Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,643 members, 7,955,339 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:19 PM

Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) (9253 Views)

Ondo State Introduces Compulsory Access Card For Residents / Ondo State Introduces 'mysterious Virus' To World; 18 Dead - WHO / Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by denzel2009: 7:10pm On Jan 05, 2011
Awww bless him. He should have had the toilet automated to shoot shytes on neighbours via the trunk.
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by blank(f): 7:14pm On Jan 05, 2011
I can trivialise d topic as I like. The topic is already trivial anywayz. @ Rasputin, Hope ur not thinking dat d news is real.
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by UyiIredia(m): 7:23pm On Jan 05, 2011
some people (dat yahoo-yahoo guy) are so dull undecided
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by spikedcylinder: 7:43pm On Jan 05, 2011
baby.me:

My bad. Thot the picture came with the story. Now can you smile for me? grin

Nah. I posted it on here sometimes ago and I guess it got copied from there.
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by newmusic: 8:00pm On Jan 05, 2011
Rubbish!!! Shior,
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by ujchief(m): 9:07pm On Jan 05, 2011
the guy's brains got blocked after he swallowed that thing that swallowed the elephant.
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by Becomrichn: 9:20pm On Jan 05, 2011
Is this a joke, or fashola did introduce ugly building tax. That is going too far.
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by sulad82i(m): 9:34pm On Jan 05, 2011
I cant believe this. This should be illegal, cos the govt cant tell u how to build your house.
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by greggng: 10:23pm On Jan 05, 2011
unfortunately the man who claimed that a yahoo boy chased him out of business, did not tell us how he got his own money. Am sure he must be one of this politicians stealing from public fund. Kettle calling pot black.
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by Danni2: 10:41pm On Jan 05, 2011
THIS IS MY HONEST TAKE ON THIS: Nobody who has attained a university-level education would build that kind of structure. I don't know the guy in question who built that house, but i bet he lacks sound mind. I suspect lack of proper education." PEOPLE SHOULD GO TO SCHOOL. ITS NOT JUST ABOUT GETTING A DECENT JOB, IT'S GOOD FOR A SOUND MIND.
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jan 05, 2011
I'm going to print that picshurrreee and hang by my desk at work, should do wonders for my mood when work is pissing me off
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by Borat1: 11:46pm On Jan 05, 2011
Please someone help me out here. . .
Do people ACTUALLY LIVE IN THE BODY OF THE ELEPHANT, or is that just a waste of cement?
If yes how do they get in there?
Dont tell me its just a waste of cement. . .no sad
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by seyibrown(f): 11:53pm On Jan 05, 2011
Looks like somebody accomplished his dream to have an Elephant sitting on top of his house! grin grin I'll put a UFO on top of mine! cool grin
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by Shaunscot(m): 11:57pm On Jan 05, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin

That house is the thing that swallowed the thing that swallowed the elephant

grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by moremi2008(m): 12:00am On Jan 06, 2011
OMG! That is the ugliest house I have ever seen! What was the architect thinking? It is ABSOLUTELY hideous!
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by sizzlers(m): 12:15am On Jan 06, 2011
U know what? i think this building suppose to be converted to a museum where ENDANGERED SPECIES are kept cos i dont think any danger will come  them when they are there, the house alone is scary and horror.
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by ibelab(m): 12:54am On Jan 06, 2011
see houseoo!! this our Nollywood film makers slf, this house good na to dey take act horror (abi na witch) movies grin what a hell was this guy thinking ,
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by babaowo: 1:26am On Jan 06, 2011
i dey laugh ooo,
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by Nobody: 1:57am On Jan 06, 2011
This has got to be moved to the joke section grin grin grin The writer of this wonderful article was obviously bored and decided to spice it up with some humour.
This is a brilliant masterpiece grin grin tongue
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by isalegan2: 2:09am On Jan 06, 2011
babapupa:

“They say my house is not beautiful? They are mad. Who dem be sef? Wey dem? They sef don build house? Abegi, make I hear word. If na poverty dey worry dem, make dem talk to me, I go settle the baggers. This na Lagos, nothing wey settlement nor fit settle.”
bwahahahahahahahehehehehohohoho  grin grin grin

Kilode?!:

There is no way you can have a new born baby inside that structure and it will not become an Abiku! no way!! shocked shocked

grin undecided  sad wink smiley
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by spyder880(m): 2:19am On Jan 06, 2011
Danni2:

THIS IS MY HONEST TAKE ON THIS: Nobody who has attained a university-level education would build that kind of structure. I don't know the guy in question who built that house, but i bet he lacks sound mind. I suspect lack of proper education." PEOPLE SHOULD GO TO SCHOOL. ITS NOT JUST ABOUT GETTING A DECENT JOB, IT'S GOOD FOR A SOUND MIND.

