Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Osu Caste System - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Osu Caste System (999 Views)

My Sister Is About To Marry An Osu Man, About To Commit A Serious Taboo / Osu-Caste System Is Taking The Love Of My Life Away From Me. / 'Nigeria Shakira' Blasted For Promoting 'Half Caste Cream' By Dancing In Panties (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osu Caste System by Blankcard: 1:29pm On Apr 15, 2020
I've been with this man for a little over three years. Great relationship in most sense of the word. We were hopeful to spend our lives together.

Last year, I got some truth about my "identity" from my mother. She sat me down to lecture me on traditions when she asked questions about the man I was dating (I'll call him Steve).

Though we're both of Igbo origin, it seemed we're now of different worlds. She explained the Diala and Osu concepts and it became clearer that we've been tagged as "Osu". I didn't quite understand the gravity until I spoke to Steve. He said it was forbidden to marry an Osu in his village and his parents follow traditions. They believe there are curses attached as souvenir packages when they marry one. We cried together and became hopeful for an abolishment before we're ready to tie the knot.
"What do we do?" I had asked.
"We would cross the bridge when we get there".

We were too in love to let go.

Some trends lately signalled his family that he is getting ready to settle. They begin to ask questions and try to get more details to "investigate" me. The curses were sung to his ears and the importance of marrying a Diala stressed. There's no way in the world they would bless a union like that. He told me.

We lost our souls weeping. Never have I felt that hopeless. Not because of the tag but because I was about to lose out on someone who gives meaning and colour to my world. And we can't fight it, except we elope. What if we elope, what happens to our kids? Will they be constantly plaqued by our decision?

Someone said "it's tradition. It is like a marriage where the partners are of AS genotype".
Don't say that to me! AS marriages are of health reasons. Our case is man made. Our ancestors ate sour grapes and our teeth are now set on edge.
And we're Christians, new creation.

In this modern day and age, with all the enlightenment, religion and education we have, it is sad to know that some people hold on to beliefs that some people -of same tribe- are inferior. I may have lost out on being with someone who I deeply love but someone out there will have some hope. You're not inferior, you're not to be pitied!

It is worthy to note that this practice has been abolished in some parts of Igboland but the bitter truth remains, there's still a lot of segregation going on and I've witnessed it firsthand. This archaic, devilish and unreasonable practice has to end, people are robbed of true love and happiness because of this!

#EndOsuCasteSystem.
O.

P.s A new moniker was created to share this and I had to keep most thoughts regarding fighting for the relationship personal. This is an intentional act to only focus on the caste system.

Cc Rocktation, farano, ishilove, seun, lalasticlala, mynd44
Re: Osu Caste System by MightySparrow: 1:36pm On Apr 15, 2020
Aparthied in Biafra. Barbarism rules in the land of rising Sun. Afonjas caused it

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System by Blankcard: 1:38pm On Apr 15, 2020
MightySparrow:
Aparthied in Biafra. Afonja caused it

The sarcasm.

Sad reality.
Re: Osu Caste System by MightySparrow: 1:51pm On Apr 15, 2020
Blankcard:

The sarcasm.

Sad reality.
ON a serious note.
Racism is decried all the world over. When the blacks are discriminated against we all condemn it; now, this a sad case of blood relations. Will black race ever develop with a tradition borne out of crippled mind like this?
Re: Osu Caste System by samtinx(m): 1:54pm On Apr 15, 2020
grin If you think say your mama na born again Christian wait make you carry osu linage babe, come show her,na that time you go know say your mama na better traditional practioner grin

3 Likes

Re: Osu Caste System by Blankcard: 2:14pm On Apr 15, 2020
MightySparrow:

ON a serious note.
Racism is decried all the world over. When the blacks are discriminated against we all condemn it; now, this a sad case of blood relations. Will black race ever develop with a tradition borne out of crippled mind like this?

A large number of people on this table feel it is normal. None of this is normal! Sadly, not a large number will care because it doesn't affect them directly.
Re: Osu Caste System by Blankcard: 2:15pm On Apr 15, 2020
samtinx:
grin If you think say your mama na born again Christian wait make you carry osu linage babe, come show her,na that time you go know say your mama na better traditional practioner grin

Everything is for fun and laughs.
Re: Osu Caste System by illicit(m): 2:21pm On Apr 15, 2020
a classless or casteless society has never been achieved
Re: Osu Caste System by Unik3030: 2:29pm On Apr 15, 2020
the other day when a topic like this was discussed n many warned about d implications of marrying an OSU,some indomie generation children came here n were insulting everyone claiming "they are living in the past".

