Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,108 members, 7,811,119 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:19 AM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 - Travel (67) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (1156122 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (723) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Phatkayconcept: 11:30pm On May 23, 2020
wongwe:
Good day to the elders in the forum.

I got my acceptance letter from MEMORIAL UNIVERSITY OF NEWFOUNDLAND yesterday to study a 2yrs masters program.

The Tuition fees is $9,666, and i got a funding of $5,000 per annum, which is expected to cover my tuition for the 2 years.

Now here is my bone of contention. I am planning to sponsor myself and i have 2 major questions:

1) I have been self employed since 2019, but i work as a freelancer (which does not relate with my admitted program of study). How will i present myself as my sponsor without implicating myself?

2) How much will be needed to show the availability of proof of funding?

All response will be truly appreciated... Thanks

Hi bro,

Could you check your offer and funding letter carefully, plus check the tution fee very clearly, so you can ascertain the correct fees. Get to know whether the fees were quoted per term or per year. If you are sure that this information is correct as you have quoted, that make sense, however, if you mistakenly quoted the fee, check it out and know how much exactly your financial situation should be.

One year tuition
Living expenses, say CAD 10,000
Others, say CAD 3000

If you ar self sponsored, you have to show viable financial plan to pay subsequent fees.

With your experience in freelancing, I wouldn't mind to connect with you. I am also a freelancer!

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Chimzy4real: 11:57pm On May 23, 2020
Thesis or course based?

wongwe:
Good day to the elders in the forum.

I got my acceptance letter from MEMORIAL UNIVERSITY OF NEWFOUNDLAND yesterday to study a 2yrs masters program.

The Tuition fees is $9,666, and i got a funding of $5,000 per annum, which is expected to cover my tuition for the 2 years.

Now here is my bone of contention. I am planning to sponsor myself and i have 2 major questions:

1) I have been self employed since 2019, but i work as a freelancer (which does not relate with my admitted program of study). How will i present myself as my sponsor without implicating myself?

2) How much will be needed to show the availability of proof of funding?

All response will be truly appreciated... Thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by wongwe: 12:53am On May 24, 2020
Chimzy4real:
Thesis or course based?

Thesis
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by wongwe: 1:09am On May 24, 2020
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Chimzy4real: 1:21am On May 24, 2020
Ok

wongwe:

Thesis
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Richdee1(m): 1:22am On May 24, 2020
wongwe:

Thanks for your explicit response. The Tuition is actually as explained ($9666) and the support is $5k which is renewable after a year.

The major issue is how to present documents that could be viable to show that one could self-sponsor since there is nothing like lands apart from financial statements.

And yes, we can connect to share more knowledge about online gigs.

Bro I've been willing to ask this question
These people that travel out with student visa and with no family over there.. how do the get accommodation.. is it that when they touch down, they stay in hotel for some days then they start looking for houses through agent or what??
Kus I want to leave without going to meet anybody over there
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Dennyjuff: 2:42am On May 24, 2020
Anon123:

1) Why go for paper route wen you can use the online, not saying paper route is bad but online is better and saves you the risk of carrying paper and misplacing essential docs important to you. My 2kobo, online is better cos it gives you the opportunity to monitor your application progress.

2) Yes 20m or more is fine. You can use a FD of 4months and your spouse can be a co-sponsor meaning he or she can include their own POF.. u dont need to move money to an account.

3) it's advisable to go first and den later apply for your family.. your employment later can't serve as a strong home tie but your property or other family members can stand as one

4) deed of ownership
Thanks a lot!!!!
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by TimAke: 5:08am On May 24, 2020
Good morning

I recently got a PhD admission with a partial funding from the University for $5000 and I am trying to raise my POF since I am self-funded. The first year tuition fee estimates to roughly $8500 and with Living expenses set at $10,000. By the end of the month which i intend to submit my application I will be able to show a balance of about $21,000 (5k funding included)

Would this be enough to get my application approved, especially as there is not enough to show that I have funds for subsequent years (PhD is min 3 years). Mind you, my funding letter show that I may be eligible for other scholarships and my supervisor also mentioned that there will be Teaching Assistantship position but this will be when I arrive.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by JustMellow: 5:41am On May 24, 2020
naijaoyibo:
Thanks for your response @JustMellow.

