Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,191 members, 7,818,620 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:02 PM

79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams (34673 Views)

Buhari Celebrates Ex-president Obasanjo At 79 / Governor Okowa's Message To Obasanjo At 79 / APC Senators Fight As Truce Meeting Fails Again - Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by SEFAGO(m): 3:17am On Jan 21, 2011
man the non-mensa guy beat me to it
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Jenifa1: 3:58am On Jan 21, 2011
lol.
anyway sha, thanks for the "naija parlance" 101
anymore naija speak I need to know?

but what's the aversion to the use of the term "liberal arts" to cover what natasha is studying anyways? yea naija call it "arts" but it's still liberal arts. different slangs same definition. ain't it? or is there something else I need to know about this?
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:31am On Jan 21, 2011
You can't say "liberal arts" with as powerful a sneer and with as much derision in your voice as you can "arts."

That's probably the root of it all. Anyway "arts" is a more accurate term actually. Liberal arts actually included science in olden times.
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Jenifa1: 4:44am On Jan 21, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

You can't say "liberal arts" with as powerful a sneer and with as much derision in your voice as you can "arts."
That's probably the root of it all. Anyway "arts" is a more accurate term actually. Liberal arts actually included science in olden times.

hhahaha that is my guess too but I didn't want to say anything.  grin before they come back with their "you are wrong" lectures.

I thought biology is required? I agree though that maybe more science should be included if there isn't enough.
even here in US, although most students pick their subjects in college, usually only the minimum in science is required for liberal arts students. many go through university without setting eyes on chemistry or other science classes. lol  but it is required in high school though so I guess that makes up for it.
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Atreides(f): 2:22pm On Jan 21, 2011
Never heard the term 'liberal arts' in my life. undecided undecided There's no such thing as 'liberal arts' in Naija. Art students are non-science students. It doesn't neccesarily mean they do fine art/drawing/worreva.
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Natasha2(f): 2:32pm On Jan 21, 2011
Jenifa_:

do you mean liberal arts or fine arts?
I meant ARTS lol in Nigeria there's nothing like liberal arts if you are an art student it means you are a non science student and that's it. anyway fine art comes up on its own in the UNI i.e for someone who wants to be an artist (drawing , painting etc).
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by fstranger1: 2:37pm On Jan 21, 2011
Natasha,,:

I meant ARTS lol in Nigeria there's nothing like liberal arts if you are an art student it means you are a non science student and that's it. anyway fine art comes up on its own in the UNI i.e for someone who wants to be an artist (drawing , painting etc).
Atreides:

Never heard the term 'liberal arts' in my life. undecided undecided

Did I not tell you that she is a phuucing liar!

She has never been to Naija, let alone school there

She is prolly a whitey dating or married to a Naija man.

I hate liars!
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by fstranger1: 2:43pm On Jan 21, 2011
Jenifa_:

lol.
anyway sha, thanks for the "naija parlance" 101
anymore naija speak I need to know?
[b]but what's the aversion to the use of the term "liberal arts" to cover what natasha is studying anyways? [/b]yea naija call it "arts" but it's still liberal arts. different slangs same definition. ain't it? or is there something else I need to know about this?

How can you have a disliking to something you have no idea about.

Just be honest and come out

And, as you can tell already, we a nice set of people and we will be able to put you through!

Stop lying and faking and cunningly try to fish for the truth. It doesnt look good on you!
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jan 21, 2011
@ topic,

facebooking don too much
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jan 21, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Lets not get too hung up on terminology but anyway in America Liberal Arts Colleges offer a broad range of courses including not just the arts but the pure science subjects as well like courses like maths, physics, chemistry and biology.
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by SEFAGO(m): 8:13pm On Jan 21, 2011
^ nah, thats just google/wikipedia that you used- in general liberal arts is just an educational system that is used in the US. Its more the development of learning a field using the socratic method of critical thinking. So its not just Liberal art colleges that use this method- all the big names are in essence liberal arts colleges.

Its very very different from educational systems in the rest of the world which emphasize cramming and spitting out what you cram without knowing how to apply it to solve issues.

