Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,175 members, 7,957,396 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 12:00 PM

Love Has Always Been Selfish. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Love Has Always Been Selfish. (939 Views)

How Do You Feel When The One You Truly Love Has High Body Count? / The Woman I Love Has Three Children / 'You Are A Selfish Bastard One Minute Man'- Unsatisfied Lady Curses Guy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Love Has Always Been Selfish. by Randy100: 7:03pm On Apr 27, 2020
I was arguing with a friend, AFONAMARO who erroneously claimed that love seeks to please and make others happy and the truth is that most people still think in this erroneously way. Love has always been selfish from the days of Adam and it is due to condition that is attached to it. When I first saw my girl, I was attracted by those beautiful breast, some people will call it lust, while I call it love, the point is that something must attract you to the opposite sex and that makes you a selfish lover. The truth is that you are not wrong, you are just exhibiting one of the features of love and that is being selfish. My point is that there is nothing like unconditional love.
Lets analyze, most of the thing that people claim that are unconditional love.

1) The love of God: Christians have always claimed that God's love is unconditional. The truth is that God want us to be with him in heaven, that is why there is celebration in heaven when one soul repent on earth. God want us to be with him in heaven, so he shows us love by sending his only soul to die and save us.

2) The love of a mother: The reason why a mother will do everything for his child is because, she want the child to become somebody in life and help her in old age. That is selfish.
Thank you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Has Always Been Selfish. by Stephenomozzy(m): 7:25pm On Apr 27, 2020
Life is not Black and White, Mr. Man. There's always a grey area.

Meanwhile, the analogy you gave about beauty and breasts is pure lust, and shouldn't be called love. Lust is selfish and conditional.

Love however, is not selfish, but it also has conditions for it to become healthy - conditional also.

It's possible to grow from lusting into love too, after you've tasted the beauty and breasts, obviously you'll wanna move on to the next one. But sometimes, during that period you may begin to like something else about the same person (often inmaterial) - it could be their personality, intelligence or sense or maturity.....

About the love of a mother being selfish... Ah.. You funny o.. That's so one was thinking.... I mean a model mother, there's no better depiction of love than that of a true mother (nor be born-pikin o) asin Mother!

Do you love your job/skill? Should we say you're selfish also for getting salary or paid for your services?

...I dey come.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Has Always Been Selfish. by Randy100: 10:16pm On Apr 27, 2020
Stephenomozzy:
Life is not Black and White, Mr. Man. There's always a grey area.

Meanwhile, the analogy you gave about beauty and breasts is pure lust, and shouldn't be called love. Lust is selfish and conditional.

Love however, is not selfish, but it also has conditions for it to become healthy - conditional also.

It's possible to grow from lusting into love too, after you've tasted the beauty and breasts, obviously you'll wanna move on to the next one. But sometimes, during that period you may begin to like something else about the same person (often inmaterial) - it could be their personality, intelligence or sense or maturity.....

About the love of a mother being selfish... Ah.. You funny o.. That's so one was thinking.... Uwint a model mother, there's no better depiction of love than that of a true mother (nor me born-pikin o) asin Mother!

Do you love your job/skill? Should we say you're selfish also for getting salary or paid for your services?

...I dey come.
wonderful contribution. The point am trying to make is that once something has a condition, it is now selfish. There is a reason you got to love something whether it is material( physical outlook) or Immaterial(intelligence or what have you).
I love my job but the question should be why? The reason is because I get satisfaction and salary. The condition there are salary and satisfaction. If you remove it, there won't be any love. Love has always been selfish.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Has Always Been Selfish. by Stephenomozzy(m): 11:33pm On Apr 27, 2020
Then it's as good as saying life in itself is a futile and selfish venture!

We wake up and try to be healthy so we can live long, when people are dying of hunger..ah, that's selfish!

I am replying your statement when I should be sleeping now, lol (maybe this is not selfish? Because I have sacrificed my sleep? ) But it's selfish! Because I'm suffering my body just to allow my mind think of a reply to you.

My good Sir, humanity is conditional..so it is understandable that within the context of our abilities there are many things that will always be conditional, they may appear selfish when viewed from one angle, but sometimes, that seeming selfishness benefits others.

I see a fine woman begging to feed her kids, I was wowed by her beauty (selfish) and then I gave her enough to feed for a month...she and the kids would feel the "LOVE" that I showed in spite that it was selfish (in the context of your argument).

So, you can't take conditions out of action, but you can't always tag all our actions as being selfish
Re: Love Has Always Been Selfish. by Randy100: 7:45am On Apr 28, 2020
Stephenomozzy:
Then it's as good as saying life in itself is a futile and selfish venture!

We wake up and try to be healthy so we can live long, when people are dying of hunger..ah, that's selfish!

I am replying your statement when I should be sleeping now, lol (maybe this is not selfish? Because I have sacrificed my sleep? ) But it's selfish! Because I'm suffering my body just to allow my mind think of a reply to you.

My good Sir, humanity is conditional..so it is understandable that within the context of our abilities there are many things that will always be conditional, they may appear selfish when viewed from one angle, but sometimes, that seeming selfishness benefits others.

I see a fine woman begging to feed her kids, I was wowed by her beauty (selfish) and then I gave her enough to feed for a month...she and the kids would feel the "LOVE" that I showed in spite that it was selfish (in the context of your argument).

