Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,987 members, 7,814,372 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago (70331 Views)

Photo Of 1918 College Football Fans Wearing Face Masks, During The Spanish Flu / Throwback Photo Of 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic That Killed Over 50Million Globally / Population Of Nigerians That Died During Spanish's Flu Pandemic In 1918 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by wirinet(m): 3:32pm On Apr 01, 2020
Butoneday2:
The zoo government scrapped it because they don't want this generation to know anything about Biafra or Biafran war but reverse is the case if you know you know. The rising sun will keep shinning.
Why did Biafran governors scrap history from their state curriculum? Don't they want this generation of Biafrans to know the exploits of Biafrans during the civil war?

1 Like

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by alfredilly: 3:35pm On Apr 01, 2020
festwiz:
Do a little maths and check the percentage death of USA to Iran or Italy. You'd say otherwise.
The number of death from the virus is a function of the demographic age of population. You can only assess how a country progress in managing the disease through the number of cases recorded and the new case.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by eagleu: 3:40pm On Apr 01, 2020
Babatunde40:
I don't think we kept accurate data at that time. I do not believe it will be up to 500,000

You don't have data, or you don't have common sense?
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Teebabsfmfr: 3:43pm On Apr 01, 2020
Aunty Cynthia, they have lockdown the abortion centers, what will you do now?���

Click below to watch what Auty Cynthia did.���

Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE and Share with friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB6C6hXSgZY
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by DeRay98(m): 3:45pm On Apr 01, 2020
NaijaMutant:
We already had a poor knowledge of our history as a nation, [b]Buhari further worsened this by the removal of history from our curriculum

We might be in the dark ages of knowledge without knowing it undecided[/b]

Must you always blame every thing with Nigeria on Buhari?
History in schools had been gone before Buhari even campaigned for election...
You should be asking Obasanjo or the last military regimes....

2 Likes

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by DeRay98(m): 3:49pm On Apr 01, 2020
Daum:
There was a plague that wrecked havoc in Benin before the British came. When the British finally conquered Benin, they saw so many corpses at a big burial site and they taught it was all for ritual purposes

Sorry, the British conquered Benin in 1897 that's 20yrs after the British conquered Benin.

2 Likes

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Babatunde40(m): 3:55pm On Apr 01, 2020
eagleu:

You don't have data, or you don't have common sense?

I have both. Peace my brother

1 Like

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by abbatoir(m): 3:57pm On Apr 01, 2020
Is ok
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Daum: 3:58pm On Apr 01, 2020
ajl:

Thanks. But how credible is your point? From whom did you get this account?
I read about the british account about them seeing a lot of dead bodies which they thought was for ritual purpose. It's so hard to dispute that since we know that ritual killings was more common then. But the way the account was painted makes one think that what they saw was out of this world. What you said is also possible. We know the white people always want to paint a terrible picture of their experience in Africa.

Well I can't say if the Benins did so many human sacrifices to avert the war with the British, all I can say is that before the war, there was a plague according to palace sources and it greatly reduced people in the city then. When the British came for the treaty, they saw MA's burial sites and thought the Oba of Benin was killing his people for rituals. They wrote so many things to paint Benin bad just to get governent approval to remove the king because Oba Ovoranmwen wanted to trade with them on equal ground.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Kolping: 4:05pm On Apr 01, 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Nobody: 4:08pm On Apr 01, 2020
festwiz:
Do a little maths and check the percentage death of USA to Iran or Italy. You'd say otherwise.

Please kindly explain what you mean. Thank you.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Yujin(m): 4:12pm On Apr 01, 2020
Evaromantik:
So Onitsha was the second most populated city after Kano.

Until it was stripped of everything but it's market after the war.

