Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,955 members, 7,817,803 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:00 PM

Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) (77840 Views)

Life In Cyprus Is Not Easy - Nigerian Man Shares His Experiences (Photos) / Out And About In Limerick City, Ireland - Nairalander Shares Experience. Photos / Adventure In Ireland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by 6digitscomrade: 12:08pm On Apr 01, 2020
Please stop misleading the people.
It’s enough for people to go to rent.ie and see the real rent prices. In Cork to rent a room in a shared apartment is at least 400eur, that not including bills. A studio apartment just about 1000eur a month. 2 bedroom 1500eur. There is also no way somebody can survive on 50-70eur groceries. A little bag of egusi is 5eur. 2kg of good quality ponds is 10eur a bag. An average sized yam is 8eur. Electricity a month is not less than 50eur in summer. Make your maths people.
You still claim that people can have a good live with 350eur? It’s better than nothing yes, but it doesn’t replace the income people have lost.

dainformant:
My experience in Ireland so far has been trailed with mixed feelings due to the coronavirus. The country is experiencing its worst ever pandemic - with nearly 3000 confirmed cases of the virus and 54 deaths recorded. The government has ordered a lockdown for some months to curb the spread and minimize the effect of the virus in the European country.

The nationwide lockdown has left the country’s public spaces hushed and deserted amid overwhelming public support for extreme measures to control the pandemic. Dublin city and other usually bustling urban centres are now like ghost towns..

In my area in Limerick city, the vast majority of the population appear to be following appeals to stay at home except to buy food, care for vulnerable people, do work deemed essential or briefly exercise.

The government has taken a very good measure to cushion the effect of the pandemic on its residents. Residents whose jobs and businesses closed due to coronavirus are being paid 350 euro PER WEEK. Those enjoying this benefit include Nigerians and other nationalities (both students and workers) who are living in the country. Many Nigerians received their alerts today being Tuesday and were greatly overjoyed.. People are being paid to stay at home and be safe. The payment will go on for 12 weeks...that's 3 months. Just chill at home and get paid.

€350 X N420 (about N147,000) per week.
€1400 X N420 (about 588,000) per month.

Monthly rent is €325 while €50-€70 (depending on your spending capability) can go for groceries for the month. This only happens in civilized countries where the government take good care of their people.

3 Likes

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by seguno2: 12:08pm On Apr 01, 2020
pocohantas:
Everything you wrote is nice. Impressive system too, but please, can we stop converting foreign currencies to Naira on topics like this?

Doesn’t show a good understanding of Economics (PPP to be very specific).

Well said ma. Bravo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by Nobody: 12:12pm On Apr 01, 2020
abuhusna1:

You don't need to show him proof. I know you are not lieing cis some groceries won't finish and it reduces your spending when next you go and limerick is cheap to live in unlike dublin. But try dey buy Africa food gum body biko spend that euro.

I spent 126 euro this week, the guy must be very frugal.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by abuhusna1: 12:22pm On Apr 01, 2020
Nigsrdumb:

I spent 126 euro this week, the guy must be very frugal.
Lol. You can read he has Africa foods at home already so it's very possible bro. More so your own shopping no go finish in one week Na atleast he go last you two weeks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by Nobody: 12:58pm On Apr 01, 2020
abuhusna1:

Lol. You can read he has Africa foods at home already so it's very possible bro. More so your own shopping no go finish in one week Na atleast he go last you two weeks

Hows he living an extra ordinary if he's managing like a typical Nigerian?

I spend a minimum of one hundred EUR per week.

Y'all living like pauper's and pretending to be in heaven.

Anyway what's Ur point. cool

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by abuhusna1: 1:11pm On Apr 01, 2020
Nigsrdumb:

My point is Na him know where shoe dey pepper am for leg so we can't force him change his spending power neither can we force you too.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by Observer1: 1:19pm On Apr 01, 2020
Nigsrdumb:

How many children and wife do you have?

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by Nobody: 1:27pm On Apr 01, 2020
Observer1:

How many children and wife do you have?

Please don't tag me again if you don't have anything meaningful to ask or say.

Pretender association of Nigerian diasporans.

Billionaire association living in heaven.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by Zico5(m): 1:46pm On Apr 01, 2020
Onlyonebuhari:

381 people just died in the UK is that what u want in Nigeria?
U seriously need sense
Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by akaraelepo(m): 1:53pm On Apr 01, 2020
dainformant:
My experience in Ireland so far has been trailed with mixed feelings due to the coronavirus. The country is experiencing its worst ever pandemic - with nearly 3000 confirmed cases of the virus and 54 deaths recorded. The government has ordered a lockdown for some months to curb the spread and minimize the effect of the virus in the European country.

The nationwide lockdown has left the country’s public spaces hushed and deserted amid overwhelming public support for extreme measures to control the pandemic. Dublin city and other usually bustling urban centres are now like ghost towns..

In my area in Limerick city, the vast majority of the population appear to be following appeals to stay at home except to buy food, care for vulnerable people, do work deemed essential or briefly exercise.

