Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,053 members, 7,835,557 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

Love Is Overated In Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Love Is Overated In Marriage (823 Views)

Ladies Should Stop Marrying For Love....that Is D Most Overated Word In D World / How Open Should One Be In Marriage? / How to Ask Your Girlfriend's Parents For Her Hand in Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Love Is Overated In Marriage by frankkky: 8:47pm On Jan 01, 2011
Does one have to be in love with his wife to have a happy marriage?i wonder about this thing everyday because truth be said in my case i was never in love with my wife when i married her,she was pregrant and right from childhood i had sworn never to have a child outside wedlock so i married her and i belive i did the right thing i didnt care what anyone said then,there are certain things that are important in marriage than the so called love,i belive in honour and responsilibity,to me those are the ingreidents that survives a marriage,i may not love my wife passionately today but i make myself a trustworthy husband to her,anyone out there in my type of situation?lets be honest here
Re: Love Is Overated In Marriage by zayhal(f): 10:00am On Jan 02, 2011
You have a valid point there. With time love can even grow.
Re: Love Is Overated In Marriage by ifyalways(f): 2:29pm On Jan 02, 2011
frankkky:

Does one have to be in love with his wife to have a happy marriage?i wonder about this thing everyday because truth be said in my case i was never in love with my wife when i married her,she was pregrant and right from childhood i had sworn never to have a child outside wedlock so i married her and i belive i did the right thing i didnt care what anyone said then,there are certain things that are important in marriage than the so called love,i belive in honour and responsilibity,to me those are the ingreidents that survives a marriage,i may not love my wife passionately today but i make myself a trustworthy husband to her,anyone out there in my type of situation?lets be honest here
The society has been living with this great misconception of love.We all assume/expect to have/see certain things before we know we are in love. . . Not so true.
Love means different things to different ppl.
@OP,you love you wife . . .u just have not realized that or u think otherwise cos what u feel for her does not fit-in to what is generally defined as love.
Back to your question,love is not the only or major ingredient for a successful marriage and like Zayhal said,love also grows and increases with time.
Re: Love Is Overated In Marriage by Joagbaje(m): 3:51pm On Jan 02, 2011
frankkky:

Love is not a criteria for marriage.This falling in love idea is only a chemical reaction based on feelings. It is not stable and it can burn off. That's what has destroyed many homes. A man sends his wife parking, you ask him why , he says nothing , "I just don't love her any more and I don't want to deceive myself" because the relationship was based on the feeling of love.

You don't have to fall in love to marry. There are different kinds of love. The "feeling" is only a part .the real love is a commitment, A duty and a responsibility.It is pure and it is not based on feeling . The bible didn't say that a man should marry who he loved but a man should love who he had married. The real love develop by commitment . It is a choice .

So the feeling will come along the way with the real love. It is a choice. As you focus on the good qualities and virtue of the partner, the love will only get stronger. So the fact that you are not madly in love now doesn't mean anything is wrong.
Re: Love Is Overated In Marriage by frankkky: 7:39pm On Jan 02, 2011
Thank you jare my people make we dey talk true at times,you know some of my friends who claim to love their wives and all thatyou need to see how they beat their wives,cheat on them,lie to them,no form loyality to them at all,love my ass,marriage is all about respecting your wife,love no concern me there at all,i repect my vows to her and thats enough for me
Re: Love Is Overated In Marriage by Blazay(m): 12:18am On Jan 03, 2011
Does one have to be in love with his wife to have a happy marriage?

No.

Because it depends on where you expend your energy of 'love' in the first place.
You only have to be a self-respecting, happy person yourself and madly in love with yourself first and foremost.
Only then can you attract the best of loves.

cool
Re: Love Is Overated In Marriage by tpia1: 5:52am On Jan 03, 2011
Does one have to be in love with his wife to have a happy marriage?

no.

friends who claim to love their wives and all thatyou need to see how they beat their wives,cheat on them,lie to them,no form loyality to them at all

true observation.
Re: Love Is Overated In Marriage by harakiri(m): 10:48am On Jan 08, 2011
There is NOTHING like love. It's an illusion (just like people who believe in life after death). If there was anything such as "true love", there would be no heartbreaks, separations or divorces. It's all about conditioning my friend. When the conditions that caused both sides to be attracted to each other disappears, so does the so called "love".

Nuff said! ! !

(1) (Reply)

What's Your Take On This Same-sex Marriage Debate? / . / How Much Is Enough

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.