Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,198 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:33 AM

The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather (70367 Views)

10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus / Coronavirus: Parents Abandon Kids At China Airport / Coronavirus: Snakes The Likely Cause Of Deadly Chinese Virus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by excanny: 9:12pm On Apr 04, 2020
Falacious hypothesis.

The UK has a lower temperature than Spain, France or Italy, why doesn't it have the highest number of active cases going by your theory?

1 Like

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by maklelemakukula(m): 9:12pm On Apr 04, 2020
Bonjovi13:

I would try to find the video.It was actually a research recently conducted by health scientist.They made use of highly maginified cameras using thermal imaging to capture the spread of droplets from person to person close to each other or in a room with little or no ventilation or a room with controlled air conditioning.

The video showed droplets more than 1mm dropping quickly to the floor not more than 2 feets from the person coughing,sneezing or talking powerfully.

What was new however was that tiny droplets less than 1mm hovered over the air in an ever expanding pattern carried by the flow of air in the room.

This corresponds with the story of the choir members who had a choir practice in church in a state in the US.Out of the 60 members 45 tested positive for the corona virus,3 had died as at the time of the report and 5 were in critical condition.

Using WHO as your source....I laugh.They have changed their story.That is why they said we should wear masks..If you watched CNN news yesterday.Donald Trump was querried why he did not wear mask.He quoted the WHO...that they said it was not mandatory. He called the Health Secretary who contradicted him and said that the WHO had evidence that the virus can spread by air not over far distances i must add but in a controlled restricted environment like a room with ac or a car.

Exposure to heat does destabilize the virus though.

Believe whatever you like, but the facts speak for themselves.
I heard Fauci say the same thing in his Interview with trevor Noah

1 Like

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Angelinastto(f): 9:12pm On Apr 04, 2020
Erediauwa:
Dear Seun Osewa,

What are you giving back to your esteemed members this period?

We all know that it is not the best of times for everyone, and I will suggest you show some appreciation and some act of kindness to members of this forum who are in need.

God bless Nairaland.

Jason.
Guy! grin
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by MrPresident1: 9:13pm On Apr 04, 2020
Seun, Coronavirus is the precursor to the coming of Christ.

Christ likens the events of the period leading to his return as Spring, and his return, in-view, as Summer.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Realdeals(m): 9:13pm On Apr 04, 2020
Coronavirus is a strain of Flu, which is a characteristics of the western world with colder clime.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by flokii: 9:13pm On Apr 04, 2020
I don't think the Novel virus has anything to do with weather. Best bet is humidity and humid areas favour its survival (still not proven)

1 Like

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by BruncleZuma: 9:13pm On Apr 04, 2020
Seun:
Effect Of Temperature On COVID-19: An Unscientific Investigation.

In the early days of the Coronavirus scourge, many Nigerians believed that we wouldn't be affected because of our hot weather. Now that we're testing people, we have seen a sharp increase in the number of confirmed cases, to about 210, which is still quite low for a country with 190 million residents. However many people suspect that the virus has penetrated our society far more deeply than the NCDC statistics suggest. We've noticed that people who travelled to colder countries recently or spend most of their time in air-conditioned spaces, or their direct contacts, are massively over-represented among the confirmed cases. Is this because they are the only ones being tested, or is heat a factor?

Here is the list of the 10 countries that have the highest number of active COVID-19 cases, and their forecasted temperatures for the day:
* USA has 257,790 active cases. The temperature forecast for New York is 8°C - 15°C.
* Italy has 85,388 active cases. The temperature forecast for Rome is 7°C - 25°C.
* Spain has 77,488 active cases. The temperature forecast for Madrid is 6°C - 19°C
* Germany has 65,309 active cases. The temperature forecast for Berlin is 1°C - 12°C
* France has 61,650 active cases. The temperature forecast for Paris is 6°C - 17°C
* UK has 34,428 active cases. The temperature forecast for London is 4°C - 16°C
* Iran has 31,954 active cases. The temperature forecast for Tehran is 8°C - 19°C
* Turkey has 20,012 active cases. The temperature forecast for Istanbul is 8°C - 11°C
* Switzerland has 14,169 active cases. The temperature forecast for Geneva is 3°C - 17°C
* Netherlands has 13,986 active cases. The temperature forecast for Amsterdam is 4°C - 14°C

On average, the top ten countries with Coronavirus have a temperature forecast of 5.5 - 16.5°C. The temperature forecast for Lagos is 26°C - 34°C, and for Abuja, it's 24°C - 36°C. This is a massive, massive difference! The maximum temperature of nine of the countries above is lower than the minimum temperature of Lagos. The maximum temperature of 7 of those countries is lower than the minimum thermostat setting of most Nigerian air-conditioners (18°C).

