Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:36 AM

The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather - Health (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather (70421 Views)

10 Ways To Protect Yourself And Family From The Coronavirus / Coronavirus: Parents Abandon Kids At China Airport / Coronavirus: Snakes The Likely Cause Of Deadly Chinese Virus (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by aimmoney9: 2:34am On Apr 05, 2020
OGA 4 pple have died from it in Nigeria plus d fact DAT der re many covert and unreported cases.....I taught u pple said it can't exist in Nigeria DAT d heat will kill it while as of now we have 214 confirmed cases n counting
legalwealth:
Hmm! !!

But some were saying that coronavirus is not affected by but this seems to have proven them wrong.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by dawoyo(m): 2:36am On Apr 05, 2020
Seun:
Effect Of Temperature On COVID-19: An Unscientific Investigation.

In the early days of the Coronavirus scourge, many Nigerians believed that we wouldn't be affected because of our hot weather. Now that we're testing people, we have seen a sharp increase in the number of confirmed cases, to about 210, which is still quite low for a country with 190 million residents. However many people suspect that the virus has penetrated our society far more deeply than the NCDC statistics suggest. We've noticed that people who travelled to colder countries recently or spend most of their time in air-conditioned spaces, or their direct contacts, are massively over-represented among the confirmed cases. Is this because they are the only ones being tested, or is heat a factor?

Here is the list of the 10 countries that have the highest number of active COVID-19 cases, and their forecasted temperatures for the day:
* USA has 257,790 active cases. The temperature forecast for New York is 8°C - 15°C.
* Italy has 85,388 active cases. The temperature forecast for Rome is 7°C - 25°C.
* Spain has 77,488 active cases. The temperature forecast for Madrid is 6°C - 19°C
* Germany has 65,309 active cases. The temperature forecast for Berlin is 1°C - 12°C
* France has 61,650 active cases. The temperature forecast for Paris is 6°C - 17°C
* UK has 34,428 active cases. The temperature forecast for London is 4°C - 16°C
* Iran has 31,954 active cases. The temperature forecast for Tehran is 8°C - 19°C
* Turkey has 20,012 active cases. The temperature forecast for Istanbul is 8°C - 11°C
* Switzerland has 14,169 active cases. The temperature forecast for Geneva is 3°C - 17°C
* Netherlands has 13,986 active cases. The temperature forecast for Amsterdam is 4°C - 14°C

On average, the top ten countries with Coronavirus have a temperature forecast of 5.5 - 16.5°C. The temperature forecast for Lagos is 26°C - 34°C, and for Abuja, it's 24°C - 36°C. This is a massive, massive difference! The maximum temperature of nine of the countries above is lower than the minimum temperature of Lagos. The maximum temperature of 7 of those countries is lower than the minimum thermostat setting of most Nigerian air-conditioners (18°C).

The countries mentioned above are in Africa, Asia or Europe. What about Africa? Here's our top 5:
* South Africa has 1,401 active cases. The temperature forecast for Johannesburg is 9°C - 15°C.
* Algeria has 1,004 active cases. The temperature forecast for Algiers is 9°C - 17°C.
* Egypt has 703 active cases. The temperature forecast for Cairo is 24°C - 34°C.1
* Tunisia has 472 active cases. The temperature forecast for Tunis is 8°C - 17°C.
* Burkina Faso has 236 active cases. The temperature forecast for Ouagadougou is 28°C - 43°C. 1
1 The Egypt data is misleading because the their average temperature last month was 11.6°C to 26°C, but Burkina Faso is a legitimate outlier; the country is much hotter than Nigeria.

The above data, in spite of the outlier, is enough to convince me that the Coronavirus likes cold weather and probably spreads faster in cold places, such as air-conditioned cars, offices, and homes. This, apart from the lack of testing, may explain why we are yet to see as many cases of transmission outside the circles of travellers and the rich and powerful in Nigeria as expected. It is consistent with what we know about other respiratory illnesses, and why countries like the US expect the disease to slow down in their summer season (starting from June).

When I see videos of Lagos officials spraying open areas e.g. roads & sidewalks in Lagos, I have to laugh, because I strongly suspect that, if they actually bothered to test for the presence of the virus on those surfaces, they'd find nothing at all because the sun already sterilized them.

Knowing that the virus hates our hot temperature gives me hope. If a cold country like South Korea (0°C -13°C forecast for today) could beat the virus without destroying their economy by imposing a total lockdown, a constantly hot country like Nigeria could do much better if we used the same tactics. We need to start testing people who have had close contact with confirmed cases before they show symptoms. We also need to enforce universal wearing of face-masks and social distancing everywhere, which in itself may even be sufficient to end the virus.

