Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,224 members, 7,811,621 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:52 PM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 - Travel (226) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (1156527 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) ... (723) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Luckymama: 4:30am On Aug 13, 2020
Cathneblack:

I don’t know where people get the notion of 1 year program doesn’t qualify you for Pr. Please stop giving out wrong information

It’s not really that it doesn’t qualify you for PR. It’s just that you may need more than 1 year to get the necessary points for PR. For instance to get points for work experience in Canada you need at least 1 year work experience. What if you finish the program and it takes you a while to get a job in the proper NOC. Before you get the job and all that a greater part of that 1 year is over. Then you don’t get those points.
What if the one year PR expires before you are called to apply for PR? Then you have to leave Canada because Post Graduate Work Permit cannot be renewed.
It’s safer to get a course that will get you at least 2 years. No matter how bad it is one should have been able to get a job and the needed experience within 2 or 3 years.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by jayrouce: 7:54am On Aug 13, 2020
Osemigho:

Thank you. I will try that again and revert.

You no link am well. Revoked gckey no mean anything. You just have to create another and link your former application. Try it again and ensure you answer each question correctly. Thanks.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Cathneblack: 9:23am On Aug 13, 2020
Luckymama:

It’s not really that it doesn’t qualify you for PR. It’s just that you may need more than 1 year to get the necessary points for PR. For instance to get points for work experience in Canada you need at least 1 year work experience. What if you finish the program and it takes you a while to get a job in the proper NOC. Before you get the job and all that a greater part of that 1 year is over. Then you don’t get those points.
What if the one year PR expires before you are called to apply for PR? Then you have to leave Canada because Post Graduate Work Permit cannot be renewed.
It’s safer to get a course that will get you at least 2 years. No matter how bad it is one should have been able to get a job and the needed experience within 2 or 3 years.
I definitely understand. Thank you for your comment.
But do you know you can also add your previous education ( there’s need for evaluation though) and even work experience from your home country.

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Insanity(m): 10:17am On Aug 13, 2020
Luckymama:

Those are good points you stated there, one year will be a tough time to get a job and apply for your PR. But there are other criteria for getting points on the EE or CEC routes. Even on the CEC, people still get the requirements with a year program and a year PGWP and get their PR. So everyone can't follow the same path, we need to explain the details for the person to make an informed decision or direct the person to a weblink to read and make the decision themselves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Luckymama: 11:53am On Aug 13, 2020
Cathneblack:
I definitely understand. Thank you for your comment.
But do you know you can also add your previous education ( there’s need for evaluation though) and even work experience from your home country.

That’s true. But for some candidates who are older (over 35) all the points from previous education and experience in home country may not be enough. Thus, the reason they are going through this route study route is because they need the extra points from Canadian education and work experience in Canada.
If you are younger than 30, it pays better to do your masters in Nigeria and apply for PR straight.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Luckymama: 11:59am On Aug 13, 2020
Insanity:

Those are good points you stated there, one year will be a tough time to get a job and apply for your PR. But there are other criteria for getting points on the EE or CEC routes. Even on the CEC, people still get the requirements with a year program and a year PGWP and get their PR. So everyone can't follow the same path, we need to explain the details for the person to make an informed decision or direct the person to a weblink to read and make the decision themselves.

If you go back a few pages on this thread you will see where people who have passed through this process explain that often, by the time you get through with the first program which gives you one year you now have to apply for another 1 year program so as to get 2 years. Jobs have never been easy to come by in Canada for immigrants so it’s better to approach things prepared for the worst case scenario.
I think it is overly optimistic for someone to believe that they will find a job in the proper NOC and get PR within the space of 1 year. Many of us here have an overly rosy view of what life is like outside Nigeria.
Especially now with a global recession looming, it’s going to be even tougher so I think it’s better one just prepares for that.

4 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Anon123: 12:07pm On Aug 13, 2020
Time2soar:

The admission decision is about a month after your application is complete. The information on the FAQ is for general purpose but the MBA have rolling admission policy which means they make a decision on your application once it is complete usually within a month.