The countries mentioned above are in Africa, Asia or Europe. What about Africa? Here's our top 5:
* South Africa has 1,401 active cases. The temperature forecast for Johannesburg is 9°C - 15°C.
* Algeria has 1,004 active cases. The temperature forecast for Algiers is 9°C - 17°C.
* Egypt has 703 active cases. The temperature forecast for Cairo is 24°C - 34°C.1
* Tunisia has 472 active cases. The temperature forecast for Tunis is 8°C - 17°C.
* Burkina Faso has 236 active cases. The temperature forecast for Ouagadougou is 28°C - 43°C. 1
1 The Egypt data is misleading because the their average temperature last month was 11.6°C to 26°C, but Burkina Faso is a legitimate outlier; the country is much hotter than Nigeria.

The above data, in spite of the outlier, is enough to convince me that the Coronavirus likes cold weather and probably spreads faster in cold places, such as air-conditioned cars, offices, and homes. This, apart from the lack of testing, may explain why we are yet to see any significant evidence of transmission outside the circles of travellers and the rich and powerful in Nigeria. It is consistent with what we know about other respiratory illnesses, and why countries like the US expect the disease to slow down in their summer season (starting from June).

When I see videos of Lagos officials spraying open areas e.g. roads & sidewalks in Lagos, I have to laugh, because I strongly suspect that, if they actually bothered to test for the presence of the virus on those surfaces, they'd find nothing at all because the sun already sterilized them.

Knowing that the virus hates our hot temperature gives me hope. If a cold country like South Korea (0°C -13°C forecast for today) could beat the virus without destroying their economy by imposing a total lockdown, a constantly hot country like Nigeria could do much better if we used the same tactics. We need to start testing people who have had close contact with confirmed cases before they show symptoms. We also need to enforce universal wearing of face-masks and social distancing everywhere, which in itself may even be sufficient to end the virus.

May your days be bright and hot. May your air-conditioners be off and your windows wide open (to get rid of aerosolized droplets). Cheers.

PS: I always make a lot of mistakes when I post long articles, so if you spot any errors, omissions, or false statements, please correct me.

Seun, inasmuch as the temperature may look like an underlying factor for the low rates in some countries, you need to take into consideration other factors such as inadequate testing. Case in point New York, whose numbers skyrocketed the moment they started widespread testing.

5 Likes

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by mvem(m): 9:14pm On Apr 04, 2020
wingmanIII:
WHO has debunked this theory.
They haven't... They are not sure yet...it is inconclusive
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Nobody: 9:15pm On Apr 04, 2020
Angelinastto:

Guy! grin
Girl..

1 Like

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Whatsapp9(m): 9:15pm On Apr 04, 2020
COVID-19*

This Coronavirus pandemic is a miasma of a deplorable apotheosis, a UFO of a hemorrhaging plutocracy, with Han descent or Chinese orifice, cascadingly oozing into a malodorous excrescences of mobocracy.

How can the universe run beserk in a topsy turvy fashion that the utopian projections of public splendour and humongous military accoutrements and armaments of the so called developed nations have fizzled out as an expired bazooka?

Who bails the cat? How are the mighty fallen and what deities or terra ferma chichidos can be responsible for this anathema?

With all this termagant ossifying proclivities of abracadabra in the toga of unpatented chemical concoctions being brandished as cures and panacea, the terra ferma is headed for avoidable oblivion.

How come even our academically knowledgia centura is enveloped in a paraphlegic crinkum crankum?

It is not yet uhuru.
Patrick Obiagbon

1 Like

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Nobody: 9:16pm On Apr 04, 2020
Seun:

In the early days of the Coronavirus scourge, many Nigerians believed that we wouldn't be affected because of our hot weather. Now that we're testing people, we have seen a sharp increase in the number of confirmed cases, to about 210, which is still quite low for a country with 190 million residents. However many people suspect that the virus has penetrated our society far more deeply than the NCDC statistics suggest. We've noticed that people who travelled to colder countries recently or spend most of their time in air-conditioned spaces, or their direct contacts, are massively over-represented among the confirmed cases. Is this because they are the only ones being tested, or is heat a factor?

Here is the list of the 10 countries that have the highest number of active COVID-19 cases, and their forecasted temperatures for the day:
* USA has 257,790 active cases. The temperature forecast for New York is 8°C - 15°C.
* Italy has 85,388 active cases. The temperature forecast for Rome is 7°C - 25°C.
* Spain has 77,488 active cases. The temperature forecast for Madrid is 6°C - 19°C
* Germany has 65,309 active cases. The temperature forecast for Berlin is 1°C - 12°C
* France has 61,650 active cases. The temperature forecast for Paris is 6°C - 17°C
* Iran has 31,954 active cases. The temperature forecast for Tehran is 8°C - 19°C
* Turkey has 20,012 active cases. The temperature forecast for Istanbul is 8°C - 11°C
* Switzerland has 14,169 active cases. The temperature forecast for Geneva is 3°C - 17°C
* Netherlands has 13,986 active cases. The temperature forecast for Amsterdam is 4°C - 14°C

On average, the top ten countries with Coronavirus have a temperature forecast of 5.5 - 16.5°C. The temperature forecast for Lagos is 26°C - 34°C, and for Abuja, it's 24°C - 36°C. This is a massive, massive difference! The maximum temperature of nine of the countries above is lower than the minimum temperature of Lagos. The maximum temperature of 7 of those countries is lower than the minimum thermostat setting of most Nigerian air-conditioners (18°C).