The reality is that there is a sharp difference between social Media n life itself.We all can come to social media n b saying shits all in the name of forming woke or civilised but there are some facts we have to face when we log out

Though it's still painful that this thing still exist in this time but at this point we all have to accept some bitter facts n learn to live with them till we finally find a solution to it
Re: Osu Caste System by Blankcard: 2:53pm On Apr 15, 2020
Unik3030:
the other day when a topic like this was discussed n many warned about d implications of marrying an OSU,some indomie generation children came here n were insulting everyone claiming "they are living in the past".

The reality is that there is a sharp difference between social Media n life itself.We all can come to social media n b saying shits all in the name of forming woke or civilised but there are some facts we have to face when we log out

Though it's still painful that this thing still exist in this time but at this point we all have to accept some bitter facts n learn to live with them till we finally find a solution to it

Could these implications be from the way people think? An attraction of evil because they believe in it?
Re: Osu Caste System by Breezzy(m): 3:13pm On Apr 15, 2020
Hmmmmm my dear you have a serious issue at hand, because even if your fiancé manage to convince his parents which I don't think that will be possible, there's no way he will convince his kindred. Sorry cry cry cry cry
Abum ezigbo nwa afo (son of the soil)
But pray with God all things are possible
Re: Osu Caste System by Unik3030: 3:14pm On Apr 15, 2020
Blankcard:

Could these implications be from the way people think? An attraction of evil because they believe in it?
No

That u don't believe something doesn't mean it can't affect u.Even if u don't believe in it ,it's definitely going to affect u cos it's more of traditional which is more than mere sight n besides d stigma n humans subconscious have registered it n may come back to hunt

1 Like

Re: Osu Caste System by MightySparrow: 3:19pm On Apr 15, 2020
Blankcard:

A large number of people on this table feel it is normal. None of this is normal! Sadly, not a large number will care because it doesn't affect them directly.
You see am so? if this same people brag about being voted into positions of high positions of responsibilty outside their domain home and abroad managing lives and properties and cannot marry within themselves. Is that not barbarism in this age and time?
Re: Osu Caste System by Bluezy13(m): 3:24pm On Apr 15, 2020
If you want to get married and you find a clause attached to your partner's life or family especially one relating to ancestry.

I'll simply advise you to walk away.
It would have been better you were not aware as at such the efficacy may not be too potent or never at all.
Proving stubborn is never worth it.
Re: Osu Caste System by Easybela(f): 3:25pm On Apr 15, 2020
I have a friend that married that way,she has a son now and till date,nothing happened to them. My people(kings and high personalities made this move) to set up a team that will arrest any parents that will not let their children get married because of this outcast issue, so I don't think there is anything wrong with.
Unik3030:

Re: Osu Caste System by MightySparrow: 3:28pm On Apr 15, 2020
illicit:
a classless or casteless society has never been achieved
You call barbarism class structure? Obama, a man from Kenya became president in the most powerful nation of the world Meghan Markle married to a prince of a one time slave master. What is your point?

2 Likes

Re: Osu Caste System by illicit(m): 3:31pm On Apr 15, 2020
MightySparrow:

You call barbarism class structure? Obama, a man from Kenya became president in the most powerful nation of the world Meghan Markle married to a prince of a one time slave master. What is your point?
if it's not class structure then what is it.
don't mistake y post for support or antagonism. it's neither.
I am just calling the situation what it is.
Even in America and Kenya that you mentioned and in Canada, there is segregation....
there is no society in the world that has no form of segregation. that's all am saying
Re: Osu Caste System by samtinx(m): 4:29pm On Apr 15, 2020
Blankcard:

Everything is for fun and laughs.
undecided undecided and I believe if you read through my lines, you would find something called "Reality"
Re: Osu Caste System by Nobody: 4:47pm On Apr 15, 2020
If I see an indispensable lady, I won't give a damn about osu or whatever it's called.

If you wan stop the marriage because she be osu, you need to chop enough foo foo before coming for the fight.

All these nonsense were happening because people focused more on what other people would say rather than what they wanted.

