Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,278 members, 7,826,080 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 09:27 AM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 - Travel (228) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (1173527 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) (231) ... (723) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Luckymama: 9:31pm On Aug 13, 2020
Rach622:
Hello everyone,

Please how does the Spousal work permit work?. Please can anyone explain, for an applicant who intends studying in Canada with a spouse in Nigeria. How soon can the Spouse join? How can he be permitted to work in Canada while applicant is studying.
Thank you

It depends o. I followed the SOWP timeline thread and it can take as short as a few weeks to as long as years. Everything on this immigration journey depends on the whims and caprices of the Ogas at the Embassy.

Basically once you have a Study Permit your spouse is entitled to a work permit. Some people even apply at the same time i.e study permit and visiting visa for student, work permit for spouse. I think that’s a bit risky sha because for most married folks their spouse can serve as a good home tie for them.

Other people apply once they get the student visa and before they travel. Others wait till they get to Canada and apply.

I even know a couple that got the Study permit right at the border. The husband already had a visiting visa and so accompanied his wife. As she was being processed at the border to enter Canada he asked about a work permit for himself and they gave him the forms he filled them and there and then they gave it to him.

So it’s just a matter of each case and how the officer handling it feels.

5 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Spotlights(m): 9:39pm On Aug 13, 2020
Very soon bro.
Never late��

gatsbym4:
IRCC shenk their papa today. Them no give us AIP. No worries. We go dey alright Las Las.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by buggi102kruse: 11:03pm On Aug 13, 2020
Osemigho:

I’ve not heard of any. Banks and other organization are wary to give international student loans because it could increase their bad debt. The Canadian economy is too small to take on such big risks.

Okay, thanks a lot
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by buggi102kruse: 11:26pm On Aug 13, 2020
Osemigho:

Your spouse can join as soon the application is approved. Approval time varies. I have seen less than a year and more than a year. You should also know that spousal open work permit can be rejected too. So ensure you have good home ties.

If approved, your suppose will be given an unrestricted temporary work permit. With that, your spouse can work while you study. Be careful with your expectation, most work permit holders are only able to get “hustle jobs”. All the best.

Can a partner who is on a spousal work permit enrol for a professional course that can boast employability or even take a pgc program as long as they can afford it?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Annettevoke(f): 12:04am On Aug 14, 2020
how do u join this webinars? pls can u share the link next time.
Tonyodg:
the AIPs rained on Indians today... I joined the webinar this morning the visa officer Spoke about them trying their best to send out AIPs saying a lot is still going out to people .. basically she didn’t say what we haven’t heard before all that people should be patient
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Nobody: 12:06am On Aug 14, 2020
Annettevoke:
how do u join this webinars? pls can u share the link next time.
my Indian friend gave me the link so I joined.... I’ll share the link when next cool
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Rach622(f): 6:39am On Aug 14, 2020
Osemigho:

Your spouse can join as soon the application is approved. Approval time varies. I have seen less than a year and more than a year. You should also know that spousal open work permit can be rejected too. So ensure you have good home ties.

If approved, your suppose will be given an unrestricted temporary work permit. With that, your spouse can work while you study. Be careful with your expectation, most work permit holders are only able to get “hustle jobs”. All the best.

Thank you very much
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Rach622(f): 6:40am On Aug 14, 2020
Luckymama:

It depends o. I followed the SOWP timeline thread and it can take as short as a few weeks to as long as years. Everything on this immigration journey depends on the whims and caprices of the Ogas at the Embassy.

Basically once you have a Study Permit your spouse is entitled to a work permit. Some people even apply at the same time i.e study permit and visiting visa for student, work permit for spouse. I think that’s a bit risky sha because for most married folks their spouse can serve as a good home tie for them.

Other people apply once they get the student visa and before they travel. Others wait till they get to Canada and apply.

I even know a couple that got the Study permit right at the border. The husband already had a visiting visa and so accompanied his wife. As she was being processed at the border to enter Canada he asked about a work permit for himself and they gave him the forms he filled them and there and then they gave it to him.

So it’s just a matter of each case and how the officer handling it feels.

I'll follow the thread. Thank you
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by penitential(m): 7:49am On Aug 14, 2020
Congratulations madam. Your case is very special and I can’t rule out GOD factor in that. Wish you the overall goodness of GOD.
Adunola20:
Hallelujah! Jesus has done it! I got my AIP this morning!!!

