4:45pm On Apr 05, 2020
[quote author=HolyTrinity post=.

.[/quote]

In that case then, I'm yet to meet a Hausa or Yoruba here in South Africa.

Definitely met No.2 - not impressed
Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by kayfra: 5:00pm On Apr 05, 2020
IamAtikulate:
Higher proportion of people in the SE and SS speaks better English than Yorubas.

The acclaimed Yoruba literacy is a hoax.

Deceive those who has not been to the waste land.

Speaking English is not a sign or proof of an enlightened and educated mind.

Your shallow and boisterous post reinforces the stereotype. You are a dumb Biafran

2 Likes

Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 3:56am On Apr 07, 2020
To every rule/fact there's an exception, and so as regards my tribal identification analogy, there may be people from each tribes who don't fit into the identifying marks. However, if the majority does irrespective of the few who don't meet the standard, the rule/fact/opinion is not negated.

I've met people, seen people and related with people from the 3 major Nigerian tribes, and I've done much observations in no small measure. So I know what I'm saying, and the opinions/arguments of those who don't buy my idea does not count as long as they have no overwhelming prove or superior counter opinion.

I strongly believe that the categories of people such as: the ignorant, the unintelligible, the illogical, the irrational, the mischievous, the contemptible and the pessimists are the ones kicking against all I've said with misguided logic of understanding.

Sound reasoning, profitable wisdom and natural intelligence are seriously required to get my points. I apologize if my points are too hard to grasp.

Lemme do a little bit of contrasting and then prove myself beyond doubt. Beyond doubt I say, not beyond unbelief or deliberate disbelief.

First of, Nairaland itself is a prove of my analogy to a minimal level, but I won't say why to avoid confrontations or further contentions. Only the prudent will get it.

Here's a contrast. If I'm asked to differentiate a Chinese, Japanese and Korean. I would say ''if he looks handsome or the shorter of the 3, he's Korean. If he looks educated, skilled, and speaks better English amongst the 3, he's Chinese, if he looks rich or more corporate, he's Japanese ".

This doesn't mean all Koreans or Chinese and Japanese fit into the descriptions given, or that the descriptions are entirely peculiar to them alone. Notwithstanding, the descriptions best identify the groups maximally or proportionately to a level of acceptability.

People who are conversant with these nationalities (through movies, TVs, real life meetings, or residents in their countries) may decide to figure out the correctness of my claim of pick a clue for easy identification from there.

That I said the Korean, based on my realistic and virtual opinion, is more handsome should not aggravate the Japanese, or make the Chinese envious and bitter because they want to be addressed that way. And vice versa.

A quality may be peculiar to one more than the other, that doesn't mean that the quality is only present in one. Everyone has his major identifiable and identifying unique qualities. This uniqueness may be ascribed on the levels of proportion.

Coming to my initial post, there are criteria for identifications. They could be cultural, biological or behavioral. The biological aspect involves the superficial (facial) or morphological makeup. I gave my analogy on the basic realistic and almost unmistakable criteria for a first meeting impression.

Now, on a more explicitly realistic ground, virtual pictorial proves and visible real life proves will do justification to my theoretical analogy.

Familiarity with other tribes is key to understanding this prove, else one will remain in confusion while putting up baseless arguments. Only good observers with discerning skills and a honest mindset will realize this out.

I repeat. On first sight, before major consideration is given to character (which is strictly a personal trait but may be influenced tribally), when you meet either of the 3 tribes, these visible traits help to identify them firsthand (there's a negligible exception though).

Try put this to a test by deciding a person's tribe mentally before asking.

1) Appearance/Physique
For a Yoruba, he may likely look collected, educated, corporate or festive. For an Hausa, he may look reserved, friendly, peaceful or cultural/native. For an Igbo, he may look muscular/heavily built, audacious, showy or exposed.

2) Facially:
Most Yoruba have prominent expression, piercing or wanton eyes. For an Hausa; quiet eyes or a plain expression. For an Igbo, you observe a prying eyes or an astute expression.

