Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,863 members, 7,813,948 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:25 PM

How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago - Health (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago (70317 Views)

Photo Of 1918 College Football Fans Wearing Face Masks, During The Spanish Flu / Throwback Photo Of 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic That Killed Over 50Million Globally / Population Of Nigerians That Died During Spanish's Flu Pandemic In 1918 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by klax(m): 5:54pm On Apr 01, 2020
HBB1:

I hope you know the British ran Nigeria?
With District heads, Magistrates, Doctors, Governors...
And with a smaller population?

The World was not as backward as you think.
You should read more.

Wo is this again? This case had be settled with the Op thst pisted the topic the figure was far lower than 500,000 the index table had be posted here it was not even up 1,000 death in Nigeria ok.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by klax(m): 5:56pm On Apr 01, 2020
HBB1:

I hope you know the British ran Nigeria?
With District heads, Magistrates, Doctors, Governors...
And with a smaller population?

The World was not as backward as you think.
You should read more.

Sorry i mean less than 500,000 death
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by WeRblessed(f): 6:00pm On Apr 01, 2020
Babatunde40:
I don't think we kept accurate data at that time. I do not believe it will be up to 500,000

Spanish flu killed over 500,000 in Nigeria. In America alone, over 800,000 died. Still trying to understand what you mean by accurate data. This is not Nigerian data, but WHO's data. It's like telling someone about 20 years from now, how many people died of coronavirus in the USA or Ebola in Africa and someone from Africa is saying its inaccurate data. Some of us in medicine/Healthcare don't just say things anyhow like the Nigerian government. We say things based on history, science, and research.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Nobody: 6:28pm On Apr 01, 2020
rottennaija:

And you believe what comes from Trumps mouth? Fact is that USA at some point were offering Iran help (which they rejected). Now, can they beat their chest to offer such help again?

Truth is USA is living in their past glory, same with Europe.
cc. Goldmaxx, Correcto, iamdrfresh, Investnow2017, Thegoodone13,
yes I believe Trump more than majority of world leaders.
By the way, all the data coming out of USA are more than accurate because all the media like CNN, MSNBC etc are working overtime microscopically scrutinising the situation in USA in order to slander Trump and make him lose election. The chloroquine they said he lied about, has it not been approved now?
If you are really confident in what you are saying why are you calling on your friends to come and back you?
The only reason USA has such number is because they doing so many tests, over 100k tests daily and their people are very stubborn always trying to disobey the authorities

This is tweet from democrats senate leader criticising Trump for banning travel from China yet they insult Trump for the outbreak

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Farki: 6:48pm On Apr 01, 2020
jared007:
I don't think it killed up to that number in Nigeria. 500k no be beans o. 500k and my grandmum swept it under the carpet?

How will she know unless she is a medical staff?
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Yujin(m): 6:49pm On Apr 01, 2020
Perkins2018:

Did you see Ibadan in the list?
Ibadan was subsumed under Oyo province. Ibadan was too popular to have been forgotten or omitted. If you speak of Ondo, then we can argue.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Yujin(m): 7:08pm On Apr 01, 2020
pazienza:

No.
It was Enugu and Anambra state for Onitsha province.
Then Abia, Imo, Igboid Rivers state(Etche, Ikwerre, Ekpeye, Ogba, Oyigbo) and Ebonyi South senatorial zone were Owerri Province.

Ebonyi Central and Ebonyi North senatorial zones were in Ogoja along side non Efik parts of Cross River state.

Aniocha , Oshimili and Ika were in Benin Province

Ukwuani and Ndokwa were in Warri province.

No doubt, Ndiigbo have always been the most populous ethnic group in Southern Nigeria.

I included parts of Imo because of that Orlu and Ihiala shared divisional heritage. This is quite old and as we know territories today aren't how they were those days. Didn't know the whole of Ukwuani was subsumed under Warri province. Igbos (Umuezeokoha) could have been part of the Munshi province too. Can you give a probable population of Igbos as at that time?
I very much knew that at the time of the unfortunate amalgamation, our population was over 3 million.

