Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this (4304 Views)

Ooni of ife, Oba of Benin and Oba of Lagos greeting people [PICS] / The Significance Of Oranmiyan Staff And Ife Immovable Heritage Resource. / Oba Of Benin And His Luxury Rolls Royce Spotted At An Event In Edo State. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by gregyboy(m): 1:33pm On Apr 29, 2020
It was all a political stunt to claim supiority as the topmost ruler among the chief of council in the former western region

The oba had accepted the Oduduwa genealogy inother to claim his political ambitions towards the chairmanship of the council of chiefs in the western region

There was never the coming of oromiyan to benin it was just a myth coined by the oba of benin to trace the obaship to yorubas for his political aspirations

The first attachment is a list of Obas compiled at different times. the circle indicates a list from 1898.. There is no mention of Oranmiyan there, till the Talbot list from 1930..
The second attachment confirms Talbot as being the first person to decieve the Yorubas that Oduduwa/Oramiyan founded Benin Kingdom.

Even if we want ro believe this connection

There was no written account given by both party
Before 1800

The excavation carried out at orun oba ado was found empty

The benin and ife art are way not alike unlike owo artwork which has same semblance with ife

Roupell list of obaship was composed at 1898 a year after benin invasion and the biggest part of benin history oromiyan was not even told to Roupell in his book untill after the 1900 when the emerge of oromiyan into benin history by talbot

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by MightySparrow: 1:49pm On Apr 29, 2020
Black and dishonesty are 5 and 6. Soon they will say the oyinbo didn't colonize africa

2 Likes

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by gregyboy(m): 2:02pm On Apr 29, 2020
MightySparrow:
Black and dishonesty are 5 and 6. Soon they will say the oyinbo didn't colonize africa

What do you mean..........

Am just saying the fact with prove bring yours
Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by macof(m): 2:32pm On Apr 29, 2020
Lol. This one is not normal

2 Likes

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by RedboneSmith(m): 2:42pm On Apr 29, 2020
The greatest of the Benin Oba, Oba Ewuare I is also missing from Roupell's list. Which means Ewuare I too was concocted by Talbot and never existed, abi?

4 Likes

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by TAO11(f): 3:34pm On Apr 29, 2020
gregyboy:
It was all a political stunt to claim supiority as the topmost ruler among the chief of council in the former western region

The oba had accepted the Oduduwa genealogy inother to claim his political ambitions towards the chairmanship of the council of chiefs in the western region

There was never the coming of oromiyan to benin it was just a myth coined by the oba of benin to trace the obaship to yorubas for his political aspirations

The first attachment is a list of Obas compiled at different times. the circle indicates a list from 1898.. There is no mention of Oranmiyan there, till the Talbot list from 1930..
The second attachment confirms Talbot as being the first person to decieve the Yorubas that Oduduwa/Oramiyan founded Benin Kingdom.

Even if we want ro believe this connection

There was no written account given by both party
Before 1800

The excavation carried out at orun oba ado was found empty

The benin and ife art are way not alike unlike owo artwork which has same semblance with ife

Roupell list of obaship was composed at 1898 a year after benin invasion and the biggest part of benin history oromiyan was not even told to Roupell in his book untill after the 1900 when the emerge of oromiyan into benin history by talbot

https://www.nairaland.com/4229551/know-yoruba-race-originated-benin/1#88973643

AND

https://www.nairaland.com/4229551/know-yoruba-race-originated-benin/1#88962134

Kisses kiss

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by gregyboy(m): 3:46pm On Apr 29, 2020
RedboneSmith:
The greatest of the Benin Oba, Oba Ewuare I is also missing from Roupell's list. Which means Ewuare I too was concocted by Talbot and never existed, abi?

The names omited by roupell was completed by esekhure
And oromiyan again was omitted
Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by gregyboy(m): 3:53pm On Apr 29, 2020
RedboneSmith:

You nor sabi read

Check it well it wasnt spelt Ewuare but it was there
Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by gregyboy(m): 3:56pm On Apr 29, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Check well this time with my arrow

He spelt it as ebowani

RedboneSmith bam waiting for your next counter
Am doing a vigorous research on benin-ife possibilities so i wont you to bring fact thats is new but well documented to ascertain discussion so when am writing i can point out this fact

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by TAO11(f): 4:10pm On Apr 29, 2020
gregyboy:

The names omited by roupell was completed by esekhure
And oromiyan again was omitted

