Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,148 members, 7,811,260 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:44 AM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 - Travel (87) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (1156332 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (723) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by gbjobs1: 3:44pm On Jun 07, 2020
Just to add my 2cents to the debate...

I got admitted to a number of institutions starting in fall 2020 and also attended online webinars organized by them. They all advised not to commence online studies without at least an approval of the study permit application.

Also, I think Canada operates a quota system for visa approval and the denial rate for Nigeria has been increasing over the years due to negative perception.

https://studentimmigration.ca/canada-rejects-most-african-students/

https://studentimmigration.ca/who-gets-a-study-permit-for-canada/

5 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by oma22: 4:05pm On Jun 07, 2020
Patty03:
News update from IRCC says one can start courses online without study permit!
https://www.cicnews.com/2020/06/coronavirus-ircc-updates-for-international-students-0614584.html#gs.83qp3o

But it will not count for your PGWP.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by owee: 4:46pm On Jun 07, 2020
oma22:

True. That is a very valid print. That would be like carrying out any online degree. Being able to get a visa/study permit should be a key determinant.

4 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by owee: 4:51pm On Jun 07, 2020
gbjobs1:
Just to add my 2cents to the debate...

I got admitted to a number of institutions starting in fall 2020 and also attended online webinars organized by them. They all advised not to commence online studies without at least an approval of the study permit application.

Also, I think Canada operates a quota system for visa approval and the denial rate for Nigeria has been increasing over the years due to negative perception.

https://studentimmigration.ca/canada-rejects-most-african-students/

https://studentimmigration.ca/who-gets-a-study-permit-for-canada/

This appears quite true.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Slayyy001: 5:19pm On Jun 07, 2020
NairaLuck:
Good morning everyone, thanks for immeasurable assistance so far.
I need some clarification, I would be getting my admission letter next week cause I deferred from Fall to Winter.
I have finished writing my SOP, in the list of documents do I have to notarize my Certificates, Statement of Results, Transcripts, WAEC result?
Also for police certificate, where can I get it? And what's the life span of Police clearance?

I want to get these above documents ready before I start working on my sponsors documents. My sponsor is my Cousin, same Surname and he's been supporting me all these while.

Thanks as I await your most reliable contributions

Hello everyone . Pls I need a post graduate certificate program / colleges outsid Ontario for law or legal studies that I can enroll for in January 2021.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Luckymama: 5:19pm On Jun 07, 2020
Patty03:
News update from IRCC says one can start courses online without study permit!
https://www.cicnews.com/2020/06/coronavirus-ircc-updates-for-international-students-0614584.html#gs.83qp3o

Please note: if you start online studies without a study permit, the time spent doing those classes will not count towards your PGWP. Thus if for instance your program is only 1 year and you do one semester Sept tonDec online in Nigeria without your student visa, you will not be entitled to a PGWP because the program is no longer up to 1 year.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by ralfudoh(m): 6:16pm On Jun 07, 2020
What if its a 3yrs advanced diploma, first year is online, then 2 other years will be on campus. Or what if its a 2yrs PGC/PGD and you do the first year online and the second year on campus.
Will it still be a problem? I am just asking sha. What do I know?
oma22:

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Pee2Jay9: 7:29pm On Jun 07, 2020
I think Jessica made a good point and like she said, everybody mustn't accept her advice but she infact was right that studying online proves that the applicant is genuine.
We are mostly not genuine students because we just want to study and immigrate thereafter and that's why we're concerned with PGWP, etc. So only genuine students whose aim is to get Canadian knowledge should use her advice
PS - when people give suggestions or advices, let's not attack them or their points. Just take it or leave it. I'm sure she stands to gain nothing by writing that so let's not make people feel like there's no need 'wasting' their time here, especially people that have gone ahead.. It takes a good heart to look back and give when you may not benefit anything as it were #myOpinion

10 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Naijaforeigner: 7:31pm On Jun 07, 2020
jessicajessa:
In this debate, everyone is right, we just have to be more open minded!

Not only schools want your money, everyone wants your money (including me lol)....so focus more on proofing your genuiness and increasing your chances ok? Obviously the advise wasn't intended for everyone...but those who have an open mind....do a situation analysis, focus on your pros and cons, then decide.

You have raised valid points and I always like people who bring different perspectives to issues. It is not a bad idea.

My only fear for students who decide to take the bold step of doing the online course, is that, they will have to pay fees.
In most schools, you have a time frame to withdraw to get a fee refund. If

If a student's study permit gets refused (this is a possibility) even after paying fees, the student might not be able to ask for refund anymore because at the time of refusal, the time frame to withdraw from course might have passed.