So, you can't take conditions out of action, but you can't always tag all our actions as being selfish
Yes, life is futile and selfish, nothing is truer than the above statement you made.

The above bolden statement means that you are in agreement with me, that there is always condition. It is true that there is benefit, but that is not what I am pointing out.

The above example you gave about a beautiful woman is a clear example of love being selfish, your condition of giving is beauty, while the woman and the kids felt happy and probably love you back because of the money you gave them. The money to them is the condition to love you back or the money made them felt love. All the same it is still the same selfish venture.

All our ation toward others whether knowingly or unknowingly has a selfish conotation. I don't know if all our action is selfish. Thank you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Has Always Been Selfish. by partnerinbiz3: 7:53am On Apr 28, 2020
let me park here.
Re: Love Has Always Been Selfish. by partnerinbiz3: 7:56am On Apr 28, 2020
let me park here.
Re: Love Has Always Been Selfish. by Stephenomozzy(m): 8:05am On Apr 28, 2020
The above example you gave about a beautiful woman is a clear example of love being selfish, your condition of giving is beauty, while the woman and the kids felt happy and probably love you back because of the money you gave them. The money to them is the condition to love you back or the money made them felt love. All the same it is still the same selfish venture.

Hmm....okay, let me understand your near and distant interpretation of the term "Selfish".....

Are there measures of selfishness? Is there a scale, degree or spectrum one can use to measure how selfish any action is against another?

It's good we both agree in the "conditionality" of love, hate, and every possible class of human emotions.

The example I gave is not Love. The only people who felt loved in that scenario are the recipients....My action was borne out of selfish lust not Love (just because I gave).

Love is a very vast, very vague and most often misunderstood.

Randy100:

I look forward to your submission on my bolded statement. Cheers
Re: Love Has Always Been Selfish. by Stephenomozzy(m): 8:08am On Apr 28, 2020
partnerinbiz3:
let me park here.

Lol..oga contribute something e... the discussion no dey sweet you?
Re: Love Has Always Been Selfish. by partnerinbiz3: 8:13am On Apr 28, 2020
Stephenomozzy:

Lol..oga contribute something e... the discussion no dey sweet you?

You won't like my postulations.

I wouldn't want to drive you to despondency.

cheers.

1 Like

Re: Love Has Always Been Selfish. by Stephenomozzy(m): 8:23am On Apr 28, 2020
Baba throway grammar na...I wouldn't like your postulations, but I'll surely respect and learn from it..... Unless your submission will be the equivalent of the theory of relativity, then e no go reach the point of driving me to despopo.

Lol... I'm just kidding o... i figure we can have fun while learning
Re: Love Has Always Been Selfish. by Randy100: 8:40am On Apr 28, 2020
Stephenomozzy:

Hmm....okay, let me understand your near and distant interpretation of the term "Selfish".....

Are there measures of selfishness? Is there a scale, degree or spectrum one can use to measure how selfish any action is against another?

It's good we both agree in the "conditionality" of love, hate, and every possible class of human emotions.

The example I gave is not Love. The only people who felt loved in that scenario are the recipients....My action was borne out of selfish lust not Love (just because I gave).

Love is a very vast, very vague and most often misunderstood.

I look forward to your submission on my bolded statement. Cheers
Being selfish means that you are concern about personal pleasure or profit and the opposite is given as selfless. The truth is that the definition is not workable in reality because there is nothing like selfless if we must analyze carefully every man's action towards one another. I have problem with that definition.

Based on the scale of measuring selfishness, I don't know if there is a scale but I know that there is a degree to selfishness. There are selfishness that are very obvious to all and sundry.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Has Always Been Selfish. by Stephenomozzy(m): 8:46am On Apr 28, 2020
Randy100:

Based on the scale of measuring selfishness, I don't know if there is a scale but I know that there is a degree to selfishness. There are selfishness that are very obvious to all and sundry.

Hmm....Okay, so there's no good or bad, neutral or senile degree of selfishness?

We already agree that there's no selfless (unconditional) action....but as the general perception of the word is often negative, I was thinking you'd have a method of classifying certain actions over others.

Or are all good deeds bad in that they're selfish?
Re: Love Has Always Been Selfish. by Randy100: 8:55am On Apr 28, 2020
Stephenomozzy:

Hmm....Okay, so there's no good or bad, neutral or senile degree of selfishness?

We already agree that there's no selfless (unconditional) action....but as the general perception of the word is often negative, I was thinking you'd have a method of classifying certain actions over others.

Or are all good deeds bad in that they're selfish?
That an action is selfish doesn't make it bad. There are good selfish action. There are also people who are also selfish and unknowingly to them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Love Has Always Been Selfish. by Stephenomozzy(m): 8:59am On Apr 28, 2020
Randy100:
That an action is selfish doesn't make it bad. There are good selfish action. There are also people who are also selfish and unknowingly to them.

Then maybe "Selfish" is not the word. I'll lean towards "Conditional".

Thanks for your topic. It was interesting discussing it with you, respectfully.
Re: Love Has Always Been Selfish. by Randy100: 9:01am On Apr 28, 2020
Stephenomozzy:

Then maybe "Selfish" is not the word. I'll lean towards "Conditional".

Thanks for your topic. It was interesting discussing it with you, respectfully.
Lol. Maybe. Thank you too. It is my pleasure.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

50k Airtime Giveaway (1k For 50 People) / The Era Of Playing Hard To Get Is Over / The Cure To Malaria In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.