Sponsor is 25 years old. Landed properties in Lagos worth a substantial amount. Investment in Agro-tech companies also worth a substantial amount. History of investment in treasury bills and fixed deposits, but all have been liquidated. Last one was liquidated a few months ago due to the devaluation of Naira. Parents are retired, currently on pension and have a few properties. Pension is their only regular income. I have a registered business name, however business name does not currently match with what I do. Most investment are in Crypto and can be easily converted to Naira and USD. However, I fear depositing one lump sum and using this as proof of funds to avoid money lodgment.

Applicant as at time of application was working in a Tech company. She owns no Landed properties. Applicant is 23 years old. Has a bachelors degree in Business Administration 2nd Class Upper. She has the financial status of a typical young Nigerian worker, about 100-150K Naira Salary. However, I have started to pay some money into one of her accounts to build it up pending when we make the next application. Applicant is also member of multiple organizations and participates in extra-curricular activities.

Note, we already paid part of the fees amounting to about 20,000$CAD

Denial response were as follows:

Thank you for your interest in visiting Canada. After careful review of your student permit application and supporting documentation, I have determined that your application does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR). I am refusing your application on the following grounds:

Pursuant to paragraph 220(a) of the IRPA, I am not satisfied that you have sufficient and available financial resources, without working in Canada, to pay the tuition fees for the course or program of studies that you intend to pursue.

Pursuant to paragraph 220(b) of the IRPA, I am not satisfied that you have sufficient and available financial resources, without working in Canada, to maintain yourself and any family members who are accompanying you during your proposed period of study.

Pursuant to paragraph 220(c) of the IRPA, I am not satisfied that you have sufficient and available financial resources, without working in Canada, to pay the cost of transporting yourself and any family members who are accompanying you to and from Canada.

And yes, we can definitely barter knowledge.

Hello Naijaoyibo,

With a close thought and observation, I tried to weigh my perspective symmetrically and I came to these conclusions below. Mind you, this MAY not be the case but MAY also not be far from it.

1. At 25, the sponsor already has huge cash flows and investment in an hostile environment where the economy is bedridden. Given the age, this comes to mind:

a. It is not impossible given the built of modern age but the question mark is WHERE are the parents in all this - SPONSORSHIP.

b. In assessment, the funds shown and your financial returns per annum from your tangible investments MAY have not been convincing. MAYBE the sitting funds, financial and employment/source of funds documents presented didn't properly demonstrate the cash flows/available balance.

c. They couldn't ascertain/you couldn't demonstrate the primary source of funds that generated the funds at that age/duration of such investments. They question funds simply not only because it isn't real, genuine or sufficient but as a checkmate whether its a proceed from terrorism/crime/criminal funding/sponsorship

My Suggestions:

2. Bring either of your parents into the sponsorship. If possible, portray them as self-employed and run their account for a while coupled with the support of their pension account. If possible, register a business with your family name showing both you and sister as board of directors.

3. You can then act as a co-sponsor. Your funds will then be used to front for your parents. IF possible, it should ONLY be a parent sponsorship.

4. Her account should house her tuition fees balance and LE. It should come from your parents account and not yours.

5. If you still want to be part of the sponsorship, endeavour that your demonstrations don't outweigh that of your parents. Let them be in control.

6. After point 4, you can run your parent account up to 8-9m and yours up to 5-6m. Endeavour to show substantial proof for any lumpsums i.e. contracts, property sales, debit repayment etc. Then the BS of your sister should be included plus her tuition fees receipt.