Oh now it contains oMmiSsIoN, and no longer a gospel authentic list. grin cheesy

What about? Esekhure simply accepted almost all the lies made-up by Talbot

Hahahahaha!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by RamessesIV(m): 4:18pm On Apr 29, 2020
But Benin and Yoruba's have always had history I don't really get this argument of supremacy though,in Benin myths I think a benin prince came from ife or so,and the art of bronze casting was brought from ife too,and even in the idia myth when her son went mad after wearing aruahan's beads they called a Yoruba babalawo to cure him,am not sure of the records but this is the little I know from Benin-yoruba historical connections and I think Lagos was once a war camp for Benin soldiers,again these are from the little history I have read

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by TAO11(f): 4:24pm On Apr 29, 2020
RamessesIV:
But Benin and Yoruba's have always had history I don't really get this argument of supremacy though,in Benin myths I think a benin prince came from ife or so,and the art of bronze casting was brought from ife too,and even in the idia myth when her son went mad after wearing aruahan's beads they called a Yoruba babalawo to cure him,am not sure of the records but this is the little I know from Benin-yoruba historical connections and I think Lagos was once a war camp for Benin soldiers,again these are from the little history I have read

Exactly! Except that no historian regard such Bini account as myth.

Moreover, I know you to an extent that I am most certain that you as a person do no harbour such low-self esteem to cause you to feel inferior because of the existence of such accounts.

There are however some of your own? --- such as ghostwon, gregyboy, davidnazee, samuk, and to some extent AreaFada2, among others --- who are so miserably riddled by inferiority complex, low-self esteem, delusions of grandeur, and insecurity --- that they will go to any extent (including insulting Benin Kings sometimes) just to dissociate themselves from the real-world of sanity.

So my engagement with them is actually in the context of rehabilitation (or put differently in religious context --- reviving lost souls).

To achieve this end, I sometimes adopt the idea of tough love, in case you see me go hard. It's all for their good.

And so far, I and other on my team are winning this battle against insanity.

Cheers!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by RedboneSmith(m): 4:27pm On Apr 29, 2020
gregyboy:

Check well this time with my arrow

He spelt it as ebowani

RedboneSmith bam waiting for your next counter
Am doing a vigorous research on benin-ife possibilities so i wont you to bring fact thats is new but well documented to ascertain discussion so when am writing i can point out this fact

Lmao. I got four mentions for just this one small comment? grin grin

You're really bored sha. Looking for an argument anyhow. What is your evidence that Ebowani is the same as Ewuare? The names don't even look or sound similar. That the writer of that article (Stefan Eisenhofer) assumed they were the same person and put the names side by side isn't proof enough that it was the same person.

And on the issue of Oranmiyan, given the fact that it was said by some that he didn't reign but only gave birth to the first ruler of the second dynasty (Eweka), it is understandable why his name would be absent in some kinglists.

By the way, the current Oba has affirmed that Oranmiyan indeed is the founder of the current dynasty. Are you calling your oba a liar? Please answer this question. Very important.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by RamessesIV(m): 4:37pm On Apr 29, 2020
Am mostly talking from the benin account though,most nigerian histories tend to have a mythological sense to it,am not one who distort history to serve agenda(very common with black people),and am a skeptic,before I do away with established myths or history the new claim must go through scrutiny with backed-up credible evidence,so I tend to look at things from both sides,and besides am new to this app but I have noticed a lot of tribal bigotry why is this so
TAO11:

Moreover, I'm mos certain that you as a person do no harbour such low-self esteem to cause you feel inferior because of such as account.

Hkwever

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by RamessesIV(m): 4:41pm On Apr 29, 2020
So i don't understand so i left quora egypt was white vs Egypt was black to come here for another one

Sorry to ask what is the bone of contention here that benin and Yoruba don't have history or one culture is superior to others Cause I don't understand
TAO11:

Moreover, I know you to an extent that I am most certain that you as a person do no harbour such low-self esteem to cause you to feel inferior because of the existence of such accounts.

There are however some of your own? --- such as gregyboy, davidnazee, samuk, and to some extent AreaFada2, among others --- who are so miserably riddled by inferiority complex, low-self esteem, delusions of grandeur, and insecurity --- that they will go to any extent (including insulting Benin Kings sometimes) just to dissociate themselves from the real-world of sanity.

So my engagement with them is actually in the context of rehabilitation (or put differently in religious context --- reviving lost souls).

To achieve this end, I some times adopt the idea of tough love, in case you see me go hard. It's all for their food.

