Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,920 members, 7,952,697 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 09:29 PM

What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? (10896 Views)

She Is Ikwerre And Not Igbo / Wike Is Ikwerre From Bini But Amaechi Is Igbo / Titi Abubakar Speaks Igbo Language As She Campaigns For Her Husband. See Re (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Tranquill: 2:30pm On Jul 03, 2020
IJOBA2:
IS VAA EQUALLY THE BENIN WORD FOR COME
I know it is for Eshans and some tribe in the Volta region of Ghana that also trace their origin to Idu which is the present day Benin. Ikwerre people do not claim to be Binis but that their ancestors migrated from Benin unlike the Igbos who claim to have their ancestral origin in Ani Nri, Anambra. So their provenance are different. The Igbos know this also but just for the desperation of wanting to claim that Portharcourt belongs to the Igbos that's the reason they are forcing their imagination of seeing Ikwerre people as Igbos. Ikwerre is not Igbo.

1 Like

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Collyweed: 9:36am On Jul 04, 2020
Tranquill:

I know it is for Eshans and some tribe in the Volta region of Ghana that also trace their origin to Idu which is the present day Benin. Ikwerre people do not claim to be Binis but that their ancestors migrated from Benin unlike the Igbos who claim to have their ancestral origin in Ani Nri, Anambra. So their provenance are different. The Igbos know this also but just for the desperation of wanting to claim that Portharcourt belongs to the Igbos that's the reason they are forcing their imagination of seeing Ikwerre people as Igbos. Ikwerre is not Igbo.

All the Igbos that have told you that you're not Igbo on this thread are not enough.

You have to cling to a single Igbo person who has never met an Ikwerre man before to say that we are claiming you because of Pitakwa that you are even sharing with Okrika people.

P.S Igbo is an ethnic group not a single tribe. There are many tribes in Igboland (like Isu, Ngwa, Ndoki, Aro, Orotta etc) As such the question of a single origin story for all Igbo is inappropriate. A large percentage of Igbo people don't claim to originate from Nri. I don't even know where you got that assertion from.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:35pm On Jul 05, 2020
gartamanta:
If denial is how someone is identified as Igbo then it means that the Nsukka, Abiriba and Ngwa man can stop being Igbo any time they like just by denying it.

Correct. Now people beginning to understand.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by kingzizzy: 2:55pm On Jul 05, 2020
Tranquill:

Vaa is come in Ikwerre
Some also say bia.

Did you say that come is vaa in the Ikwerre language? The Ikwerre girl in the video was asked what 'come' is in Ikwerre and she said "bia". I have been to different parts of Ikwerre like Elele, Choba and Diobu and always say Bia, not vaa

1 Like

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Tranquill: 4:27pm On Jul 05, 2020
kingzizzy:

Did you say that come is vaa in the Ikwerre language? The Ikwerre girl in the video was asked what 'come' is in Ikwerre and she said "bia". I have been to different parts of Ikwerre like Elele, Choba and Diobu and always say Bia, not vaa

I have not seen the video you are talking about but like I said vaa is come for some, and bia for some others. Ikwerre has different dialects. Have you been to Emohua, Ndele, Rumuji, Ogbakiri etc? Even the 'bia' is pronounced differently by different Ikwerre tribes that use it.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Tranquill: 4:32pm On Jul 05, 2020
Collyweed:

All the Igbos that have told you that you're not Igbo on this thread are not enough.

You have to cling to a single Igbo person who has never met an Ikwerre man before to say that we are claiming you because of Pitakwa that you are even sharing with Okrika people.

P.S Igbo is an ethnic group not a single tribe. There are many tribes in Igboland (like Isu, Ngwa, Ndoki, Aro, Orotta etc) As such the question of a single origin story for all Igbo is inappropriate. A large percentage of Igbo people don't claim to originate from Nri. I don't even know where you got that assertion from.