N.B: These analysis is from my standpoint and not that of the VO.

In other not to derail the thread in regards to the C., I will reach out soonest and look forward to your mentorship?

All the best

4 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by JustMellow: 5:44am On May 24, 2020
NwanyiOkpa:
good evening:

Asking for a friend.

Is it okay for someone to tender a place of voluntary training as his employment requirement? He has an acceptance letter and recommendation letter from this place although he is NOT self-sponsored.

justmellow
austacus
lekiboboe
justwise
everyone.

Hello NwanyiOkpa,

Yes please. The person should endeavour to show proof.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by ndoeyopbennet: 6:55am On May 24, 2020
TimAke:
Good morning

I recently got a PhD admission with a partial funding from the University for $5000 and I am trying to raise my POF since I am self-funded. The first year tuition fee estimates to roughly $8500 and with Living expenses set at $10,000. By the end of the month which i intend to submit my application I will be able to show a balance of about $21,000 (5k funding included)

Would this be enough to get my application approved, especially as there is not enough to show that I have funds for subsequent years (PhD is min 3 years). Mind you, my funding letter show that I may be eligible for other scholarships and my supervisor also mentioned that there will be Teaching Assistantship position but this will be when I arrive.

Your funding offer is quite low. Which school/department is this? Do you know you can mail the Graduate Program Director of the department and see if the funding can be increased? The Director can even talk to Professors to offer you assistantships.

In my case, I got over 20k as living expenses alone but I still asked for more and eventually got an additional 5k.

However, if there's nothing you can do about it, you shouldn't bother so much about showing funds for subsequent years. The VOs are aware that PhD students can always work as Teaching or Research Assistants. You can even apply for external funding such as SSHRC or even Provincial Funding and win them easily. Do well to state your intent to apply for external funding in the S.O.P. which you'll use to apply for your permit.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by ndoeyopbennet: 7:00am On May 24, 2020
Nyenyenwq:
Hello house, I have a friend who has been worried about how to provide his proof of fund documents. He's 28 years, married and due to financial constraints was keen to source for funds. He was able to secure admission for PhD with funding from his supervisor that covers all his expenses including tuition and still has change. He also got another scholarship from faculty and this equally covers all expenses and tuition so he's left with enough money after offsetting all bills.
Note: the funding letter issued to him by the supervisor came from a well known Research Lab and was told to apply for study permit with the letter.

Question: He doesn't have another proof of fund. Can the two documents serve as his proof of funding. Please he needs a reply. Thank you very much all

Do you know his university and department?

He only needs to show his Statement of Account with proof that he can pay for his flight and initial resettlement expenses. An account balance of between N500,000 to N1,500,000 will do. In many cases, funded applicants even get approved with less than N200,000 in their accounts.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Naijaforeigner: 8:14am On May 24, 2020
Richdee1:

Bro I've been willing to ask this question
These people that travel out with student visa and with no family over there.. how do the get accommodation.. is it that when they touch down, they stay in hotel for some days then they start looking for houses through agent or what??
Kus I want to leave without going to meet anybody over there

Once you are about to move to Canada, make sure you post it here https://www.nairaland.com/4933819/living-canada-life-canadian-immigrant

If you are single or coming alone, you will likely get someone to accommodate you for few days before you find your own house. I got someone on Nairaland who helped me settle down and even stood as referee for me when I was moving to my own house.

Some schools also provide two free nights of accommodation for first timers. My school did.

If you are a Christian/Muslim, you can contact your local church/mosque before arriving. They are always willing to help.

Most people also view housing sites few days before coming to Canada. That way, they already have a shortlist of houses they are interested in and the contact info of landlord, so that on arrival, they call the landlord to set up a meet for viewing. You can get a house within 3 days of landing in Canada if you plan well.
Although, if you are coming with your partner and kids, getting accommodation might not be that fast for obvious reasons.

