Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,972 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:37 AM

How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago (70314 Views)

Photo Of 1918 College Football Fans Wearing Face Masks, During The Spanish Flu / Throwback Photo Of 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic That Killed Over 50Million Globally / Population Of Nigerians That Died During Spanish's Flu Pandemic In 1918 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Angelfrost(m): 1:15pm On Apr 01, 2020
Erediauwa:
The worst of them all is the "virus" that wiped out thousands of innocent people during the Biafra war....

Lest we forget.

...Or the current "Virus" that has claimed further thousands across Northern and Southern Nigeria since over a decade now...

The "Virus" this current administration promised to "cure" within 6 months!!! undecided
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by tareigns(m): 1:16pm On Apr 01, 2020
Shut the bleep up and stop putting fear in the hearts of people. Reported you already to the mods cos that's what you have been doing since when this whole pandemic thing started.Get Prepared !
Live Ready!!!!

There is No More Time!!

Don't be Caught Unawares!!!

KING JESUS CHRIST IS COMING!!!

Personal Raptures are Happening per Secs!

EMBRACE JESUS [/quote]
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Nobody: 1:16pm On Apr 01, 2020
Not surprised. The pestilence killed 50-60 milli pple worldwide.. Hope history won't repeat itself Di's tym
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by somehow: 1:16pm On Apr 01, 2020
Point of correction, it was not removed in this dispensation, it was removed during the dispensation of the other political party. This current political party actually brought it back.

Don't twist history.
NaijaMutant:
We already had a poor knowledge of our history as a nation, Buhari further worsened this by the removal of history from our curriculum

We might be in the dark ages of knowledge without knowing it undecided
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Righteousnes89: 1:17pm On Apr 01, 2020
Righteousness89:

AMEN !

I need GOD'S Mercy! That's all that keeps Me Going

Who God's mercy don help?
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by PericomaNwankwo: 1:18pm On Apr 01, 2020
Ezmans:
so onitsha has up 1.9m, owerri1.3 in in 1918 it means easterners living outside are more than those living@ east now

Bros, it shows just how strong the east was back then until almagamation and subsequent fulani leadership did all they can to subdue the east.

Look at Lagos, doesn't even have 30% of the owerri population.

Surely if census is done with justness , Igbos are the largest still. No wonder a UN fact release stated that igbos are more in number than Ooduas.

2 Likes

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Angelfrost(m): 1:18pm On Apr 01, 2020
CheedyJ:

I heard it on a sports show some weeks back & quickly googled it for more info ,guess,we never stop learning...if not for this current pandemic I doubt I'd av heard about it..

That's because no one teaches history anymore especially in elementary school...

That's how poor education standard has become. Pity!!!
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Thegoodone13(m): 1:19pm On Apr 01, 2020
My daddy told me this. He said it killed many in Lagos
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by somehow: 1:19pm On Apr 01, 2020
When it hit Iran, it was in its early stages then and alot of countries had ample time to prepare against convid. You can now see that Iran and China are doing well with managing the numbers unlike the new comers that can't manage it even with the time they had to prepare.

See Spain, belgium, US e.tc struggling.

festwiz:
Do a little maths and check the percentage death of USA to Iran or Italy. You'd say otherwise.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by somehow: 1:20pm On Apr 01, 2020
Wrong analogy. No court will grant any person audience when it comes to national security in the US. did he go to court before borders were shut? or did senate debate it first before it was shut?
iammo:

not so, Americans run a liberal democracy and Iran is not that democratic.. Iranian president can order total seat at home and nobody would resist it, if trump tries such democrats would complain, citizens would rush to court

Russia , Iran , China , North Korea would kill you if you try to misbehave

1 Like

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Nobody: 1:21pm On Apr 01, 2020
tommy589:

6334 system in 1978?

Yes, the first set to undergo 6334 entered primary 1 in 1978.

That's when 6334 started.