The countries mentioned above are in Africa, Asia or Europe. What about Africa? Here's our top 5:
* South Africa has 1,401 active cases. The temperature forecast for Johannesburg is 9°C - 15°C.
* Algeria has 1,004 active cases. The temperature forecast for Algiers is 9°C - 17°C.
* Egypt has 703 active cases. The temperature forecast for Cairo is 24°C - 34°C.1
* Tunisia has 472 active cases. The temperature forecast for Tunis is 8°C - 17°C.
* Burkina Faso has 236 active cases. The temperature forecast for Ouagadougou is 28°C - 43°C. 1
1 The Egypt data is misleading because the their average temperature last month was 11.6°C to 26°C, but Burkina Faso is a legitimate outlier; the country is much hotter than Nigeria.

The above data, in spite of the outlier, is enough to convince me that the Coronavirus likes cold weather and probably spreads faster in cold places, such as air-conditioned cars, offices, and homes. This, apart from the lack of testing, may explain why we are yet to see any significant evidence of transmission outside the circles of travellers and the rich and powerful in Nigeria. It is consistent with what we know about other respiratory illnesses, and why countries like the US expect the disease to slow down in their summer season (starting from June).

When I see videos of Lagos officials spraying open areas e.g. roads & sidewalks in Lagos, I have to laugh, because I strongly suspect that, if they actually bothered to test for the presence of the virus on those surfaces, they'd find nothing at all because the sun already sterilized them.

Knowing that the virus hates our hot temperature gives me hope. If a cold country like South Korea (0°C -13°C forecast for today) could beat the virus without destroying their economy by imposing a total lockdown, a constantly hot country like Nigeria could do much better if we used the same tactics. We need to start testing people who have had close contact with confirmed cases before they show symptoms. We also need to enforce universal wearing of face-masks and social distancing everywhere, which in itself may even be sufficient to end the virus.

May your days be bright and hot. May your air-conditioners be off and your windows wide open (to get rid of aerosolized droplets). Cheers.

PS: I always make a lot of mistakes when I post long articles, so if you spot any errors, omissions, or false statements, please correct me.
Why E be say all your thread dey make FP?Say na because na you get nairaland?

1 Like

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by ehhmah(m): 9:16pm On Apr 04, 2020
Seun:

Dammm...

You are smart.
One thing I would like to object in your literary piece. Nigerians are stubbornly religious.

You can’t stop them from mingling or hope of having a forceful Masked people to show up on our streets. grin
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by NERDYDREAMS(m): 9:16pm On Apr 04, 2020
Erediauwa:
Dear Seun Osewa,

We all know that it is not the best of times for everyone, and I will suggest you show some appreciation and some act of kindness to members of this forum who are in need.

God bless Nairaland.

Jason.

You are talking about seen osewa of nairaland...what about our churches,this is the best time for them to give back to their members and the community...this is the best time for evangelism..

1 Like

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by CodeTemplar: 9:17pm On Apr 04, 2020
This is good data analysis deduction. Most of our big men affected too have access to AC like iced fish.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by WannaHowzit(m): 9:17pm On Apr 04, 2020
Seun:
Effect Of

* [b]South Africa has 1,401 active cases. The temperature forecast for Johannesburg is 9°C - 15°C.

* correct me.

Cold weather in South Africa began this week in April, and it's only Autumn not winter.

Covid started wrecking havoc during our summer days in the beginning of March.

So, no, don't agree with you on this one.

3 Likes

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Housing(m): 9:17pm On Apr 04, 2020
It is not rocket science that corona virus thrive more under cold weather as it is manifested through cold and low temperature.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Nobody: 9:17pm On Apr 04, 2020

A local man is awesomely flabbergasted right now!

NnaEnh..

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Okuda(m): 9:18pm On Apr 04, 2020
Erediauwa:
Dear Seun Osewa,

God bless Nairaland.

Jason.

nobody owes you jackshit!!!
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by excanny: 9:18pm On Apr 04, 2020
MrPresident1:
Seun, Coronavirus is the precursor to the coming of Christ.

Christ likens the events of the period leading to his return as Spring, and his return, in-view, as Summer.

Coronaviruses have existed millions of years before your Jesus ever was born.