The government has taken a very good measure to cushion the effect of the pandemic on its residents. Residents whose jobs and businesses closed due to coronavirus are being paid 350 euro PER WEEK. Those enjoying this benefit include Nigerians and other nationalities (both students and workers) who are living in the country. Many Nigerians received their alerts today being Tuesday and were greatly overjoyed.. People are being paid to stay at home and be safe. The payment will go on for 12 weeks...that's 3 months. Just chill at home and get paid.

Monthly rent is €325 while €50-€70 (depending on your spending capability) can go for groceries for the month. This only happens in civilized countries where the government take good care of their people.

Thanks for the info, as a stamp 2 holder can I apply for the Covid 19 unemployment payment?

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by akaraelepo(m): 1:58pm On Apr 01, 2020
6digitscomrade:
Please stop misleading the people.
It’s enough for people to go to rent.ie and see the real rent prices. In Cork to rent a room in a shared apartment is at least 400eur, that not including bills. A studio apartment just about 1000eur a month. 2 bedroom 1500eur. There is also no way somebody can survive on 50-70eur groceries. A little bag of egusi is 5eur. 2kg of good quality ponds is 10eur a bag. An average sized yam is 8eur. Electricity a month is not less than 50eur in summer. Make your maths people.
You still claim that people can have a good live with 350eur? It’s better than nothing yes, but it doesn’t replace the income people have lost.

Guy. It may be true. I live in Tuam, I spend 800h on rent per mth and that is bcuz I came with my spouse and 2 kids.
Average mthly food xpenditure is 100 euros that is if I buy a lot of side attractions along with the basics. If not I will spend far less plus I only do lidi. I don't even have African shops near me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by Alore: 2:47pm On Apr 01, 2020
What is wrong living on €32 a week? Must you go to Starbucks before you have a coffee or to MacDonalds before you have lunch? With €32 you can buy grocery and do home cooking and eat well for a week! €325 looks like rent for a shared apartment - looks reasonable if you are on a budget e.g. a student. Nothing wrong about living a frugal life as you work towards a meaningful future abroad.

axeman10:

Obviously he is living in one room shared apartment for paying €325 a month in Limerick.. And who lives on €32 a week if not a pauper.. When a cup of coffee and muffin at Starbucks go for over €5.. That can't even fill your tummy for breakfast.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by pocohantas(f): 2:56pm On Apr 01, 2020
Gerrard59:

Thank you Poco!

Took you long to get here. Thought you promised to treat this topic, what happened? It is important Mathematics o.
Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by otokx(m): 3:33pm On Apr 01, 2020
Even if you tell them things are not easy in Ireland they will not believe you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by Gerrard59(m): 4:35pm On Apr 01, 2020
pocohantas:

Took you long to get here. Thought you promised to treat this topic, what happened? It is important Mathematics o.

Hopefully, when I have the time, I would create a thread to treat it extensively.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by LivingSage: 5:05pm On Apr 01, 2020
God bless you.
evilive:

It is impossible for a nation to grow when her citizens are wayward. And, if growth is forced on such nation, it quickly turns into disasters just as no amount of perfume can save a dead body from decaying.

People don't realize that leaders can only be responsible when the masses are responsible, and that corruption in leadership has its roots in the corrupt nature of the masses.

Where do we get our leaders if not from among the masses. The corrupt Civil and public servants; are they not from among people?
Were they currupted by their duties or their duties exposed the corruption in them? Can we boast of 0.5% (of our population) who are selfless and humane?

We are quick to compare and blame as if nations don't have stories.

We curse and condemn the same soil that nourishes our flesh just because we aren't like other nations with plenty toys for her citizens.

We neglect our basic duties as an organic member of this nation in order to shift blames; a trait we inherited unknowingly (both) from educated and uneducated fools.

We are quick to cover up our irresponsibilities (as you mentioned above) by pointing fingers and making irrelevant references.

Until we change our mentality, our situation will remain the same even if our roads are plastered with gold.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by Observer1: 5:29pm On Apr 01, 2020
Nigsrdumb:

Please don't tag me again if you don't have anything meaningful to ask or say.

Pretender association of Nigerian diasporans.

Billionaire association living in heaven.

Because you're not telling us your full story,I live in Dublin the most expensive city in Ireland (Southside) for that matter, there's no way a single person will spend 126€ a week just on food except if you're a drunk and buying JD etc.

If you're a family man yes it's understandable,we've so many students here if they spend 126€ a week just on food,then how can they afford rent,transports etc.

9 Likes

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by Phenmeson(m): 5:33pm On Apr 01, 2020
Guess the monthly rent of €325 is a single room/double room. An average studio flat in UK cost you £650 without bills. Council tax is over £130,electricity, Internet, water bills will cost you nothing less than £200.
Even £1000 is not enough for you to survive if you live in a private property with kids.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by Nobody: 5:48pm On Apr 01, 2020
Observer1:

Because you're not telling us your full story,I live in Dublin the most expensive city in Ireland (Southside) for that matter, there's no way a single person will spend 126€ a week just on food except if you're a drunk and buying JD etc.