Submitted for my 2 sons and I: July 5th
Did upfront medicals for myself.
Medical request for the 3 of us: 25th July.
Raised webform to inform them that I did upfront medicals. They acknowledged receipt of my upfront medical sheet.
Medicals passed for my sons only: 4th August, 2020.

Still waiting for them to pass my medicals.
Thanks to everyone who contributed when I had questions. Special thanks to JustMellow, Mcobex, MsJu, Penitential and everyone who contributes on this forum

We will all testify in Jesus Name!

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Adunola20: 8:40am On Aug 14, 2020
penitential:
Congratulations madam. Your case is very special and I can’t rule out GOD factor in that. Wish you the overall goodness of GOD.

Amen. Thank you.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Dameelee: 9:29am On Aug 14, 2020
Good morning house...

Please I want to go do my medicals but I am not so sure of how to go about this, How do i book an appointment other than the phone numbers (I am trying to use IOM Ikeja) the numbers have been busy since yesterday.
Also, are they the ones to give me the payment details?

Please I need someone to put me through this process. Thanks.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Dameelee: 9:43am On Aug 14, 2020
Dameelee:
Good morning house...

Please I want to go do my medicals but I am not so sure of how to go about this, How do i book an appointment other than the phone numbers (I am trying to use IOM Ikeja) the numbers have been busy since yesterday.
Also, are they the ones to give me the payment details?

Please I need someone to put me through this process. Thanks.

or which is better, IOM or Qlife?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 10:17am On Aug 14, 2020
Dameelee:

or which is better, IOM or Qlife?
IOM Ikeja seems very owk

Visit the link below as regards booking for Medicals, payment and other important information at IOM , Ikeja, Lagos,
also move to the next page accordingly to get more of the important info.

https://www.nairaland.com/5818588/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/206
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Dameelee: 10:22am On Aug 14, 2020
Thank you so much

Lekiboboe:

IOM Ikeja seems very owk

Visit the link below as regards booking for Medicals, payment and other important information at IOM , Ikeja, Lagos,
also move to the next page accordingly to get more of the important info.

https://www.nairaland.com/5818588/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/206
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Dameelee: 10:27am On Aug 14, 2020
Have you been able to book an appointment?
What date did they give you cos I heard there is no available date earlier than 27th of August.
Please let me know.

Lekiboboe:

Thanks so much for the detailed information

Well-Appreciated!!!!!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 10:33am On Aug 14, 2020
Dameelee:
Thank you so much

U are Welcome
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Graceee: 10:41am On Aug 14, 2020
Please nairaluck
which bank did you use for western union business solution.
and can they approve tuition of up to 20k cad??

NairaLuck:

You may not need to swap. Check for Western Union business solutions option for payment. If it's there, then complete the steps online by providing your details both student number, then they'll send the payment instruction to your email. Print it out, go to your bank with International Passport, Acceptance letter. Then they'll process it for you at official exchange rate.
That's how I did mine
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Graceee: 10:49am On Aug 14, 2020
please house
which bank is faster for western union business solution and also can they approve tuition of upto 20k cad?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 10:52am On Aug 14, 2020
Dameelee:
Have you been able to book an appointment?
What date did they give you cos I heard there is no available date earlier than 27th of August.
Please let me know.

Medicals done already

Booked on August 10

And i got an Appointment for August 12, 10am (Upfront Medical)

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by gettingbeta(m): 11:15am On Aug 14, 2020
Good day Everyone, Trust we are keeping safe.

Thought i share my updates as regards my own journey. Been a while i made a comment, been busy with work and family and most importantly trying to stay safe.
Applied since May 16th, got BVL and yet to do biometrics and till date no AIP or medical.

However, the good news is i got a scholarship letter on Tuesday from my school for {$5,000}, which i have attached on the web form sent online and there is an another award of $7,000 depending on my performance online in the first semester of the course.

Another funny news is that a mail came this morning that their will be a full refund of tuition for AIP guys who start their online program this fall even if refused a study permit later in the course of study - A REFUND GUARANTEE was set-up for this purpose and they review their policy to reflect this new rule of engagement.

My advice to AIP guys just as some of our Gurus have advised, this guys are playing a fast one kinda in my own opinion o, no body will want to loose the huge in-flow of investment coming into an economy.

These guys are aware of what is about to come, my school UCW stated it clearly that AIP does not guarantee study permit approval and at this they have to find a way to encourage online learning till their applicants get their study permit, i will advise those that get their AIP to reach out to their respective Student Representative to get a full assurance of refund if they start their classes online, if para-venture they get a denial on their study permits.

kindly find excerpts below:

We are introducing the UCW Refund Guarantee so that you can have the confidence to start your studies online while we wait for travel restrictions to ease. You can now start all of your first-term courses in October from the comfort of your own home without having to worry about your visa outcome.