1 Like

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Nobody: 7:10pm On Apr 01, 2020
Babatunde40:
I don't think we kept accurate data at that time. I do not believe it will be up to 500,000

OP said it was a dirge. He meant the numbers may have been way higher.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by freemi(m): 7:12pm On Apr 01, 2020
Babatunde40:

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by freemi(m): 7:14pm On Apr 01, 2020
klax:

Wo is this again? This case had be settled with the Op thst pisted the topic the figure was far lower than 500,000 the index table had be posted here it was not even up 1,000 death in Nigeria ok.

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Khan2013(m): 7:17pm On Apr 01, 2020
[quote author=raski04 post=87983843][/quote]
Wow so Kano we have 2 millions peoples even then
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by davidif: 8:53pm On Apr 01, 2020
Babatunde40:

You do know it was the British who were in charge back then and not Nigerians and if there is one thing I know about the Brits or the Europeans is their book keeping. I still go to the library in my school and other schools once in a while and I read colonial reports on Nigeria and other countries. They are so detailed.

I am not saying the records would have been 100% perfect (they probably underreported some of them) but as you can see they most likely tried the best to capture the info to the best of their ability after all Nigeria was their territory and it’s people were it’s subjects.

1 Like

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by davidif: 8:55pm On Apr 01, 2020
[quote author=freemi post=87999507][/quote]

That is info from the colonial administration at the time. If their is one thing i know about the British and Europeans, it’s their penchant for record keeping.

2 Likes

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Perkins2018: 9:03pm On Apr 01, 2020
pazienza:

We have done this argument in the past.

See here :https://www.nairaland.com/3400415/1931-population-figures-nigerian-ethnic

Read the appended image.

Anyway, Ihesha is too far to be under Abeokuta. Oyo could have been better. It’s like putting Warri under kaduna.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by kunkelhanspeter(m): 9:23pm On Apr 01, 2020
[quote author=raski04 post=87983843][/quote]
Look at the population of Owerri and onitsha back then now. That why Britain taught the Hausa how to manipulate numbers
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Talknochip(m): 9:46pm On Apr 01, 2020
[quote author=oneclickng post=87992082][/quote] Yes & No..
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Talknochip(m): 9:55pm On Apr 01, 2020
author=oneclickng post=87992082]
Yes & No.. Matthew 24:1-51... Vs 6-15 captures my reason for advocating for proper keeping of records regarding events of covid-19 for the many generations yet unborn. Vs 6, 7 & 8 explains our era (the happenings of our time)
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Blackking98(m): 10:42pm On Apr 01, 2020
WORDWORLD:

grin You have yourself made it clear that the U.S.A must have been mismanaging the situation if China with her population of over a billion defy your population theory of Nigeria-Ghana, Iran-U.S.A.

not it doesn't because you're comparing USA/Iran and I'm using Nigeria/Ghana as analogy which perfectly suits my point. If you compared USA/China you would have been sounding more reasonable and educated.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by emmyskies(m): 12:19am On Apr 02, 2020
Righteousness89:

It's Unfortunate! Those who should be Embracing GOD are pushing Him away..

May GOD Have Mercy on you!
True,,, and it's quite sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by emmanuelalbert3(m): 4:01am On Apr 02, 2020
Nigeria was just finded few years before Spanish flu invaded the world ... and it lasted form 1918 to December 1920, it infected 500 million ..world wide.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by emmanuelalbert3(m): 4:17am On Apr 02, 2020
emmanuelalbert3:
Nigeria was just finded few years before Spanish flu invaded the world .. and it lasted form 1918 to December 1920, it infected 500 million ..
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Goldmaxx(f): 7:54am On Apr 02, 2020
rottennaija:

And you believe what comes from Trumps mouth? [/b]Fact is that USA at some point were offering Iran help (which they rejected)[b]. Now, can they beat their chest to offer such help again?

That's a fat lie. It's Iran that was begging the US to lift sanctions on them at least during this period of pandemic.

This is a time of mishaps, every country needs help one way or the other. Even before that, China has been the manufacturing hub of the US products, thanks to o Obama and his evil party.

Explain what you mean by the US is living in past glory?

1 Like

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by chewwie(m): 8:09am On Apr 02, 2020
rottennaija:
From all indicators, USA is not as mighty as it claimed and it seems they need Iran's help more than Iran needs theirs.

