Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,258 members, 7,811,725 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:06 PM

Richard Akinjide Is Dead - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Richard Akinjide Is Dead (45568 Views)

G5 Crisis: Akinjide Wins Polling Unit For Atiku In Ibadan / 2023: Chief Jumoke Akinjide Berates Bola Tinubu / Gridlock In Ibadan As Akinjide, Oyelese And PDP Members Stage Walk For Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by MT: 9:32am On Apr 21, 2020
Bluntemperor:

Seun,Lalasticlala-you see this indomie generation,who are fools and are ready to sold there conscience- Chi for a moi-moi plate.
This is a man who sold South-west under s shameless disguise of 12 (2/3) Permutations at Supreme Court,in a case between National Party of Nigeria(NPN) and the Unity Party of Nigeria(UPN). How can a good journalist-like OP missed that in his analysis?.Na Wao!
This was a celebrated case between Chief Obafemi Awolowo and Alhaji Shehu Sagari's era.The aftermath is what Nigeria is today-TRUTH is Sacred!.The country could not move forward.!.
Akinjide led creams of Legal Luminaries to sold Yoruba people,which is hunting them till today,because of being in NPN-with Chief Adisa Akinloye-as Chairman of the party.Akinloye was importing his name on Champagne Drinks to celebrate nonsense.Somebody will tell us let the dead rest- how can people do evil to their nation that is the basis of Corruption hunting Nigeria till tomorrow.Assuming he Akinjide was on the side of Awolowo,situation would definitely have changed because of political alignment and re-alignment!.The NPN looted the Treasury dry and Shehu Sagari went back to his village aftermath,leaving Nigeria poorer and of course,the Army took over.They ensure their Children are in better places.today is Nigeria better?.The evil that men do... hmmmm! .

Due to the fact that Akinjide was a Yoruba man , I, myself shared the sentiment for a long time, (as largely believed by majority of Yorubas) that Akinjide betrayed Awolowo and Yoruba people due to his 12 2/3 argument in court which majority of the Supreme Court Justices agreed with, bar Justice Kayode Esho, to dismiss Awolowo's case against Shehu Shagari.

However, come to look at it, Akinjide was in the opposition party (NPN) and a lead counsel to Shagari, who was also in NPN. Awolowo was in UPN party. A whole tribe can't be in the same party. Akinjide simply fought brilliantly for the interest of the party he belonged to and won the case for his client in that landmark judgement. You wouldn't expect him to argue in support of Awolowo's argument during the trial. He should be saluted for his brilliant legal mind in the case. This was never a case of betrayal. Winning a case for your client can never be regarded as a betrayal. Till his death, he was regarded as Akinjide "the mathematician" among his legal associates.

Though his party looted Nigeria blind and mismanaged our resources, that was another case entirely and should not be mixed with what transpired in the court room. For those that want to know the meaning of 12 2/3, here is the link to read further on it:
https://www.thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2020/04/21/the-judicial-dynamics-of-political-arithmetic-the-12-2-3-conundrum/

2 Likes

Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by MuttleyLaff: 9:34am On Apr 21, 2020
stagger:
Guy, some of us grew up then when they were in power in NPN. That's when this rot in Nigeria started: 1981 to be precise when the collapse of oil prices sent Nigeria's economy into a tailspin from which she has never recovered.
He was the mf who celebrated his first billons or was it millions sef, with chinking of Champagne bottles

Never liked the backstabbing mf angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by tete7000(m): 9:39am On Apr 21, 2020
This one of the people who drafted our fake constitution.... Uhmm! Dem no try... May his soul rest in peace.

2 Likes

Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by itsene: 9:50am On Apr 21, 2020
Prenonjebose:
I remember passing infront of his house those days. Back then, the house was something to behold. With high fence and security details. Nothing last forever
Is the house no longer there?
Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by Fekkyranky: 9:51am On Apr 21, 2020
RIP SIR!
Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by Donlanray: 9:53am On Apr 21, 2020
12 two third. RIP.

1 Like

Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by BewareOf419: 10:05am On Apr 21, 2020
Who kills him?
Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by BitmapStudios: 10:25am On Apr 21, 2020
naptu2:

grin What is 2/3rds of 19?
12 of course.
I saw him some years back at Golf club in 2Div Nigerian Army, Ibadan. He sponsored a tournament in honor of his wife. And someone there told me he was the man that stopped Awolowo winning, collected some big money and fled to the UK.
Just don't know how true all that is and thought you might have an insight. Or perhaps, you will open a thread and enlighten us his role, life and times. Thank You sir.

cool

1 Like

Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by PopsiAde: 10:44am On Apr 21, 2020

1 Like

Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by naptu2: 10:47am On Apr 21, 2020
BitmapStudios:

12 of course.
I saw him some years back at Golf club in 2Div Nigerian Army, Ibadan. He sponsored a tournament in honor of his wife. And someone there told me he was the man that stopped Awolowo winning, collected some big money and fled to the UK.
Just don't know how true all that is and thought you might have an insight. Or perhaps, you will open a thread and enlighten us his role, life and times. Thank You sir.

cool

OK, here's a summary.

