Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,484 members, 7,958,464 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 02:54 PM

Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review (7461 Views)

Acura TL 2010 Available / This Is Probably The Most Amazing Features In The Acura Tl 2012! / Between Acura TL 2010 & Lexus ES 350, Which Should I Buy?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by HeavenlyBang(m): 1:56pm On Apr 11, 2020
Kelvin30286063:
Hello Gurus, I hail everyone.
So I recently sold my Honda and I'm considering buying a new car.
I have had my eyes of Acura TL 2010 for a while even when I was driving my Honda accord.
Now that I have the opportunity to buy it, I'm seriously considering my peace of mind after buying.
I'll very much appreciate a review of the car. I have watched some videos on YouTube but they are mostly done by white people who don't experience the kind of bad roads we have in Nigeria.

I'll really love to know what car gurus in the house think about this car. I'm thinking of going to inspect it soon as lockdown is over and buying straight if all goes well but I can always change my mind if you guys tell me not to buy the car.

I'm very much interested in the fact that it's a 309hp engine.

One of the things I want to know is the suspensions. I had that issue with my Honda.
Though the Honda doesn't pull legs but the suspension is always very fragile.

If you drive an Acura or you're a guru with cars. Kindly help a brother with your opinion. Thank you all.

Btw, rockauto is a good resource. Going by my research,
the TL doesn't share struts with any Honda. Ball joints and things like control arms are shared with the 8th gen Accord, though.

Suspension parts shouldn't be an issue.

Why not do a 2013 Accord?
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by udemzyudex(m): 2:43pm On Apr 11, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Just shut up abeg.

Be civil man.

1 Like

Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by 9icetoo(m): 2:47pm On Apr 11, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

I don't want to be that guy but this is literally never going to happen.
Lol. Just pulling your legs. cheesy
Of course the infinity has plenty of oomph. They are on par.

1 Like

Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by HeavenlyBang(m): 2:50pm On Apr 11, 2020
9icetoo:

Lol. Just pulling your legs. cheesy
Of course the infinity has plenty of oomph. They are on par.

Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by 9icetoo(m): 2:53pm On Apr 11, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Anyway, OP. This is what I've learnt about this car over the past few weeks.

FWD version gets the 280 HP engine from the Accord. Does not require premium, and has better fuel economy.
SH-AWD gets Acura's top of the line 300HP+ 3.7L. Absolutely requires premium. Worse fuel economy. But drives a lot better. Different exhaust system too, which is very important to me.

The car is based on the 8th gen Accord. Evil Spirit. But it's not quite an Accord.

Body parts are really expensive. And it has considerably more technology in it than an Accord. This isn't a cheap car to own.

The 3.7L burns oil, due to a piston ring defect. There are also known propeller shaft issues.

The interior is excellent. Acura's Panasonic ELS is widely hailed as one of the best in the business, even till now. Definitely better than the Bose Infiniti uses or the Harman Kardon MB used during that era.

The facelift was 2012. That's the car I'd advice you to look at. Grille was changed to something less obnoxious, transmission was changed to a 6-speed, and Bluetooth Audio was introduced.

It's a reasonably reliable car otherwise. The FWD is the much safer option, SH-AWD is for those who actually enjoy driving for the sake of driving.

Good luck, and keep me updated if you go on with the purchase.

Not all engines burned oil. The 2010 - 2012 or so burned oil. My mdx has the same 3.7l j37 engine and doesn't burn a drop between oil changes.
I can't remember the exact years that burned oil. Op do your research.
Propeller issue wasn't pronounced and was rarely mentioned in the mdxers or TL group I registered to.
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by 9icetoo(m): 2:54pm On Apr 11, 2020
[quote author=HeavenlyBang post=88328331][/quote]
grin grin
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by HeavenlyBang(m): 2:57pm On Apr 11, 2020
9icetoo:

Not all engines burned oil. The 2010 - 2012 or so burned oil. My mdx has the same 3.7l j37 engine and doesn't burn a drop between oil changes.
I can't remember the exact years that burned oil. Op do your research.
Propeller issue wasn't pronounced and was rarely mentioned in the mdxers or TL group I registered to.

