Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,100 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:11 AM

Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? (687 Views)

Christmas Was An Illegal Pagan Holiday In The US Until 1836. / Don't Let Anyone Lie To You That Christmas Is A Pagan Festival / Daddy Freeze: Celebrating Christmas, Is Celebrating A Pagan God's Birthday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Acehart: 10:04am On Apr 06, 2021
Is Easter a Pagan Holiday?

There is a growing number of Christians who think that the celebration of “Easter” is rooted in pagan traditions. One of the basic assumptions is that the name “Easter” is a Christian appropriation of “Ishtar,” a Babylonian fertility goddess. Even though the words may sound similar, they probably have no etymological connection. The English word “Easter” likely comes from the Proto-Germanic “austron,” which means “sunrise” – arguably a fitting name for a celebration that commemorates Jesus’ rising from the dead.

It is important to understand that outside of the English-speaking world, “Easter” is known by its proper name “Pascha.” This means that the majority of Christians in the world celebrate “Pascha” — an Aramaic synonym of the Hebrew Pesach, which means “Passover,” rather than “Easter.”

During this feast, traditional Christians celebrate the work of Christ’s redemption, believing that only in His resurrection is God’s forgiveness truly sealed. Because of Jesus’ resurrection, the judgment of God passes over believers just as the Angel of Death passed over the Israelite homes marked by the blood of the lamb during their captivity in Egypt.

However, an average, English-speaking Christian often fails to see the direct connection between “Easter/Pascha” and “Passover/Pesach.” Many of the rituals and customs appear to be different. Also, in order to ensure that no one connected (and therefore confused) the two, it was decided at the Council of Nicea (325 CE) that the feast of Easter/Pascha would be celebrated according to a different calendar: not on the 14th of Nisan as was originally decreed in the Torah of Moses.

Is Easter a Pagan holiday? Not quite. It is fundamentally a biblical holiday, albeit one that has been robbed of its true Jewish character and taken out of its original Israelite setting.

By Dr. Eli Lizorkin-Eyzenberg - April 4, 2021

1 Like

Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Hashabiah: 10:20am On Apr 06, 2021
I wonder why many JWs see the celebration of the death and resurrection of Jesus as non-christian. Is it that they choose to be ignorant of the purpose of the celebration or they do it out of just wanting to identify with cult-like belief of Charles Russell Taze?
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by MaxInDHouse(m): 11:19am On Apr 06, 2021
How long will you continue to limp on two contradicting opinions? James 4:8
If JWs are the true Christians follow and worship their God with them, if not then ignore them completely! 1Kings 18:21
Google the origin of this so called Easter celebration and decide for yourself. All Jehovah's Witnesses not many abhor pagan customs!
The link is

'Easter, Ishtar, Ashtarte and other evil traditions - Bible truth cc'

Hashabiah:

I wonder why many JWs see the celebration of the death and resurrection of Jesus as non-christian. Is it that they choose to be ignorant of the purpose of the celebration or they do it out of just wanting to identify with cult-like belief of Charles Russell Taze?

1 Like

Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Acehart: 11:38am On Apr 06, 2021
Hashabiah:

Hi,

I don’t know if the JW have an apathy towards this Biblical Sabbath (Holiday), but I can say for certain that many (orthodox and non-orthodox) Christians in Nigeria have believed many commentators who say it’s a pagan traditional holiday.

I dare say that they are more dangerous cult-like following that exist today in the Nigerian Church that you should be worried about; I have heard someone say: “if Jesus says something and my pastor says something different, I’ll believe my pastor”.

These are more dangerous lairs than the ones you know. Let’s Christ be our message and slowly but surely, heresies will be done away with.
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Hashabiah: 12:46pm On Apr 06, 2021
[s]
MaxInDHouse:
How long will you continue to limp on two contradicting opinions? James 4:8
If JWs are the true Christians follow and worship their God with them, if not then ignore them completely! 1Kings 18:21
Google the origin of this so called Easter celebration and decide for yourself. All Jehovah's Witnesses not many abhor pagan customs!
The link is

'Easter, Ishtar, Ashtarte and other evil traditions - Bible truth cc'

[/s] Stop deceiving yourself. JW are a group of self-proclaimed bible readers who says they follow the dictates of Christianity but this is not true and you and I know it. grin
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Kobojunkie: 3:27pm On Apr 06, 2021
Hashabiah:
I am not JW and I know Easter is not a CHRISTian celebration since there is no such thing. undecided

Basically Jesus Christ never declared any Holidays as far as His followers are concerned, not even a Sabbath day, so unless your interest lies in the doctrines of men wherw holidays are concerned, there is no such thing as a "CHRISTian" Holiday . undecided

That said, Jesus Christ did not restrict His followers , as individuals, against celebrating whatever and whenever they please. So long as it is not celebration done or declared to be in His name, He gave no commands against such. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Hashabiah: 4:04pm On Apr 06, 2021
[s]
Kobojunkie:
I am not JW and I know Easter is not a CHRISTian celebration since there is no such thing. undecided

Basically Jesus Christ never declared any Holidays as far as His followers are concerned, not even a Sabbath day, so unless your interest lies in the doctrines of men wherw holidays are concerned, there is no such thing as a "CHRISTian" Holiday . undecided

That said, Jesus Christ did not restrict His followers , as individuals, against celebrating whatever and whenever they please. So long as it is not celebration done or declared to be in His name, He gave no commands against such. undecided
[/s] Your post is always full of confusion and stupidity.

