Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,825 members, 7,810,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:23 PM

Disowning Family In Nigeria - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Disowning Family In Nigeria (3746 Views)

Ghost Terrorizes Family In The United Kingdom (Pictures) / Beautiful African Lady Commits Suicide Because Of Pressure From Family In Africa / Beautiful Photos Of 5 Family In Matching Outfits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disowning Family In Nigeria by Xone3(f): 11:48am On Apr 10, 2020
Life can be exciting and funny

1 Like

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by successmatters(m): 11:51am On Apr 10, 2020
Just stand in front of them and try to shout "I disown you!"

You will be shocked when they scream it together in your own face while throwing you out.

You don't know how hard it is to raise someone till age 30.

I think you're being rash, but you can give us the whole story so we can make more informed suggestions.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by madridguy(m): 11:54am On Apr 10, 2020
May God Almighty forgive you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Evergreen4(m): 12:01pm On Apr 10, 2020
Why do you want to disown your parents ?

What is the bone of contention?

Can't it be resolved ?

Are things beyond repair ?

Look inward and ask your self these questions before you take any further decision

2 Likes

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Froshloaded: 12:11pm On Apr 10, 2020
Don't take things too far there..
When we are mad, we take rash decisions
Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by thorpido(m): 12:21pm On Apr 10, 2020
'Some mothers do have them.....' but some children also do have them.
Op,no matter how bad you may think your parents are,there is a way around it rather than thinking of disowning them.
We don't know your story except you spill it but still don't make a rash decision.
Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by VenusEAGLE: 12:23pm On Apr 10, 2020
Xone3:
Please I need the procedures needed to disown myself from my parents. Almost 30 and I am psychologically drained.
instead of that try and find a way to get an apartment.
You need a personal place. There is no way you will be staying with your parents at over 27 and you people will not clash.

Find a means to rent a place no matter what it takes

6 Likes

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by crackland: 12:35pm On Apr 10, 2020
You don't need to disown them, you only need to make good of yourself, get comfortable, and own your shít.

If you want to get married, make sure you marry a man 10x more wealthy than your father.
I assure you, you will become the star-child of the family.

Na frustration make dem dey worry your life.

If your parents were well-to-do, they would have found a way to connect you to one of the wealthy friends in their circle to get you a good job which would take you out of their house so they won't be seeing your face again.

8 Likes

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by faithfull18(f): 1:44pm On Apr 10, 2020
Lol grin, this Op is funny.
Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Xone3(f): 2:48pm On Apr 10, 2020
VenusEAGLE:
instead of that try and find a way to get an apartment.
You need a personal place. There is no way you will be staying with your parents at over 27 and you people will not clash.

Find a means to rent a place no matter what it takes
Thanks, I actually have a job and we stay apart. However, I went home due to the covid19 lockdown and things haven't changed within us.
They feel I am proud, disobedient and wayward. All I have ever tried to do was please them. I am not perfect, I am stubborn, hard hearted, kind, firm in my decisions and highly opinionated. Abused at 8, psychologically abused from young till now. Thanks for your comment

6 Likes

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Xone3(f): 2:51pm On Apr 10, 2020
crackland:
You don't need to disown them, you only need to make good of yourself, get comfortable, and own your shít.

If you want to get married, make sure you marry a man 10x more wealthy than your father.
I assure you, you will become the star-child of the family.

Na frustration make dem dey worry your life.

If your parents were well-to-do, they would have found a way to connect you to one of the wealthy friends in their circle to get you a good job which would take you out of their house so they won't be seeing your face again.
Thanks , you made me smile and cry. I am actually not jobless, I have a job that means the world to me but I am tired of being the bad child. The one every family both near and far see as the odd one out. The rebellious one who is disobedient, proud and unruly. The bad influence to the other child. The one that tries to be independent and won't leave her room.
Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Xone3(f): 2:58pm On Apr 10, 2020
thorpido:
'Some mothers do have them.....' but some children also do have them.
Op,no matter how bad you may think your parents are,there is a way around it rather than thinking of disowning them.
We don't know your story except you spill it but still don't make a rash decision.
I dread going home, I keep my shoulders high out of fear of what next I am going to do wrong and get beaten for it. I isolate myself because I don't want to get in trouble or say something bad. However, I am highly outspoken, playful, annoying. They aren't bad actually, they don't understand me and I don't understand them either. They have their opinions and I have mine but no matter what, we haven't been able to understand each other. Dialogue hasn't worked. I don't want them to disown me but I want to severe ties so I don't run mad. It's always like I am not enough, I can never do anything right. Religiously, I am a failure because I am not spiritual. Also, I may never get married because of this. At this point, what I care most about is me and my job.

