Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,663 members, 7,809,507 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:41 AM

COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases (70318 Views)

COVID-19: 70 Percent Of Those Who Tested Positive Are Males- Ehanire / Coronavirus: Confirmed Cases In Nigeria Is 30, 3 New Cases In Lagos / Coronavirus: 4 New Cases In Lagos, Nigeria Confirmed By State Ministry Of Health (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by MainJoe: 10:28am On Apr 20, 2020
9jaRealist:

grin grin grin

Not even your darling Ghana is testing enough to “curtail the spread”...
Not even the world’s richest-ever country or other advanced countries - US, UK, France, Italy, Spain, etc.

Again, quit blathering on with your childish Strawman Argument...
Nobody is “celebrating” anything. My post merely noted that testing has been ramped-up, leading to a better picture.

PS: Again, if you insist on obdurately regurgitating childish drivel, then have it hoss. Sounds like you enjoy misery. SMH.
>

You can gladly confirm that other countries need to do more but you want me to celebrate us doing far worse than these countries. Please, I am not used to celebrating mediocrity.
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by 9jaRealist: 10:30am On Apr 20, 2020
Seenyo:
bullcrap!...if lawmakers are the first to break same laws, damn government!

Apparently, pic below are your “lawmakers” stuck on Third Mainland this morning... grin
I will continue to be brutally honest with Nigerians - the governed are just as lawless as the government.

iwaeda:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/11392520_img20200420093155_jpeg58474b9be2603778326e9f1d8bb5827a
>
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by 9jaRealist: 10:32am On Apr 20, 2020
MainJoe:

You can gladly confirm that other countries need to do more but you want me to celebrate us doing far worse than these countries. Please, I am not used to celebrating mediocrity.

Rather ironic, given the mediocrity of your Strawman Argument...
>
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by 9jaRealist: 10:37am On Apr 20, 2020
Seenyo:

bullcrap!...if lawmakers are the first to break same laws, damn government!

Here are apparently more lawmakers... grin grin grin

[img]https://3.bp..com/-QNsim9neomA/WOGqsqGppgI/AAAAAAAADCQ/IY6Uf5w5vl8p6s8YM0WOE0M4dP7EKtj7QCLcB/s1600/Don-t-Urinate-Here.jpg[/img]
>
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by MainJoe: 10:37am On Apr 20, 2020
9jaRealist:

Rather ironic, given the mediocrity of your Strawman Argument...
>

Ironic you can state that America that have tested over 2.5 million people are not testing enough but praise Nigeria for testing under 10,000 people. Like how do you justify such mediocrity.
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by Openbusiness: 10:40am On Apr 20, 2020
BreconHills:

Your indignation is laudable however it is not factual. The UCL infectious diseases centre in London is located in Gower street, bang in the middle of a very busy area of london frequented by tourists and university students. I know because I went to university there. Even if an infectious disease centre is located in sambisa, people still have to get there. No infectious disease centre can control what happens outside its gate, what they can control are the processes that minimize infection including pickup, testing admission processing, treatment, visitation ( almost zero) convalescence and discharge and post discharge care.

This drum you are beaten is broken but you will bang it anyway. Goodluck. Enjoy.
Oga Honorable BreconHills, Nigeria government is not as holistic and meticulous in the discharge of its duty. Maybe you don't know, Most Government civil service workers here ( I don't mean this as a personal insult to anyone, just a statement of fact) are a lazy bunch with a nonchalant attitude to their duty. They are only committed and passionate when it comes to collecting bribe before discharging their duty. You can't compare that with UK civil service system pls. For example, they said thrr is lockdown in Lagos, some aboki living in my area that travelled to Kano like 3 months ago are back in the community. How did they pass? And one thing is these people travel in Mass, then when they get to Lagos, they will disperse to their various areas while continuing to network. Like 10 just came back for my street. God knows how many hundreds or thousands have entered Lagos altogether from the North. Yet the government says there is lockdown. When the Chinese Lockdown Wuhan, nobody could get in and nobody could leave. See criminal gangs are roaming around in large groups terrorizing and robbing people under the same lockdown. Nigeria and UK no be the same oh.
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by Nobody: 10:41am On Apr 20, 2020
9jaRealist:

Here are apparently more lawmakers... grin grin grin

[img]https://3.bp..com/-QNsim9neomA/WOGqsqGppgI/AAAAAAAADCQ/IY6Uf5w5vl8p6s8YM0WOE0M4dP7EKtj7QCLcB/s1600/Don-t-Urinate-Here.jpg[/img]
>
spot on! they took after your damn irresponsible and lawless leaders!
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by joysparrow1(f): 11:03am On Apr 20, 2020
This is becoming for serious by the day
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by Nobody: 11:08am On Apr 20, 2020
pyyxxaro:

Your pikin papa naa imbeecile

With ur lizard face grin

You guys can insult sha grin

Which one is his pikin papa naa im-becile? Just tell him he is an im-becile grin

Nairaland cheesy

Ps- I hyphenated the im-becile as nairaland keeps changing it to slowpoke

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by 9jaRealist: 11:20am On Apr 20, 2020
MainJoe:
Ironic you can state that America that have tested over 2.5 million people are not testing enough but praise Nigeria for testing under 10,000 people. Like how do you justify such mediocrity.