Ah, ok. My research was mostly on the 2012 MY. Glad to hear the prop shaft issue isn't a big deal.
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by Kelvin30286063(m): 3:06pm On Apr 11, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Btw, rockauto is a good resource. Going by my research,
the TL doesn't share struts with any Honda. Ball joints and things like control arms are shared with the 8th gen Accord, though.

Suspension parts shouldn't be an issue.

Why not do a 2013 Accord?
It's a good idea bro, thanks but I'm scared of Honda now since my last two experiences. My wife will not have Honda in the house anymore. The last Honda I used doesn't pull leg but I'm always spending money on the suspension. Shakes today, sound coming from the leg tomorrow.
She won't forgive me if I buy another Honda and we start the same process again.
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by Kelvin30286063(m): 3:10pm On Apr 11, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Ah, ok. My research was mostly on the 2012 MY. Glad to hear the prop shaft issue isn't a big deal.
Thanks for your review
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:12pm On Apr 11, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

It's a good idea bro, thanks but I'm scared of Honda now since my last two experiences. My wife will not have Honda in the house anymore. The last Honda I used doesn't pull leg but I'm always spending money on the suspension. Shakes today, sound coming from the leg tomorrow.
She won't forgive me if I buy another Honda and we start the same process again.

Well, the TL uses most of the same suspension parts as the 08-12 Accord and Crosstour. The issue here may be you buying fake parts.
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by Philadelphia: 6:40pm On Apr 11, 2020
Lexusgs430:
I drive an Acura RL and it's a car that would put a smile on your face, everytime you're behind the wheels or stealing glances..........

Enough pulling power to leave HeavenlyBang's mota gasping for breath............ cheesy

If it's the SH-AWD you're even talking about, it's still not possible
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by Philadelphia: 6:50pm On Apr 11, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

Honda! Honda! Honda!
The Honda you use no get model and year?

I guess it's an 08-10 Honda accord
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by Lexusgs430: 7:05pm On Apr 11, 2020
Philadelphia:

If it's the SH-AWD you're even talking about, it's still not possible

All Acura RL's are SH - AWD enabled........

The Acura might be heavier, but never doubt the prowess of an orobo...........
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by Philadelphia: 11:08pm On Apr 11, 2020
Lexusgs430:

All Acura RL's are SH - AWD enabled........

The Acura might be heavier, but never doubt the prowess of an orobo...........

I was referring to the TL which is OP's point of concern.

Event that, your RL SH-AWD cannot take on the 2008 Infiniti G35x

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by AgentGoat: 1:33pm On Apr 12, 2020
legalwealth:
It's a nice car that you will enjoy if you refuse to be sold a lemon one! !!

The brand is actually premium/luxury version of Honda which is known for balancing on speed.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by Bizzyliss(m): 1:58pm On Apr 12, 2020
I have the 2012 for sale
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by Kelvin30286063(m): 2:54pm On Apr 12, 2020
Bizzyliss:
I have the 2012 for sale
I checked it and your price is outrageous. It's worth it though since it's toks but I can't afford it.
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by HeavenlyBang(m): 3:11pm On Apr 12, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

I checked it and your price is outrageous. It's worth it though since it's toks but I can't afford it.

There's nothing outrageous about that price. Go price a 2012 C350 or G37.
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by Philadelphia: 10:40pm On Apr 12, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

Saw a white 2012 G37 toks for 3m
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by AutoMoTech(m): 11:27pm On Apr 12, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

I tot so too... For a 2012 Acura? Dts almost the same price for a honda. Probably the OP has seen it somewhere cheaper na why e say the thing dey outrageous.... Anyways big ups to all dt dropped good info... Threads like this are d types i love to read about...