3 Likes

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Xone3(f): 2:59pm On Apr 10, 2020
faithfull18:
Lol grin, this Op is funny.
You won't understand. May never will. Don't ever pray to be emotionally drained.

1 Like

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:04pm On Apr 10, 2020
Don't take everything others say about you to heart. Learn to smile, swallow the resentment and to press the 'don't save' button in your memory. You are no longer a baby.

4 Likes

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by faithfull18(f): 3:04pm On Apr 10, 2020
Xone3:

You won't understand. May never will. Don't ever pray to be emotionally drained.
I do understand, don't mind me though. The way you put it was just kind-of funny because in this part of the world, it's rare to see an African child voice out about disowning their parents.
Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Xone3(f): 3:23pm On Apr 10, 2020
faithfull18:

I do understand, don't mind me though. The way you put it was just kind-of funny because in this part of the world, it's rare to see an African child voice out about disowning their parents.

If I can come out, you should understand that I am drained. Extremely drained. I grew up believing I am the problem. I just want to be guilt free.

3 Likes

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Xone3(f): 3:25pm On Apr 10, 2020
RisenPhoenix:
Don't take everything others say about you to heart. Learn to smile, swallow the resentment and to press the 'don't save' button in your memory. You are no longer a baby.
Thanks. The funny thing is people around me feel I am too playful because I have tried so hard to put it behind but family members think otherwise. I am almost believing I have a problem.
Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:50pm On Apr 10, 2020
U are a lesbian,right?

You should have hidden who u are and look for way to travel out and then be free to do as u want.

The last people on earth to accept homo are nigerians.
Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by frozen70(f): 3:59pm On Apr 10, 2020
Xone3:
Please I need the procedures needed to disown myself from my parents. Almost 30 and I am psychologically drained.

If you disown your family, which family do you want to adopt or you want to be alone

You should have identified the source of your drainage and bring it here

You can rent an apartment and start a new life if you feel that your family is responsible for your dwindling life

If you dis own them that means, even in your village, you are alone with no kins men attached to

Think Well about it
Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Xone3(f): 4:01pm On Apr 10, 2020
frozen70:

If you disown your family, which family do you want to adopt or you want to be alone

You should have identified the source of your drainage and bring it here

You can rent an apartment and start a new life if you feel that your family is responsible for your dwindling life

If you dis own them that means, even in your village, you are alone with no kins men attached to

Think Well about it

Okay,thanks
Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Xone3(f): 4:02pm On Apr 10, 2020
sassysure:
U are a lesbian,right?

You should have hidden who u are and look for way to travel out and then be free to do as u want.

The last people on earth to accept homo are nigerians.

Lesbian bawo? No I am not, far from it.

2 Likes

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:29pm On Apr 10, 2020
Xone3:

Thanks. The funny thing is people around me feel I am too playful because I have tried so hard to put it behind but family members think otherwise. I am almost believing I have a problem.

Forget that. You can't fulfill everyone's expectations. The most important skill in life is learning when to say 'fvck it, I don't care'.

Just plug in your ear buds and listen to Gloria Gaynor's 'I will Survive'. Here you are...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ-SwJjkSyw

I used to recommend that to all my girlfriends whenever we no longer wished to continue with a relationship; back in the day. They all told me it worked. Your situation is different, but it will work here too. Makes you feel better than disowning them.

1 Like

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:50pm On Apr 10, 2020
what about walking away, and remove them from your life completely...

2 Likes

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Saintmary(f): 4:52pm On Apr 10, 2020
Xone3:

I dread going home, I keep my shoulders high out of fear of what next I am going to do wrong and get beaten for it. I isolate myself because I don't want to get in trouble or say something bad. However, I am highly outspoken, playful, annoying. They aren't bad actually, they don't understand me and I don't understand them either. They have their opinions and I have mine but no matter what, we haven't been able to understand each other. Dialogue hasn't worked. I don't want them to disown me but I want to severe ties so I don't run mad. It's always like I am not enough, I can never do anything right. Religiously, I am a failure because I am not spiritual. Also, I may never get married because of this. At this point, what I care most about is me and my job.
Are you the first daughter?
Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Mariangeles(f): 5:26pm On Apr 10, 2020
Xone3:

You don't need to disown them, you just need your own space.
Disowning them is disowning yourself.
Think about it; what's your identity, root and heritage without them? Doesn't that mean anything to you?
Ask orphans who grew up in orphanages and never knew where they came from;
Why do you think they go through lengths to at least know where they came from? Acceptance aside

1 Like

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Xone3(f): 5:36pm On Apr 10, 2020
Saintmary:

Are you the first daughter?