So the US has successfully “curtailed the spread” of Covid-19...
It would be rather ironic if you have a comprehension issue since that would be mediocre. cheesy
>
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by Nobody: 11:25am On Apr 20, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Which right direction? With the very slow pace? Why did it take so long to set up centres? While other nations were equipping and testing, these guys were joking and sitting on it.

I am talking about the present that we are not testing enough. Not the past. We need to channel all resources to fight these virus. What the heck are they doing with the N15 Billion released by the Presidency for the tackle of Covid-19?
There is nothing slow about the pace abeg. The incubation period for the virus is 14 days, and if it had truly seeped into the Nigerian sphere to cause serious damage as our fears might want to have us project; the dense population and all, then, we should be having dead bodies scampered all over the place right now, so calm down, sit at home and sip tea.

However, as Lagos ramps up testing this week, I'm expecting scary figures. We might hit hundreds of thousands! (I hope not too). So yeah, testing testing testing, because undeniably, there is fire on the mountain. And, we have to know the size of the shit we are in, before cleaning up.
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by MainJoe: 11:32am On Apr 20, 2020
9jaRealist:

So the US has successfully “curtailed the spread” of Covid-19...
It would be rather ironic if you have a comprehension issue since that would be mediocre. cheesy
>

So you then what me to celebrate a performance 100 times worse. That is the definition of irony.
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by MainJoe: 11:33am On Apr 20, 2020
Ricchcream:
There is nothing slow about the pace abeg. The incubation period for the virus is 14 days, and if it had truly seeped into the Nigerian sphere to cause serious damage as our fears might want to have us project; the dense population and all, then, we should be having dead bodies scampered all over the place right now, so calm down, sit at home and sip tea.

However, as Lagos ramps up testing this week, I'm expecting scary figures. We might hit hundreds of thousands! (I hope not too). So yeah, testing testing testing, because undeniably, there is fire on the mountain. But, we have to know the size of the shit we are in, before cleaning up.

You agree that we need to know the magnitude by testing but feel having done about 10,000 after ramping up is a pacy response. How does that add up to you?
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by Nobody: 11:37am On Apr 20, 2020
MainJoe:

You agree that we need to know the magnitude by testing but feel having done about 10,000 after ramping up is a pacy response. How does that add up to you?
Lagos is ramping up testing this week. Let's wait and see. No need for paranoia.
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by MainJoe: 11:40am On Apr 20, 2020
Ricchcream:
Lagos is ramping up testing this week. Let's wait and see. No need for paranoia.

South Africa started mass testing March 31, 2020. Now do you see that we are too slow?
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by pyyxxaro: 11:41am On Apr 20, 2020
akinjojo1234:

You guys can insult sha grin

Which one is his pikin papa naa im-becile? Just tell him he is an im-becile grin

Nairaland cheesy

Ps- I hyphenated the im-becile as nairaland keeps changing it to slowpoke

cheesy
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by Nobody: 11:43am On Apr 20, 2020
MainJoe:

South Africa started mass testing March 31, 2020. Now do you see that we are too slow?
There is a curve to study before you begin to take actions. You dont just swing into baseless actions...
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by MainJoe: 11:46am On Apr 20, 2020
Ricchcream:
There is a curve to study before you begin to take actions. You dont just swing into baseless actions...

And how do you get the base to act?.......

By sample testing. Which until now we are doing at a very limited capacity.

There is no defence for mediocrity.
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by Nobody: 11:53am On Apr 20, 2020
MainJoe:

And how do you get the base to act?.......

By sample testing. Which until now we are doing at a very limited capacity.

There is no defence for mediocrity.
There is so much you can do with limited resources. I am not defending mediocrity, just saying it as it is.
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by bilulu(m): 12:07pm On Apr 20, 2020
redcliff:

Give it to them small small.. One week, 2 weeks, three week and so on...lol
Lolz... na so my brother.
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by AmTruth: 12:09pm On Apr 20, 2020
Testing comes as a result of available testing kit. And daily testing kit are increasing and available so expect higher result.