City still thriving!
Doesn't actually mean Onitsha city or metropolis. That Onitsha covers both Enugu, Anambra and parts of Imo states.
The figures however confirms that Igbos have always had the biggest population in Southern Nigeria. Only Onitsha and Owerri provinces are more than 3 million. Igbos in Ogoja and Benin provinces have not been added. Igbo population as at then could be up to 3.6million.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Nobody: 4:17pm On Apr 01, 2020
Blackking98:
i don't agree with your Iran jibe. Comparing both of them is like comparing Nigeria and Ghana, Nigeria has a larger population with more cities and urban center's so you'd expect us to have More cases than Ghana depending on how it is managed. However you'd say USA is more developed Iran but this corona defies all known medical practice and is affecting both world powers and weak nation's alike seriously. [b]I'm just wondering why Beijing was barely hit by the virus [/b]but other powerful cities like London, Madrid,Rome,New York, Tehran etc don't even know what is hitting them. The Chinese aren't telling us something

grin You have yourself made it clear that the U.S.A must have been mismanaging the situation if China with her population of over a billion defy your population theory of Nigeria-Ghana, Iran-U.S.A.

1 Like

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by seyisolu(m): 4:33pm On Apr 01, 2020
We can all see why accurate data keeping is very important. How many people actually died in the whole world?
This document is very misleading.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by pazienza(m): 4:51pm On Apr 01, 2020
klas:

Unless we have further information on how many provinces there were and their coverage, then, such conclusion may be debatable.

Note that only 2 provinces - Onitsha and Owerri were the listed provinces in the present day south-east region. Were there others or these two constitute the entire SE region?

Ibadan was not listed? Was it a province then but not listed or its population was subsumed in the listed Oyo or Abeokuta provinces which were the only 2 provinces listed for present day southwest?

There is no debate there.
Onitsha province was not Onitsha city. It was Modern day Anambra and Enugu state combined.

1 Like

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by pazienza(m): 4:57pm On Apr 01, 2020
Yujin:

Doesn't actually mean Onitsha city or metropolis. That Onitsha covers both Enugu, Anambra and parts of Imo states.
The figures however confirms that Igbos have always had the biggest population in Southern Nigeria. Only Onitsha and Owerri provinces are more than 3 million. Igbos in Ogoja and Benin provinces have not been added. Igbo population as at then could be up to 3.6million.

No.
It was Enugu and Anambra state for Onitsha province.
Then Abia, Imo, Igboid Rivers state(Etche, Ikwerre, Ekpeye, Ogba, Oyigbo) and Ebonyi South senatorial zone were Owerri Province.

Ebonyi Central and Ebonyi North senatorial zones were in Ogoja along side non Efik parts of Cross River state.

Aniocha , Oshimili and Ika were in Benin Province

Ukwuani and Ndokwa were in Warri province.

No doubt, Ndiigbo have always been the most populous ethnic group in Southern Nigeria.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by GGirll: 5:14pm On Apr 01, 2020
Babatunde40:
I don't think we kept accurate data at that time. I do not believe it will be up to 500,000

because its an igbo man that wrote it had it been a yoruba scholar you would have believed tribalistic fools.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Legendguru: 5:16pm On Apr 01, 2020
Ye
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Babatunde40(m): 5:22pm On Apr 01, 2020
GGirll:

because its an igbo man that wrote it had it been a yoruba scholar you would have believed tribalistic fools.

Nairaland has destroyed people's brains. Aswear I did not check the name. I just commented based on my opinion. Peace my friend. I love ibos and yorubas alike
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by rottennaija(m): 5:24pm On Apr 01, 2020
Investnow2017:

In your mind Iran is reporting accurately. If you observe, Iran has been reporting no less than 120 deaths for the past two weeks. I believe they are just releasing numbers little by little in order not to stir the ires of the Iranian public that are already frustrated with the handling of the pandemic. Check your records.

Don't be surprised that some governments are doctoring the figures and presentation. The US is very open about their affair.

At a time because Putin was pushing for another tenure did you not notice Russia figures until yesterday that higher figures started presenting.

The US cum GB is the indefatigable world power never to be overthrown by any nation before God intervenes in the affairs of man.

@bolded
JW shey? Keep believing in that bullshit of 7th world powers.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Perkins2018: 5:24pm On Apr 01, 2020
Yujin:

Did you see Ibadan in the list?
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by rottennaija(m): 5:25pm On Apr 01, 2020
Nuel4:
imagine believing data from a dictatorship regime. Government that shoot her citizens for protesting

And you believe what comes from Trumps mouth? Fact is that USA at some point were offering Iran help (which they rejected). Now, can they beat their chest to offer such help again?