3) Behaviour
Yoruba: loquacious, expressive, organized. Hence, we may say intentionally that Yorubas are mostly Sanguine, Melancholic and Choleric
Hausa: quiet, reserved, subordinative. Majority may therefore be Phlegmatic, Melancholic and Choleric.
Igbo: self oriented, competitive, audacious. Majority may be Choleric, Sanguine and Melancholic.

Note, the above behavioral patterns are tribal inclusive, temperament exclusive and environment dependent. This means tribal or cultural upbringing, personality and environment shapes the basis of these identifications.

For instance, a Nigerian born and brought up in South Africa may not exhibit his local tribal behaviour but may show his tribal biological features and personality traits.

Therefore, the exactness of this identifying clues are based strictly on tribal settings and upbringing.

Finally, I believe it may be a little, if not totally hard for kids (in a figurative sense) to comprehend my writings, but as I've heard people say in here, ''Nairaland isn't for kids''. I sincerely want to believe this is true. I therefore implore all in here to be civil and responsible with our speeches.
Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 6:43am On Apr 07, 2020
HolyTrinity:
[s]To every rule/fact there's an exception, and so as regards my tribal identification analogy, there may be people from each tribes who don't fit into the identifying marks. However, if the majority does irrespective of the few who don't meet the standard, the rule/fact/opinion is not negated.

I've met people, seen people and related with people from the 3 major Nigerian tribes, and I've done much observations in no small measure. So I know what I'm saying, and the opinions/arguments of those who don't buy my idea does not count as long as they have no overwhelming prove or superior counter opinion.

I strongly believe that the categories of people such as: the ignorant, the unintelligible, the illogical, the irrational, the mischievous, the contemptible and the pessimists are the ones kicking against all I've said with misguided logic of understanding.

Sound reasoning, profitable wisdom and natural intelligence are seriously required to get my points. I apologize if my points are too hard to grasp.

Lemme do a little bit of contrasting and then prove myself beyond doubt. Beyond doubt I say, not beyond unbelief or deliberate disbelief.

First of, Nairaland itself is a prove of my analogy to a minimal level, but I won't say why to avoid confrontations or further contentions. Only the prudent will get it.

Here's a contrast. If I'm asked to differentiate a Chinese, Japanese and Korean. I would say ''if he looks handsome or the shorter of the 3, he's Korean. If he looks educated, skilled, and speaks better English amongst the 3, he's Chinese, if he looks rich or more corporate, he's Japanese ".

This doesn't mean all Koreans or Chinese and Japanese fit into the descriptions given, or that the descriptions are entirely peculiar to them alone. Notwithstanding, the descriptions best identify the groups maximally or proportionately to a level of acceptability.

People who are conversant with these nationalities (through movies, TVs, real life meetings, or residents in their countries) may decide to figure out the correctness of my claim of pick a clue for easy identification from there.

That I said the Korean, based on my realistic and virtual opinion, is more handsome should not aggravate the Japanese, or make the Chinese envious and bitter because they want to be addressed that way. And vice versa.

A quality may be peculiar to one more than the other, that doesn't mean that the quality is only present in one. Everyone has his major identifiable and identifying unique qualities. This uniqueness may be ascribed on the levels of proportion.

Coming to my initial post, there are criteria for identifications. They could be cultural, biological or behavioral. The biological aspect involves the superficial (facial) or morphological makeup. I gave my analogy on the basic realistic and almost unmistakable criteria for a first meeting impression.

Now, on a more explicitly realistic ground, virtual pictorial proves and visible real life proves will do justification to my theoretical analogy.

Familiarity with other tribes is key to understanding this prove, else one will remain in confusion while putting up baseless arguments. Only good observers with discerning skills and a honest mindset will realize this out.

I repeat. On first sight, before major consideration is given to character (which is strictly a personal trait but may be influenced tribally), when you meet either of the 3 tribes, these visible traits help to identify them firsthand (there's a negligible exception though).

Try put this to a test by deciding a person's tribe mentally before asking.

1) Appearance/Physique
For a Yoruba, he may likely look collected, educated, corporate or festive. For an Hausa, he may look reserved, friendly, peaceful or cultural/native. For an Igbo, he may look muscular/heavily built, audacious, showy or exposed.

2) Facially:
Most Yoruba have prominent expression, piercing or wanton eyes. For an Hausa; quiet eyes or a plain expression. For an Igbo, you observe a prying eyes or an astute expression.

