Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,426 members, 7,819,551 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:59 PM

Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) (44176 Views)

Nigeria To Benefit Up to 700 Billion Dollars In Investment Cash if Bidens Wins / Tinubu Tells FG To Pay Relief Funds To Households Through BVN / Peter Obi: I Did Not Donate N1 Billion To COVID-19 Relief Fund (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by aminulive: 3:46pm On Apr 13, 2020
@POLITICSNIGERIA.COM

At a time when misinformation spreads like wildfire and fake news is being peddled daily, POLITICS NIGERIA, in its support for accountable media, has been fact-checking controversial claims capable of misleading the public.

CLAIM: A media report claimed that Nigeria’s finance minister, Zainab Ahmed announced that the government lost 700 billion Naira earmarked as COVID-19 Relief Funds to the fire outbreak that occurred at the Office of the Accountant-General in Abuja on Wednesday.

The report was posted by a news platform, Mystatenews, on Thursday evening.

https://mystatenews.com/700-billion-covid-19-relief-funds-to-agf-fire-outbreak-says-finance-minister/

Quoting the medium; “According to the finance minister, She said: We’re sorry about the incident occurred on Wednesday been 8th of April 2020, the government lost 700billion naira COVID-19 Relief Funds Due to the Fire outbreak, its caused a lot of damages in the office and we’re yet to investigate on what was the cause of the fire outbreak, I want to use this opportunity to appeal to the Nigerians most especially to the SouthEast and Southwest, government together we will help fight this virus,” The report stated.

The report has however generated varying comments on social media platforms and Websites.

VERIFICATION: Checks by POLITICS NIGERIA revealed that there are no records that Nigeria has received any 700 billion naira relief fund.

According to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), in its latest update, 19 billion Naira has been realised from the donations from the private sector. While it was true that fire gutted the Treasury House, the office of the Accountant-General of the Federation, on Wednesday, stated that there is no official report detailing any loss of funds to the inferno.

In fact, according to the spokesperson of the OAGF, Henshaw Ogubike, normal services and official business have been restored in the office of Accountant General of the Federation (OAGF) barely 24 hours after the fire accident.

Meanwhile, the ministry of finance debunked the claim, saying Mrs. Ahmed did not grant a press conference or any interviews.

“No funds were lost in the fire at the Accountant Generals Office which was contained to two rooms. Donations are under N30b to date. This is pure mischief & should be disregarded.” the ministry wrote on its official twitter handle.

https://twitter.com/FinMinNigeria/status/1248381996415377408

More so, Laolu Akande, the Senior Special Assistant to Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, labelled it fake news.

https://twitter.com/akandeoj/status/1248634556208611328

“Seems like a deluge of Fake News. First, Finance Minister DID NOT say anything like this below & addressed no such press conference. NA FAKE O!” He posted on social media.

VERDICT: The CLAIM that the Federal government lost 700billion naira COVID-19 Relief Funds to the fire outbreak is FALSE!

SOURCE: https://politicsnigeria.com/fact-check-did-fg-lose-n700bn-covid-19-relief-funds-to-fire-outbreak/

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by Mrcarrott(m): 4:00pm On Apr 13, 2020
Thats the most stupid stuff I ever heard

93 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by princemillla(m): 4:00pm On Apr 13, 2020
Sinzu buari Dey cash out real hot, if u see him bill him sharply

138 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by Cirilla(f): 4:00pm On Apr 13, 2020
Empty

9 Likes

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by mofeoluwadassah: 4:00pm On Apr 13, 2020
So where’s our relief funds

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by psychologist(m): 4:00pm On Apr 13, 2020
Yahoo Yahoo

Buhari don cash out grin

More often than not, I am always forced to believe that this covid19 case in Nigeria is just a medium for the elite to dip there hands into the state coffers....

Lesson learnt: whatever you do, go to school and be educated, just with a pen in your hands you can steal billions of naira without moving a feet

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by DontBullshitMe: 4:00pm On Apr 13, 2020
People who peddle fake news should be killed through well-trained firing squad.

People need to know that piece of information can be formed by anybody but reasoning must prevail in form of scrutiny which is the demand for CREDIBLE source which can be in form of a link to a REPUTABLE news outlet website.

But trust emotional Nigerians, once they hear something that subscribe or strengthens their initial personal belief - they throw reasoning out of the window.