They will usually contact you if your application is missing any referee or document but the only status update you will get on the application portal is the admission or refusal notice.

But its been 5months and not a word
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by jayrouce: 12:18pm On Aug 13, 2020
I have been able to link my application successfully!

I omitted my middle name.

Thank you.

Osemigho:

You no link am well. Revoked gckey no mean anything. You just have to create another and link your former application. Try it again and ensure you answer each question correctly. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by JustMellow: 12:26pm On Aug 13, 2020
jayrouce:
Good evening house.

Hope our day was productive and blessed.

@JustMellow @Osemigho and anyone that can assist:

I tried logging into my account this evening and i got this message:

GCKey Revoked
Your GCKey Username and Password have been previously revoked.

Please try again using a valid Username and Password.

What does that mean?

I logged a webform last week with my medicals and police report and added a note that I did an upfront medicals and I got a response that the document has been forwarded to the Kenya Visa Office.

See the message they sent to my email below:

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
We are pleased to confirm the reception of the following documents:

Medical Report.pdf
Police Report 2.pdf
Police Reportpdf.pdf

We have forwarded them to the responsible office for their consideration.

Since your file is located at the Canadian visa office in Nairobi, Kenya, we invite you to also contact them in order to:

Report important changes,
Provide documents,
Add a representative or designated individual on file,
Obtain information regarding the status of your application, or
Enquire on an outcome to a request.

Please how can I get my account back. I have also created a new key and tried to link the application with my details but it could not find the application.

Your assistance is needed please.

Thank you.

Hello Jayrouce,

Linking a new account, especially after revoking can be sometimes tricky and exhausting. You've to patiently stimulate your details into the provided columns as required or by experimenting. Trying inputting and pay close attention to the following:

Category: Temporary Resident
Sub-category: Temporary resident visa
Application number: SXX
Family name: XX
Passport details: XX
City of birth: XX/Nigeria
Country of birth: Nigeria

If it request for further details, provide as prompt.

All the best
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by jayrouce: 12:35pm On Aug 13, 2020
Thank you.

I got it linked. I didn't fill in all the details properly and I repeated the process carefully as directed by @Osemigho.

I appreciate your assistance for reaching out again.

Have a blessed day and hope to get our AIPs and final approvals this week by His grace.

JustMellow:

Hello Jayrouce,

Linking a new account, especially after revoking can be sometimes tricky and exhausting. You've to patiently stimulate your details into the provided columns as required or by experimenting. Trying inputting and pay close attention to the following:

Category: Temporary Resident
Sub-category: Temporary resident visa
Application number: SXX
Family name: XX
Passport details: XX
City of birth: XX/Nigeria
Country of birth: Nigeria

If it request for further details, provide as prompt.

All the best

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by JustMellow: 12:46pm On Aug 13, 2020
Insanity:

Hello Insanity,

Time is always a factor to consider within Canada. That's the advantage of a 2yr program because of the comfort and rest of mind that comes with it.

The other routes you may be hinting at requires Canadian work experience in NOC 0, A, B (or C in most North Atlantic Provinces) and must have a job offer. This may not easily come-by and may likely not be attainable within year, especially if the NOC type isn't in demand in that province.

One year is possible but its better to play safe.

One love

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Frankrobbn1: 12:50pm On Aug 13, 2020
BlegendE:

Hello Frankrobbn1,

Initially, i was denied in january 30th. Then i applied in June 22.

Medical invite july 22

Did my Medicals on 31st July
Passed Medicals on 5th August.

aiting for next step. Has anyone being sent a passport request recently? kindly reply. Thanks

Accept my congratulations as there is a huge progress on your application. Kindly note that IRCC haven't been sending passport request (PPR) lately due to the fact that VAC are temporarily locked down. By the way, Have you received a BVL notification yet? because once this is done, it implies that your application has been finalized and ready for Visa (RFV) issuance.