Now, because time frame to get fee refund has passed, he/she will be forced to continue online. Now, lets assume the student gets the study permit on second attempt, but by this time, more than 50% of his/her studies had been spent outside Canada, will that still count towards his PGWP?

What even happens if a student pays and he gets refused back to back because you and I know these IRCC guys are so unpredictable? It means a student might end up paying huge amount in naira to get Canadian online studies from Nigeria?

The upside like you rightly mentioned, is it shows one is a genuine student and applicants can leverage on this opportunity by paying fees, attending courses online and so forth to prove they are.

Also, If an applicant gets refused, It is a good ground for getting an immigration lawyer. I mean, why refuse a student after paying fees, using his own money to pay for wifi and so forth.

The truth is, it is a very brave and bold move. This life is for the brave and risk takers innit?

My suggestion, If you are an applicant and you are thinking of taking this bold move, please speak to your school's immigration officer before making the move. I am actually surprised they are allowing students take lectures without study permit. Maybe there is something they are not saying.

9 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by mryoung16: 7:44pm On Jun 07, 2020
[quote author=Naijaforeigner post=90417560]

You have raised valid points and I always like people who bring different perspectives to issues. It is not a bad idea.

My only fear for students who decide to take the bold step of doing the online course, is that, they will have to pay fees.

If a student's study permit gets refused (this is a possibility) even after paying fees, the student might not be able to ask for refund anymore because at the time of refusal, the time frame to withdraw from course might have passed.

Now, because time frame to get fee refund has passed, he/she will be forced to continue online. Now, lets assume the student gets the study permit on second attempt, but by this time, more than 50% of his/her studies had been spent outside Canada, will that still count towards his PGWP?

What even happens if a student pays and he gets refused back to back because you and I know these IRCC guys are so unpredictable? It means a student might end up paying huge amount in naira to get Canadian online studies from Nigeria?

The upside like you rightly mentioned, is it shows one is a genuine student and applicants can leverage on this opportunity by paying fees, attending courses online and so forth to prove they are.

Also, If an applicant gets refused, It is a good ground for getting an immigration lawyer. I mean, why refuse a student after paying fees, using his own money to pay for wifi and so forth.

The truth is, it is a very brave and bold move. This life is for the brave and risk takers innit?

My suggestion, If you are an applicant and you are thinking of taking this bold move, please speak to your school's immigration officer before making the move. I am actually surprised they are allowing students take lectures without study permit. Maybe there is something they are not saying.

You are very smart bro..Exactly my thought. They have bin busy advising students on online courses without any assurances of getting a study permit after paying
tuition. knowing fully well how Canadian immigration behaves.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Olayinkaji(m): 8:00pm On Jun 07, 2020
Naijaforeigner:

My thoughts too and the issue is that even the fees are not been reduced to accommodate online excesses. It better I get the permit before starting online class. Its just time frame I am scared of. Hopefully the vfs office opens this month, earlier.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by gbjobs1: 9:30pm On Jun 07, 2020
The truth is always bitter. There is no brave and bold move. Take what CIC tells u on their official site to be true and accurate. Canadian universities and immigration are totally different establishments and Canadian immigration rules are no joke. It's illegal to study without a study permit. And even if CIC is officially relaxing that rule, it's not advisable to venture at all. All the best.

3 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by mantleouchtele: 9:41pm On Jun 07, 2020
Hello experts,
We all know that VFS is still closed and Passport Submission cannot be done even if you get a final decision that your application is approved.

In this case can you start studying online when you get a passport request? or you still have to wait still you submit your passport and get your port of entry letter of introduction before you can start your online studies?

By IRCC requirements in this Covid period, when can you start studying online. Passport request or port of entry letter of introduction?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by gbjobs1: 10:02pm On Jun 07, 2020
mantleouchtele:
Hello experts,
We all know that VFS is still closed and Passport Submission cannot be done even if you get a final decision that your application is approved.

In this case can you start studying online when you get a passport request? or you still have to wait still you submit your passport and get your port of entry letter of introduction before you can start your online studies?

By IRCC requirements in this Covid period, when can you start studying online. Passport request or port of entry letter of introduction?