May your days be bright and hot. May your air-conditioners be off and your windows wide open (to get rid of aerosolized droplets). Cheers.

PS: I always make a lot of mistakes when I post long articles, so if you spot any errors, omissions, or false statements, please correct me.

I don't believe the above is entirely true...

In Calgary, we have 734 confirmed cases and it is colder right now than most of the countries posted above with a temperature of -5 as per the images below.

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Judybash93(m): 2:36am On Apr 05, 2020
Well, how many guys have we tested? Let's test a lot of people out there before we come up with this temperature thingy conclusion
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Emedu(m): 2:43am On Apr 05, 2020
Good Seun. But let be very careful even as we expect the best

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by kem2561: 2:45am On Apr 05, 2020
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by drakeli: 2:56am On Apr 05, 2020
HenryThegreat1:
His write up were all educative and informative, in fact I do copy and paste on my .....

I hope your acknowledge the original writer wherever you paste.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by kem5302: 3:32am On Apr 05, 2020
f26f3r3631
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by sucess001(m): 3:32am On Apr 05, 2020
Seun:

In the early days of the Coronavirus scourge, many Nigerians believed that we wouldn't be affected because of our hot weather. Now that we're testing people, we have seen a sharp increase in the number of confirmed cases, to about 210, which is still quite low for a country with 190 million residents. However many people suspect that the virus has penetrated our society far more deeply than the NCDC statistics suggest. We've noticed that people who travelled to colder countries recently or spend most of their time in air-conditioned spaces, or their direct contacts, are massively over-represented among the confirmed cases. Is this because they are the only ones being tested, or is heat a factor?

Here is the list of the 10 countries that have the highest number of active COVID-19 cases, and their forecasted temperatures for the day:
* USA has 257,790 active cases. The temperature forecast for New York is 8°C - 15°C.
* Italy has 85,388 active cases. The temperature forecast for Rome is 7°C - 25°C.
* Spain has 77,488 active cases. The temperature forecast for Madrid is 6°C - 19°C
* Germany has 65,309 active cases. The temperature forecast for Berlin is 1°C - 12°C
* France has 61,650 active cases. The temperature forecast for Paris is 6°C - 17°C
* Iran has 31,954 active cases. The temperature forecast for Tehran is 8°C - 19°C
* Turkey has 20,012 active cases. The temperature forecast for Istanbul is 8°C - 11°C
* Switzerland has 14,169 active cases. The temperature forecast for Geneva is 3°C - 17°C
* Netherlands has 13,986 active cases. The temperature forecast for Amsterdam is 4°C - 14°C

On average, the top ten countries with Coronavirus have a temperature forecast of 5.5 - 16.5°C. The temperature forecast for Lagos is 26°C - 34°C, and for Abuja, it's 24°C - 36°C. This is a massive, massive difference! The maximum temperature of nine of the countries above is lower than the minimum temperature of Lagos. The maximum temperature of 7 of those countries is lower than the minimum thermostat setting of most Nigerian air-conditioners (18°C).

The countries mentioned above are in Africa, Asia or Europe. What about Africa? Here's our top 5:
* South Africa has 1,401 active cases. The temperature forecast for Johannesburg is 9°C - 15°C.
* Algeria has 1,004 active cases. The temperature forecast for Algiers is 9°C - 17°C.
* Egypt has 703 active cases. The temperature forecast for Cairo is 24°C - 34°C.1
* Tunisia has 472 active cases. The temperature forecast for Tunis is 8°C - 17°C.
* Burkina Faso has 236 active cases. The temperature forecast for Ouagadougou is 28°C - 43°C. 1
1 The Egypt data is misleading because the their average temperature last month was 11.6°C to 26°C, but Burkina Faso is a legitimate outlier; the country is much hotter than Nigeria.

The above data, in spite of the outlier, is enough to convince me that the Coronavirus likes cold weather and probably spreads faster in cold places, such as air-conditioned cars, offices, and homes. This, apart from the lack of testing, may explain why we are yet to see as many cases of transmission outside the circles of travellers and the rich and powerful in Nigeria as expected. It is consistent with what we know about other respiratory illnesses, and why countries like the US expect the disease to slow down in their summer season (starting from June).

When I see videos of Lagos officials spraying open areas e.g. roads & sidewalks in Lagos, I have to laugh, because I strongly suspect that, if they actually bothered to test for the presence of the virus on those surfaces, they'd find nothing at all because the sun already sterilized them.