Tell me the implications of marrying an osu lady. Don't tell me I'll be deserted by my kinsmen because none of them even care or has ever truly cared since my dad passed on. It's only when the gates are open for events, they will come and be fighting for isi efi. Mad people sad
Re: Osu Caste System by Dyonne: 5:52pm On Apr 15, 2020
Well this is just sad.

I would go ahead if it were me but then maybe I'm just saying so because I'm not in that situation.

I still believe I'd go ahead. Family shouldn't interfere, they should limit themselves to advice and support whatever decision is taken by the couple.
Re: Osu Caste System by Phenomenal16(f): 5:57pm On Apr 15, 2020
My pastor's marriage is 10 years this year.....and he himself is an OSU
Yet they are waxing stronger each year plus very financially buoyant....
It depends on ur spouse........every marriage has its own up n downs ......
That thing should be closed... But I doubt if it will be closed
Re: Osu Caste System by Phenomenal16(f): 6:07pm On Apr 15, 2020
Blankcard:
I've been with this man for a little over three years. Great relationship in most sense of the word. We were hopeful to spend our lives together.

Last year, I got some truth about my "identity" from my mother. She sat me down to lecture me on traditions when she asked questions about the man I was dating (I'll call him Steve).

Though we're both of Igbo origin, it seemed we're now of different worlds. She explained the Diala and Osu concepts and it became clearer that we've been tagged as "Osu". I didn't quite understand the gravity until I spoke to Steve. He said it was forbidden to marry an Osu in his village and his parents follow traditions. They believe there are curses attached as souvenir packages when they marry one. We cried together and became hopeful for an abolishment before we're ready to tie the knot.
"What do we do?" I had asked.
"We would cross the bridge when we get there".

We were too in love to let go.

Some trends lately signalled his family that he is getting ready to settle. They begin to ask questions and try to get more details to "investigate" me. The curses were sung to his ears and the importance of marrying a Diala stressed. There's no way in the world they would bless a union like that. He told me.

We lost our souls weeping. Never have I felt that hopeless. Not because of the tag but because I was about to lose out on someone who gives meaning and colour to my world. And we can't fight it, except we elope. What if we elope, what happens to our kids? Will they be constantly plaqued by our decision?

Someone said "it's tradition. It is like a marriage where the partners are of AS genotype".
Don't say that to me! AS marriages are of health reasons. Our case is man made. Our ancestors ate sour grapes and our teeth are now set on edge.
And we're Christians, new creation.

In this modern day and age, with all the enlightenment, religion and education we have, it is sad to know that some people hold on to beliefs that some people -of same tribe- are inferior. I may have lost out on being with someone who I deeply love but someone out there will have some hope. You're not inferior, you're not to be pitied!

It is worthy to note that this practice has been abolished in some parts of Igboland but the bitter truth remains, there's still a lot of segregation going on and I've witnessed it firsthand. This archaic, devilish and unreasonable practice has to end, people are robbed of true love and happiness because of this!

#EndOsuCasteSystem.
O.

P.s A new moniker was created to share this and I had to keep most thoughts regarding fighting for the relationship personal. This is an intentional act to only focus on the caste system.

Cc Rocktation, farano, ishilove, seun, lalasticlala, mynd44
......is ur relationship built on God?
Re: Osu Caste System by Phenomenal16(f): 6:10pm On Apr 15, 2020
Do court marriage ......
Pray for his grace...is ur girl strong hearted?
Start planning for ur wedding....
Tell ur pastor.......these reasons is baseless ...even in my village they still do this thing
OSU and Amadi ...
Even though my dad said we r free born ..but I still hate this OSU of a thing with passion
Re: Osu Caste System by Rawhumper(m): 6:19pm On Apr 15, 2020
[

I concur....they for stil the throw twins and unwanted babies into evil forest abeg let them present their decision to their parents,its good to go with your parents blessings its very important in marriage

quote author=Phenomenal16 post=88479987]Do court marriage ......
Pray for his grace...is ur girl strong hearted?
Start planning for ur wedding....
Tell ur pastor.......these reasons is baseless ...even in my village they still do this thing
OSU and Amadi ...
Even though my dad said we r free born ..but I still hate this OSU of a thing with passion[/quote]
Re: Osu Caste System by Blankcard: 7:19pm On Apr 15, 2020
Dyonne:
Well this is just sad.

I would go ahead if it were me but then maybe I'm just saying so because I'm not in that situation.

I still believe I'd go ahead. Family shouldn't interfere, they should limit themselves to advice and support whatever decision is taken by the couple.