Now may I ask,
Who is an Igbo man?
Who or what defines an Igbo man?
If an Hausa man moves from Bauchi to settle in Umuahia, at what point in his generation can they become Igbos?
Is being Igbo defined by language, ancestral origin or by default of birth location? Thanks.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Collyweed: 4:51pm On Jul 05, 2020
Tranquill:

Now may I ask,
Who is an Igbo man?
Who or what defines an Igbo man?
If an Hausa man moves from Bauchi to settle in Umuahia, at what point in his generation can they become Igbos?
Is being Igbo defined by language, ancestral origin or by default of birth location? Thanks.

Ethnicity is a social concept. It’s not by DNA. There are descendants of very recent Igala and even Ijaw immigrants in the SE who now identify as Igbo. In some parts of Abia, Efik names are not uncommon but today they all identify as Igbo.

Obviously, language is an important aspect of what makes you an Igbo person. However, I believe that you have to at least self identify as Igbo to be Igbo.

If you don’t identify as Igbo (not emergency identification like some potential presidential candidates oh) then you obviously not Igbo. Our culture doesn’t allow us to tell another man what to call himself.

1 Like

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by YakubuAugust: 9:51am On Jul 06, 2020
Isnt the whole reason they deny Igbos is because of political jostling?

Because they know Nigeria is ant-Igbo and want none of the discimination.

Collyweed:

Ethnicity is a social concept. It’s not by DNA. There are descendants of very recent Igala and even Ijaw immigrants in the SE who now identify as Igbo. In some parts of Abia, Efik names are not uncommon but today they all identify as Igbo.

Obviously, language is an important aspect of what makes you an Igbo person. However, I believe that you have to at least self identify as Igbo to be Igbo.

If you don’t identify as Igbo (not emergency identification like some potential presidential candidates oh) then you obviously not Igbo. Our culture doesn’t allow us to tell another man what to call himself.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Collyweed: 10:00am On Jul 06, 2020
YakubuAugust:

I frankly couldn’t give a fvck what a few hundred thousand people choose to call themselves. The other 40 million is more than enough company.

I’m not Yahweh and I can’t be searching for any lost sheep.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by AliDanjuma: 9:32pm On Jul 06, 2020
Ikwerre are not a couple hundred people lol

Collyweed:

I frankly couldn’t give a fvck what a few hundred thousand people choose to call themselves. The other 40 million is more than enough company.

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Tranquill: 11:12pm On Jul 06, 2020
YakubuAugust:

You could easily get your answer by finding out if they ever claimed or were accepted as Igbo before what you call anti-Igbo began. At least the Igbos were running the show in the old Eastern region, were they counted among the Igbos then? I don't even want to go into the ill treatment they suffered under the Igbos because that is a topic for another time.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Modarun(m): 11:28pm On Jul 06, 2020
Tranquill:

You could easily get your answer by finding out if they ever claimed or were accepted as Igbo before what you call anti-Igbo began. At least the Igbos were running the show in the old Eastern region, were they counted among the Igbos then? I don't even want to go into the ill treatment they suffered under the Igbos because that is a topic for another time.

Very funny watching how Yoruba folks jump on threads like this. Why? Oil annit?
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Abagworo(m): 11:29pm On Jul 06, 2020
Language wise Ikwerre is definitely Igbo but ethnicity wise it remains a hydra headed debate. There is difference between central Ikwerre and central Igbo but the fringes of both speak basically the same dialect. The deviation is probably 30% from a deeper dialect like Nnewi or Onitsha but 10% for Ohaji and 12% for Owerri and Etche. So Owerri, Ohaji and Etche will easily communicate with Ikwerre. Onitsha will communicate but with much more difficulty and stalemate in some circumstances

1 Like

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by 24SEVEN: 6:33am On Jul 07, 2020
Collyweed:

This few hundred thousand are the largest ethnic group in Rivers. And Rivers is more than 7million.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Blackking98(m): 7:41am On Jul 07, 2020
24SEVEN:

This few hundred thousand are the largest ethnic group in Rivers. And Rivers is more than 7million.
My man, are you ikwerre?
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by 24SEVEN: 8:24am On Jul 07, 2020
Blackking98:

My man, are you ikwerre?