The first set graduated from primary school in 1983 and wrote SSCE in 1988 ( between 1986 and 87 we transitioned from to a January to December school calendar from the old September to April system.
and we switched back in 1991)

Last A levels were written in 1988/9
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by MRAKBEE(m): 1:21pm On Apr 01, 2020
Erediauwa:
The worst of them all is the "virus" that wiped out thousands of innocent people during the Biafra war....

Lest we forget.
Una busybody too much.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by anthony86(m): 1:22pm On Apr 01, 2020
I heard of Spanish flu from my great grand maternal father, he was born probably by that time in Eastern Nigeria. They had an age grade system to measure their ages since they were not conversant with the modern calender system. So it was common for him and his age grade to say they were born during the period of influenza epidemic.
The Influenza pandemic also helped in the spread of Christianity in the East because it was only in the missionary hospitals people found succour, the traditional medicine couldn't do much as a result people had to believe in the efficacy of the white man.
My great grand told me after he was infected as a child managed to survive the pandemic through the help of missionaries not after they have had him baptized.

3 Likes

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Nobody: 1:22pm On Apr 01, 2020
klax:

Diffusion and physiological responses to the influenza pandemic of 1918–19 in Nigeria
DC Ohadike - Social science & medicine, 1991 - Elsevier
Although virologists are not in agreement on the origins of the 1918–19 influenza pandemic, it has long been associated with the virulent type A virus. At least 21 million people died from the disease over a 12-month period, becoming one of the world's worst short-term demographic disasters. The disease was introduced into Nigeria by passengers and crews who arrived via ship from overseas. Thus, coastal ports were the primary focus of the diffusion of the disease. Its spread to the hinterland was facilitated by improvements in

@bold
Pls I have google copy and paste here pls where us 500,000 Nigeruan dead mentioned?

Check the figures below(not as high as 500000 though)

The problem is most colonial era data for Nigeria isn't online

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by olamilarks(m): 1:22pm On Apr 01, 2020
They were no Nigerians 102 years ago please!
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Butoneday2(m): 1:22pm On Apr 01, 2020
rusher14:

You people would just be talking nonsense, is history not part of WAEC exams?
we're not talking about waec here , and pls keep off
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Miracle1991: 1:23pm On Apr 01, 2020
Let's pray Corona never replicate such damage to us again.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by AndikanEssien(m): 1:24pm On Apr 01, 2020
UncleSege75:
How come have never heard of Spanish flu

Because you haven't been exposed to the information. Interestingly the flu originated from the USA and was spread abroad by US soldiers fighting the first World war. Why then East it named after Spain? This was because although the virus was killing people worldwide it wasn't reported as the world nations were focused on the war. However, Spain who wasn't involved in the war was the first country to raise the alarm of the pandemic known as influenza but nicknamed Spanish flu

2 Likes

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Thegoodone13(m): 1:26pm On Apr 01, 2020
rottennaija:
From all indicators, USA is not as mighty as it claimed and it seems they need Iran's help more than Iran needs theirs.

check their population. USA is most population country after India and China
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Investnow2017: 1:26pm On Apr 01, 2020
rottennaija:
From all indicators, USA is not as mighty as it claimed and it seems they need Iran's help more than Iran needs theirs.

In your mind Iran is reporting accurately. If you observe, Iran has been reporting no less than 120 deaths for the past two weeks. I believe they are just releasing numbers little by little in order not to stir the ires of the Iranian public that are already frustrated with the handling of the pandemic. Check your records.

Don't be surprised that some governments are doctoring the figures and presentation. The US is very open about their affair.

At a time because Putin was pushing for another tenure did you not notice Russia figures until yesterday that higher figures started presenting.