1 Like

Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by Kelvin30286063(m): 12:04pm On Apr 13, 2020
AutoMoTech:

I tot so too... For a 2012 Acura? Dts almost the same price for a honda. Probably the OP has seen it somewhere cheaper na why e say the thing dey outrageous.... Anyways big ups to all dt dropped good info... Threads like this are d types i love to read about...
I actually saw a 2012 that is going for 2.8m, I was considering it until I came across his own. I wasn't expect something above 3m. That was why I said it's outrageous.
I want to appreciate everyone that gave an input. It was so insightful and helpful. After all said and done. I have decided to go for the 2010 SH-AWD cuz I love to enjoy driving. Got someone in Lagos that is selling his for 1.8m, I'll take a look as soon as this lockdown is over. He's a distress seller but he's got no choice than to wait right now.

Also I'll be taking a mechanic with me and doing a thorough checking, I'll really appreciate if you guys can tell me some of the things to look out for when checking the car. God bless you all.
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:28pm On Apr 13, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

I actually saw a 2012 that is going for 2.8m, I was considering it until I came across his own. I wasn't expect something above 3m. That was why I said it's outrageous.
I want to appreciate everyone that gave an input. It was so insightful and helpful. After all said and done. I have decided to go for the 2010 SH-AWD cuz I love to enjoy driving. Got someone in Lagos that is selling his for 1.8m, I'll take a look as soon as this lockdown is over. He's a distress seller but he's got no choice than to wait right now.

Also I'll be taking a mechanic with me and doing a thorough checking, I'll really appreciate if you guys can tell me some of the things to look out for when checking the car. God bless you all.

A toks 2012 TL for 2.8m. Lmao. E go shock you the day wey customs go stop you for road.

1 Like

Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by Kelvin30286063(m): 12:31pm On Apr 13, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

A toks 2012 TL for 2.8m. Lmao. E go shock you the day wey customs go stop you for road.
It's not toks. It's Nigeria used. Why do people always promote tokunbo cars as if it was not used where it was brought in from?
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:35pm On Apr 13, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

It's not toks. It's Nigeria used. Why do people always promote tokunbo cars as if it was not used where it was brought in from?

Buy the one wey you want. Enjoy. wink
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by foolbuster: 2:19pm On Apr 13, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

Its a no brainer. The cars that are used over there are in a better shape than those used here.
Good roads. Cooler clime (at least in majority of cases). Better knowledge and maintenance culture. Every thing used on the car is genuine from petrol to carrug.

4 Likes

Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by HeavenlyBang(m): 2:43pm On Apr 13, 2020
foolbuster:

Its a no brainer. The cars that are used over there are in a better shape than those used here.
Good roads. Cooler clime (at least in majority of cases). Better knowledge and maintenance culture. Every thing used on the car is genuine from petrol to carrug.

You get strength.
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by Kelvin30286063(m): 5:01pm On Apr 13, 2020
foolbuster:

That's true sha but will we ever get to that point in Nigeria?
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by foolbuster: 5:01pm On Apr 13, 2020
HeavenlyBang:

You get strength.

Omo, na only to press internet and drink spirit we dey do this days na aaa. grin
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by foolbuster: 5:04pm On Apr 13, 2020
Kelvin30286063:

That's true sha but will we ever get to that point in Nigeria?

Not as long as some people are still atikulating while the others are doing sai babaangry
Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by lexini: 8:44pm On Apr 13, 2020
Hi

Considering the 2009/2010 Acura mdx.

Can u pls share your experience using an mdx

9icetoo:
With our crappy fuel, it will be hard to squeeze out all that 309 horses.
If you want to enjoy the handling of which it has the best in its category, get the sh-awd version.
Fuel economy isn't great. It's quite heavy especially the awd version.
If you want to leave heavenlybang in your dust, add a few cans of octane boosters (not injector cleaners ooo), step on the accelerator and watch that car head 0-100 in less than six seconds.
That car is a boss on the highway.
It uses a timing belt so don't buy cheap when it's time to replace. The maintenance minders will tell you when to replace.
You must not use synthetic oil but you must use the correct oil grade.
Some model year tl had issues with warped rotor caused by heavy breaking (my mdx has already had that so now I drive gently grin).
Just take care of her normally and you will be fine.
One more thing, if anything makes your check engine light come on, you will lose the awd capability. Car will simply go to front wheel drive mode.
Suspension is not that bad. Bad roads hurt every damn car even the fabled hilux.
Buy the car and shame a few marque brands on the roads. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by 9icetoo(m): 9:45pm On Apr 13, 2020
lexini:
Hi

Considering the 2009/2010 Acura mdx.