And this thing thinks Iran have what it takes to help the USA
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by chewwie(m): 8:12am On Apr 02, 2020
rottennaija:

And you believe what comes from Trumps mouth? Fact is that USA at some point were offering Iran help (which they rejected). Now, can they beat their chest to offer such help again?

Didn't come from Trump's mouth, came from independent Iranian journalists! Past glory? Before this Chinese virus, the USA had the lowest unemployment rate, highest GDP growth, etc. Don't really know about the EU's Europe. If they are living in past glory, please tell your relatives there to come back to Nigeria.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Thegoodone13(m): 8:52am On Apr 02, 2020
Goldmaxx:
That's a fat lie. It's Iran that was begging the US to lift sanctions on them at least during this period of pandemic.

This is a time of mishaps, every country needs help one way or the other. Even before that, China has been the manufacturing hub of the US products, thanks to o Obama and his evil party.

Explain what you mean by the US is living in past glory?
Don't mind them. They don't know anything about international policy
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by toprealman: 9:00am On Apr 02, 2020
jared007:
I don't think it killed up to that number in Nigeria. 500k no be beans o. 500k and my grandmum swept it under the carpet?
Should be more than that. Our people were clueless then as we still are. Some deaths due to the disease must have been tagged anger from the "gods"...or some other mundane reasons.
Do you know some peeps today think the virus is severe typhoid (whatever that means).
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Nobody: 9:17am On Apr 02, 2020
So this is the Influenza my granny keeps talking about.
Interesting
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by jimyjames(m): 10:42am On Apr 02, 2020
GreenRose22:
@jimyjames

Do me a favor. Our British friend, what's his other monikers apart from the current two I know?

Guy na your new moniker be this

Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Nobody: 11:12am On Apr 02, 2020
Blackking98:
not it doesn't because you're comparing USA/Iran and I'm using Nigeria/Ghana as analogy which perfectly suits my point. If you compared USA/China you would have been sounding more reasonable and educated.

Your are a funny dude honestlygrin What are you trying to say? grin You are still not making any sense. What is the population of China as compared to the United states. Funny dude grin

Even when by yourself appraised China. You brought in Ghana and Nigeria into the matter to make a point based on POPULATION which is not consistent EVEN if U.S.A is compared with China as regards CORONAVIRUS MANAGEMENT at the moment.

FUUNY DUDE, ITS NOT BY THE SIZE OF POPULATION BUT EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT. JUST AS CHINA AS PROVEN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgTDDx1LGpM
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Nobody: 11:23am On Apr 02, 2020
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Okudiover(m): 12:15pm On Apr 02, 2020
Babatunde40:

Have you forgotten that by 1918 Nigeria was still under British rule? Those guys can keep record for Africa.
Re: How Spanish Flu Killed 500,000 Nigerians 102 Years Ago by Blackking98(m): 3:59pm On Apr 02, 2020
WORDWORLD:

Your are a funny dude honestlygrin What are you trying to say? grin You are still not making any sense. What is the population of China as compared to the United states. Funny dude grin

Even when by yourself appraised China. You brought in Ghana and Nigeria into the matter to make a point based on POPULATION which is not consistent EVEN if U.S.A is compared with China as regards CORONAVIRUS MANAGEMENT at the moment.

FUUNY DUDE, ITS NOT BY THE SIZE OF POPULATION BUT EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT. JUST AS CHINA AS PROVEN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgTDDx1LGpM

it's sad you can't read and comprehend at this age. You compared USA to Iran and I used Nigeria to Ghana as an analogy to access the situation along various parameters and not only population as your weird reasoning is explaining to you. I now said if you compared USA to China then it would be a fair comparison as in this case China has handled the virus far better than any world power has apperently and yes I'm in the same vein saying China has done well in this case Incase your Brain can't comprehend. so your USA jibe doesn't really even make sense to educated folks, maybe you want to excite illiterates.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

5 Reasons Why Your Private Part Smells And What To Do / COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases / Nigerian Surgeon Removes Baby From Womb, Operates On Her Tumor, Returns Her Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.