Because Davido is obviously pro-PDP and anti-APC, he had already mocked the Nigerian Federal Government for mishandling his dad's donation leading to the misinformation of millions of his followers despite the unlimited resources in his disposal to verify.

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by Faber(m): 4:01pm On Apr 13, 2020
They lost ₦700 billion Covid19 funds to fire...and you think Covid19 is real in Nija

They will tell us they spent ₦45 billion for the welfare and logistics with regard to the Chinese doctors.

NCDC likely to spend ₦15 billion on text messages and Covid19 sensitization.

Thunder fire the day Nigeria was formed
Thunder fire the first day I woke up in Nigeria
Thunder fire Germany that deported me back to this hell
God bless The Dominion of Canada where I go soon run go

71 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by akilo1: 4:01pm On Apr 13, 2020
There were no fire when there were no donations, buhari mr intergrity i am not understanding

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by Alwaysachick: 4:01pm On Apr 13, 2020
No they didn't!!!!Was the cash in the office?

3 Likes

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by tolexy007(m): 4:01pm On Apr 13, 2020
audio lost

1 Like

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by datopaper(m): 4:01pm On Apr 13, 2020
By their fruit, you shall know them. With their name alone.

But we love it

1 Like

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by Mavrick2012: 4:01pm On Apr 13, 2020
Whatever!!!
One thing even an old day baby can confirm is: billions are currently being looted in the name of fighting kovik wan nigh

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by JohnnyPalmer: 4:01pm On Apr 13, 2020
So what happened to the relief funds?
Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by Guzel: 4:01pm On Apr 13, 2020
Was the fact check necessary?
Don’t tell me any reasonable person believed that

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by fulaniHERDSman(m): 4:01pm On Apr 13, 2020
shocked
Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by luvme0702: 4:01pm On Apr 13, 2020
Naija is a mess

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by passyhansome(m): 4:01pm On Apr 13, 2020
Many people thought that One Nigeria is not a myth because they have good vibes with people from other ethnicity.
I have friends in all the major ethnic groups and also from the minority but I can bodly tell you that one Nigeria is one big scam.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by swiperthefox: 4:01pm On Apr 13, 2020
Good to know.
Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by jerryunit48: 4:02pm On Apr 13, 2020
Nothing surprises Jerry anymore

3 Likes

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by Martinola(m): 4:02pm On Apr 13, 2020
Yeah, i knw weird and strange things happens in dis group (Nigeria) but losing 700b to fire oubreak?
i was never gonna believe that anyway

2 Likes

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by freshkpomo(m): 4:02pm On Apr 13, 2020
Bad followers become bad leaders, take a look at yourself, will you make a good leader tomorrow

God bless Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by georgeigbafen(m): 4:02pm On Apr 13, 2020
Clueless govt... Think d masses too are clueless.

2 Likes

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by Shanid(m): 4:02pm On Apr 13, 2020
Check SIGNATURE FOR HANDMADE MALE AND FEMALE FOOTWEARS AND LEATHER BELTS....#COBBLER WEY SABI#
Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by Kris4luv(m): 4:02pm On Apr 13, 2020
Welcome to Nigeria Where everything and anything is possible.....

1 Like

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by AbujaAgent: 4:03pm On Apr 13, 2020
If I where in good position to donate money in this country, I will simply buy items worth the amount I want to donate and give directly to the people I feel I should give it to. Giving to government who steals from the people is a very wrong decision.
Foolish people elect foolish leaders.
Use this period to acquire an online skill.
May God protect us

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by harmless011: 4:03pm On Apr 13, 2020
I dont think any right thinking individual could believe such story, do they donate the money as cash or through the bank.
There is no way somebody can keep a cash of 900 billion naira in a building.
But oga op kindly use your investigative skills to find out from the government what are their plan as per the donated money.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by sofiscatedmoron: 4:03pm On Apr 13, 2020
Apc has been deceiving Nigerians ,, but some zombies will always ignore the obvious facts

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did FG Lose ₦700 Billion COVID-19 Relief Funds To Fire Outbreak? (Fact-Check) by deepwater(f): 4:03pm On Apr 13, 2020
YES

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Swarm Of Bees Disrupt APC Rally In Kogi State / Video Of Tinubu Campaigning To Crash Fuel Price Goes Viral Amid Hike / Dino Melaye Poses In His Red Ferrari (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.