So in a biology exam instead of being asked " list three type of drugs that can cure cancer" you would be asked "given the organic structure of a molecule, elaborate on what type of disease that this drug can cure, and the mechanism that is involved"
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Jenifa1: 7:39am On Jan 22, 2011
tensor777:

Lets not get too hung up on terminology but anyway in America Liberal Arts Colleges offer a broad range of courses including not just the arts but the pure science subjects as well like courses like maths, physics, chemistry and biology.

it's still the same idea. ex. check the definition of "bachelor of arts."

Not many students would welcome such a system in Nigeria as they do avoid the sciences and languages even though thse subjects are of crucial. importance

you say this as if the students control the education board. anything to blame the students for the horrible educational system we have in nigeria abi? In my school most students would avoid sciences and languages too but they are a requirement for graduation.
students shouldn't be deciding requirements. the education board should be doing that.

in fact, there will be no school at all if all the decisions were left to the student. think about that.  yea you'll find some atreides geeks  here and there but many will avoid attending school altogether if it wasn't required to get a degree.

and the thing about expo/ cheating, it should be common sense that that is the result of lack of law enforcement. cheating will always exist yes. but the rate shouldn't be too high if an efficient system is in place.
in fact, when I took primary school common entrance exam, the moderators were reading the answers aloud to us!! talk about blame the system. by secondary school, level of moral was -100% people were leaving school by jumping over fences, cheating in exams were taken for granted. kinda like paying bribe at the airport. when there is no proper system in place, chaos will be the order of the day.
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by misaac: 8:01pm On Jan 25, 2011
Natasha,,:

who told you it doesn't make sense? it depends i.e some one who wants to study a course like law should be an intelligent thinker with a very good sense of reasoning and posse

Yes, this was the reason I was given and that is why I read arts in secondary school. However, looking back, I think I agree with Chiogo.

However, I have to assure you that the assertion in the italicized part below is not necessarily the case, the 'science' students are not necessarily more serious than the arts students. I know because I just got out of high school not too long ago. And you are wrong when you say that most students are not thinking of going on to university. Nigeria's labour market is extremely certificate crazy, I know because I tried to get work once out of high school(i didn't want to go to any govt. run university because they are not much different from the high schools) and found that a high school leaver can hardly get a decent job, something my parents assure me was not the case in their time. So please get rid of the idea that most Nigerian students don't want to go to university.

tensor777:

Anyway most of these students are not thinking of going on to university. The whole point of taking these subjects is just to negotiate the school system with the minimum of stress and aggro.
Be that as it may, I think the optional system backfired since as I say most students take the easy way out. Even more importantly the system DOES NEED to produce much more scientists and technicians than it is currently producing. So basically by eschewing subjects like physics and chemistry these students are being constrained in their choice of career after high school.

However I agree with you that limiting my scope by studying arts was not a good idea. For one, if I a science student has easier mobility and can one day wake up and decide he wants to read law and do so simply by reading the required texts in goverment, commerce and whatever else is needed. I for a person originally thought I wanted to study Law, but not any longer. I now want to study computing, something I've fallen crazily in love with, and have to spend a lot of time learning science stuff I should/could have learned in high school if the curriculum was more like the American curriculum.

After much thinking, I must say though that the problem does not start in secondary school. It starts at primary school. I recently had to learn more about the American Educational system, and the things Americans are taught in primary school, its incredible. The access to facilities, labs, etc its just wonderful. I'm not saying every American kid is this fortunate or that the American system is perfect, no system is.

I'm not trying to excuse secondary schools in Nigeria, just pointing out that the secondary schools are part of a terrible mess of poor education starting from primary and running up to the tertiary institutions. If i were to have kids, I would homeschool them and model their education on the American k12 system.
Jenifa_:

and the thing about expo/ cheating, it should be common sense that that is the result of lack of law enforcement. cheating will always exist yes. but the rate shouldn't be too high if an efficient system is in place.
in fact, when I took primary school common entrance exam, the moderators were reading the answers aloud to us!! talk about blame the system. by secondary school, level of moral was -100% people were leaving school by jumping over fences, cheating in exams were taken for granted. kinda like paying bribe at the airport. when there is no proper system in place, chaos will be the order of the day.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. The will to curtail cheating just isn't there! Take the SAT for example, is an example of an exam that it's pretty hard to cheat on. So many Nigerians get high scores in WASSCE but thier SAT scores are not what you would expect from guys with such scores. Yet Nigerians are so cheat crazy that they tried cheating on one recently conducted in Lagos. Well, the Collegeboard canceled the test because they detected cheating using technology (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/education/28cheat.html?_r=1) . Its as simple as that. Agreed innocents may be hurt every now and then, but certainly, after a while, I guess the cheaters will give up when they are repeatedly caught cheating, especially if the 21 years recommended punishment is actually implemented.
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Kobojunkie: 12:13am On Jan 26, 2011
misaac:

After much thinking, I must say though that the problem does not start in secondary school. It starts at primary school. I recently had to learn more about the American Educational system, and the things Americans are taught in primary school, its incredible. The access to facilities, labs, etc its just wonderful. I'm not saying every American kid is this fortunate or that the American system is perfect, no system is.