I am from Okopedi in Okobo local government of Akwa Ibom state. I'm an APC member. grin grin

I'm from Ikwerre.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Blackking98(m): 8:30am On Jul 07, 2020
24SEVEN:

I am from Okopedi in Okobo local government of Akwa Ibom state. I'm an APC member. grin grin

I'm from Ikwerre.
Mad man grin

I made friends with an ikwerre girl recently on Whatsapp GC, we were discussing on how you guys were similar to igbos but she told me u guys speak different language from Igbo, is it true?
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Nobody: 8:37am On Jul 07, 2020
Blackking98:

Mad man grin

I made friends with an ikwerre girl recently on Whatsapp GC, we were discussing on how you guys were similar to igbos but she told me u guys speak different language from Igbo, is it true?

True.

She is very correct....
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Blackking98(m): 8:40am On Jul 07, 2020
Osagyefo98:

True.

She is very correct....
Oh wow
I thought you guys spoke almost the same language atleast.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Nobody: 8:43am On Jul 07, 2020
Blackking98:

Oh wow
I thought you guys spoke almost the same language atleast.

Not at all....the language are not similar or related in anyway...

She is not lying, the language are totally different.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Blackking98(m): 8:44am On Jul 07, 2020
Osagyefo98:

Not at all....the language are not similar or related in anyway...

She is not lying, the language are totally different.
Ha
If the languages are different then I think there's not much binding them to igbos. Cuz language is the most important aspect of culture and ethnicity.
Unless most ikwerres can speak both ikwerre and Igbo fluently. Still doesn't mean they can't be different from igbos if they choose to
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Nobody: 8:54am On Jul 07, 2020
Blackking98:

Ha
If the languages are different then I think there's not much binding them to igbos. Cuz language is the most important aspect of culture and ethnicity.
Unless most ikwerres can speak both ikwerre and Igbo fluently. Still doesn't mean they can't be different from igbos if they choose to

Well most people doesn't get to understand that. They are not igbos and same time the language is totally divergent.....ie not related to igbo.

Also people don't know when to Isolate sand from corn and that's why mistakes keeps cropping up. Ikwerre language have more convergence to bini if you understand bit of those two languages.

In all sincerity they are totally different from igbos. May you are not aware that Ikwerre has a seat in oba of bini palace representing them there?
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Collyweed: 9:19am On Jul 07, 2020
Abagworo:
Language wise Ikwerre is definitely Igbo but ethnicity wise it remains a hydra headed debate. There is difference between central Ikwerre and central Igbo but the fringes of both speak basically the same dialect. The deviation is probably 30% from a deeper dialect like Nnewi or Onitsha but 10% for Ohaji and 12% for Owerri and Etche. So Owerri, Ohaji and Etche will easily communicate with Ikwerre. Onitsha will communicate but with much more difficulty and stalemate in some circumstances

You’re mostly correct but you made an error. There is no such animal as central Igbo. No one speaks it. Even the synthesized dialect spoken in key urban areas differ from city to city.

So when you say Ikwerre differs from “central” Igbo, you’re basically saying nothing because all traditional Igbo dialects differ from the synthetic one.

P.S I think your 10% for Ohaji may be too high. I think it’s virtually the same with what is spoken in places close to the state border like Ubima. You may know better since you’re an Ikwerre speaker.

2 Likes

Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Blackking98(m): 9:29am On Jul 07, 2020
Osagyefo98:

Well most people doesn't get to understand that. They are not igbos and same time the language is totally divergent.....ie not related to igbo.

Also people don't know when to Isolate sand from corn and that's why mistakes keeps cropping up. Ikwerre language have more convergence to bini if you understand bit of those two languages.