Only
Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Saintmary(f): 5:54pm On Apr 10, 2020
Xone3:

Only
Just as there is a lot of pressure on the first sons and only sons in African households, there is the same amount of pressure on first and only daughters. It's your job to be the second mummy in the house minus the perks of a wife, you must be perfect, you are the unpaid househelp, the cook, cleaner, laundrywoman, you must chose the perfect angel of a man, marry the best man in your parents' perception, till you find one, you can stay single for all they care, they'll not help you find one but will haraunge you for being single. You must pick up after your brothers without complaints etc. Feel free to add the rest.
You're not alone dear.
Tell your parents you will do what you can, help out around the house for this short time, when you're tired, say it and go straight to your room but never let a day go by without you helping out. Block your ears to their insults, transfer some money and airtime to them occasionally, go out to the pharmacy and buy some few cool stuff for them. Trust me, it will reduce. Hang in there.

1 Like

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by merieam16(f): 6:27pm On Apr 10, 2020
why do u wana disown ur biological parents? Are they pressurizing u on somthing?
Are u married?
Are u grown and also responsible? cos dez definitely sumtin fishy nd wrong.

Come wat may, u dont av the right to disown ur parent.just forgive them and move on
Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Xone3(f): 6:32pm On Apr 10, 2020
Saintmary:

Just as there is a lot of pressure on the first sons and only sons in African households, there is the same amount of pressure on first and only daughters. It's your job to be the second mummy in the house minus the perks of a wife, you must be perfect, you are the unpaid househelp, the cook, cleaner, laundrywoman, you must chose the perfect angel of a man, marry the best man in your parents' perception, till you find one, you can stay single for all they care, they'll not help you find one but will haraunge you for being single. You must pick up after your brothers without complaints etc. Feel free to add the rest.
You're not alone dear.
Tell your parents you will do what you can, help out around the house for this short time, when you're tired, say it and go straight to your room but never let a day go by without you helping out. Block your ears to their insults, transfer some money and airtime to them occasionally, go out to the pharmacy and buy some few cool stuff for them. Trust me, it will reduce. Hang in there.

Thanks, I really appreciate you. The fact that there I keep hearing that there is nothing I know how to do. I am viewed as not religious which I really don't want to be. You are not allowed to have an opinion or say. I am perceived as rude because of the tone of my voice, I am belittled every single day. I look more like the black ship even extended family capitalise on that to say, Oh! she is no good, she is this and that. I am drained and in other not to tarnish the name I feel it will be better to legally remove it. I am actually thinking of seeing a psychologist too and decide if I should go ahead with it. Lets I forget, it is my fault that I am still single because I didnt marry my ex of 6 years and no one will marry a bad person like me. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Xone3(f): 6:37pm On Apr 10, 2020
merieam16:
why do u wana disown ur biological parents? Are they pressurizing u on somthing?
Are u married?
Are u grown and also responsible? cos dez definitely sumtin fishy nd wrong.

Come wat may, u dont av the right to disown ur parent.just forgive them and move on
I am 29, single, a no-good child, have a job and business. I think I am responsible except you have parameters for me to measure it. I dont really like being dictated to about my life, strong willed, stubborn, perceived to be proud, loved by most of my colleagues even the one I fight with, blunt, I can give my last kobo to people, outgoing outside but introverted around family, extremely playful outside. There is no chores I cant do but i am a firm believer in free will and I love independence.
Yes, I can disown whoever I need to even though this is Africa.

1 Like

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Saintmary(f): 6:38pm On Apr 10, 2020
Xone3:

Thanks, I really appreciate you. The fact that there I keep hearing that there is nothing I know how to do. I am viewed as not religious which I really don't want to be. You are not allowed to have an opinion or say. I am perceived as rude because of the tone of my voice, I am belittled every single day. I look more like the black ship even extended family capitalise on that to say, Oh! she is no good, she is this and that. I am drained and in other not to tarnish the name I feel it will be better to legally remove it. I am actually thinking of seeing a psychologist too and decide if I should go ahead with it. Lets I forget, it is my fault that I am still single because I didnt marry my ex of 6 years and no one will marry a bad person like me. Thanks
I won't tell you its an easy journey, try to do "odieshi" at anything they say, smile a lot, practice thankfulness in your own privacy, just be cool, its always darkest before dawn. Pick up your life one problem at a time. It will soon be over. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Disowning Family In Nigeria by Xone3(f): 6:38pm On Apr 10, 2020
MrBrownJay1:
what about walking away, and remove them from your life completely...

Working on that too.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My 2yr Old Child - Is This Normal? / Advice About Breastpumps / Four Month Used Mouka 6X6 Bed With Frame

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.