Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,939 members, 7,952,780 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:30 AM

Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? (683 Views)

Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? / Is Easter Celebration For Christians? / What Is Easter Monday? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? by Janosky: 11:54am On Apr 12, 2020
OUR READERS ASK . . .

Is Easter Really a Christian Celebration ?

Easter is described in the Encyclopædia Britannica as the “principal festival of the Christian church that celebrates the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.” However, is it a Christian celebration?

To establish the authenticity of an artifact, attention to detail is critical. Similarly, for us to see whether Easter is a Christian celebration, it is essential that we take a look at the details related to Easter.

First of all, Jesus asked his followers to commemorate, not his resurrection, but his death. The apostle Paul called this occasion “the Lord’s Evening Meal.”—1 Corinthians 11:20; Luke 22:19, 20.

Easter bunnies, chicks, and eggs
Additionally, many of the Easter traditions “have little to do” with Jesus’ resurrection, states the Britannica, “but derive from folk customs.” For instance, regarding the popular Easter symbols the egg and the rabbit, The Encyclopedia of Religion says: “The egg symbolizes new life breaking through the apparent death (hardness) of the eggshell.” It adds: “The rabbit was known as an extraordinarily fertile creature, and hence it symbolized the coming of spring.”

Philippe Walter, a professor of medieval literature, explains how such customs became part of the Easter celebration. He wrote that “in the process of the Christianization of pagan religions,” it was easy to associate the pagan festival that celebrated “the passage from the death of winter to the life of springtime” with Jesus’ resurrection. Walter adds that it was a key step in introducing “Christian commemorations” to the pagan calendar, thus smoothing the way to mass conversion.

This process of “Christianization” did not occur while the apostles were still alive, because they acted as a “restraint” against paganism. (2 Thessalonians 2:7) The apostle Paul warned that after his “going away,” men would “rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves.” (Acts 20:29, 30) And late in the first century, the apostle John wrote that some men were already misleading Christians. (1 John 2:18, 26) The way was open for the eventual adoption of pagan customs.

“Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers.”—2 Corinthians 6:14

Some may feel, however, that allowing some of the Easter customs was not wrong—that it gave “pagans” a better understanding of the meaning of Jesus’ resurrection. Paul, however, would never have agreed. Although exposed to many pagan customs while traveling through the Roman Empire, he never adopted any of them to give people a better understanding of Jesus. On the contrary, he warned the Christians: “Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? ‘Therefore, get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing.’”—2 Corinthians 6:14, 17.

What is the result of our brief examination of the details? It has clearly revealed that Easter is not a Christian celebration"

Source:jw.org[b][/b]
Re: Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? by Janosky: 11:58am On Apr 12, 2020
The Bible’s answer
The celebration of Easter is not based on the Bible. If you look into its history, though, you will see the true meaning of Easter—it is a tradition based on ancient fertility rites. Consider the following.

Name: The Encyclopædia Britannica says: “The English name Easter is of uncertain origin; the Anglo-Saxon priest Venerable Bede in the 8th century derived it from the Anglo-Saxon spring goddess Eostre.” Others link it to Astarte, the Phoenician fertility goddess who had the Babylonian counterpart Ishtar.

Hares, rabbits: These are symbols of fertility “handed down from the ancient ceremonial and symbolism of European and Middle Eastern pagan spring festivals.”​—Encyclopædia Britannica.

Eggs: According to Funk & Wagnalls Standard Dictionary of Folklore, Mythology and Legend, the hunt for Easter eggs, supposedly brought by the Easter rabbit, “is not mere child’s play, but the vestige of a fertility rite.” Some cultures believed that the decorated Easter egg “could magically bring happiness, prosperity, health, and protection.”—Traditional Festivals.

New Easter outfit: “It was considered discourteous and therefore bad luck to greet the Scandinavian goddess of Spring, or Eastre, in anything but fresh garb.”—The Giant Book of Superstitions.

Sunrise services: These have been linked to rites of ancient sun worshippers “performed at the vernal equinox welcoming the sun and its great power to bring new life to all growing things.”—Celebrations—The Complete Book of American Holidays.