I can attest to this one oo. My niece is in public school and the stuff she learns, and is exposed to, the average Nigerian child of the same age can only dream of. This gal is only 6 years old, and she has her science classes in a mini lab for grade school students. It is amazing what the kids here are exposed to. When you compare it to what we are doing to generations of our own kids in Nigeria, one can only weep. cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by fstranger1: 12:32am On Jan 26, 2011
^^^

Despite, we have produced a Nobel prize winner, produced Emeagwali, produced Nnaji, produced Okonjo Iweala and her husband, produced Chinua Achebe, produced lots and lots of professionals plying their trade in America including yours truly.

You can say whatever you want about Nigeria, until you get off you sorry azz and do something, you are just as guilty as the people you deride and criticize. Life must be really difficult for you. Sorry you went through a bad childhood.

Some of us had the best education in Nigeria and we would not trade it for anything American.
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Kobojunkie: 5:10am On Jan 26, 2011
misaac:

After much thinking, I must say though that the problem does not start in secondary school. It starts at primary school. I recently had to learn more about the American Educational system, and the things Americans are taught in primary school,  its incredible. The access to facilities, labs, etc its just wonderful. I'm not saying every American kid is this fortunate or that the American system is perfect, no system is.

I can attest to this one oo. My niece is in public school and the stuff she learns, and is exposed to, the average Nigerian child of the same age can only dream of. This gal is only 6 years old, and she has her science classes in a mini lab for grade school students. It is amazing what the kids here are exposed to. When you compare it to what we are doing to generations of our own kids in Nigeria, one can only weep.  cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by fstranger1: 5:11am On Jan 26, 2011
^^^

Despite, we have produced a Nobel prize winner, produced Emeagwali, produced Nnaji, produced Okonjo Iweala and her husband, produced Chinua Achebe, produced lots and lots of professionals plying their trade in America including yours truly.

You can say whatever you want about Nigeria, until you get off you sorry azz and do something, you are just as guilty as the people you deride and criticize. Life must be really difficult for you. Sorry you went through a bad childhood.

Some of us had the best education in Nigeria and we would not trade it for anything American.
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Jenifa1: 7:44am On Jan 26, 2011
fstranger1:

true. Education in Nigeria can be of good quality but not too many people have access to this. majority of students don't.

After much thinking, I must say though that the problem does not start in secondary school. It starts at primary school. I recently had to learn more about the American Educational system, and the things Americans are taught in primary school,  its incredible. The access to facilities, labs, etc its just wonderful. I'm not saying every American kid is this fortunate or that the American system is perfect, no system is.

This is exactly what i've been trying to say. Govt needs to focus on public primary schools especially. I had classmates in my public local secondary school who couldn't spell some basic three letter words. Majority of these students came from the public primary school next door. You can imagine my shock. that's nursery school stuff!!

even the US has its problems and could do way better (ex. public schools in inner cities are horrible) compared to other countries with similar income level. I already mentioned this but Finland is one country that invests heavily in its students education right from birth (govt delivers children books to parents who just gave birth, there are libraries in the mall etc ). More attention is geared toward weak students etc and their students have some of the highest exam scores in the world with a very low gap between the best and worst students.
I'm not saying Nigeria can afford these programs but I think we can do much better than currently.
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by misaac: 10:12pm On Jan 27, 2011
fstranger1:

^^^

I'm just wondering, is it totally right to say we have produced those guys? Are you sure these guys would be who they are now if they had not left Nigeria? If Nigeria was so good, why did they have to leave? Could it be because something was/is lacking?

Okay, can we think of any American or European who, lets say went to high school in his country, then moved to Nigeria and became as big as these guys?