There was a presidential election in 1979. In order to win the election on the first ballot a candidate must have the largest share of votes and he must also win at least 25% of the vote in two-thirds of the states. Nigeria had 19 states at the time and two-thirds of 19 in exact figures is 12.66.

Alhaji Shehu Shagari won 25% in twelve states and 19.9% in Kano State. He claimed that he had won the required 25% in twelve states and that his 19.9% in Kano State made up for the required 0.66 that was left.

Chief Obafemi Awolowo, who came second, argued that Shagari had not met the required 25% of the vote in two-thirds of the states and that there should be a runoff election. Chief Awolowo and the UPN went to the election petition tribunal and Chief Richard Akinjide was one of Shagari/NPN's lawyers. Chief Akinjide is credited with coming up with the idea that 19.9% of the votes in Kano State = 0.66 that was required.

Alhaji Shehu Shagari won the case and was sworn in as president. Chief Awolowo's supporters blamed Akinjide for coming up with that idea and they believe that Awo would have won the runoff election if it wasn't for Akinjide's idea.

Chief Richard Akinjide became the minister of justice and attorney general of the federation in Shagari's government.

(I remember that the famous mathematician, Professor Chike Obi, tried to answer the question, what is 2/3rd of 19, but I can't remember what his answer was).

Chief Akinjide was also a minister in the First Republic and you should read his account of the first coup.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by Nobody: 11:19am On Apr 21, 2020
Pls and pls someone should help a sister in need... since this lockdown there has been nothing to eat... someone should pls send something as low as 1k.pls i beg you all in the name of God.
Zenith Bank
Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by meforyou1(m): 12:14pm On Apr 21, 2020
Corporate2020:

Yes, loss to his family and group of familiar saboteurs just like familiar spirits. He was one of the traitors and backstabbing bastards including Adisa Akinloye, Lamidi Adedibu that ganged up with Obasanjo against Awolowo and the Yoruba interest in 1959, 1979 - 1983. Even when they are still alive, Awolowo who is long dead is remembered everyday while the living dead are forgotten.
is war criminal awolowo not a saboteur himself?
Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by thedio(m): 12:40pm On Apr 21, 2020
RIP the lawyer they called Mathematician.

1 Like

Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by BitmapStudios: 1:15pm On Apr 21, 2020
naptu2:

OK, here's a summary.

There was a presidential election in 1979. In order to win the election on the first ballot a candidate must have the largest share of votes and he must also win at least 25% of the vote in two-thirds of the states. Nigeria had 19 states at the time and two-thirds of 19 in exact figures is 12.66.

Alhaji Shehu Shagari won 25% in twelve states and 19.9% in Kano State. He claimed that he had won the required 25% in twelve states and that his 19.9% in Kano State made up for the required 0.66 that was left.

Chief Obafemi Awolowo, who came second, argued that Shagari had not met the required 25% of the vote in two-thirds of the states and that there should be a runoff election. Chief Awolowo and the UPN went to the election petition tribunal and Chief Richard Akinjide was one of Shagari/NPN's lawyers. Chief Akinjide is credited with coming up with the idea that 19.9% of the votes in Kano State = 0.66 that was required.

Alhaji Shehu Shagari won the case and was sworn in as president. Chief Awolowo's supporters blamed Akinjide for coming up with that idea and they believe that Awo would have won the runoff election if it wasn't for Akinjide's idea.

Chief Richard Akinjide became the minister of justice and attorney general of the federation in Shagari's government.

(I remember that the famous mathematician, Professor Chike Obi, tried to answer the question, what is 2/3rd of 19, but I can't remember what his answer was).

Chief Akinjide was also a minister in the First Republic and you should read his account of the first coup.
I see! It's wasn't personal then, it's purely business.
Thank you for the clarification. Do you by chance have a link to his account of the coup? I read a couple of his publications on oil and gas law, maritime law, litigation and a couple of others. They are on a yellow and pink stripe cover design. I can't find them again in my library.

cool

cool
Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by stagger: 1:30pm On Apr 21, 2020
joefelin2345:
Y are you contradicting yourself? You said the px of oil collapsed. Was that his fault? What about those in powers when the country was so buoyant yet mid managed the economy e.g. General Yakubu Gowon, Gen Ibrahim Babangida etc. Take it or leave it this man though I don't agree with him in some issues was...a great man n very sound lawyer- what the Hausa called ...Lawyer Giriki.

Do you want me to go into details of what transpired? The selective import licensing policy, the rice contracts of Umaru Dikko, etc? Why do you think Muhammadu Buhari, Sani Abacha, Joshua Dogonyaro staged the coup that swept them off and landed more than 100 politicians of that era including state governors in prison?

If Akinjide was squeaky clean, why did he, Adisa Akinloye and Umaru Dikko run to the UK when the coup took place?