Knowing that the virus hates our hot temperature gives me hope. If a cold country like South Korea (0°C -13°C forecast for today) could beat the virus without destroying their economy by imposing a total lockdown, a constantly hot country like Nigeria could do much better if we used the same tactics. We need to start testing people who have had close contact with confirmed cases before they show symptoms. We also need to enforce universal wearing of face-masks and social distancing everywhere, which in itself may even be sufficient to end the virus.

May your days be bright and hot. May your air-conditioners be off and your windows wide open (to get rid of aerosolized droplets). Cheers.

PS: I always make a lot of mistakes when I post long articles, so if you spot any errors, omissions, or false statements, please correct me.

Great analysis. I have always said the same things you raised in this article. However I worry a little for Nigeria on this as we approach the rainy season.

I believe that rather than lockdown, universal enforcement of wearing masks is the way forward. Otherwise, if the virus doesn't kill us, hunger and unemployment will in the next few months.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by cooooooks(m): 3:32am On Apr 05, 2020
This kind of fake news is dangerous.

Florida is hot. Louisiana is hot. California is hot. Parts of Spain are hot.

Seun:

Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Nobody: 3:48am On Apr 05, 2020
Priapus69:
Your hypothesis is inherently flawed.
After getting your sample population you should factor in the quantity of testing done in those colder regions, compared to the warmer regions.
Then whatever results you think you have should undergo a 'Test of Significance' to see if the observed variable is well significant or not.
Untill that is done, whatever observations you think you know can and will be misleading.
Thanks

The lack of wide spread testing in Africa could be the reason for the reported low infection rate. But it does not explain the low mortality rate. Death in large numbers is not something that can be hidden. So it's either people are not getting the virus or they are not showing symptoms
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by CanadaOrBust: 4:08am On Apr 05, 2020
flokii:
I don't think the Novel virus has anything to do with weather. Best bet is humidity and humid areas favour its survival (still not proven)

Quite the opposite. Why do people delight in saying what they don’t know??
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by CanadaOrBust: 4:13am On Apr 05, 2020
cooooooks:
This kind of fake news is dangerous.

Florida is hot. Louisiana is hot. California is hot. Parts of Spain are hot.

It is a combination of hot weather, high humidity, abundant sunshine and poverty ( so there is not too much AC). There is no poor tropical country with much covid-19! Also there is immunity from fighting tropical diseases (we all know of chloroquine)
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by somehow: 5:18am On Apr 05, 2020
WIZGUY69:
What if i say you should multiply that 210 by 1000? Yes that's the number of case in Nigeria right now. undecided

It's paining you that we are not recording huge numbers?
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by madridguy(m): 5:26am On Apr 05, 2020
Thank God for our hot weather.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by megama: 5:30am On Apr 05, 2020
brudiga:
I talk am before. Na weather dey help us not the stealing states and federal governments. tongue

Massive raining season is almost here. The temperature is definitely going to drop.
They better find cure or control it to the bearest minimum before the rains hit or else we are all fvcked.
Nigerians are really hustlers in everything .everyone is on research. I hail thee mother Nigeria. This country must the the greatest Nation in earth,once the fear of GOD superceeds the fear of corrona. Virus.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by chibjohn(m): 5:32am On Apr 05, 2020
babyfaceafrica:

We should follow instructions of people who don't fully understand the virus?.. Is that wise?..
Though they don't fully understand it, they understand it better than the average man on the street. So it's better to follow their instructions.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by uchman(m): 5:41am On Apr 05, 2020
Only sensible people comment on Seun's post,
abi you no dey fear?

Those small boys and girls wey dey write any how dont comment on Seun's post, if you try write nonsense na remove them go remove you for nairaland no be ban...
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Kei144(m): 5:51am On Apr 05, 2020
Temperature advantage comes in only in terms of contacting the virus from surfaces and from the air. The virus cannot last long on an exposed surface in hot weather. It also cannot last long as aerosol in hot weather. But in direct human to human transfer, which doesn't take much time, high temperature is not a factor. Once the virus enters the human body alive, it begins to thrive. There is no difference between the temperature inside a human body in Lagos and the temperature inside a human body in London.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Originalsly: 5:52am On Apr 05, 2020
Seun:

The above data, in spite of the outlier, is enough to convince me that the Coronavirus likes cold weather and probably spreads faster in cold places

Chicago temp. 3 - 6°C....Moscow 1-5°C..... NYC...9°C/Buffalo (New York State) 7°C..... so why is COVID 19 wayyy more widespread in NYC than any of the other cold places mentioned?
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by godquality: 5:58am On Apr 05, 2020
It has little to do with the weather right now. The countries with the higher numbers are either just reaching or at the peak of their curve. Energy country currently affected will get there as well. It's a matter of 2-3 weeks. And in Nigeria where social distancing is not being observed correctly, i see ours rising rapidly within a week or 2. So heat or cold every country will get there.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by tomdon(m): 6:00am On Apr 05, 2020
Seun:

I think it will spread faster. Especially in June (24°C - 30°C) and July-September (23°C - 29°C) which will still be considered warm elsewhere.

