Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,127 members, 7,818,379 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). (3400 Views)

Which Is This Car Ac Is Good For Avalon 2014 / Why Does My Car Overheats When AC Is Switched On? / My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by fineboynl(m): 11:26am On Apr 13, 2020
my regrets is to buy a used AC. I bought a used LG split AC. during the installation the technician said there is shortage of gas in it and I will need to top it.

that was when the panic started. because I have leant that sound working AC or fridge shouldn't lose gas for it epic life time. it's only when worn out or retiring that gas will be top because of holes.

what can I do since I already bought it. I complain all this to the man but he told me I can swap it for a new one. but I do not have the money and even if I do there are so many issue on ground that needed attention. so I just told him when I have the resources I will come and swap it.

after we top the gas. it lose gas again. I called the technician and explain the problem currently he was talking about shortage of gas and refill. but I cut it from him that why would the AC be losing gas. that's means there is a leak. if a leak should be manageable that should be at least refilling it once in two years or a year minimum. not within 2 months.

I told him the leak is my biggest problem. and I think there are more than a hole. it might also be that I injured the evaporator coil because there was a time I was struggling with it to pull out the fan blower for cleaning as it was dusty. but at the rate the gas leak there might be more that one hole. I'm just tired.

he said I shouldn't worry about the leak, as that one is not a problem, when they come they will do it and charged me 5k even without him inspecting it to know how bad the leak is, how are you going to do it. he said don't worry about that when they come they will fix it.

I want to know how he intend to do it because initially I thought they will pull it down and solder the leak after finding it. he doesn't sound like someone who want to bring down the split AC.

the 5k for fixing and refilling sound nice. but if only the problem of leak is solved and last like 2 years before I dump or swap the AC.

please I want to know the common way they fix leak in Nigeria. because I have been doing online search and found a temporal fix called refrigerant sealants of which they inject into the unit.

I need help please.

does anyone here knows how he intend to do it? because he refuse to tell me.

Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by Joevics(m): 11:32am On Apr 13, 2020
fineboynl:

There's a leak somewhere. But you can't do it yourself, and I doubt if sealants work.

The AC will serve you more if you take it to a technician to fix the leak.

What they usually do is to use foamed water to check all the pipes for leakages. They will then weld the leak and refill the gas.

And your AC will be back to new.

#Note: make it a habit to service your AC every three months, so it will last long.
Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by dawnomike(m): 11:38am On Apr 13, 2020
Joevics:

There's a leak somewhere. But you can't do it yourself, and I doubt if sealants work.

What they usually do is to use foamed water to check all the pipes for leakages. They will then weld the leak and refill the gas.

#Note: make it a habit to service your AC every three months, so it will last long.
I think you are right on this one
Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by fineboynl(m): 11:41am On Apr 13, 2020
Joevics:

that means they will bring it down as i stays up floor. and it might take days to fix. and the price might be high.

but this guy doesn't sound like someone who want to bring it down and solder it. he just said 5k and I should not worry. he will fix it. I am guessing 2.5k will take care of the gas refill. hence I'm scared
Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by fineboynl(m): 11:46am On Apr 13, 2020
dawnomike:
I think you are right on this one
if they will bring it down and solder it. won't the price goes up? do you think 5k is enough?
Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by dawnomike(m): 11:48am On Apr 13, 2020
fineboynl:
if they will bring it down and solder it. won't the price goes up? do you think 5k is enough?
In my own city where i reside, 5k should do... It depends on where you are. If you are in lagos, you will pay like 7 to 8k

1 Like

Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:48am On Apr 13, 2020
Cartalk.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by fineboynl(m): 11:49am On Apr 13, 2020
dawnomike:
In my own city where i reside, 5k should do... It depends on where you are. If you are in lagos, you will pay like 7 to 8k
for soldering and refilling?
Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by fineboynl(m): 12:53pm On Apr 13, 2020
Joevics:

when you said service every 3 months. what kind of service? because the outdoor unit is high up where hand cannot reach. or you mean the air filters
Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by Joevics(m): 1:54pm On Apr 13, 2020
fineboynl:
that means they will bring it down as i stays up floor. and it might take days to fix. and the price might be high.

but this guy doesn't sound like someone who want to bring it down and solder it. he just said 5k and I should not worry. he will fix it. I am guessing 2.5k will take care of the gas refill. hence I'm scared

He has to bring it down. That's the only way to identify and solder any leakages.

- If he doesn't solder it, you'll be in the same position in a few months time.

The place you live (upstairs or not) shouldn't affect the cost.

A small bottle of R24 gas was 1500 years ago, and a 1Hp AC might take 1andhalf.

5k is okay

1 Like

Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by Joevics(m): 1:59pm On Apr 13, 2020
fineboynl:
when you said service every 3 months. what kind of service? because the outdoor unit is high up where hand cannot reach. or you mean the air filters
Typically the have to loosen and clean the inside. They can use ladder to bring it down. From my experience, they don't charge extra fro those living upstairs.

Some might even wash it and couple it without bringing it down.
Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by fineboynl(m): 4:50pm On Apr 13, 2020
Joevics:

He has to bring it down. That's the only way to identify and solder any leakages.

- If he doesn't solder it, you'll be in the same position in a few months time.

The place you live (upstairs or not) shouldn't affect the cost.

A small bottle of R24 gas was 1500 years ago, and a 1Hp AC might take 1andhalf.