Cheers!
Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by TAO11(f): 5:01pm On Apr 29, 2020
RamessesIV:
So i don't understand so i left quora egypt was white vs Egypt was black to come here for another one

Sorry to ask what is the bone of contention here that benin and Yoruba don't have history or one culture is superior to others Cause I don't understand

Hahahahaha!

So, history submits that Ife and Benin has dynastic connections with Ife being the origin of the Benin dynasty.

All Ife traditional accounts consistently aligns with this historical submission in its entirety.

Classical Benin traditional accounts also align with this historical submission, while modern (from the 1970s) Benin accounts although agree with the connection asserts that Benin is the origin of the Ife monarchy.

Now, all the foregoing Bini Nairalanders I mentioned used to agree with the modern Benin account until a couple of weeks ago when something happened.

Weeks ago, I demonstrated that the scholars of Benin history the world-over regard the modern Benin account as an "apocryphical", a "pseudohistorical", and a "deliberately unauthentic" narrative made up by some Bini intelligentsia in order to ground the false idea of some exceptional antiquity for their people.

After, this exposé, they became stuck in between two options, viz.

(1) Accepting the historical account that Ife is the origin of Benin's present dynasty, or

(2) Rejecting the Ife and Benin Connection altogether.

Guess what they went with! ... Your guess is as good as mine. cheesy grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by TAO11(f): 5:14pm On Apr 29, 2020
RamessesIV:
Am mostly talking from the benin account though,most nigerian histories tend to have a mythological sense to it,am not one who distort history to serve agenda(very common with black people),and am a skeptic,before I do away with established myths or history the new claim must go through scrutiny with backed-up credible evidence,so I tend to look at things from both sides,and besides am new to this app but I have noticed a lot of tribal bigotry why is this so

Got you!

The Ife-Benin relationship is although well established with early-1500s European writtings which speak to it.

And regarding mythology, yes it pervades all cultures and history in the world not only Bini or Nigeria.

However, experts examining mythologies all over the world do not simply discount mythologies as valueless.

In fact, what I have learnt recently from examining mythologies from many ancient cultures around the world (particularly Flood myths), is that those myths didn't actually pop up from thin air.

Considering their preponderance in almost all cultures of the ancient world (from Asia, to Europe, to the Americas, and to Africa) among other reasons, geo-mythologists conclude that they are based on a kernel of historical fact and event that later became exaggerated, distorted, snowballed into what we have come to meet them to be.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by RamessesIV(m): 5:28pm On Apr 29, 2020
Hmm one thing am sure of according to their myths/history is that Benin had a prince from ife and left his son to become king and later went to Yoruba land,in Yoruba account that king is thought to be oranmiyan they said he was a yoruba prince that went to Benin(I think),in either case this shows that both Benin and ife have a unique history and connection but have different accounts of myths

Take example in esan we a king or warrior who defeated the Benin and killed the oba,in benin account esans didn't defeat them or kill their king their king was betrayed and got killed in battle but at the end is generally agreed that the Oba lost his life in the war to esans

So I think the bone of contention here should be is

if the prince was from Benin sent to ife??

If ife sent a prince to benin??
(Mind you am not well knowledgable in both myths everything is from the little I can remember so please bear my errors)

Mind you I would like to say is that benin,ife both have lovely cultures and history I do not see the need to prove a myth right to show some faux superiority,the romans claimed to come from troy in greece after it's fall doesn't downplay the achievement of rome or the cultural significance of both rome and greece take example our Hausa/fulanis i don't really see them engaging in such arguments
TAO11:

Hahahahaha!

So, history submits that Ife and Benin has dynastic connections with Ife being the origin of the Benin dynasty.

All Ife traditional accounts consistently aligns with this historical submission in its entirety.

Classical Benin traditional accounts align with this historical submission, while [b]modern (from the 1970s) Benin accounts although agree with the connection asserts that Benin is the origin of the Ife monarchy.

Now, all the foregoing Bini Nairalanders used to agree with the modern Bini account until a couple of weeks ago when something happened.

Weeks ago, I demonstrated that the scholars of Benin history the world-over regard the modern Benin account as an "apocryphical", a "pseudohistorical", a "deliberately unauthentic" narrative made up by some Bini intelligentsia in order to ground the false idea of some exceptional antiquity for their people.

After, this exposé, they became stuck in between two options, viz.