1 Like

Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Kobojunkie: 4:06pm On Apr 06, 2021
Hashabiah:
[s][/s] Your post is always full of confusion and stupidity.
ok
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by edoairways: 5:34pm On Apr 06, 2021
Hashabiah:
Don't mind those hypocrites with their fake bible. I stop listening to them when a friend of mine gave a detailed analysis of their bible. Replacing God with Jehovah
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Hashabiah: 7:07pm On Apr 06, 2021
edoairways:

Don't mind those hypocrites with their fake bible. I stop listening to them when a friend of mine gave a detailed analysis of their bible. Replacing God with Jehovah
Just imagine... Chai. I could remember that video you sent me. My God! It was explosive! A revelation of the highest order. I just can't wait to download it and share it with my friends.
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Image123(m): 7:14pm On Apr 06, 2021
Romans 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Hashabiah: 7:19pm On Apr 06, 2021
Image123:
Romans 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
God bless you for this!

1 Like

Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Acehart: 7:25pm On Apr 06, 2021
Image123:

Beautiful verse. I was thinking of Colossians 2:16-18- No one should play judge on how anyone observes a (holy)day. Thankfully, through Christ we don’t have to follow the roll of rituals associated with the sabbath days; and through Him, we can celebrate that the substance has emerged and the joy of His accomplishment.

1 Like

Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by haddeylium(m): 7:32pm On Apr 06, 2021
edoairways:

No offense mister.
Sadly, your friend is as blind as you're.
The name 'Jehovah' is Almighty God's personal name and it appears more that 7,000 in the Bible.
It was replaced with the title 'LORD' (in capital letters) in KJV and other Bible Translations. This has made it difficult for people to differentiate which. (Check your Bible glossary)
Many English Bible Translations retains God's personal name.
Tyndale Bible, Geneva Bible,The Holy Bible, English Revised Version, Byginton, American revised standard and many others.

Enlighten your friend too
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:51pm On Apr 06, 2021
Fine!
So keep it up! smiley

Hashabiah:
[s][/s] Stop deceiving yourself. JW are a group of self-proclaimed bible readers who says they follow the dictates of Christianity but this is not true and you and I know it. grin
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Kobojunkie: 9:07pm On Apr 06, 2021
Acehart:

Is Easter a Pagan holiday? Not quite. It is fundamentally a biblical holiday, albeit one that has been robbed of its true Jewish character and taken out of its original Israelite setting.

By Dr. Eli Lizorkin-Eyzenberg - April 4, 2021
To the Christian who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ, and who is not called to the following of Jewish ways, Easter is not a CHRISTian holiday. undecided
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by edoairways: 9:35pm On Apr 06, 2021
haddeylium:

No offense mister.
Sadly, your friend is as blind as you're.
The name 'Jehovah' is Almighty God's personal name and it appears more that 7,000 in the Bible.
It was replaced with the title 'LORD' (in capital letters) in KJV and other Bible Translations. This has made it difficult for people to differentiate which. (Check your Bible glossary)
Many English Bible Translations retains God's personal name.
Tyndale Bible, Geneva Bible,The Holy Bible, English Revised Version, Byginton, American revised standard and many others.

Enlighten your friend too

It was replaced Mr.
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Acehart: 10:39am On Apr 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
To the Christian who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ, and who is not called to the following of Jewish ways, Easter is not a CHRISTian holiday. undecided

Make your defense using the scriptures. Prove beyond reasonable doubt that you have said the truth.
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Kobojunkie: 1:45pm On Apr 07, 2021
Acehart:

Make your defense using the scriptures. Prove beyond reasonable doubt that you have said the truth.
Jesus Christ, the New Covenant, prescribed no Holidays or special days for His followers, not even those found as part of the Old Covenant. The one ritual He commanded(Last supper), He did not set apart a day or time or even frequency for.