In all sincerity they are totally different from igbos. May you are not aware that Ikwerre has a seat in oba of bini palace representing them there?
I'm not aware tho
It's alright
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by 24SEVEN: 9:32am On Jul 07, 2020
Blackking98:

Mad man grin

Somehow different, somehow similar. Depends on the clan and it's location. clans closer to Igboland is more related in language while this far especially those in Emohua LGA is very difficult for Igbos to understand. And they don't understand Igbo too.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Blackking98(m): 9:35am On Jul 07, 2020
24SEVEN:

Somehow different, somehow similar. Depends on the clan and it's location. clans closer to Igboland is more related in language while this far especially those in Emohua LGA is very difficult for Igbos to understand. And they don't understand Igbo too.
Sigh I understand now.
The problem with most igbos on NL is when a group has some form of similarity to them,they tend to want to annex that group or community which is really disgusting.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Nobody: 9:36am On Jul 07, 2020
Blackking98:

I'm not aware tho
It's alright

That's why people makes mistake because they never asked questions.

Their ancestry and migration was from bini to their present location. There was a time a moniker by name lawan ( u can check it up) studied them and took the research upon. Himself and established that since the bini ancestry is proved, and by facts he gathered it iss can easily be said that ikwerres are more of yorubas( though am quoting him) because he was able to discover and unravel mysteries.

One problem we have in this country is that people don't ask questions so that those who know can explain to them.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Blackking98(m): 9:38am On Jul 07, 2020
Osagyefo98:

That's why people makes mistake because they never asked questions.

Their ancestry and migration was from bini to their present location. There was a time a moniker by name lawan ( u can check it up) studied them and took the research upon. Himself and established that since the bini ancestry is proved, and by facts he gathered it iss can easily be said that ikwerres are more of yorubas( though am quoting him) because he was able to discover and unravel mysteries.

One problem we have in this country is that people don't ask questions so that those who know can explain to them.
I guess being neighbors with igbos influenced their culture too
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Nobody: 9:40am On Jul 07, 2020
24SEVEN:

Somehow totally different, somehow similar. Depends on the clan and it's location. clans closer to Igboland is more related in language while this far especially those in Emohua LGA is very difficult for Igbos to understand. And they don't understand Igbo too.

Blackking98, if you want to survive on nairaland, don't be deceived by petty logics and you should know that.

The reply is more like a weak theory and not sound. Discard it.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Blackking98(m): 9:41am On Jul 07, 2020
Osagyefo98:

Blackking98, if you want to survive on nairaland, don't be deceived by petty logics and you should know that.

The reply is more like a weak theory and not sound. Discard it.
Hm.
He does have a point tho to be honest.
I'm an ibibio man and I understand perfectly what he's saying.
As an analogy I'll use the case of my ethnic group ibibio and our sister tribe eket/ibeno
If you go to eket/ibeno today you'll hardly find anyone speaking their language,after English or pidgin the lingua franca is ibibio language. That however doesn't mean we ibibios can lay claim to them simply because they speak our language more than their ancestoral language.
That's where the misunderstanding usually comes between igbos and Rivers ethnic groups.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Nobody: 9:42am On Jul 07, 2020
Blackking98:

I guess being neighbors with igbos influenced their culture too

That's a lie afterall igbos are still neighbours with other ethnicities and their culture wasn't influenced.

The question should have been, what is their culture and is it related to igbo culture which the answer is No.

Now cross check bini culture and check their, maybe that will answer your question.
Re: What Is An Igboid Language? Is Ikwerre The Same Language As Igbo? by Kinematics: 9:44am On Jul 07, 2020
All I see here is Ibos forcing the Ikwerres to identify as Ibo by fire by force.

Says alot about the consequential majority tribe.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Fuel Hits N250/Litre In Abuja, Others, Queues Spread / Umahi Holds Rally In Ebonyi, Gives 3,480 Youths ₦2.6 Billion Startup Capital / FG Set To Release 60,000 Metric Tonnes Of Food Grains To Stabilise Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.