It seems you have a problem with someone on this thread and while I don't want to get into it, I'm just wondering, what are you yourself doing about Nigeria?

I'm happy you had the best education in Nigeria. I can assure you that you are most likely an exception or that the percentage of people who truly feel the way you do about their Nigerian education is rather low. So while you were among the fortunate, the majority of Nigerians are not in your shoes and that's why we even have this thread going on, I believe.
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Kobojunkie: 4:40am On Jan 28, 2011
Truly sad, the situation down there.
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Nobody: 11:34am On Jan 28, 2011
misaac:

I'm just wondering, is it totally right to say we have produced those guys? Are you sure these guys would be who they are now if they had not left Nigeria? If Nigeria was so good, why did they have to leave? Could it be because something was/is lacking?
You are just talking off point whilst still managing to come up with arrant tripe. We are discussing high school education remember.
The point F stranger was making is that the system does produce a lot of white collar graduates and professionals who excel all over the world.
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Kobojunkie: 1:57pm On Jan 28, 2011
^^^^ Can you please provide evidence to show that the system we have today is the very same system in place in the 1960's when some of our great universities were associate foreign schools?  undecided. And the same system can be credited for producing even one of the relevant names listed?

Only a while back, I had a debate on this with a friend who believed she was a product of the Nigerian school system. She attended a private primary school in Nigeria about 20 years ago and even back then, the private primary school was at least 10 times better than the average primary school then. I know this because I went from one public school to another before ending up in a private primary school, and then back in public school after graduating from primary grade.

She went on to finish up half of her secondary school years in a federal girls secondary school(which again is NOT to be compared with the average public secondary school since even back then, federal schools were considered many times better than ordinary public schools) before moving on the public school system in the UK, and then university in the UK. Her argument was that her education in Nigeria prepared her, but she just could not see that even the bit she got in Nigeria does not compare with what the average Nigerian(mind you the HUGE MAJORITY) have access to. She is right now in the US, and she still thinks she is a product of the Nigerian school system when she never spent a day living even shadowing the average Nigerian  out there.

Seriously, I think in other to show that we respect the plight of those who probably do not have the same opportunities we ourselves had, and have today( as I believe most of these on here probably never went to any of those public schools or real schools in Nigeria), we need to each spend some time educating ourselves and understanding what really exists today, then compare it to our FANTASTICAL ideas what our system used to be. That way we don't offer up obtuse posts proposing the system has remained CONSTANT in all that time that has passed and that every Nigerian out there has access to the same UNIQUE opportunities we ourselves were privy to.
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jan 28, 2011
Kobojunkie you have just been raising people's hackles with your blanket condemnation of the entire educational system when it should be obvious to you that the system excels in some aspects whilst being mediocre in other aspects.
What can be done to ameliorate the challenging condition of public high schools in the rural area? Many constructive suggerstions have ALREADY been made on this thread regarding this issue so no point rehashing them.
But these suggestions do not include the government funding these rural schools to Western levels as that is a definite non starter.
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Kobojunkie: 2:22pm On Jan 28, 2011
Chinua Achebe's Education

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinua_Achebe

In 1936, Achebe entered St Philips' Central School. Despite his protests, he spent a week in the religious class for young children, but was quickly moved to a higher class when the school's chaplain took note of his intelligence.[10] One teacher described him as the student with the best handwriting in class, and the best reading skills.[11] He also attended Sunday school every week and the special evangelical services held monthly, often carrying his father's bag. A controversy erupted at one such session, when apostates from the new church challenged the catechist about the tenets of Christianity. Achebe later included a scene from this incident in Things Fall Apart.[12][13]

At the age of twelve, Achebe moved away from his family to the village of Nekede, four kilometres from Owerri. He enrolled as a student at the Central School, where his older brother John taught.[14] In Nekede, Achebe gained an appreciation for Mbari, a traditional art form which seeks to invoke the gods' protection through symbolic sacrifices in the form of sculpture and collage.[15] When the time came to change to secondary school, in 1944, Achebe sat entrance examinations for and was accepted at both the prestigious Dennis Memorial Grammar School in Onitsha and the even more prestigious Government College in Umuahia.[16]