You will be issued a full refund, except for administration fees, if your visa is denied. Read our full refund policy here and our refund procedure here.

If you haven’t applied for a Canadian Study Permit yet, you must do so by Sept. 15, 2020 and submit proof of application to the University.

I sincerely wanted to gamble with $16,000 but the Naija wey we dey now....them no dey telli person!

Hope this helps all hopefuls...

My 2 kobo.

As always...it will end in Praises for all.

5 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Frankrobbn1: 11:23am On Aug 14, 2020
dommakavelli:
That's true, AIP is like recieving medical request. And in this case, AIP is even way better than receiving medical request because applicants now know for sure that they have passed the eligibility test once they receive AIP.
Yes, it is not guaranteed that Visa would be approved after receiving AIP. However, if you receive AIP, it means, you are eligible for a study permit. So, their is an extremely high and significant chance that your visa would be approved. like 95% chance.
Provided your situation did not change e.g. loosing your admission without providing a new admission letter, you can only be denied a visa after AIP, if you failed admissibility requirements such as criminality, medical grounds, submitting false information or documents, and if your sponsorship changed (e.g, death of a sponsor, if you loose your scholarship and you did not provide alternative source of sponsorship, etc). I believe that if your situation changes or if you failed any of the admissibility requirements, you will not be denied right away, VO usually give applicants the opportunity to clarify things.

The question is how often does Nigerian applicants situation changes or fail admissibility requirements? Probably 1 in 1000 chances.

Of course, it is left for applicants to decide how they feel about receiving AIP but I think their's no cause for Alarm.

You can see the link for a list of reasons your application can be denied after AIP (inadmissibility reasons)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/reasons.html

Goodluck everyone!

Well said boss! All fingers crossed.

It will end in praise.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Frankrobbn1: 11:31am On Aug 14, 2020
JustMellow:

Hello Frankrobbn1,

My brother, I come with a white flag. The bolded wasn't the basis that ensued the educative and insightful debate. The subject topic was on the positivity surrounding the FS AIP.

Like you and others have said, which I equally stand with, paying tuition fees and commencing studies online with AIP isn't best advised but shouldn't be totally discredited especially for those that got Medical Request or Passed.

This new rules of IRCC is still a case study and as such nobody is Right nor Wrong. To others too, let's not make the case so. Its a good thing that people are conducting research and sharing insights that can help predict the situation.
Knowledge no dey full basket.

One love bro.

We all might be constituting intellectual speculation about the trending AIP letter. It's only a GCMS note of an applicant with receipt of an AIP can determine the factual information on whether or not ELIGIBILITY review has been passed by the senior immigration officer at the High Commission of Canada.

As always, it will end in praise.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by fratermathy(m): 11:35am On Aug 14, 2020
Frankrobbn1:

We all might be speculative in our insights about the trending AIP letter. It's only a GCMS note of an applicant with receipt of an AIP can determine the factual information on whether or not ELIGIBILITY review has been passed by the senior immigration officer at the High Commission of Canada.

As always, it will end in praise.

Some Indians on another platform ordered their GCMS notes and found that they've since scaled through the eligibility hurdle even before AIPs were issued. Others without AIPs ordered their notes and saw that they were rejected as well (although no formal communication has come).

Maybe Nigerians with AIPs can also do the same and order their GCMS notes before they pay tuition. In any case, many universities have extended the refund deadline to late September or even October. This should ease worries on whether tuition would be refunded in the worst case scenario.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Foski01: 11:44am On Aug 14, 2020
How does one request for GCMS note?

fratermathy:

Some Indians on another platform ordered their GCMS notes and found that they've since scaled through the eligibility hurdle even before AIPs were issued. Others without AIPs ordered their notes and saw that they were rejected as well (although no formal communication has come).

Maybe Nigerians with AIPs can also do the same and order their GCMS notes before they pay tuition. In any case, many universities have extended the refund deadline to late September or even October. This should ease worries on whether tuition would be refunded in the worst case scenario.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Frankrobbn1: 11:44am On Aug 14, 2020
fratermathy:

Exactly! You got it right.