Truth is USA is living in their past glory, same with Europe.
cc. Goldmaxx, Correcto, iamdrfresh, Investnow2017, Thegoodone13,
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by greenguy: 5:25pm On Apr 01, 2020
In this story... I learnt that my ancestors discovered the beauty of Garri as a result of economic hardship caused by the flu in 1918.

...and Garri has been saving lives since then.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Perkins2018: 5:27pm On Apr 01, 2020
GGirll:

The idiot you quoted is ibo using a Yoruba name. You should check his post history you fool!
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Perkins2018: 5:29pm On Apr 01, 2020
pazienza:

No.
It was Enugu and Anambra state for Onitsha province.
Then Abia, Imo, Igboid Rivers state(Etche, Ikwerre, Ekpeye, Ogba, Oyigbo) and Ebonyi South senatorial zone were Owerri Province.

Ebonyi Central and Ebonyi North senatorial zones were in Ogoja along side non Efik parts of Cross River state.

Aniocha , Oshimili and Ika were in Benin Province

Ukwuani and Ndokwa were in Warri province.

No doubt, Ndiigbo have always been the most populous ethnic group in Southern Nigeria.

How can you conclude even when there’s no Ibadan, ondo and Ijesha provinces on the list?
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Perkins2018: 5:29pm On Apr 01, 2020
Babatunde40:

Nairaland has destroyed people's brains. Aswear I did not check the name. I just commented based on my opinion. Peace my friend. I love ibos and yorubas alike

You should have let the fool know you are ibo using a Yoruba moniker.

1 Like

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by pazienza(m): 5:39pm On Apr 01, 2020
Perkins2018:

How can you conclude even when there’s no Ibadan, ondo and Ijesha provinces on the list?

Ibadan was under Oyo province.

Ondo was mispelt as Onob their.
Ijesha should be under Abeokuta province.

Yoruba had three provinces of Abeokuta, Lagos and Ondo. Everyone in SW fell under one of those three.

1 Like

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Perkins2018: 5:42pm On Apr 01, 2020
pazienza:

Ibadan was under Oyo province.

Ondo was mispelt as Onbo their.
Ijesha should be under Abeokuta province.

Yoruba had three provinces of Abeokuta, Lagos and Ondo. Everyone in SW fell under one of those three.

How can ijesha be under Abeokuta? Do you know maps at all? Ibadan can never be under Oyo.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by gawu1: 5:45pm On Apr 01, 2020
NaijaMutant:
We already had a poor knowledge of our history as a nation, Buhari further worsened this by the removal of history from our curriculum

We might be in the dark ages of knowledge without knowing it undecided
Buhari stopped you from learning history? Even the father of all haters, ffk will not agree with you on this one.
Maybe, because you were born out of wedlock, Buhari should be held responsible. tongue
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by CsRockefeller(m): 5:45pm On Apr 01, 2020
rottennaija:
From all indicators, USA is not as mighty as it claimed and it seems they need Iran's help more than Iran needs theirs.

A time comes when your power, money, skills, knowledge becomes sterile.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Correcto: 5:47pm On Apr 01, 2020
Please who is living in the present glory? Clowns
rottennaija:

And you believe what comes from Trumps mouth? Fact is that USA at some point were offering Iran help (which they rejected). Now, can they beat their chest to offer such help again?

Truth is USA is living in their past glory, same with Europe.
cc. Goldmaxx, Correcto, iamdrfresh, Investnow2017, Thegoodone13,
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by pazienza(m): 5:49pm On Apr 01, 2020
Perkins2018:

How can ijesha be under Abeokuta? Do you know maps at all? Ibadan can never be under Oyo.

We have done this argument in the past.

See here :https://www.nairaland.com/3400415/1931-population-figures-nigerian-ethnic

Read the appended image.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

5 Reasons Why Your Private Part Smells And What To Do / COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases / Nigerian Surgeon Removes Baby From Womb, Operates On Her Tumor, Returns Her Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.