(1) Accepting the historical account that Ife is the origin of Benin's present dynasty, or

(2) Rejecting the Ife and Benin Connection altogether.

Guess what they went with! ... Your guess is has good as mine.
Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by TAO11(f): 5:36pm On Apr 29, 2020
RamessesIV:
Hmm one thing am sure of according to their myths/history is that Benin had a prince from ife and left his son to become king and later went to Yoruba land,in Yoruba account that king is thought to be oranmiyan they said he was a yoruba prince that went to Benin(I think),in either case this shows that both Benin and ife have a unique history and connection but have different accounts of myths

Take example in esan we a king or warrior who defeated the Benin and killed the oba,in benin account esans didn't defeat them or kill their king their king was betrayed and got killed in battle but at the end is generally agreed that the Oba lost his life in the war to esans

(Mind you am not well knowledgable in both myths everything is from the little I can remember so please bear my errors)

Mind you I would like to say is that benin,ife both have lovely cultures and history I do not see the need to prove a myth right to show some faux superiority,the romans claimed to come from troy in greece after it's fall doesn't downplay the achievement of rome or the cultural significance of both rome and greece take example our Hausa/fulanis i don't really see them engaging in such arguments

Got you!

Moreover, there is a specific reason why I insist on correcting your description of this specific account as myth.

And the reason is simply that early eye-witness European writtings from as early as the 1500s testify to the dynastic dependence of Benin Kingdom on Ife.

Moreover, there are tons upon tons of historical writtings from historians all over the world affirming the account as history.

Those boys are only jonzing! grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by RamessesIV(m): 5:37pm On Apr 29, 2020
Yes even i am aware of it is just i came here and the supremacy argument is surprising

Am not discrediting myths,I just make sure they are highly scrutinzed,you know in Nigeria we didn't have our own written records,and our architecture is gone,arhcealogy is very poor so that's why I tend to be skeptical of african myths,and with the rise of afrocentrism taking over credible history I tend to be skeptical

Talking of ancient floods,the jewish flood myths is probable gotten from ancient mesopotamians mythology as part of the fertile crescent suffered great flooding that affected agriculture and production,archealogisy has found out that the mesopotamian myth is way too similar to the one found in the hebrew bible,and the fact mesopotamia pre-dates canaanites and jews and its influence makes it plausible
TAO11:

Got you!

The Ife-Benin relationship is although well established with early-1500s European writtings which speak to it.

And regarding mythology, yes it pervades all cultures and history in the world not only Bini or Nigeria.

However, experts examining mythologies all over the world do not simply discount mythologies as valueless.

In fact, what I have learnt recently from examining mythologies from many ancient cultures around the world (particularly Flood myths), is that those myths didn't actually pop up from thin air.

Considering their preponderance in almost all cultures of the ancient world (from Asia, to Europe, to the Americas, and to Africa) among other reasons, geo-mythologists conclude that they are based on a kernel of historical fact and event that later became exaggerated, distorted, snowballed into what have come to meet them to be.
Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by TAO11(f): 5:41pm On Apr 29, 2020
RamessesIV:
Yes even i am aware of it is just i came here and the supremacy argument is surprising

Am not discrediting myths,I just make sure they are highly scrutinzed,you know in Nigeria we didn't have our own written records,and our architecture is gone,arhcealogy is very poor so that's why I tend to be skeptical of african myths,and with the rise of afrocentrism taking over credible history I tend to be skeptical

Talking of ancient floods,the jewish flood myths is probable gotten from ancient mesopotamians mythology as part of the fertile crescent suffered great flooding that affected agriculture and production,archealogisy has found out that the mesopotamian myth is way too similar to the one found in the hebrew bible,and the fact mesopotamia pre-dates canaanites and jews and its influence makes it plausible

Got it!

I clarified something here which you may have missed tho. https://www.nairaland.com/5824498/benin-ife-never-connections-more#88996469

I will talk about the Flood myth later tho. Want to jump into a meeting now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by RamessesIV(m): 5:46pm On Apr 29, 2020
Am aware so i think is best to call it tradition then,i read from some british records that an ife looking sculpture was found in the palace after the sacking,so i think I am well to stick to what is widely believed but I will do well on my research I tend to have a thing for credible information devoid of agendas that's i don't do black vs white history,history should be viewed without bigotry or agendas

Sorry to ask if you don't mind are you historian

Or do you live outside nigeria?? Cause the way you buttress your points is not like regular Nigerians here i don't just want to equate it to being because you're a woman cause the males here have been utterly disappointed.
TAO11:

Got you!