Modelled on the British public school, and funded by the colonial administration, Government College had been established in 1929 to educate Nigeria's future elite.[16] It had rigorous academic standards and was vigorously elitist, accepting boys purely on the basis of ability.[16] The language of the school was English, not only to develop proficiency but also to provide a common tongue for pupils from different Nigerian language groups.[17] Achebe described this later as being ordered to "put away their different mother tongues and communicate in the language of their colonisers".[18] The rule was strictly enforced and Achebe recalls that his first punishment was for asking another boy to pass the soap in Igbo.[17]

University
[b]In 1948, in preparation for independence, Nigeria's first university opened.[22] Known as University College, (now the University of Ibadan), it was an associate college of the University of London. [/b]Achebe obtained such high marks in the entrance examination that he was admitted as a Major Scholar in the university's first intake and given a bursary to study medicine.[22] After a year of grueling work, he changed to English, history, and theology.[23] Because he switched his field, however, he lost his scholarship and had to pay tuition fees. He received a government bursary, and his family also donated money – his older brother Augustine gave up money for a trip home from his job as a civil servant so Chinua could continue his studies.[24] From its inception, the university had a strong English faculty; it includes many famous writers amongst its alumni. These include Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka, novelist Elechi Amadi, poet and playwright John Pepper Clark, and poet Christopher Okigbo.[25]
In 1950 Achebe wrote a piece for the University Herald entitled "Polar Undergraduate", his debut as an author. It used irony and humour to celebrate the intellectual vigour of his classmates.[26] He followed this with other essays and letters about philosophy and freedom in academia, some of which were published in another campus magazine, The Bug.[27] He served as the Herald's editor during the 1951–2 school year.[28]

While at the university, Achebe wrote his first short story, "In a Village Church", which combines details of life in rural Nigeria with Christian institutions and icons, a style which appears in many of his later works.[29] Other short stories he wrote during his time at Ibadan (including "The Old Order in Conflict with the New" and "Dead Men's Path"wink examine conflicts between tradition and modernity, with an eye toward dialogue and understanding on both sides.[30] When a professor named Geoffrey Parrinder arrived at the university to teach comparative religion, Achebe began to explore the fields of Christian history and African traditional religions.[31]
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Kobojunkie: 2:25pm On Jan 28, 2011
Okonjo-Iweala's Education
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ngozi_Okonjo-Iweala

Education and personal life

Okonjo-Iweala is an Igbo[3] from Ogwashi-Uku, Delta State where her father Professor Chukuka Okonjo is the Obi, or King, from the Umu Obi Obahai Royal Family of Ogwashi-Ukwu.
Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was educated at Harvard University, graduating magna cumlaude with an A.B. in 1977, and earned her Ph.D. in regional economics and development from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). [/b]She is married - her husband is from Umuahia, Abia State[4] - and they have four children. The eldest, Onyinye Iweala [b]received her Ph.D. in Experimental Pathology from Harvard University in 2008 and graduated Harvard Medical School in 2010. Her son, Uzodinma Iweala, is the author of the critically acclaimed novel Beasts of No Nation (2005).'
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Kobojunkie: 2:27pm On Jan 28, 2011
Emegwali's Education

Emeagwali was born in Akure, Nigeria on 23 August 1954.[1] His early schooling was suspended in 1967 due to the Nigerian-Biafran war. When he turned fourteen, he served in the Biafran army. [b]After the war he completed a high-school equivalency through self-study. He travelled to the United States to study under a scholarship after taking a correspondence course at the University of London.[citation needed] He received a bachelor's degree in mathematics from Oregon State University in 1977. [/b]He worked as a civil engineer at the Bureau of Land Reclamation in Wyoming during this period

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Emeagwali
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Kobojunkie: 2:46pm On Jan 28, 2011
Wole Soyinka's Education
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wole_Soyinka

In 1940, after attending St. Peters Primary School, Soyinka went to Abẹokuta Grammar School, where he won several prizes for literary composition. In 1946 he was accepted by Government College in Ibadan, at that time one of Nigeria’s elite secondary schools. After the completion of his studies there, Soyinka moved to Lagos where he found employment as a clerk. During this time he wrote some radio plays and short stories that were broadcast on Nigerian radio stations. After finishing his course in 1952, he began studies at University College in Ibadan,connected with University of London. During this course he studied English literature, Greek, and Western history.

