Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,238 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? - Health (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? (31101 Views)

How Come There Was No Lockdown For Ebola Which Was Deadlier? / Life Has Returned To Normalcy In Madagascar. No Lockdown! No Forced Holidays! / COVID-19 Lockdown: Household Items You Should Consider Buying (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by Fogman(m): 6:03pm On Apr 26, 2020
xcabczyxabczzzz:

What are you saying? In every country those that recover(discharge) are more than those that died from the virus.

Bring the data from any country that suggest otherwise.

Please go and recheck, 2 weeks back over 2000s died within 24hrs in US, did that same number recovered with that said time?
Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by showafrica(m): 6:03pm On Apr 26, 2020
ObafemiAwoIowo:
if they can maintain lockdown with enough palliatives to go round and sustain like most countries
then no problem
also rapid testing.

but if they cannot maintain the lockdown

then option 2 should be necessary and applied

We know option 1 cannot hold, let us debate on how to handle option 2
Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by Etinosa1234: 6:06pm On Apr 26, 2020
Fogman:

We have more death
35 deaths to 200 recovered
we really have more death
Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by MartinsD12(m): 6:07pm On Apr 26, 2020
netpro:
With the rampaging pandemic not slowing down and many folks suffering under the pressure of hunger, there is a great debate on whether the lockdown should be lifted.

Option 1:
Maintain the lockdown, provide palliatives and increase testing and medical response.

Option 2:
Lift lockdown within the country, block international flights, enforce face masks, hand washing, use of hand sanitisers, etc. And let us battle it head long till there is a cure.

Which part of the debate are you?
Option one has failed woefully the government did not provide palliative for the people so how do you want stay at home to work infact many died because of hunger and mind you the number of cases reported are not transparent at all NCDC has not given us any facts at all its all hype we might have like 10 real cases they hype it to 500 CASES that's what they do, so back to option 2 that's where we are moving now this country its a joke
Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Apr 26, 2020
fortran12:

Be ready to stay home for like 5 years. I will send post cards
I reckon end of 2021 but whatever it takes!!!

You have to be alive to send a postcard
Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by lordthree(m): 6:09pm On Apr 26, 2020
babyfaceafrica:

Lockdown Nigeria for two more weeks and see maybe our death rate will not double.. You think hunger is smiling àbí.. Awawa boys is mailing àbí... Continue

Please anyone that wants to go out should be allowed to go out but they must sign a waiver stating that if they get COVID they are not allowed to be treated.

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by Coolcalmcollect(m): 6:11pm On Apr 26, 2020
izzou:
For me, I still support the LOCKDOWN for the next one month

Let us sacrifice this little time and see the curve flatten to a reasonable extent.

Nigerians sef are not helping. Stay at home, everyone is screaming hunger (which is true). But isn't it better to feel hunger, than see your loved ones die because of something without cure?

Face masks can be enforced, but it's difficult for Social distancing to be. From markets, to banks, to busstops, to churches, to everywhere....Only walking along Idumota or Obalende sef na wahala

If this lockdown is lifted, na God hand we dey. NCDC are already overburdened despite thelockdown. Imagine when it's lifted

This is a very big risk to be taken on Monday. God will see us through
go and tell dem this in ajegunle and post your pic after
Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by Etinosa1234: 6:11pm On Apr 26, 2020
Fogman:

Please go and recheck, 2 weeks back over 2000s died within 24hrs in US, did that same number recovered with that said time?
U have Google ryt

Check the number of people that has recovered

it's still more than the deaths
Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by lordthree(m): 6:12pm On Apr 26, 2020
izzou:

Is it that you are enjoying this back and forth quotes, or you are deliberately forcing yourself not to understand me?

Now we are currently on lockdown
Is Iamgrey infected? No
If the lockdown is lifted, is it possible for him to be infected? Obviously yes

The reason why you are seeing increased numbers is because THEY HAVE INCREASED THE NUMBER OF TESTS. THEY HAVE INCREASED THE NUMBER OF TESTS. THEY HAVE INCREASED THE NUMBER OF TESTS. THEY HAVE INCREASED THE NUMBER OF TESTS

If you conduct a test for 1 million people today, you'll see an increased number. It just shows you that these are the infected ones, not necessarily that they caught it today

But if you remove the lockdown, it becomes more difficult to find them, and the infected ones(who don,t know) will keep spreading it.