Actually, you are dumb. Thinking that education can stop bad things is plain illiteracy, was OBJ, Ibori and even Tafa Balogun not educated? Was madam Ibru not in university? I am sure osisikankwu had a good degree sef. In fact, it takes graduates to build ugly houses. Is civil engineering, architecture not degree courses. Just dont stop me from the laughter in this fine satire. I praise the writer.
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by fafie02: 2:30am On Jan 06, 2011
Strange Building  , the owner probably felt it was of high ingenuity.
As regards the tax, the government could also adopt proactive means, by checking all plans and architectural designs before implementation (i guess that's one of the reasons for a town planning division)
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by spyder880(m): 2:34am On Jan 06, 2011
fafie02:

Strange Building  , the owner probably felt it was of high ingenuity.
As regards the tax, the government could also adopt proactive means, by checking all plans and architectural designs before implementation (i guess that's one of the reasons for a town planning division)

I cannot fault the creativity, I only have problems with the result. Is it really hard finding a graduate of fine arts to design and produce an elephant in either cement or metal? That one is plain ugggly!
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by emofine(f): 3:06am On Jan 06, 2011
10cirenoh:

Gosh, this house should be converted to a rehab house asap, i mean rehab for mentally deranged people.

Then such a person will never be well again.
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by DisGuy: 3:16am On Jan 06, 2011
the owner of the house should be interviewed but then again he might be a game hunter
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by spyder880(m): 3:27am On Jan 06, 2011
luizworld:

This has got to be moved to the joke section grin grin grin The writer of this wonderful article was obviously bored and decided to spice it up with some humour.
This is a brilliant masterpiece grin grin tongue

I dont know why the world have a problem of accepting we are the happiest people on planet earth. In some countries, that structure will make a lot of people depressed, some will have to take anti-depressants while others will go to rehab. But see as we dey laff like obj here! I dey laff o. Lolll.
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by Nobody: 4:34am On Jan 06, 2011
spyder880:

I dont know why the world have a problem of accepting we are the happiest people on planet earth. In some countries, that structure will make a lot of people depressed, some will have to take anti-depressants while others will go to rehab. But see as we dey laff like obj here! I dey laff o. Lolll.
You sir on point sir. infact your next beer is on me. wink Despite our  many problems as a nation we still have a cause to smile,If those western countries were going through half of our problems, many citizens would have commited suicide grin grin grin
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by otokx(m): 5:07am On Jan 06, 2011
The thing that swallowed the thing that swallowed the elephant.
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by Pifa: 5:10am On Jan 06, 2011
Legally, the tax levy may be treading on “dangerous” grounds because it is difficult to argue for state-sanctioned architectural vanity in court. I suspect that the tax penalty would not survive constitutional challenge. Who defines beauty and who defines what constitutes aesthetic blight? Should “unattractive” people be considered a public nuisance? Should we confine such folks to their homes so they would not “injure” our eyes, if they come out in public? It is one thing to legislate community standards on public nuisance such as street prostitution, public hygiene or panhandling, but legislation based on subjective view of beauty?

Suppose I tell you that I find some African art to be shockingly ugly because they over-exaggerate African features and tend to invoke images of horror. Should the state legislate against displaying them in public? Suppose the building owner had placed such a piece of art in front of his house. Would the state deem it not to its aesthetic standard?

I don’t know if newspapers in Nigeria have architectural critics on staff, but this is their domain: to critique buildings on their architectural significance, aesthetics, pedigree, functionality and latterly, “green” imprimatur. It should never be the place of the state to dictate to us what is beautiful.

This ordinance stinks.

Post script: If the knock against the building were related to safety (the elephant structure could break from its anchor and come crashing down on people’s heads), that might be a legitimate concern of the state.
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by spyder880(m): 5:18am On Jan 06, 2011
Pifa:

Legally, the tax levy may be treading on “dangerous” grounds because it is difficult to argue for state-sanctioned architectural vanity in court. I suspect that the tax penalty would not survive constitutional challenge. Who defines beauty and who defines what constitutes aesthetic blight? Should “unattractive” people be considered a public nuisance? Should we confine such folks to their homes so they would not “injure” our eyes, if they come out in public? It is one thing to legislate community standards on public nuisance such as street prostitution, public hygiene or panhandling, but legislation based on subjective view of beauty?

Suppose I tell you that I find some African art to be shockingly ugly because they over-exaggerate African features and tend to invoke images of horror. Should the state legislate against displaying them in public? Suppose the building owner had placed such a piece of art in front of his house. Would the state deem it not to its aesthetic standard?

I don’t know if newspapers in Nigeria have architectural critics on staff, but this is their domain: to critique buildings on their architectural significance, aesthetics, pedigree, functionality and latterly, “green” imprimatur. It should never be the place of the state to dictate to us what is beautiful.

This ordinance stinks.

Post script: If the knock against the building were related to safety (the elephant structure could break from its anchor and come crashing down on people’s heads), that might be a legitimate concern of the state.

@pifa the lawyer, can you define satire?
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by Pifa: 5:24am On Jan 06, 2011
spyder880:

@pifa the lawyer, can you define satire?

I assume babpupa was serious in his post. He hardly jokes about anything concerning Lagos State.
Re: Lagos State Introduces Ugly Building Tax (pic of the ugliest bld) by bkbabe97y(m): 6:00am On Jan 06, 2011
definitely built by some Ibo dude!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

N100m Donation: Falana Calls For Sanction Against Sanusi / Fuel Subsidy: Sahara Energy’s Tope Sonubi And Tonye Cole On The Run / Ali Ndume: Nigerian Army Lacks Modern Equipment Required To Fight Terrorism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.