If you're a family man yes it's understandable,we've so many students here if they spend 126€ a week just on food,then how can they afford rent,transports etc.

Oga let's leave tory, no be moi moi . Enough said.

People wey dey share room , use bicycle up and down or waka , can't spend well on food without rationing are saying they live in heaven.

Heaven ko shilo ni

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by dochenaj: 6:25pm On Apr 01, 2020
luxy44:
50 to 70 for groceries Please correct this, it is more than that
The guy is telling you the range he spends on groceries monthly and you're telling him it is incorrect.

You're implying he is lying then. Cos he is telling you that from experience.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by IceColdVeins(m): 9:03pm On Apr 01, 2020
Bro I've been thinking my IT skills are underrated in Nigeria and weighing the options of heading out to Europe. Are there skilled/unskilled jobs available for immigrants in Ireland? On what kinda visa(student/tourist/work) is better to travel there?
Kindly advise! I promise not to be a bother.
dainformant:

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by Onlyonebuhari: 9:31pm On Apr 01, 2020
Zico5:

U seriously need sense

Another e_rat sighted..........sifia pain

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by Akintunde22: 12:26am On Apr 02, 2020
Zico5:
See country where things work. But here in Nigeria u no go see shishi. Mama Faruq will still increase #300 yellow rubber garri to #800. €350 per week for staying at home. Even when the rent per week is just €50 - €70 per week. When will Nigeria get better for God sake and this is ordinary Ireland o. It can't be ok for those morons defending this government for just 30k. I need to find a way out of this shithole.
Bro, not only you, we need to move out to greener pasture nation
Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by Akintunde22: 12:28am On Apr 02, 2020
kenodrill:

Bro please I need your email address.'Ve something to discuss with you.
Pls bro, send ur email ur address, we need to talk, am leaving this nation after coro issue by God grace
Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by kenodrill: 6:59am On Apr 02, 2020
Akintunde22:

Pls bro, send ur email ur address, we need to talk, am leaving this nation after coro issue by God grace

newmanagberegha@yahoo.com
Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by Zico5(m): 7:01am On Apr 02, 2020
Onlyonebuhari:

Another e_rat sighted..........sifia pain
Who is e_rat between u and ur covik1-9. U don't even know what u are doing, u are supporting a dead man who doesn't know what's happening around him. I pity u indeed.
Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by travelland(f): 8:38am On Apr 02, 2020
Anybody living on €32/week in Ireland is not eating well. Look at his grocery shopping cart, he has two litres of groundnut oil, what is he going to use that for in a Week? I believe he has already stocked up but he's getting the items he still needs. There's nothing else in his cart besides oil, chicken, baking paper, green peas and a few snacks, who can survive on this for a week? STOP LYING ABOUT YOUR REALITY
Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by Alore: 10:02am On Apr 02, 2020
Why would you say he is lying? €32/ week is €128 per month! That's a lot of money to spend on groceries in a month for just one person!

I spend less than €80 a month on groceries in Germany and I eat well.
And you talk of 2 liters of groundnut oil for a week. Do you know what 2 litres of oil look like? How would you cook and finish 2 liters of oil in a week? It is not juice that you pour in a cup and drink anyhow oh! 2 litres of oil is more than sufficient to take you for 1 month. I doubt if you are talking from a similar experience.

travelland:
Anybody living on €32/week in Ireland is not eating well. Look at his grocery shopping cart, he has two litres of groundnut oil, what is he going to use that for in a Week? I believe he has already stocked up but he's getting the items he still needs. There's nothing else in his cart besides oil, chicken, baking paper, green peas and a few snacks, who can survive on this for a week? STOP LYING ABOUT YOUR REALITY

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by Onlyonebuhari: 12:15pm On Apr 02, 2020
Zico5:

Who is e_rat between u and ur covik1-9. U don't even know what u are doing, u are supporting a dead man who doesn't know what's happening around him. I pity u indeed.

I understand better, the president is heathier than.
Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by Nobody: 8:00pm On Apr 02, 2020
confluence:
I am currently in Ireland County Meath area, OP exaggerate how much that is currently being paid to people to cushion the harsh effect of the conrona virus on Businesses .I think is around 200 euro also per week, this is is to go on for the next six weeks.
No doubt Nigeria is screwed up , I Weep for my Country, how did we get it wrong?
Long time! No wonder! You don japa leave us here! How is your farm doing?
Re: Coronavirus Lockdown: A Nairalander In Ireland Shares His Experience (Photos) by KingCurtis21: 9:04pm On Apr 02, 2020
Focusingmore:

I have lived in Ireland for 22 years bra, your story is fake, my Irish partner and I are here laughing our heads off.

Ireland is a shit hole , no jobs , small minded people...

Infrastructure is good but old, boring place to live.

Looks like you live in Castletroy.

Maybe you are new that's why everything looks impressive to you

You nor even get sense

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Peace Mass Transit Reacts To The Accident That Killed "18" Passengers / See The Odd Side Of Living In Canada: Nigerian Lady Experience: PICS & VIDEO / What's The Best Skill To Learn Under 6 Months For Me To Migrate To Europe?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.