I hope your next quote wont let us dwell on this anymore

Bro you’re wasting your time. Most Nigerians are block heads

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by Moji12(f): 6:15pm On Apr 26, 2020
My own contribution is ilustrated in the picture.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by Bimpe29: 6:21pm On Apr 26, 2020
Maintenance of lockdown is second to none in the fight against the scourge of coronavirus.

Second option is counterproductive.

3 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by budget4(m): 6:27pm On Apr 26, 2020
The truth is that our government can't provide any reasonable palliative.
it's better we trust in God to put an end to the pandemic by opening the eyes of researchers for a vaccine.
Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by fortran12: 6:27pm On Apr 26, 2020
isthatso:

I reckon end of 2021 but whatever it takes!!!

You have to be alive to send a postcard
Most def. Happy stay at home
Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by Playermayweda(m): 6:28pm On Apr 26, 2020
This lockdown is not a very smart move, Coa i believe hunger kills more than the covid-19, The government is not doing enough cos i have neither seen nor heard anything about any palliative in my area, People can't protect their business and themselves from thieves, even people who don't have anything else to do go and find what to thief, crime rate has increased and the number of people that has died since this lockdown has started are more than the covid has killed, I really feel that people who say that we should stay at home and stop complaining about hunger have food to eat at home and are very inconsiderate because if they know what it means to be hungry, they won't be saying all these
Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by fortran12: 6:35pm On Apr 26, 2020
Moji12:
My own contribution is ilustrated in the picture.
You need the virus to develop your immune system. Keeping people indoors will weaken immune systems

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by scoundrel(f): 6:46pm On Apr 26, 2020
The government should lift the lockdown and let evolution weed out idiots. It’s a simple instruction: stay at home and only come out for necessities, yet people disregard the rule for every excuse under the sun. It is only when close family members die that Africans are willing to learn.

In threads like this there is one greedy man who always posts, putting human life below his business. He is against the lockdown because for once something is finally affecting his breadwinning activity. That his normal life is one of isolation and his business a virtual one does not make him better than anyone else. Then again hypocrisy is the order of the day here.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by Leezah(f): 7:01pm On Apr 26, 2020
Coronavirus: 10 reasons why total lockdown is a waste of time and cannot work in Nigeria.

By

Charles Soludo

I’ll Summarize the Points to back up this claim in the thread with excerpts from Soludo.

1. We Cannot afford it

African countries easily copied the template of “stay at home” or lockdown orders, as in many Western countries but didn’t copy the accurate distribution of funds ranging from $1000-$1500 to citizens

2. No Credible Data

Nigeria does not have credible demographic data to identify and target the most vulnerable unlike the western world. The Government doesn’t even know where the most Vulnerable ate located! They just give money to People who in turn embezzle it and post photos

3. There is no Effective Execution

The Covid Cases keeps increasing everyday and if the Lockdown is a way to reduce or halt the spread of the Virus, then from the results it’s clearly not working and counter productive as a matter of Fact.

4. There is no Exit Plan

The idea of Lockdown is to contain the spread in a given time and if it’s not contained in that period, there will be extensions. If Point 3 above is still valid, then there’s clearly no plan to stop the Lockdown. Which is a suicidal waiting game.

So the cases continue to double and we continue to stay at home without no source of income. Soon savings will be exhausted and people will be forced to come out to hustle for food since point No1 is still valid and then we are back to point No 2.

5. Hunger Virus

Africans have had high rates of poverty and hunger even without the CV19, now this just throws us into more hunger and in a couple of weeks, people will have more health issues sprung up from Malnutrition and hunger.

6. Health Pandemic

In normal times, thousands die every day in Africa due to other illnesses and communicable diseases — cholera, malaria, lassa fever, tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, zika virus, measles, small pox etc

Lockdowns worsen these as many of the victims of these now have little or no cash to attend to themselves. Soon the pharmacy shops will run out of imported drugs with Border restrictions in China and India. Local adulterated drugs sales will increase to fill that gap, it’s now a life or death situation.