The American Book of Days well describes the origin of Easter: “There is no doubt that the Church in its early days adopted the old pagan customs and gave a Christian meaning to them.”

The Bible warns against worshipping God by following traditions or customs that displease him. (Mark 7:6-cool Second Corinthians 6:17 states: “‘Separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing.’” Easter is a pagan holiday that those who want to please God will avoid."

SOURCE: jw.org
Re: Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? by Janosky: 6:42pm On Apr 07, 2021
Easter is a pagan festivity,in the same league with Christmas celebration.
Unbiblical.
Re: Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? by budaatum: 8:13pm On Apr 07, 2021
Janosky:

Is Easter Really a Christian Celebration ?

No. Easter is not really a celebration at all, but a learning process that transforms one.

Easter is the culmination of forty days of fasting during which one is meant to reflect on the life of Jesus so Christ resurrects inside one and the Kingdom of God is discovered.
Re: Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? by haddeylium(m): 8:58pm On Apr 07, 2021
budaatum:

No. Easter is not really a celebration at all, but a learning process that transforms one.

Easter is the culmination of forty days of fasting during which one is meant to reflect on the life of Jesus so Christ resurrects inside one and the Kingdom of God is discovered.

Now, can you explain what Rabbit and egg have to do with Christ resurrection?
Re: Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? by budaatum: 9:04pm On Apr 07, 2021
haddeylium:

Now, can you explain what Rabbit and egg have to do with Christ resurrection?

No, not really since I never mentioned "rabbit and egg".

Can you "explain what Rabbit and egg have to do with Christ resurrection" to me please since you have connected the two?
Re: Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? by haddeylium(m): 9:08pm On Apr 07, 2021
budaatum:

No, not really since I never mentioned "rabbit and egg".

Can you "explain what Rabbit and egg have to do with Christ resurrection" to me please since you have connected the two?

Since we're talking about Easter.
We should talk about the symbols they represent it with and what the symbolize.
Rabbit and Eggs...
Have you ever wonder about what it has to do with Christ resurrection?
Re: Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? by budaatum: 9:13pm On Apr 07, 2021
haddeylium:

Since we're talking about Easter.
We should talk about the symbols they represent it with and what the symbolize.
Rabbit and Eggs...
Have you ever wonder about what it has to do with Christ resurrection?

You say "we" should talk about it, so why don't you talk about it first please since it is you who brought up Rabbit and eggs?

I am interested to hear you, I promise.
Re: Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? by haddeylium(m): 9:44pm On Apr 07, 2021
budaatum:

You say "we" should talk about it, so why don't you talk about it first please since it is you who brought up Rabbit and eggs?

I am interested to hear you, I promise.

Seems you don't know what the rabbit and eggs(Easter bunnies) symbolize but you're celebrating regardless since it was attached to Christ.
Good one!
You might want to begin your Research with 'Eostre' -
You can quote me after then!...I helped with a step
Re: Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? by budaatum: 9:51pm On Apr 07, 2021
haddeylium:

Seems you don't know what the rabbit and eggs(Easter bunnies) symbolize but you're celebrating regardless since it was attached to Christ.
Good one!
You might want to begin your Research with 'Eostre' -
You can quote me after then!...I helped with a step

Seems you can't bother to read!

budaatum:

When you can read, kindly explain or at least post a link about the rabbit and eggs that fixate you. I'll be most grateful.
Re: Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? by haddeylium(m): 10:42pm On Apr 07, 2021
budaatum:

Seems you can't bother to read!

When you can read, kindly explain or at least post a link about the rabbit and eggs that fixate you. I'll be most grateful.
How does a pagan festivities transformed one?
I helped you with the key word. Go through the OP comment again
Re: Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? by budaatum: 11:02pm On Apr 07, 2021
haddeylium:

How does a pagan festivities transformed one?
I helped you with the key word. Go through the OP comment again

The op's comment is not gospel so I don't see why I should go through it again since I discarded his view as due to limited understanding in my very first post. That is not to say mine is gospel either though, do note. You, though, are focused on the rabbits and the eggs, mere teaching tools from traditions and customs and festivities, and would want me to concentrate on the finger and ignore the moon as you do.