Mark 7 vs 1-13 (ERV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Now when the Pharisees gathered to him, with some of the scribes who had come from Jerusalem,
2. they saw that some of his disciples ate with hands that were defiled, that is, unwashed.
3. (For the Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they wash their hands properly,[a] holding to the tradition of the elders,
4. and when they come from the marketplace, they do not eat unless they wash. And there are many other traditions that they observe, such as the washing of cups and pots and copper vessels and dining couches.[c])
[b] 5.
And the Pharisees and the scribes asked him, “Why do your disciples not walk according to the tradition of the elders, but eat with defiled hands?”
6. And he said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written,
“‘This people honors me with their lips,
but their heart is far from me;

7. in vain do they worship me,
teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’

8. You leave the commandment of God and hold to the (doctrines and rules)** tradition of men.”
9. And he said to them, “You have a fine way of rejecting the commandment of God in order to establish your tradition!
10. For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.’
11. But you say, ‘If a man tells his father or his mother, “Whatever you would have gained from me is Corban”’ (that is, given to God)[d]—
12. then you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or mother,
13. thus making void the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And many such things you do.”
** substituted from another Bible translation for better understanding of what is impacted

He did command His followers against modifying the New Covenant law in way or form. proclaiming a thing that is not of Him to be so hence a sin against God. undecided
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Acehart: 2:41pm On Apr 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:

Jesus Christ, the New Covenant, prescribed no Holidays or special days for His followers, not even those found as part of the Old Covenant. The one ritual He commanded(Last supper), He did not set apart a day or time or even frequency for.

** substituted from another Bible translation for better understanding of what is impacted

He did command His followers against modifying the New Covenant law in way or form. proclaiming a thing that is not of Him to be so hence a sin against God. undecided

An assignment for you: List the traditions mentioned in your reference text.
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Kobojunkie: 2:45pm On Apr 07, 2021
Acehart:

An assignment for you: List the traditions mentioned in your reference text.
Again...
Kobojunkie:

Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Acehart: 2:47pm On Apr 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Again...

Well... perhaps you have a log in your eye. Remove it, and list the traditions mentioned in your reference text.
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Kobojunkie: 2:55pm On Apr 07, 2021
Acehart:

Well... perhaps you have a log in your eye. Remove it, and list the traditions mentioned in your reference text.
Stop trying to deviate from the issue. If you have scriptural evidence for this CHRISTian holiday, go ahead with it. undecided
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Acehart: 3:21pm On Apr 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Stop trying to deviate from the issue. If you have scriptural evidence for this CHRISTian holiday, go ahead with it. undecided

Ring around the rosie. Pocket full of posies. Ashes, ashes, we all fall down!
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Kobojunkie: 3:27pm On Apr 07, 2021
Acehart:

Ring around the rosie. Pocket full of posies. Ashes, ashes, we all fall down!
I take that to mean that you do agree that Easter is a Pagan holiday considering it has not to do with that which Jesus Christ, the New Covenant, has given His followers. smiley

That said, we are, as individuals, free to celebrate and enjoy on even this Holiday, but not drag His name into it as if to suggest it is a part of His New Covenant, or of His Kingdom. undecided
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by haddeylium(m): 4:46pm On Apr 07, 2021
edoairways:

It was replaced Mr.

That's what your friend said.
Now, pick your Bible and confirm what is here.
Then, you can enlighten your friend
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by sonmvayina(m): 5:16pm On Apr 07, 2021
Easter is derived from ishtar, the goddess of love and war. She is lucifer, also known as inanna, aphrodite, venus, kali and mary the mother of jesus..

Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Acehart: 5:36pm On Apr 07, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I take that to mean that you do agree that Easter is a Pagan holiday considering it has not to do with that which Jesus Christ, the New Covenant, has given His followers. smiley

That said, we are, as individuals, free to celebrate and enjoy on even this Holiday, but not drag His name into it as if to suggest it is a part of His New Covenant, or of His Kingdom. undecided

If you had the Spirit of God, you would have known what I meant.

1 Like

Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Kobojunkie: 5:47pm On Apr 07, 2021
Acehart:

If you had the Spirit of God, you would have known what I meant.
Really? undecided
I didn't know that one of the gifts of the Spirit was an ability to read the minds of others. undecided
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by edoairways: 6:06pm On Apr 07, 2021
haddeylium:

That's what your friend said.
Now, pick your Bible and confirm what is here.
Then, you can enlighten your friend
I confirmed them before he posted that video years back
Re: Is Easter A Pagan Holiday? by Janosky: 6:22pm On Apr 07, 2021
edoairways:

Mumu post.

Study the "Preface" section of your Bible.
In both the old and new testaments, your own Bible capitalize "the LORD" everywhere the Tetragrammaton was removed from your Bible.

Your delusion is luminous grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

“Pray For YouTube!” - TB Joshua Officially Reacts To Emmanuel TV Ban! / The Church Is The Solution To The Insecurity Challenge In The Country / Similarities Between Jesus’s Messages And Those Of Einstein And Newton

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.