7. Politicians are doing Photo Charity, in Nigeria’s Language “Audio Charity”.

Much fanfare, drop a few currency notes or grains here and there for some hundreds, when millions are in desperate need, just to be seen to have “done something”

8. Crime Pandemic

Phew, everyone saw this coming, we just didn’t expect it so soon. The Touts see this as an elite problem and for them, “the hunger Virus is more dangerous than corona virus”. The desperate ones are forced to take desperate actions to survive

9. Many Firms will die!

Most of the owners of MSMEs will probably consume their business capital during the lockdowns, with no clear helpline afterwards. It won’t be long Business owners may not be able to sustain the work from home or pay salaries

10. Agriculture will be hit hard

Agriculture in Africa is rain-fed and seasonal. Lockdowns during the planting season could threaten food security in months ahead. Inflation will shoot up while people who need transport to their farms cannot do so.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by bobolaga: 7:04pm On Apr 26, 2020
This is xmas for Nigeria doctors,at least they will like to enjoy hazard allowance for six months,that is why the number of corona virus will be up going with less testing kids and sample collected,all this is fake added to the earlier cov 19 first index from Italy.for now those who has been sick of typhoid fever,chest cool,pneumonia,Lassa fever and all the above ailment assist coughing,they are all count as corona virus,this is the one of the reasons our Government VP travel out to get treatment.
Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Apr 26, 2020
if the FG can pay every Nigeria citizen 20k at least monthly, I am for lockdown else let covid 19 do the killing instead of hunger.
Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by Investnow2017: 7:51pm On Apr 26, 2020
DaRuud:

Na because you get food that's why you are saying this .

There is hunger in the land and the palliatives isn't reaching most people

I think the BIG issue with a lot of folks is the question of the effectiveness of the LOCKDOWN in Nigeria. Because you do not now come out you cannot really appreciate how loose and ineffective the so-called lockdown is. Most of the reported new cases in other States right now are the result of people moving from one end of Nigeria to the other.

So right now the perception of majority of those who are obeying this lockdown is more of punishment. If the lockdown was being effectively implemented across the country many will support it, but sadly the reverse is the case. People are moving freely or paying to move around and you call that lockdown? And there is no concerted federal response either.

A lot of folks see the obvious point you are making. Sadly the lockdown is another avenue for some to make money at the expense of obedient Nigerians. That is the sad reality. And please don't minimize the virus of hunger. If you are a family man, you will perhaps understand. The worst thing for a family head is watching your family, especially the vulnerable little ones, crying for food, and you are healthy, but yet you and your wife are prevented from coming out of your abode to hustle and provide for them. And then at night your light sleep is disturbed by sporadic gunshots threatening your safety, and you are helpless!

The way NCDC is going about the job, the way people are flagrantly flouting the so-called lockdown, WHEN EXACTLY DO YOU THINK THE CURVE WILL FLATTEN? Or let me put it more simply, WHEN WILL THE CORONAVIRUS SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCE IN NIGERIA?

Most deaths from the Covid-19 are of those that were tested after they had died. So what does that tell you about continuous lockdown? Do you really see Nigeria as a nation that is ready to effectively fight this pandemic?

Our institutions and economy are too weak to support a continuous lockdown and to fight this pandemic. It is not sustenable in the long run. Why many folks are even worried is that even with the lockdown new cases of the virus are emerging, the figures are not reducing. So why continuously keep people imprisoned in their homes and keep telling them it is for their own good without any practical move to assuage their suffering?

As it is now many folks would prefer the government devote enough energy to FIGHT the increasing and dangerous HUNGER VIRUS, than dissipate energy towards attempting to fight the coronavirus. Our attempt has shown that govt cannot fight this pandemic, and it would appear this virus is not meant for us. I think many are saying: GOVERNMENT PLEASE FIGHT THE HUNGER VIRUS, WE ON OUR PART WILL FIGHT THE CORONAVIRUS ITSELF.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by netpro(m): 8:02pm On Apr 26, 2020
zimdante:
if the FG can pay every Nigeria citizen 20k at least monthly, I am for lockdown else let covid 19 do the killing instead of hunger.

Check the word "Inflation".

As supply shrinks, with demand persisting, Cost of goods will increase massively.
Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by Legendguru: 8:24pm On Apr 26, 2020
No lockdown
Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by Asetime: 8:32pm On Apr 26, 2020
izzou:

Okay bro
I commend your level of maturity. You have painstakingly expressed your own opinion and despite the attacks meted on you, you still counter with facts rather than insults or curses as most nairalanders are accustomed to.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by JimCrane30(m): 8:32pm On Apr 26, 2020
isthatso:
I am for lockdown but since it is clear NIgerians for whatever reason will not enforce the lockdown, Therefore reluctantly, I say open it up, let the pandemic run wild. *Let it prune out the dumb and let’s know who is left standing*

I am prepared to stay at home for as long as it takes. Nobody coming in nobody going out.

In any event our population has become more of a hinderance than an asset.

Funnyman. What makes you think you won't be among the dumb to be prunned out by Covid-19.