5k is okay

he came and went straight to the valves. there was oil at the valves and he use detergent water on it. he loose and clean. then use tape to round it and tightened it back, he use detergent to check it again. the thing didn't leak from there. so he said he is done.

I was like are you sure there are is no other leak? he said it's okay now. he filled it with gas without using the gauge. he was only using he heat the condenser is producing outside to know when it's okay. and his boy was inside feeling it from the indoor unit blower. as the AC was running.

I had to give me 4k he was holding ground until he collect it.

the AC is blowing cool now and my only fear is if the problem should repeat itself sooner or later. I just hope the problem is gone for good. otherwise it will be another waste of resources.

blowing chilling now.

Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by homeboy205: 6:45pm On Apr 13, 2020
He shouldn’t have tapped it, he should have welded it. That is the long lasting solution

fineboynl:

he came and went straight to the valves. there was oil at the valves and he use detergent water on it. he loose and clean. then use tape to round it and tightened it back, he use detergent to check it again. the thing didn't leak from there. so he said he is done.

I was like are you sure there are is no other leak? he said it's okay now. he filled it with gas without using the gauge. he was only using he heat the condenser is producing outside to know when it's okay. and his boy was inside feeling it from the indoor unit blower. as the AC was running.

I had to give me 4k he was holding ground until he collect it.

the AC is blowing cool now and my only fear is if the problem should repeat itself sooner or later. I just hope the problem is gone for good. otherwise it will be another waste of resources.

blowing chilling now.
Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by fineboynl(m): 6:58pm On Apr 13, 2020
homeboy205:
He shouldn’t have tapped it, he should have welded it. That is the long lasting solution

he just did an easy soft work. after everything I was like is that all? I was expecting him to bring down the AC. at least to remove the rap tape circling the suction and liquid line and check he other part that connect to the indoor unit but no he didn't check there. he just saw he oil on the valves. sure it was leaking from there. I use plumbing tape of around the screw area and screw tight to tighten it if you know what i mean...
Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by DonnyE(m): 10:32am On Apr 14, 2020
[quote author=fineboynl post=88391763][/quote]
Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by fineboynl(m): 10:27pm On Apr 18, 2020
it's doesn't chilled well again oh, barely 5-6 days. I started noticing it since yesterday.
Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by paix(m): 10:55pm On Apr 18, 2020
Joevics:

Is it WELDING or SOLDERING?
Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by mejai(m): 12:06am On Apr 19, 2020
Contact mosbus on nairaland grin
Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by Alkason: 6:59pm On Apr 19, 2020
fineboynl:
it's doesn't chilled well again oh, barely 5-6 days. I started noticing it since yesterday.

Get an experienced AC repairer to do it before you lose your AC compresaor. I can get someone for you after the lockdown.
Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by fineboynl(m): 9:01pm On Apr 19, 2020
Alkason:

Get an experienced AC repairer to do it before you lose your AC compresaor. I can get someone for you after the lockdown.
wait it look like the current problem is from the dirt's at the condenser coil. because from diagnosis the suction lines and liquid line doesn't freeze and there are no ice on coil.

now can knapsack backseat spray be able to wash the condenser coil? because it seems that's the only tool for now that can access where the outdoor unit is at the moment and conveniently. because the coil part is facing a wall.

bring it down from up is not an option for now.
Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by williams20(m): 12:54pm On Apr 20, 2020
So sorry to post here as I know this is car talk , I'm also having issues with my Panasonic split AC 1HP
I had issues with leakage after installation severally that I was refilling gas monthly
After a while someone recommended servicing the indoor unit panel and buying. Stabilizer , it worked for one day after than and since then it hasn't been responding , it cuts before the outdoor picks I'm tired
Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by fineboynl(m): 8:01pm On Apr 20, 2020
williams20:
So sorry to post here as I know this is car talk , I'm also having issues with my Panasonic split AC 1HP
I had issues with leakage after installation severally that I was refilling gas monthly
After a while someone recommended servicing the indoor unit panel and buying. Stabilizer , it worked for one day after than and since then it hasn't been responding , it cuts before the outdoor picks I'm tired
was it new when you bought it?

AC loosing gas has nothing to do with servicing or stabilizer. but a leak.

this your current problem sounds more like a compressor problem. the compressor is more like the AC itself because it cost much more close to a replacement.

in developed world they get a replacement and they do not replace compressor. AC would have reach it life span before a compressor issue. and the dust, bacterial, duct mites, mold, odor that Lodge inside can affect the purification and fresh air coming out from it.

low level gas stresses the compressor and if it's not from a good brand it will spoil the compressor.

you should get AC technician to diagnose it for you.

1 Like

Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by brighttech95(m): 10:29pm On Apr 20, 2020
williams20:

A technician should help troubleshoot to know the exact fault, but i think a pipe was bashed during installation the Technician didn't take notice of which is causing the leakage of the refrigerant and not the compressor like the user above stated.

1 Like

Re: Please Help My Split AC Is Losing Freon (gas). by AgentGoat: 10:42pm On Apr 20, 2020
You cannot afford AC for now.
Leave it till when you are boxed up to afford new one.

You are just disturbing yourself...

(1) (Reply)

Which Model Of 2002-2005 Toyota Highlander Is Better? / Before Installing An Automatic Gate Operator. / How Do I Remove Water Spots From The Windscreen & Other Glass Parts Of The Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.