Once Nigerian AIP applicants can lay their hands on their GCMS notes, and notice that ELIGIBILITY review has been passed, it will ease the tension and the back and forth intellectual debate about the AIP letter and registration of classes for fall term 2020. For instance, if after ordering the GCMS note, an applicant observed any of this information in the visa officer's assessment - Review Required (RR), Recommended passed (RP), Recommended Interview (RI). It is highly evident that the visa officer has concerns about the credibility of the application and may likely refuse the application. Thus, in a situation like this, i would advise the applicant to raise a CSE via IRCC webform addressing the concerns that were raised in the GCMS note and chill for a while until the senior immigration officer has declared the ELIGIBILITY as PASSED. With this info on file, they are 99.9% sure of getting an approval.

It will end in praise.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by joyenaholo11(f): 11:52am On Aug 14, 2020
Hi Lekiboboe,

Please have you gotten your request for medicals now?

Lekiboboe:

Medicals done already

Booked on August 10

And i got an Appointment for August 12, 10am (Upfront Medical)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Frankrobbn1: 12:01pm On Aug 14, 2020
Foski01:
How does one request for GCMS note?

See the attached link:

AUTHORIZED IRCC ATIP LINK TO ORDER YOUR GCMS NOTE. Please note that you will require the information of an individual presently residing in Canada to assist you in ordering the case notes. The information needed for the process include the following:

1. Individual full name
2. Mailing Address in Canada
3. Phone Number.
4. Email address

On your own part, you will be required to fill a GCMS consent form using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Upon completing this form, scan, and upload it on IRCC ATIP platform.

The processing fees for GCMS notes goes for $5CAD. Currently, it takes about 15days to receive the notes delivered to you via email due to less rush for it. More importantly, you may use your email address as the requester, so you can receive the notes delivered to you.

In the absence that you don't have any individual presently living in Canada, you can make use of the third party GCMS note websites, which can be found on the internet.

I hope this information is useful to your enquiry.

It will end in praise.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by yr2020: 12:04pm On Aug 14, 2020
Hello seniors in the house,

Please am about applying for a student visa, but I want to know if my two kids can accompany me to Canada and what it takes.

I will appreciate a response.
Thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 12:09pm On Aug 14, 2020
joyenaholo11:
Hi Lekiboboe,

Please have you gotten your request for medicals now?

Nope, I did an UPFRONT Medical
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by mii4all: 12:22pm On Aug 14, 2020
There are financial institutions that provide student loans to international students going to some highly ranked schools in US & Canada. You can check Prodigy finance or MPower financing if your school is listed

buggi102kruse:
House, apologies if my question sounds cranky

Is there room for student loan in Canada for international students to support or pay second-year tuition in a 2yrs program?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by chloe3: 12:27pm On Aug 14, 2020
Frankrobbn1:

See the attached link:

AUTHORIZED IRCC ATIP LINK TO ORDER YOUR GCMS NOTE. Please note that you will require the information of an individual presently residing in Canada to assist you in ordering the case notes. The information needed for the process include the following:

1. Individual full name
2. Mailing Address in Canada
3. Phone Number.
4. Email address

On your own part, you will be required to fill a GCMS consent form using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Upon completing this form, scan, and upload it on IRCC ATIP platform.

The processing fees for GCMS notes goes for $5CAD. Currently, it takes about 15days to receive the notes delivered to you via email due to less rush for it. More importantly, you may use your email address as the requester, so you can receive the notes delivered to you.

In the absence that you don't have any individual presently living in Canada, you can make use of the third party GCMS note websites, which can be found on the internet.

I hope this information is useful to your enquiry.

It will end in praise.

Hi, please i need assistance house. I applied for a study permit since june 6th and got my biometric request on june 7th ever since then no response from the embassy. Now the school have been disturbing me to pay my fees and enroll in an online program which i don't want to, so i differ the admission on the 10th of August. Now am worried if this will affect the status of my application as i have not heard from them and already differed my admission, please i need advice on what to do next
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Anon123: 12:34pm On Aug 14, 2020
chloe3:

Hi, please i need assistance house. I applied for a study permit since june 6th and got my biometric request on june 7th ever since then no response from the embassy. Now the school have been disturbing me to pay my fees and enroll in an online program which i don't want to, so i differ the admission on the 10th of August. Now am worried if this will affect the status of my application as i have not heard from them and already differed my admission, please i need advice on what to do next

Kindly send a webform to make inquiries on why the delay as you haven't gotten an update on your application. How to send a webform, just google "Canadian webform".. The rest is something you can do. Please dont pay a kobo until you are certain about your SP as already stated by someone here..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) (231) ... (723)

USA Visit Visa Part 3 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.