Fortunately, we have enough time to put a mask on every face, and enforce good hygienic practices like washing of hands before entering any market, store, school, church, bank, etc. Enough time to ramp up our testing capabilities massively so we can isolate almost every single person who has the virus, including those who haven't experienced any symptoms of the disease. Meanwhile, our economy can continue to run so that the taxes needed to fund NCDC's aggressive efforts will continue to be paid by profitable businesses and employed workers.

Let them put the billions of naira donations to judicious use first, and be accountable, cos the system they're running currently is opaque. Taxing in these times should be targeted to the wealthy and others exempt
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by thegloor: 6:12am On Apr 05, 2020
MrPresident1:
Seun, President Donald Trump says:

‘’There’s going to be a lot of death’’ in coming weeks

The Bible says, there's going to be a lot of mourning by all the tribes of the earth just before the return of the Son of man. This mourning will be triggered by the sign of the Son of man in heaven

Matthew 24:30
And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

K
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by cooooooks(m): 6:21am On Apr 05, 2020
Brazil has a lot of cases.

What you're saying is dangerous.

CanadaOrBust:

It is a combination of hot weather, high humidity, abundant sunshine and poverty ( so there is not too much AC). There is no poor tropical country with much covid-19! Also there is immunity from fighting tropical diseases (we all know of chloroquine)
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Jaytee1985: 7:01am On Apr 05, 2020
Nice write up
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by ddippset(m): 7:04am On Apr 05, 2020
sonofthunder:

I quite agree with your analysis. Anyone that needs to know more on this can search for Dr. Eric Berg on YouTube and watch his recent videos on corona virus. The virus spread is much similar to the Spanish flu and it thrives with lower levels of sunlight which commutates into lower immune levels due to lower levels of vitamin D synthesized in the body. People that still have access to pharmacies can buy vitamin D supplements to to help boost their immune system, especially as we now spend most of our time indoors.

Modified: Also zinc rich foods is important this period. If you really want to understand how this works then go to the channel I mentioned above.
Is It Vitamin C or Vitamin D?

I've been swallowing Vitamin C for the past 3 weeks angry
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by johnmattew: 7:16am On Apr 05, 2020
maklelemakukula:

And somehow you think this is due to how hot Nigeria is?

Iran has done 180000 tests of which over 50000 are positive. Iran, as you should know, is hotter than Nigeria
have I checked the temperature of Tehran.....u should have done that before coming here to argue.

Tehran's temperature is 13°c and lagos' temperature is 32°c
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by johnmattew: 7:18am On Apr 05, 2020
Jaqenhghar:
Wetin you want do before?
I don't have Ur time
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by JetStar: 7:32am On Apr 05, 2020
So are you recommending lots of sunshine for people like abba kyari?
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by sonofthunder: 7:38am On Apr 05, 2020
ddippset:
Is It Vitamin C or Vitamin D?

I've been swallowing Vitamin C for the past 3 weeks angry
Both vitamins play different roles that are very important. Vitamin C can be gotten through food/fruits, the other is naturally synthesized by the body. Again, you can check out the Dr. I referenced.
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Nobody: 7:46am On Apr 05, 2020
thank u boss for d info.

shower us somethinh o enugbe

Contact us for your procurement from China 1688, Usa Ebay.com and amqzon

we also buy airtime for cash.
Gift cards: Amazon play store steam wallmart paypal and co.

we also design website and blog for business and personal use.

whatsapp 07081997275
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by Frankcallys(m): 8:11am On Apr 05, 2020
As of this morning here in South Africa, we have 1582 cases and 9 deaths. This shit is real guys. Please stay home let's see if we can contain this Covik one nine birus. Let's show the rest of the world that we can do this without them using us as Guinea pigs
Re: The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather by emmydee(m): 8:16am On Apr 05, 2020
I have been saying it. Our hot environment decimates the virus before it gets into our bodies thereby weakening it. This explains our low number of casualties. God bless Nigeria!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Social Distancing In Aba: Access & First Bank In Pictures (Video) / See The Amazing Transformation Of This Overweight Couple After A Year / Help!!! What Can Someone Use For This Fungal Infection? WARNING!! GRAPHICS PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.