It will end in praise.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by UBCcookies: 12:57pm On Aug 13, 2020
Please is it possible to be refused after this huge progress and how long does it take to get a final approval so as not to miss the online class.
I already deferred from last fall to this fall

Frankrobbn1:

Accept my congratulations as there is a huge progress on your application. Kindly note that IRCC haven't been sending passport request (PPR) lately due to the fact that VAC are temporarily locked down. By the way, Have you received a BVL notification yet? Once this is done, your application has been finalized and ready for Visa (RFV) issuance.

It will end in praise.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by UBCcookies: 12:59pm On Aug 13, 2020
Please anyone going for MEng Electrical UBC Okanagan this fall?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Foski01: 1:00pm On Aug 13, 2020
If one's first application is unsuccessful, how long before they are eligible to reapply?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by zill001: 1:15pm On Aug 13, 2020
Foski01:
If one's first application is unsuccessful, how long before they are eligible to reapply?

You can apply immediately. It depends on whether you can put in a stronger application. So, it is best to take your time and ensure you address the issues raised by the VO that led to him denying your previous application. Some people wait to get their GCMS notes in order to understand what they have to do differently.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Anon123: 1:16pm On Aug 13, 2020
Foski01:

as soon as you can but its best you take your time, apply for your gcms note and repackage your application
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by fairheart(m): 1:21pm On Aug 13, 2020
NwanyiOkpa:

i don't think that you should bother yourself about how people spend their own money and time.
Hey miss, how are you doing? ...
Edited: I have found someone.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 13, 2020
Anon123:

But its been 5months and not a word

5 months? which school is that? I am talking about University of New Brunswick, I got admission about a month after the completion of my application though that was about two months after I submitted an incomplete application because some referee were missing and I was also contacted for a detail resume which delayed the admisssion process.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 13, 2020
Luckymama:

If you go back a few pages on this thread you will see where people who have passed through this process explain that often, by the time you get through with the first program which gives you one year you now have to apply for another 1 year program so as to get 2 years. Jobs have never been easy to come by in Canada for immigrants so it’s better to approach things prepared for the worst case scenario.
I think it is overly optimistic for someone to believe that they will find a job in the proper NOC and get PR within the space of 1 year. Many of us here have an overly rosy view of what life is like outside Nigeria.
Especially now with a global recession looming, it’s going to be even tougher so I think it’s better one just prepares for that.

For most people one year study will be enough to get a PR because immediately you get a job you will most probably qualify for provincial nomination program in most province except Ontario which most times suspend employment based nomination.

More so the extra 30 points for one year post graduate studies is enough for some to get over the point. However, everyone need to assess what will work for them based on how many extra points they need and which province they are going to

Also once you get the provincial nomination, you get a work permit letter to apply for a work permit pending receiving your PR
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Anon123: 2:48pm On Aug 13, 2020
Time2soar:

5 months? which school is that? I am talking about University of New Brunswick, I got admission about a month after the completion of my application though that was about two months after I submitted an incomplete application because some referee were missing and I was also contacted for a detail resume which delayed the admisssion process.

Okay... Well.. I am talking based on masters application of my own brother for Brandon university.. We waited 5months + and at the end of the wait, he wasnt issued the admission. I might be wrong there but i was talking based on experience
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Naijaforeigner: 2:55pm On Aug 13, 2020
Minah2020:

Oh wow thanks. Actually I got admission at western university for masters but the tuition was so high, so I randomly applied to 1 more university and 1 college. Fortunately for me, the college responded to me with admission before the other university and I used the college admission which is Conestoga to apply for my SP.

So now I was thinking of my plans after my college program, if it's possible to still further to masters with a graduate certificate or I go for another random program to secure 3 years pgwp.

Ok I get it. Western is a very very very good school but the fees are on the high side like you said.

When you get to Canada, you will get clarity on the next steps to follow.