2 Likes

Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by FLYFIRE(m): 2:08pm On Apr 21, 2020
I am surprised he did NOT die of COVID-19...wicked people, the world will see the TRUTH Very SOON

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by Tetrahedron: 2:16pm On Apr 21, 2020
12 2/3 Corrupt Judge, him and that name of a street in V. I

Is it adetokubo ademola?

Good riddance to bad rubbish
Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by kadiri3(m): 2:21pm On Apr 21, 2020
letter dem go sey na Coro kill am
Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by Prenonjebose: 2:37pm On Apr 21, 2020
itsene:

Is the house no longer there?
I have since left the area and city
Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by frog12: 2:52pm On Apr 21, 2020
smart man

wink2015:
Richard Akinjide and Prince Bola Ajibola played significant role in ensuing that Nigeria loose the Bakassi Peninsula.

They both lacked strong legal depth.

Instead of Obasanjo to avoid going to court he took their illfated advice.
Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by Kalubolt(m): 5:19pm On Apr 21, 2020
Thank God they didn't relate it to Coronavirus
Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by ajl: 6:31pm On Apr 21, 2020
juman:
People of senseless generation dying off one by one.
Generation of people that betrayed nigeria.

And they keep writing "had been indisposed for ................ ", as if people do not know what is out there.
Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by juman(m): 6:36pm On Apr 21, 2020
Senseless generation of useless people.
May all of them go to hell fire.
Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by Macon1212: 7:55pm On Apr 21, 2020
2/3 of 19 Formula Master Adieu
Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by Dedetwo(m): 9:23pm On Apr 21, 2020
Richard Akinjide, the man who introduced tribalism into Nigerian academia. Awolowo was the one who introduced tribalism into Nigerian politics. While Samuel Ademulegun held the record as the man who invited tribalism into Nigerian army.
Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by CeterisXVII: 10:02pm On Apr 25, 2020
oyatz:
Yeah, Nigeria almost had something like that in the 1980-1990s but only in selective places.
Nigeria had good electricity in the '80s and '90s? Who told you this gargantuan lie?? shocked
Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by naptu2: 5:04pm On May 01, 2020
BitmapStudios:

12 of course.

cool

Here is a video of Richard Akinjide and Abraham Adesanya outside the Appeal Court in Lagos after Chief Awolowo lost his appeal against the declaration of Alhaji Shehu Shagari as president.

The appeal centred on Awolowo's contetion that although Shagari had won more votes (5,688,857 votes to 4,916,651 votes), Shagari had nonetheless fallen short of the second condition which was that the winner must have one-quarter of the votes in two-thirds of the 19 states of the federation. The provision read “…not less than one quarter of the votes cast at the election in each of at least two thirds of all the (19) states within the federation.”

Shagari had 25% or one-quarter of the votes in 12 states, but did not reach the 25% threshold in Kano State where he polled 243,423 votes; the equivalent of 19.4% of the 1,220,763 votes cast in total in the state. According to Awolowo's team, the phrase should have been interpreted to mean that a candidate must score 25% of the votes in at least 13 out of the then 19 states in Nigeria.

Akinjide argued that the two-thirds of 19 should be 12-2/3 and not 13. He did this by dividing Kano, the 13th state, into three and the votes cast in two-thirds of the state. Fractionalising Kano thus gave Shagari the constitutionally required votes.

Akijinde's creative respose earned him the sobriqet "Akinjide Onisiro"; which in the Yoruba language means "Akinjide the mathematician".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibi5FouF534

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by BitmapStudios: 8:50pm On May 01, 2020
naptu2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibi5FouF534

Thank you sir. You know, I still wonder if our generation can ever be as intelligent and visionary as the 60s. I mean, the kind of mindset and intuition we have now is (very) shallow, if we are to be sincere. *Sighs* Thanks again sir.

Have you ever thought of joining politics? CoS of the governor of Lagos State, maybe? You know, we need people with sound mind in the helm of affairs, especially in Post-Covid?
cool
Re: Richard Akinjide Is Dead by BitmapStudios: 10:26pm On May 09, 2020
Naptu2, I saw and have read those posts sir. It's explosive and sad, I must say.
Nigeria has been a heap of lie made of lies - fantastic lies!

Shagari, Dikko, Akinloye and even MKO. Fela ITT song always comes to mind anytime I hear people say, 'Abiola was the best president Nigeria never had'. I have always had my reservation for him.

Sir, is it not the same BCCI (aka Cartel Bank) that Mamman Daura, Buhari's uncle was Board Chairman?!!!!!!

Even PW has been operating in our country for that long?!

Is this country redeemable? Is there hope for this country.

Imagine Dikko having $5billion(minus the unaccounted) at that time, how much more has been lost from Nigeria's treasury, by and large. We just received over $300mil of Abacha's runs, many more are scattered all around the world and much more are being moved from this country on daily basis.

Who truly is the common man? Who are the poorest of the poor? Like you said, we like coining names.

It's sad all these are happening to this country.

Thank you for your time and expository, your knowledge is highly appreciated sir.

cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

“You Lied!” – Jonathan Replies David Cameron Over Chibok Girls / #BuhariMustGo Protest Rocks Abuja / Third Force Party Gathering Momentum (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.