Sometimes, you may also find houses on Nairaland but please make sure you arrive in Canada, see the house with your eyes, meet the landlord and read the terms of agreement before making any payment.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Arnold20(m): 8:43am On May 24, 2020
Thank you for your response.

Tuition fee is about $9000(first semester)and $1600 acceptance fee has been paid.

She didn’t submit study leave because she works in a well known organization which doesn’t give study leave but will allow you to rejoin when you return. The company’s policy on this was attached to the application.

She doesn’t have travel history

Please what can be done better in reapplication?

Pee2Jay9:
Sorry about the refusal but u didn't state how much tuition fee is to be paid viz a viz other expenses anticipated in order to compare the 10m with.. Did she submit study leave letter?

The refusal grounds plenty o, i think the only reason they didn't give is travel history..

Na wa o.. This VOs sef... When do we expect to hear good news na?

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Anon123: 9:00am On May 24, 2020
Dennyjuff:

Thanks a lot!!!!
You are always welcome, check your mail
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Anon123: 9:05am On May 24, 2020
wongwe:

I run Niche site marketing and review of Amazon products. I was admitted to study kinesiology

Where the problem lies is, how do u relate your bsc to your intended masters program. That's the main huddle cos your current work experience does tally with your intended course.. you need to work hard on your sop to show how genuine you are to be able to get funding as well.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Cflow10: 9:20am On May 24, 2020
Frankrobbn1:

It's delightful to extend my congratulatory message on your scholarship award.

With regards to your question, your mom (sponsor) has to show sufficient proof of funds for your tuition and living for the first year and proof of how she can be able to finance for the subsequent years of studies in Canada. Following the above financial illustrations given by you, your mom is expected to have 9.5M closing balance in order to satisfy the visa officer that you will not work to pay for your fees or become a burden to the government of Canada in anyway.

I would advise that you should have adequate proof of funds before thinking of putting in your application. Don't hurry to apply, seek for assistance from close relatives and friends and see how they will be able to help with funds.

It will end in praise.
Good day frank, please can I get a breakdown of why his mum is expected to have at least 9.5M?
Please I wanna relate it to my situation.
Muchos gracias.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by wongwe: 9:22am On May 24, 2020
Anon123:

Where the problem lies is, how do u relate your bsc to your intended masters program. That's the main huddle cos your current work experience does tally with your intended course.. you need to work hard on your sop to show how genuine you are to be able to get funding as well.

My Bachelors degree correlates perfectly with the program i want to study. I can show all the proofs of sources of funds, everything. I am just bothered if its sane to sponsor myself. If self sponsoring has ever gotten anyone a study permit.

Will they be bothered about why digital marketing has been my source of income and not a job related to what i want to go and study. By the way, i finished serving last year.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by jubrilx: 9:26am On May 24, 2020
Hello house, when scanning documents, is it advisable to use a digital scanner or mobile phone scanner?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Nobody: 9:39am On May 24, 2020
wongwe:

Thanks for your explicit response. The Tuition is actually as explained ($9666) and the support is $5k which is renewable after a year.

The major issue is how to present documents that could be viable to show that one could self-sponsor since there is nothing like lands apart from financial statements.

And yes, we can connect to share more knowledge about online gigs.
Congrats! With your explanation, I think about $17k should be enough to show on your SoA: 4k+ balance from the tuition, $10k for housing and about $3k for IHI & MCP.

How long did it take to get a response from them? I also have a pending app with them and seriously looking to get started this fall so that it could form part of my PGWP.

Can I send you a PM, please?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by wongwe: 9:57am On May 24, 2020
9jamyHome:
Congrats! With your explanation, I think about $17k should be enough to show on your SoA: 4k+ balance from the tuition, $10k for housing and about $3k for IHI & MCP.

How long did it take to get a response from them? I also have a pending app with them and seriously looking to get started this fall so that it could form part of my PGWP.