Based on the online webinars I attended, it's still not clear how CIC would handle visas and permits due to closed VFS offices and travel restrictions. But one thing CIC assured applicants was extended deadlines. Also, newly admitted students are required to, at the least, upload their "CIC letter of introduction" as part of the enrolment and registration process before studies online.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by milkytins(m): 10:20pm On Jun 07, 2020
gbjobs1:

Based on the online webinars I attended, it's still not clear how CIC would handle visas and permits due to closed VFS offices and travel restrictions. But one thing CIC assured applicants was extended deadlines. Also, newly admitted students are required to, at the least, upload their "CIC letter of introduction" as part of the enrolment and registration process before studies online.
Is there any info on when VFS offices will open? Can one still go ahead and pay tution deposit for Fall 2020? Cos my own deposit fee is $12,100.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by aliadi2: 11:06pm On Jun 07, 2020
Hello everyone am new here and i got admitted into Holland college . i am planning to apply for my study permit but my school said all our courses are online for fall semester . Please what are the checklist of document i need to apply because i am seeing police character and medical and i dont have that.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Cersei: 4:17am On Jun 08, 2020
Hello all,

Please seniors in the house, do you guys think its worth it to apply now for canada study visa for fall admission of Sept 1 to defer to next intake to be safe. What is the usual timeline for approval/denial especially with Covid.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 4:38am On Jun 08, 2020
aliadi2:
Hello everyone am new here and i got admitted into Holland college . i am planning to apply for my study permit but my school said all our courses are online for fall semester . Please what are the checklist of document i need to apply because i am seeing police character and medical and i dont have that.
@aliadi2
Congratulations on ur Admission

Visit the link below for :
LIST OF DOCUMENTS FOR CANADA STUDY VISA APPLICATION
https://www.nairaland.com/4773130/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/228#75475575

Police Character Certificate is gotten @ Central Criminal Registry Force C.I.D. Annex Alagbon Close Ikoyi Lagos
- u are to go there with ur International Passport & a Passport Photograph, I think the price ranges from #5K to #10K

As regards Medicals,
Its when u have submitted ur application and u av done biometrics that's when you will be notified to go for Medicals & u can also do medicals Upfront if u wish I. e doing medicals bfor CIC tell u so
Note: The medicals are done only in CIC Approved Medical Centers in Lagos & Abuja
Which are IOM MHAC (both in Lagos & Abuja) and Q-Life (with branches only in Lagos @ Victoria Island & Ikeja)

Make sure u take ur time to get the required documents and ask questions here in the forum before submitting ur study visa application

All da best!!!!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Naijaforeigner: 6:45am On Jun 08, 2020
Pee2Jay9:
I think Jessica made a good point and like she said, everybody mustn't accept her advice but she infact was right that studying online proves that the applicant is genuine.

PS - when people give suggestions or advices, let's not attack them or their points. Just take it or leave it.

The bolded is spot on.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by WIHELMINA(f): 7:34am On Jun 08, 2020
Good Morning, Please can anyone suggest schools with affordable tuition fee that i can apply for postgraduate program for Jan 2021 intake. I have a BSc in Chemistry.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Kunleraji(m): 7:50am On Jun 08, 2020
mcobex:
There's no nothing to worry about

Good morning sir,please is it possible to help me review my SOP?
I’ll appreciate it sir
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Kunleraji(m): 7:51am On Jun 08, 2020
Frankrobbn1:

You may not have seen much approvals lately since the beginning of the part 17 thread. This is because everything has time and season. A time to cry and a time to laugh. A time to grieve and a time to dance. Funny enough, the refusals now can't be compared with the number of refusals we got late last year starting September 2019 - December 2019. This period of time was such a horrible experience for every member of this group. However applicants were still committed to the process and continued with their re-application.

My honest advise based on my personal experiences to prospective applicants who were recently delayed of their visas, is to get up on their feet again. Take this time to reflect, refuel and refocus on your application, try to do something different in your next application if it would warrant you including relevant documents/informations to substantiate that your situation has changed.

Reflecting and analysing the whole situation would help you see your mistakes in good light. Always learn from your past mistakes by re-strategizing and improving on your application. I spoke to a few number of applicants yesterday, having had an educative and interesting conversations with them about their delayed applications and documents attached, I learnt that some of these applicants were also architect to their problems. It's either there were going for a lower qualiifation, or there is no sufficient ties in the application. But that's by the way.

I have already seen so many people backing off due to the sudden refusals from IRCC. Please distinguished ladies and giants, Never give up on your dreams and always remind yourself how important and significant this Canadian journey is to you. The incentives that accompanies it and if not, for the sake of your kids.