All the best.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by buggi102kruse: 3:05pm On Aug 13, 2020
House, apologies if my question sounds cranky

Is there room for student loan in Canada for international students to support or pay second-year tuition in a 2yrs program?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Rach622(f): 3:23pm On Aug 13, 2020
Good day all,
Please can you suggest colleges in Canada that offers Pgd In Agric? I checked Fanshawe and Flemming Colleges. Fanshawe offers 8 months Agric program which costs a total of 17,000 CAD and it's way over my budget for that duration. Fleming already closed application for that program. Please help. I want to apply for Jan 2021
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Fgmp12: 3:38pm On Aug 13, 2020
Rach622:
Good day all,
Please can you suggest colleges in Canada that offers Pgd In Agric? I checked Fanshawe and Flemming Colleges. Fanshawe offers 8 months Agric program which costs a total of 17,000 CAD and it's way over my budget for that duration. Fleming already closed application for that program. Please help. I want to apply for Jan 2021
Below are schools you can look at for PGD in Agricultural science.
https://www.idp.com/global/search/agriculture-sciences/postgraduate/canada/
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Rach622(f): 4:07pm On Aug 13, 2020
Fgmp12:

Below are schools you can look at for PGD in Agricultural science.
https://www.idp.com/global/search/agriculture-sciences/postgraduate/canada/

Thank you
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by jogojogo: 4:36pm On Aug 13, 2020
Please I need help. Can anyone help me understand this abrivations?
NOC, PR, LOA, IRCC, VO, PPR, VAC amongst others please. Thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by NwanyiOkpa(f): 4:56pm On Aug 13, 2020
fairheart:

Hey miss, how are you doing? ...
Edited: I have found someone.

someone to do what?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by MadamNesta: 5:02pm On Aug 13, 2020
Pls I am married with kids, and got admission into red river college. My Uncle wants to sponsor me with Tuition while I handle my living expenses.

Can he sponsor me?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Osemigho: 5:05pm On Aug 13, 2020
Luckymama:

That’s true. But for some candidates who are older (over 35) all the points from previous education and experience in home country may not be enough. Thus, the reason they are going through this route study route is because they need the extra points from Canadian education and work experience in Canada.
If you are younger than 30, it pays better to do your masters in Nigeria and apply for PR straight.

The process is not straightforward. Each individual needs to evaluate their profile and options themselves. I know candidates that are older than 35, married and have immigrated here or already in the process. Some of them school in Canada and some didn’t. Some worked in Canada and some didn’t. Many province offer provincial nomination for their graduates. Some requires job offer and some don’t.

It is everyone’s job to figure out what applies to them and their profile. If anyone can’t do it, there are many regulated agents in Canada that will collect money to direct you. Please read it again, you are only paying them to direct you.

Studying and working in Canada improves your chances but do not guarantee your stay. All the best.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Naijaforeigner: 5:10pm On Aug 13, 2020
jogojogo:

IRCC= Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

NOC = National Occupation Classification

PPR = Passport request

VO = Visa officer

LOA = Letter of admission

PGWP = Post Graduate Work Permit

SP = Study permit

PR = Permanent residence

VAC = Visa application centers

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 5:13pm On Aug 13, 2020
jogojogo:

NOC - National Occupational Classification
PR - Permanent Residence
LOA - Letter of Acceptance
DLi - Designated Learning Institute
IRCC - Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
VO - Visa Officer
PPR - Passport Request
VAC - Visa Application Center

Bonus Abbreviations
SOP - Statement of Purpose
AIP - Approval-In-Principle
LOE - Letter of Explanation
PA - Principal Applicant
MER - Medical Request
SOA - Statement of Account
LOI - Letter of Introduction
BIL - Biometric Instruction Letter
VFS - Visa Facilitation Service
POF - Proof of Funds
BVL - Biometrics Validity Letter
CSE - Case Specific Enquiry
PGWP - Post Graduate Work Permit
TRV - Temporary Resident Visa
EE - Express Entry
CEC - Canadian Experience Class
PNP - Provincial Nominee Program

8 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) ... (723)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / USA Visit Visa Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.