Can I send you a PM, please?

Thanks sure bro
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 10:11am On May 24, 2020
jubrilx:
Hello house, when scanning documents, is it advisable to use a digital scanner or mobile phone scanner?
U can use any of them...

But if u don't wanna spend money scanning documents at Biz center via their Digital Scanner, Use a Mobile Phone Scanner (CamScanner App Preferably)

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Onweke: 10:15am On May 24, 2020
Has anyone received MEDICAL request without Biometrics recently ?

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by EmmySmiles: 10:20am On May 24, 2020
Hello Nairalanders,

Please I will need to get more clarifications on the best way to approach this.

I applied for a diploma course in a Canadian college and I got an email from them for me to pay $500CD before 20th of June so I can get my LOA (Letter Of Acceptance) from the school to enable me apply for visa.

I have engaged a travel agent to help me with the study visa application but he asked if I have traveled before and I said no.

To my greatest surprised, he said I can't get the Visa if I don't have travel history.

My question now is, what's the best way for me to approach this?.. I don't want to pay the $500CD and my visa get denied.

Please fellow Nairalanders advice me on the best way to go about it. I'm ready to pay the $500CD but want to be sure I will get the Visa.

NB: For the records, I have HND and I'm 32 years

Chimzy4real:
Ok

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Chukwuemeka101: 10:22am On May 24, 2020
Lekiboboe:

U can use any of them...

But if u don't wanna spend money scanning documents at Biz center via their Digital Scanner, Use a Mobile Phone Scanner (CamScanner App Preferably)

I think Adobe scan app is still good

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by segzyndpep(m): 10:22am On May 24, 2020
Lekiboboe:

U can use any of them...

How do one scan with phone?snap and upload on the scanning app?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by TimAke: 11:44am On May 24, 2020
segzyndpep:

It takes a photo of the document, you'll crop it however you want and the finish product looks like the usual digital scan. You'll need to download the app to see how it works.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 12:22pm On May 24, 2020
Chukwuemeka101:

I think Adobe scan app is still good
OK... I haven't use that bfor,... But I noticed.
Adobe Scan app needs a Mandatory account registration bfor one can use it , CamScanner also displays options to sign in or up as well when you start the app, but you can skip that step as well to use it without account
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 12:34pm On May 24, 2020
segzyndpep:

@TimAke has talked on how to use the CamScanner app, and u can easily turn Scanned Pictures to .PDF using this app...

Watch the video below to learn how to use it

HOW TO SCAN DOCUMENTS FROM YOUR SMARTPHONE| CAMSCANNER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HMQDzW1eOY

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by segzyndpep(m): 1:22pm On May 24, 2020
TimAke:
It takes a photo of the document, you'll crop it however you want and the finish product looks like the usual digital scan. You'll need to download the app to see how it works.

Thank you God bless.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Anon123: 2:00pm On May 24, 2020
EmmySmiles:

Hello Nairalanders,

Please I will need to get more clarifications on the best way to approach this.

I applied for a diploma course in a Canadian college and I got an email from them for me to pay $500CD before 20th of June so I can get my LOA (Letter Of Acceptance) from the school to enable me apply for visa.

I have engaged a travel agent to help me with the study visa application but he asked if I have traveled before and I said no.

To my greatest surprised, he said I can't get the Visa if I don't have travel history.

My question now is, what's the best way for me to approach this?.. I don't want to pay the $500CD and my visa get denied.

Please fellow Nairalanders advice me on the best way to go about it. I'm ready to pay the $500CD but want to be sure I will get the Visa.

NB: For the records, I have HND and I'm 32 years

LOL
Please ignore all this frauds called travel agent.. nobody on earth can tell u authoritatively you can't get a visa you haven't applied for yet.. pls check your mail

As for the bolded, why go for a diploma when you can go for a PGD/PGC.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) ... (723)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / USA Visit Visa Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.