Dig deeper here for instance, and see past rabbits and eggs. Then wonder why such ancient traditions survive through the different Gods.

As for how, there's an Easter next year. Remind me and we can explore the process together since two minds are much better than one.

Ramadan starts Monday so we might try that too to fully dispel ourselves of ignorance in the meantime.

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? by Janosky: 11:32pm On Apr 07, 2021
budaatum:

Is that how Christendom Churchpreneurs and Pastorpreneurs view Easter?

Not at all !

Christendom's Easter celebrations is Exodus 32:1-7 in repeat mode.
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? by haddeylium(m): 11:33pm On Apr 07, 2021
budaatum:

The op's comment is not gospel so I don't see why I should go through it again since I discarded his view as due to limited understanding in my very first post. That is not to say mine is gospel either though, do note. You, though, are focused on the rabbits and the eggs, mere teaching tools from traditions and customs and festivities, and would want me to concentrate on the finger and ignore the moon as you do.

Dig deeper here for instance, and see past rabbits and eggs. Then wonder why such ancient traditions survive through the different Gods.

As for how, there's an Easter next year. Remind me and we can explore the process together since two minds are much better than one.

Ramadan starts Monday so we might try that too to fully dispel ourselves of ignorance in the meantime.
Good that you've researching yourself.
Now, does Easter has pagan root or not?
Re: Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? by budaatum: 11:41pm On Apr 07, 2021
haddeylium:

Good that you've researching yourself.
Now, does Easter has pagan root or not?

If you do your research, you'd know all religions evolved out of paganism, but that's beside the point.

Easter has pagan roots for some and not for some others. Christianity (Judaism, in fact, which evolved out of Egypt) has a tradition of cutting off the past and starting afresh as we learn from the emergence of Christ, and not all take their Easter that far back though they should if they want to fully understand its transformative message instead of focusing on eggs and rabbits.

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? by budaatum: 11:44pm On Apr 07, 2021
Janosky:

Is that how Christendom Churchpreneurs and Pastorpreneurs view Easter?

Do please note that buda can only give you buda's view.

1 Like

Re: Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? by haddeylium(m): 12:37am On Apr 08, 2021
budaatum:

If you do your research, you'd know all religions evolved out of paganism, but that's beside the point
'All False religions evolved out of paganism'
Took care of that for you

Easter has pagan roots for some and not for some others. Christianity (Judaism, in fact, which evolved out of Egypt) has a tradition of cutting off the past and starting afresh as we learn from the emergence of Christ, and not all take their Easter that far back though they should if they want to fully understand its transformative message instead of focusing on eggs and rabbits.
I like that you admit that Easter has a pagan roots. So, genuine Christains understand the message in - 2 Corinthians 6:17. ”; quit touching the unclean thing’.
So, it's left to you. You can adopt pagan celebration and change the name cheesy
Re: Is Easter Really A Christian Celebration? by budaatum: 12:56am On Apr 08, 2021
haddeylium:

'All False religions evolved out of paganism'
Took care of that for you

I like that you admit that Easter has a pagan roots. So, genuine Christains understand the message in - 2 Corinthians 6:17. ”; quit touching the unclean thing’.
So, it's left to you. You can adopt pagan celebration and change the name cheesy

All religions have pagan roots, so the only change you can make is to claim all religions are false, in which case one would ask you to define religion so we can explore what is false about religions

Christianity has pagan roots in pagan Judaism that got its pagan roots out of pagan Egypt, and if it didn't have such a pedigree, I personally would not bother with it.

P.s. It is unclean for Christians to claim they are holier than thou, and there is nothing genuine about such people as far as Christ is concerned, since they can not even love their neighbours.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Spells To Win Spiritual Attack Or Wars For Success With 3 Cotyledon Kolanut / My Body Is Your Sanctuary / Shocking Statement From Pastor Alph Lukau About Archbishop Idahosa And Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.