They are equally millions of them, so far only less than 5 or so have wrecked havoc on human populace.

Stop talking nonsense.

And Jesus is long dead and can't come back again.

Free yourself from rubbish and get educated.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Mightyhaiz: 9:18pm On Apr 04, 2020
Erediauwa:
Dear Seun Osewa,

God bless Nairaland.

Jason.
this is the best time for seun.. People are home now and alleviating boredom with their fones.. Nairaland for most naira landers.. Dude is having a time of his life wink
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by maklelemakukula(m): 9:18pm On Apr 04, 2020
Sehindemi:
Seun where is your source?? That is one important criterion to make front page abi you think you can bend the rules because you own NL? undecided
The fact that he even included"An unscientific Investigation" on the epistle and still sent it to front page makes it more laughable
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by blowjohn(m): 9:18pm On Apr 04, 2020
greatme2good:
What of during rainy season? Coz we are about entering the season.

Who tel u say sun no dey hammer person for rainy season?

1 Like

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by alezzy13: 9:20pm On Apr 04, 2020
For goodness sake, Can't you guys make your point without QUOTING THE WHOLE POST?? GEEZ angry

ehhmah:

Dammm...

You are smart.
One thing I would like to object in your literary piece. Nigerians are stubbornly religious.

You can’t stop them from mingling or hope of having a forceful Masked people to show up on our streets. grin
cucumbae:
Why E be say all your thread dey make FP?Say na because na you get nairaland?

2 Likes

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by NosaHenry(m): 9:20pm On Apr 04, 2020
This does not require rocket science to know, I have known this all along. Hope we solve this before real raining season set in.

1 Like

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by babyfaceafrica: 9:20pm On Apr 04, 2020
chibjohn:

You can never be too sure. Viruses behave weirdly. They are in-between living and non living things. When they are attached to living cells, they start acting as a living thing but when attached to non-living surfaces they become inactive for a length of time depending on the virus before dieing off.

So, even professionals haven't fully understood this virus let alone me and you. Let's just follow their instructions and not all these unsubstantiated temperature analysis.

We should follow instructions of people who don't fully understand the virus?.. Is that wise?..
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by mvem(m): 9:20pm On Apr 04, 2020
excanny:
Falacious hypothesis.

The UK has a lower temperature than Spain, France or Italy, why doesn't it have the highest number of active cases going by your theory?
they all are temperate regions and are in their winter period...moreover the Northern part of Italy has more cases and that part is far colder than the southern part...heat actually reduce spread of virus as we all know it is made up of a protein molecule, and protein denatures with heat... What WHO cannot ascertain now is at what temperature this might happen and other dynamics involved...I think with time as more data come in, the world will have a greater understanding...why has the virus killed barely 200 in the whole of Africa when it has killed more than that number in Scotland alone...many factors are actually involved and I think environmental factors is also part of that

4 Likes

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Nobody: 9:20pm On Apr 04, 2020
Mightyhaiz:
this is the best time for seun.. People are home now and alleviating boredom with their fones.. Nairaland for most naira landers.. Dude is having a time of his life wink
You're smart dude.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by blowjohn(m): 9:22pm On Apr 04, 2020
maklelemakukula:
The fact that he even included"An unscientific Investigation" on the epistle and still sent it to front page make it more laughable

Who be these ones?
When WHO said we shouldn't wear masks did u tell them how unscientific it was.
What do u mean by unscientific investigation?
Does investigation ultimately mean it's a confirmed theory?
Someone made from certain premises and make a logical chain of thought and ur here asking for source.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Doyin2(m): 9:22pm On Apr 04, 2020
How cold is China?
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by sonnie10: 9:22pm On Apr 04, 2020
What is the possibility of the virus mutating to adapt to high temperature?

1 Like

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by 0m0nnakoda: 9:23pm On Apr 04, 2020
Seun:

Corona virus also seems to like the human body which is usually around 36 C
Corona virus has been demonstrated in human feces
Considering sanitation and crowding in our urban slums I do not think we shoudl relax

The virus may not like warm temperatures or it may be that cold temperatures make the respiratory system more vulnerable
Outside of the body it may not survive in warm weather on sterile surfaces but it may survive in warm feces , blood and other biological material for much longer that on a door handle

3 Likes

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by blowjohn(m): 9:24pm On Apr 04, 2020
excanny:
Falacious hypothesis.

Other factors play a part.
So u know why America death rates are so high?
Cos they refused to take the pandemic serious....I mean the citizens.
Americans were clubbing and partying and attending one event or the other weeks ago when the virus had already eaten deep there.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerian Surgeon Removes Baby From Womb, Operates On Her Tumor, Returns Her Back / Help!!! What Can Someone Use For This Fungal Infection? WARNING!! GRAPHICS PICS / Man Dies Of Coronavirus In Delta State After Visiting Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.