Even in USA at the earliest stage testing kit where not available every where but was later provided and testing increase. Nigeria don't produce testing kit but only import for now which will certainly take some time
Macsjebs:
Did NCDC even observe that a good number of Nigerians don't care about their daily update of cases again...Can they test 10% of Nigeria's total population...we are still watching in 3D, kontinue, e sha go end when other western countries own don begin end since it's what they do, we copy...as if presidential task force on covid-19 is what we need

Copy copy!!!
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by MainJoe: 12:11pm On Apr 20, 2020
Ricchcream:
There is so much you can do with limited resources. I am not defending mediocrity, just saying it as it is.

One of the things that can be done is sample testing in multiple locations and then calculate possible spreads and enforce mass testing at areas that shows the possibility of high spreads.

For Christ sake, the FG released N15 Billion. What are they doing with it?

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by MainJoe: 12:13pm On Apr 20, 2020
AmTruth:
Testing comes as a result of available testing kit. And daily testing kit are increasing and available so expect higher result.

Even in USA at the earliest stage testing kit where not available every where but was later provided and testing increase. Nigeria don't produce testing kit but only import for now which will certainly take some time

Then there should be a partnership with the Academia, Private sector and the FG on the possibility of generating testing kits here.

Action needs to take place. Not excuses.
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by Nobody: 12:22pm On Apr 20, 2020
MainJoe:

One of the things that can be done is sample testing in multiple locations and then calculate possible spreads and enforce mass testing at areas that shows the possibility of high spreads.

15 billion naira is still limited a resource, if you dont want to take a conservative approach to tackling the menace. New York released 40million dollars for it, despite having world class health facilities at the wake of the pandemic. South Africa with measly 58 million population, spends 8× more on health yearly in the past 5 years than Nigeria.

To me, this pandemic should be a wake up call, but you can't wake the dead. So, what to do? Just keep it at a lockdown, do your testing at your own pace and have plenty isolation spaces ready, just in case.
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by Nobody: 12:28pm On Apr 20, 2020
MainJoe:

We already know it's Lagoos and Abuja, leading the race. Lagos is ramping up this week.
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by MainJoe: 12:39pm On Apr 20, 2020
Ricchcream:
We already know it's Lagoos and Abuja, leading the race. Lagos is ramping up this week.

How do we know when we have not done comprehensive sample testing in the whole country? This is just guess work.
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by Nobody: 12:41pm On Apr 20, 2020
MainJoe:

How do we know when we have not done comprehensive sample testing in the whole country? This is just guess work.
You're right. There is much to do, but we simply don't have the structure to build on. So, we work with what we have.
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by MainJoe: 12:42pm On Apr 20, 2020
Ricchcream:
15 billion naira is still limited a resource, if you dont want to take a conservative approach to tackling the menace. New York released 40million dollars for it, despite having world class health facilities at the wake of the pandemic. South Africa with measly 58 million population, spends 8× more on health yearly in the past 5 years than Nigeria.

To me, this pandemic should be a wake up call, but you can't wake the dead. So, what to do? Just keep it at a lockdown, do your testing at your own pace and have plenty isolation spaces ready, just in case.

The virus is not waiting for our own pace. We need to act creatively to get ahead of the virus.

Sample testing will go a long way and N15 Billion is more than enough to have carried out sample testing, massive surveillance and to an extent larger scale treatment than we are currently doing.

Heck Ghana has done 68,591 tests. We could have done close that for sample tests.
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by MainJoe: 12:45pm On Apr 20, 2020
Ricchcream:
You're right. There is much to do, but we simply don't have the structure to build on. So, we work with what we have.

We are not just to work with what we have but comprehensively utilise our limited resources to its most maximum capacity.

The bosses of the Ministry of Health and NCDC need to go. I will keep saying it. We need far more creative minds. We need to get the private sector on board, including the CSOs that have direct link to the masses and their needs. We need the academic institutions to contribute their quarter.

We need a comprehensive Covid-19 action plan fast and need to act on it. We have expert in these. Get them in. We can not keep moving at such a slow rate when even capable nations are falling.
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by Legendguru: 12:46pm On Apr 20, 2020
ye
Re: COVID-19 : 70 New Cases In Lagos, Lagos Mainland Has Highest Number Of Cases by Nobody: 12:52pm On Apr 20, 2020
MainJoe:

The virus is not waiting for our own pace. We need to act creatively to get ahead of the virus.

Sample testing will go a long way and N15 Billion is more than enough to have carried out sample testing, massive surveillance and to an extent larger scale treatment than we are currently doing.

Heck Ghana has done 68,591 tests. We could have done close that for sample tests.
Germany and South Korea did what you're suggesting, and are already gallivanting towards success, but this is Nigeria,and I don't like to deceive myself. Radicals like you can't keep spitting. They will hear.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

5 Reasons Why Your Private Part Smells And What To Do / Nigerian Surgeon Removes Baby From Womb, Operates On Her Tumor, Returns Her Back / The Coronavirus Seems To Like Cold Weather

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.