Moreover, there is a specific reason why I insist on correcting your description of this specific account as myth.

And the reason is simply that early eye-witness European writtings from as early as the 1500s testify to the dynastic dependence of Benin Kingdom on Ife.

Moreover, there are tons upon tons of historical writtings from historians all over the world affirming the account as history.

Those boys are only jonzing! grin
Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by gregyboy(m): 5:58pm On Apr 29, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Lmao. I got four mentions for just this one small comment? grin grin

You're really bored sha. Looking for an argument anyhow. What is your evidence that Ebowani is the same as Ewuare? The names don't even look or sound similar. That the writer of that article (Stefan Eisenhofer) assumed they were the same person and put the names side by side isn't proof enough that it was the same person.

And on the issue of Oranmiyan, given the fact that it was said by some that he didn't reign but only gave birth to the first ruler of the second dynasty (Eweka), it is understandable why his name would be absent in some kinglists.

By the way, the current Oba has affirmed that Oranmiyan indeed is the founder of the current dynasty. Are you calling your oba a liar? Please answer this question. Very important.

The oba is Playing politics with your ooni

And yes our oba lied and so he his human

If he had won this Political tuggle it would have been a benefit for we edo people but his plans failed, so now we are setting things staright

If we are to believe the names are two different psrson then you should also note no other oba names came closer to ewaure and the other name in the benin history

Tell me why do you doubt this political struggle for power by our kings in the western region

Even ahen you know the alafin was one time the chairman of the traditional council until it was taken from him and given to the ooni

Tell me why you feel or know ife - benin existed
Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by AreaFada2: 6:14pm On Apr 29, 2020
TAO11:

There are however some of your own? --- such as gregyboy, davidnazee, samuk, and to some extent AreaFada2, among others --- who are so miserably riddled by inferiority complex, low-self esteem, delusions of grandeur, and insecurity --- that they will go to any extent (including insulting Benin Kings sometimes) just to dissociate themselves from the real-world of sanity.

To achieve this end, I some times adopt the idea of tough love, in case you see me go hard. It's all for their food.

Cheers!
Woman, please mind your tongue.
Benin people sit jeje and you guys begin threads on Benin.
Benin have no inferiority complex to anybody. Not even to the British in 1897. Otherwise Benin would have meekly signed up to British machinations without a fight.

Were you around when Oduduwa was alive? Which contemporary of Oduduwa documented his coming from Israel or Arabia?

If with all the many versions of Oduduwa, you want us to believe new ones written by Obas and Frederick as the truth and not call it a myth.
The problem with our SW people is playing population politics. Something Midwest realised 60 years ago and left Western Region. Your stories written down centuries later are not myths. Benin ones are myths. You guys have this notion that sun doesn't shine anywhere else.

But it's due to ignorance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by AreaFada2: 7:08pm On Apr 29, 2020
RamessesIV:

Thing is SW claim to be educated, sophisticated and so anyone else in the South should not say a word. We all should allow them twist and turn our history.
In their mind all the Sango, Orunnmila, Oduduwa and all are true. Even though they are tribal oral stories with many versions. But Benin stories are simply myths. Di not even mention anything Igbo to them.

When correct their version of your own story they hurl vulgar agbero insults at you which at same time claiming sophisticated. grin
What they forget is history lives and breathes in Benin. Even each family has a praise name called uwaenmen. Each family. Each family also greets elders in the morning with an ancient specific greeting. Not good morning as most other tribes do.

In the absence of writing it helped to identify family clan. Upon greeting elders, you knowing the historical feats and strength of each family progenitor, you are praised accordingly.

That way each Benin family clan and history is told daily. Every morning. You will never be found dead greeting the clan greeting of another family. Unless you married into that clan as woman.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by TAO11(f): 7:11pm On Apr 29, 2020
AreaFada2:

(1) Woman, please mind your tongue.
Benin people sit jeje and you guys begin threads on Benin.

(2) Benin have no inferiority complex to anybody. Not even to the British in 1897. Otherwise Benin would have meekly signed up to British machinations without a fight.

(3) Were you around when Oduduwa was alive? Which contemporary of Oduduwa documented his coming from Israel or Arabia?

(4) If with all the many versions of Oduduwa, you want us to believe new ones written by Obas and Frederick as the truth and not call it a myth.

(5) The problem with our SW people is playing population politics. Something Midwest realised 60 years ago and left Western Region.