In the year 1953-1954, his second and last at University College, Ibadan, Soyinka commenced work on his first publication, a short radio broadcast for Nigerian Broadcasting Service National Programme called "Keffi's Birthday Threat," which was broadcast in July 1954 on Nigerian Radio Times. Whilst at university, Soyinka and six others founded the Pyrates Confraternity, the first confraternity in Nigeria.
Soyinka gives a detailed account of his early life in Aké: The Years of Childhood, which chronicles his experiences until about the age of ten.
[edit]Studies abroad and at home

Later in 1954 Soyinka relocated to England, where he continued his studies in English literature, under the supervision of his mentor Wilson Knight at the University of Leeds. He became acquainted then with a number of young, gifted British writers. Before defending his B.A., Soyinka successfully engaged in literary fiction, publishing several pieces of comedic nature. He also worked as an editor for The Eagle, an infrequent periodical of humorous character. In a page two column in The Eagle, he wrote commentaries on academic life, often stingingly criticizing his university peers. Well known for his sharp tongue, he is said to have courteously defended, affronted and insulted female colleagues.[citation needed]
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Kobojunkie: 2:58pm On Jan 28, 2011
Gani Fawehinmi's Education
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gani_Fawehinmi

Gani had his early education at Ansar-Ud-Deen Primary School, Iyemaja - Ondo from 1947 to 1953 and his secondary school education at Victory College Ikare, a Christian School from 1954 to 1958, [/b]under the leadership of the Late Rev. Akinrele where he sat for and passed his West African School Certificate Examination in 1958.

Law Student

Gani enrolled at the [b]Holborn College of Law- University of London to read law in 1961
. While at University, his father died. He completed his academic degree in London with a measure of difficulty due to lack of funds. This involved doing various menial jobs in London.
While in college, he was popularly known as "Nation" because of his passionate interest in national, legal and political affairs. He was an avid reader of Daily Times and West African Pilot, the most popular newspapers in Nigeria at that time.
On June 11, 1993 Fawehinmi was awarded the biennial Bruno Kreisky Prize. This prize, named in honour of Bruno Kreisky, is awarded to international figures who advance human rights causes. In 1998, he received the International Bar Association's 'Bernard Simmons Award' in recognition of his human-rights and pro-democracy work. In 1994 he and some other notable Nigerians formed the National Conscience Party of Nigeria which exists till today and he stood for a presidential election in 2003 under the umbrella of the National Conscience Party.
Gani Fawehinmi was elevated to the rank of Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), the highest legal title in Nigeria in September, 2001.
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by fstranger1: 3:00pm On Jan 28, 2011
WHat is your point?

Shifting the goal post as usual?

I thought your point was that nothing good came out of the Naija's system?
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by Kobojunkie: 3:08pm On Jan 28, 2011
misaac:

Honestly, I don't think our system produced many of those we consider the great in Nigeria today. Looking at their education record, it is all too clear that they were not produced by the Nigerian system. They may have been helped along but definitely not produced, not according to wiki records of them.

Also, the education system has witnessed a decline, so it is obnoxious to state that the very system available back in the 1960's - 1970's is what we still have today. We know this is not true from the fact that the government has changed it so many times since then, and I believe there are plans to change it yet again.
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by fstranger1: 3:16pm On Jan 28, 2011
^^^^

You are very very pathetic and highly stupidd ( no offense)

So Nigeria where they all had more than 12 years of their schooling did not produce these giants. They were all produced by the educational system of the foreign countries where they only attended for 4 yrs.

Does that make sense to you Kobo: 12 Vs 4. And, in your senile mind, 4 trumps 12. So it is the 4 yrs that Soyinka spent at Leeds that made him win the Nobel prize even though some of his stories and plays were from Yoruba folklore? Despite plagiarizing our collective memory and  works by D.O. Fagunwa and other Naija greats,you still want to give the credit to the Oyinbo man? Not to Wole Soyinka himself who labored night and day to achieve his dream. And, not to his so many Naija teachers and the unique Nigerian environment that shaped his life, outlook and attitude. You are just pathetic Kobo. You are disgusting.
Re: 79.6% Students Fails Again In Waec Exams by SEFAGO(m): 3:21pm On Jan 28, 2011
LOL

Sefago grabs pop corn, sits down, and gets ready for his friday morning entertainment

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Sani Adamu: Buhari's Former Driver Begs Him For Assistance (Video) / Gunmen Fired Shots At Oduah's Car In Abuja / Tribunal Judgment: Festus Keyamo Congratulates Buhari At Home (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.