3) Behaviour
Yoruba: loquacious, expressive, organized. Hence, we may say intentionally that Yorubas are mostly Sanguine, Melancholic and Choleric
Hausa: quiet, reserved, subordinative. Majority may therefore be Phlegmatic, Melancholic and Choleric.
Igbo: self oriented, competitive, audacious. Majority may be Choleric, Sanguine and Melancholic.

Note, the above behavioral patterns are tribal inclusive, temperament exclusive and environment dependent. This means tribal or cultural upbringing, personality and environment shapes the basis of these identifications.

For instance, a Nigerian born and brought up in South Africa may not exhibit his local tribal behaviour but may show his tribal biological features and personality traits.

Therefore, the exactness of this identifying clues are based strictly on tribal settings and upbringing.

Finally, I believe it may be a little, if not totally hard for kids (in a figurative sense) to comprehend my writings, but as I've heard people say in here, ''Nairaland isn't for kids''. I sincerely want to believe this is true. I therefore implore all in here to be civil and responsible with our speeches.[/s]

Ezi....

Corporate and collected dirtiness.

Enemies everywhere calling themselves researcher..

If you really want to do research concentrate on your own people and let others hear word Abeg..
Re: How To Identify The 3 Major Nigerian Tribes (by B.O.E.) by Nobody: 6:10pm On Apr 11, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Ezi....

Corporate and collected dirtiness.

Enemies everywhere calling themselves researcher..

If you really want to do research concentrate on your own people and let others hear word Abeg..

laffs....
MelesZenawiiiiii! Calm down brother. Relax. You're a bit comical & comedic and at the same time haughty. It needs not be so as per the haughty chagrin. Imagine coming back after sometimes out only to see what you put up. See the way you ruled out my writings and branded it "corporate dirtiness'' as if I wrote jargons and as if we're chiding.

I appreciate notwithstanding your advice. You see, I love my people. And who're my people? Anyone I can show love.

By God's grace, my fam is tribally mixed. So, don't think I'm against anyone. Normally, my statement couldn't have triggered you if you weren't repulsive of hateful of the great Yorubas. I wonder what your reaction would have been if I had written terrible things about them.

Surprising how despite not knowing my tribe, you conveniently linked me to being Yoruba. My emphasis is on a distinctive and positive way of identifying tribes but, I'm beginning to wonder beyond measure why my ascriptions concerning the Yorubas seem not to go down well with you at all.

I do have a strong cultural heritage and tribal affiliation, but that doesn't make me a tribalist. I choose not to. Moreover, I don't think I want to dishonour God by despising any of His creature. And yes, I'm an Oduduwan from great Ife with so many intertribal links (majorly Edo, Igbo, Ebira, Okun, Ibibio) and have been privileged to visit all the regions of Nigeria.

Tribalism did a negative restructuring/reconditioning/repositioning of our mindset to be unsavory towards each other. Don't let tribalism get you psyched. Don't get entrenched in it's mire. It's consuming and not healthy.

Unlike in the past, any tribal issue at present is a much volatile or sensitive one, such that, we can't tell truth to ourselves anymore on tribal grounds. Some can't even see the good in others. No matter how good a person is, he can't be good to someone who abhors him.

Tribal bigotry will not do us any good. Tolerance is all we need at this time. Let's appreciate what is to be appreciated while we can. Life is a lease, a lesson.

Someone once said honestly and truthfully; "If you are emotionally attached to your tribe, religion or political leaning to the point that truth and justice become secondary considerations, your education is useless. Your exposure is useless. If you cannot reason beyond petty sentiments, you are a liability to mankind.". These are the words of Dr. Chuba Okadigbo (1941-2003).

So, MelesZenawi, I take your tribal slurs as an unintentional misunderstanding. Any potential apology is already taken in good faith. Not that I'm demanding an apology, but I'm only asking henceforth for civility and positivity in our interactions coupled with respect for our individual opinions. I'm sure you don't know who I am.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ogun Women Are Deadly In Marriage!!! / Why Are There Nigerians With Chinese Names And Language Systems? / Increase In Bleaching Rate In South East Nigeria(snapshot)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.