The US cum GB is the indefatigable world power never to be overthrown by any nation before God intervenes in the affairs of man.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by wirinet(m): 1:26pm On Apr 01, 2020
iPOOPinURmouth:
usa is like first bank that claims to be best because of old glory but banks like gtb etc pass them.
countries like singapore don overtake usa. infact the real world power now is china. but no one wan give am to them.
a country that controls the worlds market economy is directly or indirectly the world power
My people still think USA is equivalent to heaven. USA is simply living on past glory, it's a falling empire, just like other empires before it. The new rising economic power is south East Asia, particularly China. Of the top ten banks in the world, 4 are Chinese, 4 are US, one is UK and one is Japanese. The 4 Chinese are the top 4 banks
- https://www.google.com/amp/s/markets.businessinsider.com/amp/news/top-10-banks-in-the-world-2019-2019-7-1028330545

For the first time in history, China has more companies on the fortune global 500 companies than the US -
https://amp.scmp.com/business/companies/article/3019632/first-china-has-more-companies-fortune-global-500-list-us
and the gap is set to widen further in the coming years.

The US shot itself in the foot, by alienating it's traditional trade and military allies, and taking on China alone.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by rusher14: 1:28pm On Apr 01, 2020
Butoneday2:
we're not talking about waec here , and pls keep off

If you aren't talking about WAEC then you must be talking about kindergarten because as far as I know, History is being taught in our universities till this very day.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Retrography(m): 1:28pm On Apr 01, 2020
Faber:
Our Government scrapped History from our school curriculum...thinking that history is all about the civil war..

As a sequel we failed to learn from History...We repeated the mistake of 1918.

We may pay for it not later but now. May God help us.

Please name the government and stop dilly-dallying.
It was GoodLuck Jonathan's Government that cancelled history... While Buhari brought it back.

1 Like

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by engrchykae(m): 1:28pm On Apr 01, 2020
So ?
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by CheedyJ(m): 1:29pm On Apr 01, 2020
Angelfrost:

That's because no one teaches history anymore especially in elementary school...

That's how poor education standard has become. Pity!!!
Whether history is taught or not ,we still can't be taught everything that happened in d past after all,history was taught while I was in secondary school & it's still being offered in higher institution but I can beat my chest that a great percentage of history graduates won't av heard of some of this things...it's all about syllabus I guess ..
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Retrography(m): 1:29pm On Apr 01, 2020
Erediauwa:

Lest we forget.

All is fair in WAR and LOVE.
So anyone who wants war should be prepared for the worst.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Righteousness89(m): 1:29pm On Apr 01, 2020
dairykidd:

Keep deceiving yourself. You are the one lacking knowledge. This is the dispensation of grace and in times like these true believers know better than to incite fear but ask for grace through faith in Christ Jesus. Yes Jesus is coming but no one knows when. Its not by plagues or pandemic. God does not incite fear but radiates love that is why he gave Jesus as the ultimate sacrifice instead of the use of animals as it was in the days of old. Pray for wisdom and above all pray for grace. Its people like u that makes unbelievers think God is difficult to serve. Meanwhile Jesus sacrifice was especially to redirect them home and was done out of God's love for man. Believe what u can but never use God's word to promote fear... God is love
Ok sir
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by profstar(m): 1:29pm On Apr 01, 2020
jared007:
I don't think it killed up to that number in Nigeria. 500k no be beans o. 500k and my grandmum swept it under the carpet?

She probably wasn't born at that time, or too young to understand what was going on
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Nobody: 1:32pm On Apr 01, 2020
[quote author=raski04 post=87983843][/quote]

This shows how fked we are. They were keeping records in 1918. We still do bout have proper records in 2020

1 Like

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by rusher14: 1:32pm On Apr 01, 2020
cmecproblem:
At that time globalization had not started, and Spanish flu could still wreck that much havoc? Damn.

South Africa lost 300 thousand to Spanish flu within the space of 6 weeks.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by iamdrfresh: 1:33pm On Apr 01, 2020
rottennaija:

US is over 300m
Iran is about 81m

compare the stats again!
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by kokomilala(m): 1:34pm On Apr 01, 2020
The Spanish Flu infected an estimated 500 million people world wide and killed about 100 million people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

5 Reasons Why Your Private Part Smells And What To Do / COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases / Nigerian Surgeon Removes Baby From Womb, Operates On Her Tumor, Returns Her Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.