(6) Your stories written down centuries later are not myths. Benin ones are myths. You guys have this notion that sun doesn't shine anywhere else.

But it's due to ignorance.
(1) May be you should begin an evaluation of your claim here by considering who the creator of this particular thread is, as well as the content he originally posted.

After that, then you may proceed to consider every other such thread (at least those where you've encountered me) and tell me who the creator is and what his original post says.

(2) Read that comment again and point out where I mentioned that the Binis' problem is only inferiority complex.

No, I made it clear that it is a mix of problems including delusions of grandeur.

Moreover, the expedition of the British against the Benin Kingdom is as the expedition of The Nigerian Army against IPOB.

One was simply at the receiving end, and at the mercy of the other. It was call a punitive expedition in history books for a reason.

(3) Turning the tables: ... Were you around when Ogiso Igodo was alive??

Which contemporary of Ogiso Igodo documented his descent from the sky to Benin-City round-about??

(4) Turning the tables: ... Which of the contradictory Bini versions of Ogiso Igodo do you want us to beleive??

Is it the Benin account which says he dived from the sky, or the Benin account which says he emigrated from Ife??

(5) Turning the tables: ... And the problem with our Bini subjects is that you all play the persecution-complex card/politics. And you played it again right there in your comment.

(6) First of all, you need to learn to read what you are replying to before replying.

I was clear in that comment that this particular Benin account is far from myth.

Moreover, more than 100 years before anything about Ubinu (Benin) was documented into writting, Ife has already been documented into writing by the most travelled human in the world's history.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by TAO11(f): 7:32pm On Apr 29, 2020
RamessesIV:
Am aware so i think is best to call it tradition then,i read from some british records that an ife looking sculpture was found in the palace after the sacking,so i think I am well to stick to what is widely believed but I will do well on my research I tend to have a thing for credible information devoid of agendas that's i don't do black vs white history,history should be viewed without bigotry or agendas

Sorry to ask if you don't mind are you historian

Or do you live outside nigeria?? Cause the way you buttress your points is not like regular Nigerians here i don't just want to equate it to being because you're a woman cause the males here have been utterly disappointed.

Got you!

History should definitely be without bigotry, and that's the reason I'm bent on rehabilitating those guys with facts. Lol.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by RamessesIV(m): 7:51pm On Apr 29, 2020
So this is a battle of supremacy then,i have noticed this with Nigerian ethnic groups too,I hear some Igbo tribes are part Edo some said they are fully Igbo,no one can tell anyone his history so I think is best we try to maintain peace and believe what ever origin story we want.
AreaFada2:

Thing is SW claim to be educated, sophisticated and so anyone else in the South should not say a word. We all should allow them twist and turn our history.
In their mind all the Sango, Orunnmila, Oduduwa and all are true. Even though they are tribal oral stories with many versions. But Benin stories are simply myths. Di not even mention anything Igbo to them.

When correct their version of your own story they hurl vulgar agbero insults at you which at same time claiming sophisticated. grin
What they forget is history lives and breathes in Benin. Even each family has a praise name called uwaenmen. Each family. Each family also greets elders in the morning with an ancient specific greeting. Not good morning as most other tribes do.

In the absence of writing it helped to identify family clan. Upon greeting elders, you knowing the historical feats and strength of each family progenitor, you are praised accordingly.

That way each Benin family clan and history is told daily. Every morning. You will never be found dead greeting the clan greeting of another family. Unless you married into that clan as woman.
Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by RamessesIV(m): 7:52pm On Apr 29, 2020
Ehen I didn't want to sound sexist,but is very hard to see Nigerian women who share similar interest with me,so if am may ask what is your interest in this Benin vs Yoruba debate
TAO11:

Got you!

History should definitely be without bigotry, and that's the reason I'm bent on rehabilitating those guys with facts.
Lol .
Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by RamessesIV(m): 7:58pm On Apr 29, 2020
TAO11:

Who was it
Moreover, more than 100 years before anything about Ubinu (Benin) was documented into writting, Ife has already been documented into writing by the most travelled human in the world's history.
Re: Benin And Ife Never Had Any Connections more facts to this by TAO11(f): 8:13pm On Apr 29, 2020
RamessesIV:
Who was it

Oh just seeing this.

An Arab by the name Ibn Battûta!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife's Breathtaking Castle (photos) / Are There Any Places Of Historical Interest In Your Town ? / Why We Should Support Tribal Marriages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.