Can u pls share your experience using an mdx

So far so good.
Maintenance is easy so far. Things replaced:
1. Front discs and pad (heavy braking caused them to warp). Cheap compared to other cars
2. Starter motor (kick starter) . Note, the previous one worked but made a high pitched noise after starting vehicle which to me was a sign all wasn't well with it. Very cheap.
3. Rear wiper engine (casing cracked one fateful day. Don't know what caused it. Replaced myself).
4. New rim And tyre for spare (hated the donut spare that comes with the car)
5. Front and rear shocks (effects of travelling frequently with full family. Our highways aren't very friendly to suspension components. Still good though but didn't feel as when car came in).

All in all, everything Spent so far is less than 120k.

Fuel economy is not bad. In Lagos consumption is between 12mpg to 14mpg.
Best I ever got from highway driving was 18mpg (note this is with car fully loaded with wife kids and personal effects.)

Now the interesting part....
The interior is well made and laid out.
No noise unless at high speeds of about 120km/hr. That's when you start hearing some road noise in the cabin. Faint though.
Acceleration is superb. If you want to really squeeze out all the HP available, throw in a bottle or two of octane boosters to half tank, step on the right pedal and smile and the roar from the 300+ engine.

The shawd come in handy as well. It's the best in class. During my travels, it has got me out of a few tight corners and places especially the ph-enugu stretch of road. Very ridiculous road especially the ABA section. Never ever got stuck. Hardly any wheel spin. Gets in and out of rough terrain like an awd should.

The entertainment package is awesome too. The Roof mounted DVD Keeps the kids busy on long journeys while the sound system is awesome.

In all, it's a wonderful car.

10 Likes

Re: Please Help A Brother With Acura TL 2010 Review by lexini: 11:01pm On Apr 13, 2020
thanks a lot for this review.

9icetoo:

So far so good.
Maintenance is easy so far. Things replaced:
1. Front discs and pad (heavy braking caused them to warp). Cheap compared to other cars
2. Starter motor (kick starter) . Note, the previous one worked but made a high pitched noise after starting vehicle which to me was a sign all wasn't well with it. Very cheap.
3. Rear wiper engine (casing cracked one fateful day. Don't know what caused it. Replaced myself).
4. New rim And tyre for spare (hated the donut spare that comes with the car)
5. Front and rear shocks (effects of travelling frequently with full family. Our highways aren't very friendly to suspension components. Still good though but didn't feel as when car came in).

All in all, everything Spent so far is less than 120k.

Fuel economy is not bad. In Lagos consumption is between 12mpg to 14mpg.
Best I ever got from highway driving was 18mpg (note this is with car fully loaded with wife kids and personal effects.)

Now the interesting part....
The interior is well made and laid out.
No noise unless at high speeds of about 120km/hr. That's when you start hearing some road noise in the cabin. Faint though.
Acceleration is superb. If you want to really squeeze out all the HP available, throw in a bottle or two of octane boosters to half tank, step on the right pedal and smile and the roar from the 300+ engine.

The shawd come in handy as well. It's the best in class. During my travels, it has got me out of a few tight corners and places especially the ph-enugu stretch of road. Very ridiculous road especially the ABA section. Never ever got stuck. Hardly any wheel spin. Gets in and out of rough terrain like an awd should.

The entertainment package is awesome too. The Roof mounted DVD Keeps the kids busy on long journeys while the sound system is awesome.

In all, it's a wonderful car.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chinese Tech Giant Tencent Buys $1.7 Billion Worth Of Tesla Shares / 6 Warning Signs Of A Failing Alternator / My Personal Review Of The 2011 Mercedes Benz GLK .....part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.