Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,198 members, 7,825,763 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:27 PM

'Space Flight' For Nigerian (from South East) Girl - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'Space Flight' For Nigerian (from South East) Girl (1087 Views)

The Article Every Nigerian From The South NEEDS To READ / Gabon Deports 500 W’africans, Separates Nigerian From Wife, Son / PDP Youth South/South East Rally & Townhall Meeting (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

'Space Flight' For Nigerian (from South East) Girl by omongbatic: 5:50pm On Jan 02, 2011
'Space flight' for Nigerian (from South East) girl
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5364722.stm
Re: 'Space Flight' For Nigerian (from South East) Girl by omongbatic: 5:50pm On Jan 02, 2011
Space flight' for Nigerian girl
Stella
Stella is top of her class at physics and chemistry
A 17-year-old schoolgirl is to become the first Nigerian to experience a "space flight" when she takes off from the Kennedy Space Center on Saturday.

Stella Felix from the south-east was chosen from 400 Nigerian students who applied to go on a zero-gravity flight.

"I feel like an ambassador," she said before leaving Lagos for Florida. "I feel so happy to be the first."

She will fly at an altitude of 10km (6 miles) on G-Force One, before dropping, giving a minute of weightlessness.

These parabolic flights on board a Boeing 727 are used as a training exercise for astronauts - and have been given the nickname the "vomit comet". They do not leave the atmosphere but simulate the experience of being in space.

Stella is top of her school in science subjects. Her parents earn a living selling second hand clothes.

"I'll be looking up in the sky for her," her mother Eunice told AP news agency.

The trip is organised to coincide with the United Nations' Space Week.

"The goal of the programme is to use space to inspire education on a global basis while promoting international understanding among the youth," said Robert Boroffice, director general of the National Space Research and Development Agency.

In 2001, the Nigerian Government formally adopted a National Space Policy and launched its first satellite in 2003.
Re: 'Space Flight' For Nigerian (from South East) Girl by deor03(m): 6:00pm On Jan 02, 2011
Wonderful !.

But this is no longer news. This happened in 2006
Re: 'Space Flight' For Nigerian (from South East) Girl by klas(m): 6:34pm On Jan 02, 2011
^^^ I was about saying that. In any case, @omongbatic, was her region of origin emphasised in the report? Why not also emphasised that her school was Moremi High School Ile-Ife. Osun State.
Re: 'Space Flight' For Nigerian (from South East) Girl by jason123: 7:09pm On Jan 02, 2011
klas:

^^^ I was about saying that. In any case, @omongbatic, was her region of origin emphasised in the report? Why not also emphasised that her school was Moremi High School Ile-Ife. Osun State.
Well said! This guy is just trying to take the accommodating nature of people for granted sad

@ topic

Congratulations to the girl! Nice one!! Up Nigeria!!!
Re: 'Space Flight' For Nigerian (from South East) Girl by aljharem(m): 7:14pm On Jan 02, 2011
omonigbatic, you have started disgracing yourself again this year 2011

well just shows how an igbo girl can go to the south west and achieve something in life instead of looking at it form an ethnic lens look at it as a nigerian

was she not schooled in the south west of nigeria,,,, if she was still in south-east do u think she will have achieve that undecided

my igbo brother, you have started againoooooooo angry angry angry
Re: 'Space Flight' For Nigerian (from South East) Girl by omongbatic: 7:16pm On Jan 02, 2011
klas:

Yes it was. Can you read?

Stella Felix from the south-east was chosen from 400 Nigerian students who applied to go on a zero-gravity flight.
Re: 'Space Flight' For Nigerian (from South East) Girl by omongbatic: 7:18pm On Jan 02, 2011
This thread was created to demonstrate to fstranger that Igbos are always one step ahead. He wanted to show Yoruba superiority here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-578036.0.html and I beat him (as I always do) to it.
Re: 'Space Flight' For Nigerian (from South East) Girl by aljharem(m): 7:24pm On Jan 02, 2011
^^^

how was it not just a joke

do you know that blazay and me were there and we are not even yoruba undecided

(1) (Reply)

Buhahahah! As Emirs, Northern Leaders Reject Buhari / Niger State Gov Again To Buhari - Your Village Not Nigeria / What Is Boko Haram Fighting For?,n Delta Militant=oil War!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.