I hear it's not so easy. Imagine the whole family faced with being excommunicated.

It's just a lot of complexities. Little wonder it has eaten deep into the core of those who may want nothing to do with the practice.

The question is, how long will humanity endure this?
Re: Osu Caste System by Dyonne: 7:38pm On Apr 15, 2020
Blankcard:

I hear it's not so easy. Imagine the whole family faced with being excommunicated.

It's just a lot of complexities. Little wonder it has eaten deep into the core of those who may want nothing to do with the practice.

The question is, how long will humanity endure this?

I get it, I'm just saying that personally I think I would defy the norm.
It's my happiness at stake. They have lived their life, I have the right to live mine.

Edit: I just realized you're the OP.

I think a lot depends on the man in question. If you're willing, and he is brave enough you guys can "cut chain".
Don't force him or emotionally blackmail him into it. It has to be his decision so he realizes the implications and is ready for it.

I wish both of you the best of luck.
Re: Osu Caste System by Blankcard: 4:28pm On Apr 16, 2020
Dyonne:

I get it, I'm just saying that personally I think I would defy the norm.
It's my happiness at stake. They have lived their life, I have the right to live mine.

Edit: I just realized you're the OP.

I think a lot depends on the man in question. If you're willing, and he is brave enough you guys can "cut chain".
Don't force him or emotionally blackmail him into it. It has to be his decision so he realizes the implications and is ready for it.

I wish both of you the best of luck.

Thank you.
Re: Osu Caste System by DEBUCHMANNY: 5:21pm On Apr 16, 2020
I am greatly troubled by the osu/ohu/diala caste system in Igbo land. Its a shame that with all our christianity and education that such racism still thrives in Igbo land my community inclusive. I am ashamed. I understand your plights my sister
Re: Osu Caste System by Blankcard: 9:27am On Apr 17, 2020
Lalasticlala, seun, ishilove. Please front page.
More awareness has to be created on this, so the practice can be abolished.

However, I worry that even if it's abolished, the stigmatization will remain.
Re: Osu Caste System by kazyhm(m): 9:42am On Apr 17, 2020
Nigeria is a confuse state, not only on political ground but on religion infected culture

My shock was that of my pastor father in law insistence on doing all the traditional rites and follow his tribal tradition to the letter.....before our church wedding can take place.......and at same time....his church has a cumbersome doctrines and rules as well.

I just dey laff....the day he was motivating me about how he found Jesus and his blood washed his sins away.......traditionalist are evil.

The battle no be here.....even the daughter confuse
Re: Osu Caste System by 24kmagic: 9:46am On Apr 17, 2020
Inyamiri against inyamiri

To the topic.....

Till I die, I will always rate my culture and tradition above any religion. Have you ever wondered why traditional weddings are done before church/mosque weddings? It is simply because your culture comes first before your religion. The Christianity and Islam we practice today are some people's cultures. Why must we abandon our own for theirs? I don't know if I'm saying this because I happen to come from a place with a good culture but..... Culture first before any Jesus or Mohammed.

I'm in full support of the OSU system simply because it's culture. If we want it abolished, we should meet the traditional chiefs and all the patriarchs in all the igbo clans so that they can follow due process and abolish it. But until that happens, I'm a supporter of it (again, because it's culture).

Like one of the commenters above me said If you think that your mum is a born again Christian, bring someone from the OSU lineage and introduce to her. That's when you'll know that your mum is a core traditionalist.

We like running away from who we are all in a bid to live like the west. Why can't we live like the Asians?

I'm from the north by the way.
But culture is culture

#team_culture_over_religion.
Re: Osu Caste System by Blackfire(m): 11:09am On Apr 17, 2020
ERU / IWOFA caste system loading.....

There is a past and the scar that the yorubas never wants to talk about or simply ignore , it brought division , civil war ...yet the thought alone and the stigma remains, however codedly .
This ERU / IWOFA oppression make up the present day Ibadan in Oyo state, and other places..

Who are the ERUs and IWOFAs ...

ERU means slaves, this slaves can be owned by individuals,.and when they died some maybe buried along with there owner, another case study is that of the ABOBAKU ( must die with the king), the children of the ERUs are called OMO ERU

To be continue, if I am not ban.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I’m Experiencing Amniotic Fluid / South African Lady Drinks Sperm Says It Cures Corona 18+ / Am I Right Or Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.