I believe this would give you the energy and strength to push further the next time. All hope is never lost my people, stop nursing the thoughts of where you could have been if your Visa was granted, and start thinking of where to be. It is said once there is life; there is hope. You have to find an inner encouragement or motivation to get back up and start again. Be consistent as possible and have this at the back of your mind that "A knock down is not a knock out and you are not truly defeated until you’ve given up."

Ask yourself What Do I Need To Do Differently?: At this stage you ought to have pointed out the reasons why your visa was refused by the visa officer. What have you done wrong?, and what you should have done. This is an opportunity given by the visa officer to start better. Re-strategize and give it another push. Ask yourself the second time “what do I need to acquire, stop or improve on”? in an effort to better your approval chances.

If you want to get back on your feet and on track as soon as possible, you need others. Canada immigration is not something you can do alone, you need professional advice that will guide you towards the right path. If you face any difficulty in your application, or have concerns, don't hesitate to reach out here for counsel. Once you're done crafting an award winning SOP/LOE, try to contact some of the knowledgeable gurus here to vet and make appropriate recommendations in the letter to be sure you've done something new and expecting a different result (approval).

I believe the time for approval rains would come in a short while from now.

Finally, do not underestimate the power and grace of God Almighty whenever you put in your application. He still remains the author and finisher and he has absolute control over the visa officers at the embassy.

Keep faith guys and remain positive.

As always, It will end in praise!

Good morning sir,please is it possible to help me review my SOP?
I’ll appreciate it sir
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Kunleraji(m): 8:21am On Jun 08, 2020
Please I am about to submit my application,Can I get any of the gurus here to review my SOP and also Is there a format for canadian study permit CV?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by HazzanTazzan(m): 8:24am On Jun 08, 2020
Time to make this section my second home
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 9:08am On Jun 08, 2020
Kunleraji:
Please I am about to submit my application,Can I get any of the gurus here to review my SOP and also Is there a format for canadian study permit CV?

As regards the Canadian CV, Canada Makes use of RESUME, Not CV

Find attached samples of Canadian Style Résumé

One is in .docx & , one in .jpg

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by jubrilx: 9:28am On Jun 08, 2020
Hello house, is it necessary to use Canada style for CV?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 9:56am On Jun 08, 2020
jubrilx:
Hello house, is it necessary to use Canada style for CV?
To apply for Jobs in Canada, yes u need a Canadian Style Resume........ Not CV..

U might need to use extracts from ur CV to make a Canadian Resume Style...
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Lekiboboe: 10:16am On Jun 08, 2020
WIHELMINA:
Good Morning, Please can anyone suggest schools with affordable tuition fee that i can apply for postgraduate program for Jan 2021 intake. I have a BSc in Chemistry.
These are affordable and cheap universities in Canada
1.Brandon University, Manitoba
2.Canadian Mennonite University, Manitoba
3.Dominican University College, Ottawa
4.Memorial University of Newfoundland
5.Simon Fraser University, British Columbia
6.University of Prince Edward Island
7.University of Winnipeg, Manitoba
8.University of New Brunswick
9.University of St. Paul, Ontario
10.Southern Alberta Institute of Technology, Alberta
11.University of Saskatchewan

U will need to visit the school website (google)to compare the tuition of the respective skools and also check for Masters degree programs related to ur Chemistry Degree...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by mrtastee: 10:28am On Jun 08, 2020
Same here. Let's hook up.
aliadi2:
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Marh: 11:03am On Jun 08, 2020
Good Morning Everyone

I applied twice for study permit Visa last year but I didn't get it, I want to put in another application by the end of this month. I would need assistance so to review my application this time around.
Thank you
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Austacus: 1:20pm On Jun 08, 2020
Naijaforeigner:

Bro ring me, this is too sad to believe.
It's a daylight rip off.
Remember, if you attend just one class and your name appears in class register, or you do assignment or test, your fee is automatically nonrefundable even if Jupiter will fall.

So Why would anyone take the risk? SCHOOL DONT GIVE VISA NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCES. It's at the discretion of IRCC.

The two weeks timeframe of refundable fee doesn't mean you have to attend classes, assignment, test or discussion etc... pls be guided.

Act accordingly, don't be too desperate and feel you're playing the smart card.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 by Breezy90(m): 1:21pm On Jun 08, 2020
Most medical related degrees would need a research supervisor, most times it is not easy to get one...How do one bypass this stage..I have a bpharm degree.

(1) (2) (3) ... (84) (85) (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) ... (723)

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / USA Visit Visa Part 3

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.