Nigerians eh....they are so self-centered.
God help us
Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by izzou(m): 8:36pm On Apr 26, 2020
Asetime:

I commend your level of maturity. You have painstakingly expressed your own opinion and despite the attacks meted on you, you still counter with facts rather than insults or curses as most nairalanders are accustomed to.

I was shocked with they way they all insulted me.

The topic was about opinions.

Anyways, lesson learnt, and I now know monikers to avoid grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Apr 26, 2020
JimCrane30:

Funnyman. What makes you think you won't be among the dumb to be prunned out by Covid-19.

Nigerians eh....they are so self-centered.
God help us
. I am for total lockdown. I have said the solution is a total lockdown while the haves provide for the have nots. some people want the lockdown to end and so I say in that case me I will stay in my house. Those who thing hunger is worse than death should go out and try death, since they say we are selfish when we say stay at home.

If people don’t want to borrow themselves sense, life will teach them.

The only place you are safe is at home. When you go out you risk death, even if it is not your death, it could be death of your loved ones that you bring the disease back home to.

People who say lockdown is worse than death should go and try death!!! We won’t miss them, the less fools the better. The people who don’t care about contracting the disease and passing it on are quite frankly a liability and probably deserve to die. It means they don’t value life....theirs and that of others!!!

A hungry man is at least alive, a dead man cannot spend money

3 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by DaddyRochie1642: 9:03pm On Apr 26, 2020
izzou:

Let us sacrifice this little time and see the curve flatten to a reasonable extent.

Nigerians sef are not helping. Stay at home, everyone is screaming hunger (which is true). But isn't it better to feel hunger, than see your loved ones die because of something without cure?

Face masks can be enforced, but it's difficult for Social distancing to be. From markets, to banks, to busstops, to churches, to everywhere....Only walking along Idumota or Obalende sef na wahala

If this lockdown is lifted, na God hand we dey. NCDC are already overburdened despite thelockdown. Imagine when it's lifted

Ogaeven in China, those that claimed to have recovered from the disease were still reported to be infected again by the disease... So obviously, the Lockdown has had no single Impact... Its Very Clear

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Apr 26, 2020
DaddyRochie1642:

Ogaeven in China, those that claimed to have recovered from the disease were still reported to be infected again by the disease... So obviously, the Lockdown has had no single Impact... Its Very Clear

Don’t be annoyed. Go out and earn your living and let’s hope you beat the odds and don’t die. We will stay at home and when it is over....and it will be over one day, we still see who is still standing.

However remember that one of the reasons for the lockdown is that Nigeria does not have enough beds to treat people if or rather when numbers really start to escalate. So understand that we are almost at a point where people will die simply because there are not enough beds to accommodate them when they get sick

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by Greizman: 9:34pm On Apr 26, 2020
Iamgrey5:
The lock down itself is a copy and paste idea from the Western world and it didn't work.

Lagos has moved from 66 cases within the lock down period to 600 + cases in four weeks with more cases waiting to be reported.

Coronavirus has moved from only 4 states to 27 states of the federation.

Majority of the African countries that paniced and copied the western world approach initially have now seen reasons to change their approach to accommodate their own realities.

Ghana, South Africa, Algeria etc amongst others.

What do you think would have happened of there was no lockdown?
With lockdown from 66 - 600. You have just justified the reason for lockdown. I can tell you if there was no lockdown, we would be nearing 100,000 cases by now. Look at America that have locked down since.. Its getting worse over there day by day.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by bluefilm: 9:51pm On Apr 26, 2020
Greizman:

What do you think would have happened of there was no lockdown?
With lockdown from 66 - 600. You have just justified the reason for lockdown. I can tell you if there was no lockdown, we would be nearing 100,000 cases by now. Look at America that have locked down since.. Its getting worse over there day by day.

This should show you that lockdown DOES NOT work.

In naija, we may argue that the lockdown is not perfect due to certain prevailing conditions.

But in the USA where the lockdown is perfect, why is the number still rising?

Think about it.
Re: COVID-19: Lockdown Or No Lockdown - Which Side Are You? by Nefort: 10:00pm On Apr 26, 2020
izzou:

Even if the lockdown lasts for 6 months the virus will still be out there and will return back as long there is somewhere in the world not on lockdown. The lockdowns are just a waste of time.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

JOHESU Strike Claims Nigeria’s Only Neuropathologist / Ebola: West-African Nations Approach Lagos For Help. / Kaduna's 300-Bed Specialist Hospital Taken Over By Weeds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.